Life of a premium golf ball

tony@CIC

First hole of a new round is always a new ball. But I'm lucky if I play a full round without losing one.

I find whatever is in the bag. That's why my HIO ball is filthy. Was first hole I pulled it out of the bag.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

First hole of a new round is always a new ball. But I'm lucky if I play a full round without losing one.

First hole of a new round is always an old ball.  I can't tell you how many new balls I have lost over the years on my first swing!  I use a new ball on the second hole.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I am probably in the minority. I seldom play a new ball. I did get a sleeve of Snell balls and tried those recently but in general I play premium but used balls. Most of the balls I find on the course. Premium balls go in the bag and non premium are given to playing partners, given to a friend who donates the balls to a youth program, or returned to there prior testing place.

I generally play them until I loose them which could be anywhere from 1 hole to about 4-5 rounds

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Arizona has desert to lose them in...

Sometimes they are lost, other times you can see them but just leave them there!!

IMG_1808 (1).jpg

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Sometimes they are lost, other times you can see them but just leave them there!!

attachicon.gifIMG_1808 (1).jpg

We have a course that I seldom play anymore that had tick warning signs. I fear the rattlesnakes more but ticks can do some bad things to you.

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Generally I'll lose a ball well before it's lived a very long and fruitful life.  

On another note, we had a pond diver at our course yesterday, and pulled out over 24,000 balls from two ponds,   I wanted a chance to go reclaim a few of my Prov's but didn't get it...LOL

• Like 4

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Generally I'll lose a ball well before it's lived a very long and fruitful life.  

On another note, we had a pond diver at our course yesterday, and pulled out over 24,000 balls from two ponds,   I wanted a chance to go reclaim a few of my Prov's but didn't get it...LOL

We have someone come in about once a year.  It's fun to watch them dive.

• Like 2

First hole of a new round is always an old ball.  I can't tell you how many new balls I have lost over the years on my first swing!  I use a new ball on the second hole.

That's probably a smart play but for me its marking my ball that causes that. Soon as I mark a stupid ball I lose it. Take one out and not mark it last for the whole round.

I try to keep my old balls washed. Sometimes I'll go a day without putting a good scrubbing on em however they just don't feel right. Clean balls make ya putter work better too...

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher XL 10.5 Driver
Cleveland Launcher xl halo hy-wood 18 Degree
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 7- wood
Cleveland Launcher XL Irons 5 - PW
Cleveland CBX 2 50 & 54 Degree Wedge
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey
  White Hot OG 7S Putter

I've gone 500 holes with the srixon z star vx tour yellow. It lost about 10 yards after about 150-180 holes. Then it was the same until I took it out of play.

This is a thing that really happened.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

This is a thing that really happened.

I have kept a log of holes played with this ball and they are as follows. The first time this ball went into play was on June 24, 2011. I was playing a pro-am at the Grizzly Ranch in Portola, California. This tournament was a shotgun start and my team started on the 4th hole. When I reached the 16th hole I was fortunate enough to have my first career hole in one. I took that ball out of play, a Srixon Z Star XV Tour Yellow #1. I replaced that ball with the ball I am talking about, a Srixon Z Star XV Tour Yellow #2. I put that ball into play on the 17th hole and finished my round with it on #3. Those were the first 5 holes with this ball. I ended up shooting 67 in that tournament and winning the first time I put the Z Star XV into play.

Here are the other dates and number of holes I played with the same ball.

June 24 - *First 5 holes with this ball*

June 25 – 18 holes

June 28 – 9 holes

June 29 – 9 holes

June 30 – 9 holes

July 1 – 18 holes

July 2 – 18 holes

July 3 – 36 holes

July 6 – 18 holes

July 7 – 18 holes

July 10 – 18 holes

July 11 – 18 holes

July 12 – 27 holes

July 14 – 9 holes

July 18 – 18 holes

July 20 – 18 holes

July 21 – 18 holes

July 23 – 18 holes

July 26 – 27 holes

July 27 – 18 holes

July 30 – 18 holes

August 2 – 18 holes

August 3 – 18 holes

August 8 – 18 holes

August 9 – 18 holes

August 25 – 18 holes

September 9 – 18 holes

September 29 – 18 holes

October 13 – 9 holes

• Like 1

I have kept a log of holes played with this ball and they are as follows. The first time this ball went into play was on June 24, 2011. I was playing a pro-am at the Grizzly Ranch in Portola, California. This tournament was a shotgun start and my team started on the 4th hole. When I reached the 16th hole I was fortunate enough to have my first career hole in one. I took that ball out of play, a Srixon Z Star XV Tour Yellow #1. I replaced that ball with the ball I am talking about, a Srixon Z Star XV Tour Yellow #2. I put that ball into play on the 17th hole and finished my round with it on #3. Those were the first 5 holes with this ball. I ended up shooting 67 in that tournament and winning the first time I put the Z Star XV into play.

Here are the other dates and number of holes I played with the same ball.

June 24 - *First 5 holes with this ball*

June 25 – 18 holes

June 28 – 9 holes

June 29 – 9 holes

June 30 – 9 holes

July 1 – 18 holes

July 2 – 18 holes

July 3 – 36 holes

July 6 – 18 holes

July 7 – 18 holes

July 10 – 18 holes

July 11 – 18 holes

July 12 – 27 holes

July 14 – 9 holes

July 18 – 18 holes

July 20 – 18 holes

July 21 – 18 holes

July 23 – 18 holes

July 26 – 27 holes

July 27 – 18 holes

July 30 – 18 holes

August 2 – 18 holes

August 3 – 18 holes

August 8 – 18 holes

August 9 – 18 holes

August 25 – 18 holes

September 9 – 18 holes

September 29 – 18 holes

October 13 – 9 holes

Pretty straight shooter huh? 🏌️

I'd be through at least a couple dozen by then.... [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Cleveland Launcher XL 10.5 Driver
Cleveland Launcher xl halo hy-wood 18 Degree
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 7- wood
Cleveland Launcher XL Irons 5 - PW
Cleveland CBX 2 50 & 54 Degree Wedge
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey
  White Hot OG 7S Putter

I like to see how many rounds I can use a ball.  Back in 2007 I played a Callaway tour ball for 113 holes, at which point the ball split in 2 on a tee shot.  Last year I used a Snell ball for 77 holes before it cracked. 

I think this would be a cool test to see if these premium balls loose effectiveness the more they get played.  You see tour guys switch after every 3 holes.  This is good information that I am surprised you do not see ball companies telling you to switch every 9 holes. 

Also I do not have to start a new round with a new ball.  If I am playing well with a ball I will try and play that ball as long as I can.

Driver: Taylormade M6 10.5*

FW: Callaway Steelhead Plus 4 wood

Hybrid: 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Arm Lock
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X 
Handicap index:  +2.1

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I try to see how many holes I can get in with one ball when I am playing for fun. Last year I hit over 80 holes a couple times

• Like 1

In my bag:

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone Xtreme 9.0* Fujikura Motore X F1 6X

Wood: :cobra-small: Speedzone Tour Fujikura Motore X F1 7X

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :srixon-small: Srixon ZX5 4-6 (1 degree weak), ZX7 7-PW Project X 6.5

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X 

I try to see how many holes I can get in with one ball when I am playing for fun. Last year I hit over 80 holes a couple times

Jayjay so do you feel that golf ball is any less responsive after 70+ holes? I think there is some point when they start to react differently I just do not know where that point is.

659 CB 4 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Jayjay so do you feel that golf ball is any less responsive after 70+ holes? I think there is some point when they start to react differently I just do not know where that point is.

Oh there is a big difference I find. One the distance does reduce over time. Second it does feel firm after a while. Those two reasons are why I never do it when I'm playing the boys for cash lol

• Like 1

In my bag:

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone Xtreme 9.0* Fujikura Motore X F1 6X

Wood: :cobra-small: Speedzone Tour Fujikura Motore X F1 7X

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :srixon-small: Srixon ZX5 4-6 (1 degree weak), ZX7 7-PW Project X 6.5

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X 

Oh there is a big difference I find. One the distance does reduce over time. Second it does feel firm after a while. Those two reasons are why I never do it when I'm playing the boys for cash lol

All very good points, but do you see that after 36 holes, 54 holes or maybe less. That's what we need to find out.

659 CB 4 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*