dadivots

What is YOUR key to hitting that Driver?

My keys to hitting balls farther out of bounds:

1: Be slow. This goes back to an old weightlifting/shooting saying, "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" I have found this is true of all golf shots but driver in particular. Smooth is faster, more consistent and has a better tempo.

2: Weight shift forward before you initiate down swing. This relates to point one but if you take the time to really get on your front foot before coming around, you will hit the ball straighter and longer.

3: Keeps your hands down. Number one thing I can see from a couple hundred yards away on hacks is hands up and away from their body at set up. If there's a straight line from your shoulder to the head of your club, you're probably holding the club too far out.

• Like 1

Swinging my A$$ off and hope to make good contact at the right moment for it to go somewhat straight.. then act like i know what i'm doing when it actually does.. 

:D I admit it i have no clue how to hit the ball straight,, I get lucky sometime.. 

I use to run to the tee box as my driver was my favorite club and as a rule, would be LD when I played with most of my friends.  I'd get lots of oohs and awes as I'm not a big person and even the guys that I'd get paired with would wonder how I got so much distance from my size and height...then, I played with some college girls who banged it well past me and then some...and in my self-reflection mode and ego busting moments, decided to replicate their swings and go for more distance.  Bad idea...I have struggled all season with the driver yips where I'm not sure just how or where the ball will be hit or where it will go...classic case of comfortable at the range but on the course, not good and uncertain.  I played in our club championship match play with our members watching, and I dribbled more than half my drives barely off the tee...it was humiliating...I've since recovered a bit, but short of quitting the club altogether, I am still searching for my old swing.  I have proceeded to develop a case of trigger finger from too much practice.  Having a net and mat in my home along with a driving range at our club entices me to get out and hit a "few" to get my swing back. I need a solid drive in order to score...last summer I was a 9 index, and trending down...today, I'm a 14 index and going up...ugh!

I use to run to the tee box as my driver was my favorite club and as a rule, would be LD when I played with most of my friends. I'd get lots of oohs and awes as I'm not a big person and even the guys that I'd get paired with would wonder how I got so much distance from my size and height...then, I played with some college girls who banged it well past me and then some...and in my self-reflection mode and ego busting moments, decided to replicate their swings and go for more distance. Bad idea...I have struggled all season with the driver yips where I'm not sure just how or where the ball will be hit or where it will go...classic case of comfortable at the range but on the course, not good and uncertain. I played in our club championship match play with our members watching, and I dribbled more than half my drives barely off the tee...it was humiliating...I've since recovered a bit, but short of quitting the club altogether, I am still searching for my old swing. I have proceeded to develop a case of trigger finger from too much practice. Having a net and mat in my home along with a driving range at our club entices me to get out and hit a "few" to get my swing back. I need a solid drive in order to score...last summer I was a 9 index, and trending down...today, I'm a 14 index and going up...ugh!

What's true for Navy SEALS sending rounds through their smoke wagons is also true for swinging the longest club in your bag...

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Specifically a smooth transition from backswing to downswing.

Sent through the nexus of the Universe

• Like 3

What's true for Navy SEALS sending rounds through their smoke wagons is also true for swinging the longest club in your bag...

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Specifically a smooth transition from backswing to downswing.

Sent through the nexus of the Universe

True... as long as the setup is correct to start with.

Spine angle (proper rotation) and tempo (slow in my case is better)

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

When I can create some lag in the downswing the ball just rockets off the club face.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

yes, I agree..I am quick to pull the club back..always have been, and my tempo could easily be part of the problem.  I know I'll get it back..just need to relax, step away for a bit, and go back to my effortless swing that use to be so easy.  I'm pressing and wanting to get it over with...instead of enjoying the "ride".

yes, I agree..I am quick to pull the club back..always have been, and my tempo could easily be part of the problem. I know I'll get it back..just need to relax, step away for a bit, and go back to my effortless swing that use to be so easy. I'm pressing and wanting to get it over with...instead of enjoying the "ride".

The more I think about what I should be doing (mechanics of the swing) the worse it gets so I just relax and swing with an easy tempo.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Let the clubhead "lead you back" then let it all "fall" back to your address position. Try hitting your driver 50yds, then 75, then 100, and on. If you're not trying for ultimate driving stats, you may be more mentally relaxed and ready to slide back into your swing...

I have several swing thoughts when I'm practicing with my driver on the range, but while playing there's only one “DON'T try to kill it.” It serves me well. Whenever I'm having trouble off the tee, nine times out of ten it's because I'm trying to kill it. Why I have to relearn that lesson over and over and over is a mystery to me...

• Like 1

After playing a couple of weeks ago, my FIL said I wasn't getting my left shoulder under my chin. As soon as I did that, boom, nice, straight and long.

So that's my key now, left shoulder under the chin.

• Like 1