dadivots

What is YOUR key to hitting that Driver?

I am still searching desperately for driver help. I have major issues off the tee box.

I have started really concentrating on loading my weight and swing into my right heel. What I have noticed is that if I don't rush it my transition is much more smooth.

The biggest thing that has helped though is keeping my head behind the ball.

Well I'm off to hit some... the quest continues...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Stay behind the ball. That's a key point straight out of Harvey Penick. Keep working on it you'll get there!

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I like all the posts about tempo. It's a solid swing key with any stick and most importantly off the tee.

For me, I have to keep my hands slightly behind the ball which for someone reason helps me turn behind the ball better. If I use good tempo and turn my left shoulder behind the ball it keeps everything moving in the same direction.

Balance and tempo my friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Stay behind the ball. That's a key point straight out of Harvey Penick. Keep working on it you'll get there!

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

i read his little red book a year ago I will revisit it!! Thanks!

I am still searching desperately for driver help. I have major issues off the tee box.

I have started really concentrating on loading my weight and swing into my right heel. What I have noticed is that if I don't rush it my transition is much more smooth.

The biggest thing that has helped though is keeping my head behind the ball.

Well I'm off to hit some... the quest continues...

Loading the right foot/heel is usually about keeping the knee in or bent too. It can get over complicated. Often times the feeling of not loading the right foot is really just a matter of swaying, even if it is just a little. The move over the right foot can start with swaying back and then one has to move forward as the body tries to get back in balance. This is where ones head can get over or 'in front" of the ball too trying to get back to center or balance.

Something Jack did was hover or lift the club off the ground just a little, half an inch or so, before he took it away. Trying this makes setting the weight on the right foot easy with out having to move into it or sway back at all to do it. Its pretty easy to feel the weight over the right foot when the hands are hip high or parallel to the ground as the sway into the right side is eliminated, because the club, arms, and then upper torso move back over the right side and on top of the right foot without the effort of moving the knees or anything else to do it.

Hovering the club Jack style has helped many people feel and find the weight shift into the right side while keeping balance, as well as keeping the head behind the ball as your center, or sternum, is not moving back and forth in an attempt to find a weight shift.

I tried 2 things my last time out and had some pretty good success.

1. Left elbow down
    I try to remind myself to keep my left elbow (I'm right handed) pointed toward the ground at all times.  I find that when my left elbow points out I'm forced to "time" my swing to get the face square and use a lot of hand manipulation; keeping the elbow down keeps everything on plane and allows me to rotate through the ball.

2. Slight pause at the top
    I tried to have a nice little pause at the top of my backswing where I can "set" the downswing; helps me get the weight on my back foot and forces/encourages me to transfer weight into my front foot.
  • Like 2

Loading the right foot/heel is usually about keeping the knee in or bent too. It can get over complicated. Often times the feeling of not loading the right foot is really just a matter of swaying, even if it is just a little. The move over the right foot can start with swaying back and then one has to move forward as the body tries to get back in balance. This is where ones head can get over or 'in front" of the ball too trying to get back to center or balance.

Something Jack did was hover or lift the club off the ground just a little, half an inch or so, before he took it away. Trying this makes setting the weight on the right foot easy with out having to move into it or sway back at all to do it. Its pretty easy to feel the weight over the right foot when the hands are hip high or parallel to the ground as the sway into the right side is eliminated, because the club, arms, and then upper torso move back over the right side and on top of the right foot without the effort of moving the knees or anything else to do it.

Hovering the club Jack style has helped many people feel and find the weight shift into the right side while keeping balance, as well as keeping the head behind the ball as your center, or sternum, is not moving back and forth in an attempt to find a weight shift.

I tried the hovering thing last year and loved it. I don't do it with irons but with the driver it has helped. I did notice yesterday that keeping that right knee "tucked" (not sure if that is a good term) allowed a shorter backswing with a much better transition. I was most certainly hitting it straighter. Thank you for the tips guys!

• Like 1

For me my driver improved dramatically by learning how to shallow the club in transition.For some reason the driver loves this angle of attack and lets me hit real solid high draws.When I was steep my driver was my worst club

IMG_8721.PNG

• Like 3

My drives were going straight but not very long......180-200 yes. I read an article in GD about Angle of Attack and decided to setup with my right shoulder dipped lower than my left. My drives picked up to 200-220. That single setup thought has increased my drives. By dipping the right shoulder at address, you open the driver face to provide a positive angle which yields a higher flight. I like it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

For me I used to slice the ball something awful but then I changed a few things and I'm fitting much straighter and still keeping my distance up. I moved the ball up in my stance to just inside of my front foot and I also pushed my hands forward in front of the club head. Probably not the best thing to do and I should look at lessons to improve on a proper swing plane but it's worked for me. 

Not only my driver, but some of the best advice my instructor ever gave me may sound a bit silly.   But when getting set to hit the ball he told me to "stick my butt out".   Thankfully, he didn't say suck your gut in.  

• Like 2

swinging from in to out, up and away, and *letting* (not making) the wrists turn over. thats my swing thought with the driver in hands.

• Like 1

Love this thread, and there have been some good things posted. Let me throw in a couple things that are worth noting:

1. Physical limitations play a big role in actually getting anything out of a driver. Even some of the best tour pros average 280 off the tee with driver. So don't think it is really that important. But flexibility and the being able to generate speed to make the club work for you are really key.

2. If McIlroy is hitting up on the ball with driver, you should be too. But seriously, the lower loft on driver does need an upward path to assist the spin to creat good trajectory.

3. The head, sternum, hands, and back hip need to all be behind the ball at impact. And ball to far back or forward is a distance killer waiting to happen.

4. Think of "last second speed". Smooth flow of your swing until the last moment then pour on the speed with your bottom hand.

I've been blessed with good athletic ability but the other pieces I live by. I play a 44" driver and average 290-300 off the tee hitting a fade most of the time.

Cheers

Burk

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

• Like 4

The key to hitting my driver is putting it in a vice, so the driver can't escape. I throw some boxing gloves on and whack the head a couple of times. Some upper cuts and a few jabs. With the following swing thoughts - "that's for the terrible hook on hole 2, and that's for that push fade on hole 6 and this one's for that topped tee shot!“

I kid, I kid of course, because driver abuse is real :)

MDGolfHacker

• Like 2

I always fought a horrid slice. I saw somewhere that an LPGA player wrote "face your fears" under the bill of her golf hat. The philosophy being, push the ball toward the thing that scares you, whether that be water/sand/etc. or that dreaded slice. So I started intentionally trying to push the ball out to the right at impact which has helped me swing inside-out instead of the slicing outside-in (for a righty) motion that I had naturally. I now generally see my ball go straight or draw (sometimes too much).

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've read through quite a bit of the threads and comments. Golf life/life golf, yeah.

And as I have always seen that Driver is the thing that gets the least mention or attention. Not getting off the tee and the rest of the references to Its lack of proficiency is what we see. And its always the case on or off the course because if your hitting it well is worth talking about and the guy that can hit it well gets talked to about it. If your not, per norm, its not something that is broached for us ams and mortals. A personal thing and rightly treated as such.

So I have always wanted to ask, en masse as it were, what is your key to hitting that driver?

I gotta to tell ya there are some keys or basic concepts out there that to many, myself included, have missed and then have had to struggle with or even find in an attempt to hit that big stick like we should and could. And some sound advice for that dreaded Driver (swing), and that guy starting out could save him some of that grief to many of us have known all to well.

Thanks.

Confidence.

I've been hitting the fairway with every fairway woods consistently before I put a driver in my bag. By that time about a year and a half, when I'm on the tee I only see fairway and I just hit it. It's been like that for me since my 3rd year of golfing, 1998.

Certain clubs like driver and 5 woods I don't think about swing at all, it's just a mean to an end. Just acquire the target and fire. If it's not broken why fix it. Just recently I tee the ball higher an pick up 20-25 yards, some guy was trying to explain the technical mumbo jumbo to me about optimized launch angle, I just nod and move on:). They are the 2 clubs that I'd never change my approach of hitting.

• Like 1

I hit my driver much better when I keep the bottom of the head flat.  More center strikes and much great distance.  If the toe starts to point upwards then I know there are duck hooks just waiting to quack in the near future. Also when the toe comes up my swing becomes flat because my hands drop low and I generally creep too close to the ball.  Somehow keeping the sole square to the ground helps me take the club back on a better path.  It feels weird but I bust that melon when I remember to square that sucker up. 

• Like 1

Low and slow take away. Working on a better pivot. Then fire. Have a nice in to square path going, makes working the dang thing a lot easier.

I am working on matching my arm plane with my shoulder plane. Getting much better results.

Thomas Peiters should read this. That dude just destroyed that driver in France. His epic is now a Ep ... / ... ic

• Like 1