TESTERS WANTED! ×

Life of a premium golf ball

tony@CIC

I've gone 500 holes with the srixon z star vx tour yellow. It lost about 10 yards after about 150-180 holes. Then it was the same until I took it out of play.

This is a thing that really happened.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

This is a thing that really happened.

I have kept a log of holes played with this ball and they are as follows. The first time this ball went into play was on June 24, 2011. I was playing a pro-am at the Grizzly Ranch in Portola, California. This tournament was a shotgun start and my team started on the 4th hole. When I reached the 16th hole I was fortunate enough to have my first career hole in one. I took that ball out of play, a Srixon Z Star XV Tour Yellow #1. I replaced that ball with the ball I am talking about, a Srixon Z Star XV Tour Yellow #2. I put that ball into play on the 17th hole and finished my round with it on #3. Those were the first 5 holes with this ball. I ended up shooting 67 in that tournament and winning the first time I put the Z Star XV into play.

Here are the other dates and number of holes I played with the same ball.

June 24 - *First 5 holes with this ball*

June 25 – 18 holes

June 28 – 9 holes

June 29 – 9 holes

June 30 – 9 holes

July 1 – 18 holes

July 2 – 18 holes

July 3 – 36 holes

July 6 – 18 holes

July 7 – 18 holes

July 10 – 18 holes

July 11 – 18 holes

July 12 – 27 holes

July 14 – 9 holes

July 18 – 18 holes

July 20 – 18 holes

July 21 – 18 holes

July 23 – 18 holes

July 26 – 27 holes

July 27 – 18 holes

July 30 – 18 holes

August 2 – 18 holes

August 3 – 18 holes

August 8 – 18 holes

August 9 – 18 holes

August 25 – 18 holes

September 9 – 18 holes

September 29 – 18 holes

October 13 – 9 holes

I have kept a log of holes played with this ball and they are as follows. The first time this ball went into play was on June 24, 2011. I was playing a pro-am at the Grizzly Ranch in Portola, California. This tournament was a shotgun start and my team started on the 4th hole. When I reached the 16th hole I was fortunate enough to have my first career hole in one. I took that ball out of play, a Srixon Z Star XV Tour Yellow #1. I replaced that ball with the ball I am talking about, a Srixon Z Star XV Tour Yellow #2. I put that ball into play on the 17th hole and finished my round with it on #3. Those were the first 5 holes with this ball. I ended up shooting 67 in that tournament and winning the first time I put the Z Star XV into play.

Here are the other dates and number of holes I played with the same ball.

June 24 - *First 5 holes with this ball*

June 25 – 18 holes

June 28 – 9 holes

June 29 – 9 holes

June 30 – 9 holes

July 1 – 18 holes

July 2 – 18 holes

July 3 – 36 holes

July 6 – 18 holes

July 7 – 18 holes

July 10 – 18 holes

July 11 – 18 holes

July 12 – 27 holes

July 14 – 9 holes

July 18 – 18 holes

July 20 – 18 holes

July 21 – 18 holes

July 23 – 18 holes

July 26 – 27 holes

July 27 – 18 holes

July 30 – 18 holes

August 2 – 18 holes

August 3 – 18 holes

August 8 – 18 holes

August 9 – 18 holes

August 25 – 18 holes

September 9 – 18 holes

September 29 – 18 holes

October 13 – 9 holes

Pretty straight shooter huh? 🏌️

I'd be through at least a couple dozen by then....

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I like to see how many rounds I can use a ball.  Back in 2007 I played a Callaway tour ball for 113 holes, at which point the ball split in 2 on a tee shot.  Last year I used a Snell ball for 77 holes before it cracked. 

I think this would be a cool test to see if these premium balls loose effectiveness the more they get played.  You see tour guys switch after every 3 holes.  This is good information that I am surprised you do not see ball companies telling you to switch every 9 holes. 

Also I do not have to start a new round with a new ball.  If I am playing well with a ball I will try and play that ball as long as I can.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I try to see how many holes I can get in with one ball when I am playing for fun. Last year I hit over 80 holes a couple times

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I try to see how many holes I can get in with one ball when I am playing for fun. Last year I hit over 80 holes a couple times

Jayjay so do you feel that golf ball is any less responsive after 70+ holes? I think there is some point when they start to react differently I just do not know where that point is.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Jayjay so do you feel that golf ball is any less responsive after 70+ holes? I think there is some point when they start to react differently I just do not know where that point is.

Oh there is a big difference I find. One the distance does reduce over time. Second it does feel firm after a while. Those two reasons are why I never do it when I'm playing the boys for cash lol

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Oh there is a big difference I find. One the distance does reduce over time. Second it does feel firm after a while. Those two reasons are why I never do it when I'm playing the boys for cash lol

All very good points, but do you see that after 36 holes, 54 holes or maybe less. That's what we need to find out.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

All very good points, but do you see that after 36 holes, 54 holes or maybe less. That's what we need to find out.

I find the change in feel and distance to hit around 50 Holes.

In my bag:

I read somewhere that the cores of premium golf balls are made to withstand about 100 strikes at 125mph club head speed before losing structural integrity i.e. cracking. The sheathing is considered less durable and unlikely to make it that long. 

Because of this information, I suspect any person who claims to have played 500 rounds of golf with one ball was probably paying a home course that included a clown's mouth, several windmills and a see-saw hole.

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

I read somewhere that the cores of premium golf balls are made to withstand about 100 strikes at 125mph club head speed before losing structural integrity i.e. cracking. The sheathing is considered less durable and unlikely to make it that long. 

Because of this information, I suspect any person who claims to have played 500 rounds of golf with one ball was probably paying a home course that included a clown's mouth, several windmills and a see-saw hole.

Do you mean 500 rounds or holes? I said I have hit over 80 holes with a ball a couple times last year. I have a handicap of slightly better than a scratch so at 80 holes averaging 4 strokes a hole as per a par 72 course that would mean 320 strokes. Of that more than half are short game shots and therefore a premium ball can withstand that volume easily

In my bag:

Generally I'll lose a ball well before it's lived a very long and fruitful life.  

On another note, we had a pond diver at our course yesterday, and pulled out over 24,000 balls from two ponds,   I wanted a chance to go reclaim a few of my Prov's but didn't get it...LOL

We have someone come in about once a year.  It's fun to watch them dive.

Knowing my opening tee shots and their historical fondness of water, it's a good thing they aren't diving when I am teeing off!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Do you mean 500 rounds or holes? I said I have hit over 80 holes with a ball a couple times last year. I have a handicap of slightly better than a scratch so at 80 holes averaging 4 strokes a hole as per a par 72 course that would mean 320 strokes. Of that more than half are short game shots and therefore a premium ball can withstand that volume easily

Sorry, I was responding to texas2cap who claimed 500 consecutive holes on one ball.

So 100 tee shots at 125mph. Very few of us on this forum have that swing speed. And at most that's 14 swings a round. Half your shots are well under the 90mph swing speed. I think we could come up with a test to see how many actual holes it takes before a ball starts to loose its mojo.

Might be a winter project for me next year.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

So 100 tee shots at 125mph. Very few of us on this forum have that swing speed. And at most that's 14 swings a round. Half your shots are well under the 90mph swing speed. I think we could come up with a test to see how many actual holes it takes before a ball starts to loose its mojo.

Might be a winter project for me next year.

100 was just for the core, not the sheath which apparently doesn't last as long. I would like to see this test!

100 was just for the core, not the sheath which apparently doesn't last as long. I would like to see this test!

Ever been to a driving range? Not many of them replace golf balls after 100 strikes. By the way, my swing speed is about 105.

Ever been to a driving range? Not many of them replace golf balls after 100 strikes. By the way, my swing speed is about 105.

True but a driving range ball and a "tour" ball are not the same thing.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

In high school, I worked at a driving range (well, a course with a driving range. I charged the carts and drove the range groomer). A) range balls are a completely different construction than the ball you described and B) they still don't last that long.

In high school, I worked at a driving range (well, a course with a driving range. I charged the carts and drove the range groomer). A) range balls are a completely different construction than the ball you described and B) they still don't last that long.

Range balls also get wear and tare from how they are picked up.

Back to the tour ball. What is a good way to test the average golfer and how long that your ball will last before you see performance drop off?

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Range balls also get wear and tare from how they are picked up.

Back to the tour ball. What is a good way to test the average golfer and how long that your ball will last before you see performance drop off?

I used to work for one of the major OEM companies. Tons of testing went on including golf balls from every manufacturer. Tests were conducted with both a robot that hit golf balls and with a machine designed to launch golf balls with predetermined spin rates and axis. The latter of those 2 gave us the most reliable tests as far as performance in different conditions. Several factors were able to be isolated that way. The robot would be the ideal way to test when trying to determine durability or longevity.

I hope that helps. If you are trying to test with human input, you would want to use 1 ball, a launch monitor, and probably a net. You would need to calculate average ball speeds over 10 shots, then divide the test into 10 shot groups. I'm guessing there will be a time when you will notice a drop off in average and high ball speeds. Continue until failure.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't pay attention

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I should add you guys must be better players than I because I've never really noticed a drop off from use. Beyond scuffing from cart paths and trees I just play them until I lose them. I always start with a new ball for a competitive round

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived