TESTERS WANTED! ×

LPGA Tour Lexi Thompson Ruling!

ole gray

It was disgusting. Next someone will watch video of 86 Masters. Be a call for DQ, some silly rule violation.

And why wait til next day? Once round is in books it should be done. UNLESS, it can be shown someone intentionally cheating.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I agree totally....I HATE that they listen to these people when the call/email in in the first place, BUT, if you are going to do it, I think once the first tee shot is hit in the next round, it's chiseled in stone and no changes can be made, no matter what someone sees.   Where DO you draw the line on time if not.

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 separate issues here.

Lexi's mark and replacement of her ball. She did it, it was obvious and in the current rules should be a penalty.

Some asshat emailing in the rules infraction after the round and not being assessed until mid next round. That's just brutal.

I'm with the other guys. Once a rules official signs the card it's done. You catch something later than that and congrats you got away with one.

And please don't allow any call in or emails. The players and rules officials on the course are good enough we don't need outside assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

So if they don't call her out late or not, then it's perfectly acceptable her obviously moving the ball?

It's cheating, intentional or not. But for me it needs to be seen by someone on the course that day. Getting an email from Joe public is just stupid.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

So if they don't call her out late or not, then it's perfectly acceptable her obviously moving the ball?

Yep.

How many pass interference or holding penalties do we see in NFL games that don't get called?

Officials are all over the place during a round. If they miss something and your playing partner missed it, you get away with it. Part of the game. That's why integrity is so important- we usually have to call the penalty in ourselves.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Definitely cheating, whether it was a mental lapse or not.....I'd have called out an opponent for that. Actually had it happen in a tournament, I didn't see it, but another in the group called the guy out and the offender threw a fit and walked off the course.

The fact that call ins are allowed is the most ridiculous thing ever.

I'm not willing to assume that she blatantly cheated on purpose and feel that's a slippery slope.  Her placement of the ball was questionable, but the accusation of cheating purposefully goes a little too far in my opinion.

We have placed our game on a pedestal.  We are a game of integrity where we call penalties on ourselves.  Integrity, honor and sportsmanship are defining characteristics of playing our game at any level.  Yet, we allow someone to phone in or email something they witness on television.  It simply doesn't make any sense to me.  

I think we could all learn a lot from watching this young lady handle this situation.  With grace and humility!

​​

I remember a few years back one of my close friends (Bubba Grimes), use to mark his ball with a small piece of red man chew tobacco. We didn't play for a million bucks however our dollar per hole bets were significant enough.  Now thinking back, I can remember Bubba moving his ball a couple inches to the left of his chewing tobacco mark more than a few times.  Now was Bubba cheating when he didn't spit in the perfect place his ball came to rest. Maybe. Did we give a rats arse? No. Hell if it was in a 12 inch circle it was all good with us.  I don't believe Bubba spit in the wrong place on purpose however the wind could have blown it off a  bit.   I believe I'll call him today and tell him he owes me a couple hundred bucks for not spitting in the right place.   Guess what Bubba Grimes would tell me to do with that couple hundred bucks. ;)​ 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• SPY VIP

I remember a few years back one of my close friends (Bubba Grimes), use to mark his ball with a small piece of red man chew tobacco. We didn't play for a million bucks however our dollar per hole bets were significant enough. Now thinking back, I can remember Bubba moving his ball a couple inches to the left of his chewing tobacco mark more than a few times. Now was Bubba cheating when he didn't spit in the perfect place his ball came to rest. Maybe. Did we give a rats arse? No. Hell if it was in a 12 inch circle it was all good with us. I don't believe Bubba spit in the wrong place on purpose however the wind could have blown it off a bit. I believe I'll call him today and tell him he owes me a couple hundred bucks for not spitting in the right place. Guess what Bubba Grimes would tell me to do with that couple hundred bucks. ;)​

But this is fine because his gambling buddies were ok with it. I'd consider this your "local rule".

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

But this is fine because his gambling buddies were ok with it. I'd consider this your "local rule".

When it all shakes out it's not about whether she intentionally moved the ball an inch either way. It's the fact some sob called in and made the call. I don't think this dip wad should have been allowed to call in ......  Frankly I could care less if Lexi intentionally moved the ball.  I don't think she placed the ball where she did with the intent of gaining a stroke over her opponents.  I hope the person who called in get's a year long case of jock itch with no relief.  :angry: 

Cleveland

When it all shakes out it's not about whether she intentionally moved the ball an inch either way. It's the fact some sob called in and made the call. I don't think this dip wad should have been allowed to call in ...... Frankly I could care less if Lexi intentionally moved the ball. I don't think she placed the ball where she did with the intent of gaining a stroke over her opponents. I hope the person who called in get's a year long case of jock itch with no relief. :angry:

To me, it's on the officials. Any idiot can call or email in - have a ball. But for the officials to change a ruling made the previous day (via certifying the card), is where the real problem lies. They should have ignored it. Call it the rub of the green, missed calll, whatever.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

ShotLink or it didn't happen...

A - The rules of golf are clear and in the overwhelming majority of scenarios, rules infractions have nothing to do with intent. The governing bodies have refused any subsequent discussion of intent in their proceedings because that would be a de facto admission professional golfers are flawed human beings just like the rest of us.

B - The mere idea of intentionally marking/replacing my ball to avoid an imperfection on the putting surface makes me nauseous.

C - CDW sponsors Paula Creamer but won't license their "big data savior" to the LPGA, even for their majors?

Since it already runs on the backs of volunteers, ShotLink should be available to any pro tour event that can supply the requisite tournament staff. Set a reasonable tolerance for valid mark and replacement. If you violate, an automated data exception will initiate an immediate player communication via tour official. The data doesn't lie and would most certainly identify any questionable mark/replace trends.

I seem to recall a nearly identical scenario temporarily marring one of Mark O'meara's Major victories. Does anybody else remember that? I cannot find mention of it anywhere but feel like it was the '98 British Open and somebody's manager (Jesper? Constantino Rocca?) made a huge stink about a mark/replacement infraction coming down the stretch on Sunday. Mark's Monday reply was something to the effect "Even if I did incorrectly replace my ball, it was a short putt and I like to think I'm a pretty solid putter inside 3 feet". Major victory stands and he's now in the Hall of Fame.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

ShotLink or it didn't happen...

A) The rules of golf are clear and in the overwhelming majority of scenarios, rules infractions have nothing to do with intent. The governing bodies have refused any subsequent discussion of intent in their proceedings because that would be a de facto admission professional golfers are flawed human beings just like the rest of us.

B) The mere idea of intentionally marking/replacing my ball to avoid an imperfection on the putting surface makes me nauseous.

C) CDW sponsors Paula Creamer but won't license their "big data savior" to the LPGA, even for their majors?

Since it already runs on the backs of volunteers, ShotLink should be available to any pro tour event that can supply the requisite tournament staff. Set a reasonable tolerance for valid mark and replacement. If you violate, an automated data exception will initiate an immediate player communication via tour official. The data doesn't lie and would most certainly identify any questionable mark/replace trends.

I seem to recall a nearly identical scenario temporarily marring one of Mark O'meara's Major victories. Does anybody else remember that? I cannot find mention of it anywhere but feel like it was the '98 British Open and somebody's manager (Jesper? Constantino Rocca?) made a huge stink about a mark/replacement infraction coming down the stretch on Sunday. Mark's Monday reply was something to the effect "Even if I did incorrectly replace my ball, it was a short putt and I like to think I'm a pretty solid putter inside 3 feet". Major victory stands and he's now in the Hall of Fame.

It was Jarmo Sandelin who accused O'Meara of an improper ball marking.

https://www.si.com/vault/1999/09/20/266683/in-your-face-confrontational-and-controversial-jarmo-sandelin-has-few-friends-on-either-side-of-the-atlantic-which-is-how-he-likes-it

O'Meara and many others feel like this accusation is why he was never selected to captain a Ryder Cup team.  O'Meara was never fully able to remove the stigma that followed.

Not much publicity of the Lexi loss on the Golf Channel, and even less on the LPGA website.  So Yeon Ryu won.  I'm sure they just want to let it fade away as quickly as possible.  

I agree that a penalty occurred, but the penalty for signing an incorrect scorecard the next day, halfway through the final round, is the real issue, unless the infraction was deemed to be intentional.  If intentional, then the old ruling of DQ should be enforced.  I don't believe that Lexi did it intentionally, and if it is not obvious to playing partners and officials at the time and the scorecard signed by all, then it's in the books IMO.

I put blame for these situations on the television broadcasters.  Big events get a lot of cameras and producers want all kinds of camera shots because it gives the commentators something more to talk about.  Personally, I don't think super closeup shots should be televised.  Sure, they can zoom in on a ball that has an interesting lie for effect, but when a player gets ready to play the shot, the camera should view the shot like everyone around can see, no closer.  I saw no reason for that camera to be zoomed in when Lexi marked her ball.  It is not fair to the best players who are on camera all the time.  Players at the bottom of the leaderboard do not get closeup photos.  I think it's time that the professional organizations dictate the kind of coverage of their players that TV broadcasters can use.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Is it me or are the other players going to let Lexi win? All were climbing the leader board but now dropping shots

They're probably worried they get a penalty... it's like a speed trap. Everyone slows down when they see the first person pulled over.

- Da Yooper

Going from chase mode to fighting the pack off mode isn't easy to do in a split second unless you took the spot instead of it being handed to you.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

It was Jarmo Sandelin who accused O'Meara of an improper ball marking.

https://www.si.com/vault/1999/09/20/266683/in-your-face-confrontational-and-controversial-jarmo-sandelin-has-few-friends-on-either-side-of-the-atlantic-which-is-how-he-likes-it

O'Meara and many others feel like this accusation is why he was never selected to captain a Ryder Cup team. O'Meara was never fully able to remove the stigma that followed.

Nice find. I did more research and it appears a television viewer in Sweden brought it to the attention of Sandelin. Jomar subsequently wrote O'meara a letter and supplied video evidence of the infraction on the 15th hole, quoted as "roughly half an inch closer", calling for Mark to disavow the victory and return the trophy. Mark's only refutation, "I didn't intend to gain advantage" and that seemed to be enough for the governing bodies or at least their malleable unpublished statute of limitations had already passed.

please excuse fat (iPhone) thumbs

BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS

In my opinion, the job of rules enforcement is exclusively the role of other players and the on site officials, not some loser watching on TV, whose joy in life is to create problems for others in order to promote their self esteem.  Moreover, I think that not only should the LPGA, but all professional tours should state that they will no longer utilize reports from viewers regarding rule enforcement.  

Other than the Masters, my wife shows no interest in televised golf.   However, yesterday, when she came out of her hobby room to get a drink, I told her what happened to Lexi.   She immediately sit down and started routing for Lexi.   When coming LPGA events are televised, I'm sure the wife is going to ask--how is Lexi doing.  While the LPGA may have harmed its general popularity, they did gave Lexi's popularity a major boost, so to speak.  

not saying she didn't mark/replace incorrectly......it's the ruling on it a round later, because a fan called in........At some point, the score needs to become 'official'.......what if someone today went through some old '86 Masters home video a fan took, and found out Jack should have a had a penalty somewhere?    What would be the difference?   It should be up to the rules officials on the course and your opponents in your group, in my humble opinion

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Nice find. I did more research and it appears a television viewer in Sweden brought it to the attention of Sandelin. Jomar subsequently wrote O'meara a letter and supplied video evidence of the infraction on the 15th hole, quoted as "roughly half an inch closer", calling for Mark to disavow the victory and return the trophy. Mark's only refutation, "I didn't intend to gain advantage" and that seemed to be enough for the governing bodies or at least their malleable unpublished statute of limitations had already passed.

please excuse fat (iPhone) thumbs

I remember when it happened but like seemingly everyone else, especially in this country, I wrote it off as Sandelin being Sandelin.  For those who don't know who he is, the guy is certifiably crazy and that's being kind!  Sandelin also had a well publicized dust-up with Lee Westwood the following year that was ironically at the same event as the dust-up with O"Meara. 

He once played a 60 inch driver at St. Andrews and used a 52 inch driver for the majority of his career.  

• SPY VIP

Everyone is correct on a lot of things:

The late penalty was BS

Calls in shouldn't be allowed

The handling by the USGA/LPGA was horrendous 

But the one thing that is beyond true and needs to be addressed:

You damn well know when you put a marker almost to the side of the ball and then move your ball an inch over to replace it on that spot. She knew 100% what she was doing, I have no doubt about that.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

This absolutely s..ks! If spite of something that would have dragged most players down she had a recovery. Personally if I was Ryu I wouldn't feel good about this finish. She won it on a technicality.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I remember when it happened but like seemingly everyone else, especially in this country, I wrote it off as Sandelin being Sandelin. For those who don't know who he is, the guy is certifiably crazy and that's being kind! Sandelin also had a well publicized dust-up with Lee Westwood the following year that was ironically at the same event as the dust-up with O"Meara.

He once played a 60 inch driver at St. Andrews and used a 52 inch driver for the majority of his career.

Claiming kindness while publicly maligning anyone (certifiably crazy?) doesn't jive with me, sixcat.

My point, Mark O'meara was embroiled in a nearly identical scenario. Irrefutable video documentation was provided and Mark decided to stand behind an explanation of intent knowing full well it flew in the face of the rules of golf. He made his choice and has subsequently been left off the Ryder Cup coaching roster; form what opinions you may.

Personally I think there should be absolutely no allowance for TV viewers to call in what they consider as an infraction.... 

This is where I disagree. 

Regardless of whether or not the player saw or recognised the infringement at the time, an infringement still occurred. It doesn't suddenly cease to be an infringement if nobody but one person saw it either. If that one person just so happens to be a viewer at home and after review the penalty is confirmed, then according to the rules of golf, the penalty should be applied. 

Nobody is above the rules of golf and the argument that no advantage was gained, it was a harmless oversight etc simply are not an excuse. Ignorance of the rules isn't an excuse either.

Clearly, professional golfers make mistakes regularly just the same as the rest of us, but the rest of us seldom have such larger sums of money riding on where we come in a tournament. It is therefore in the professionals own interests to make sure they know the rules or at least seek a ruling from the referee on hand with every group to assist in decisions. Frankly, there should be no excuse for any professional golfer to make such a basic error in an act that they perform over 100,000 times a year, such as correctly marking the ball. 

... at the end of the day one thing is for sure.

She won't ever do that again!

:lol: 

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

This is getting out of hand.... :-)

While I agree with you that an infraction is an infraction regardless of who saw it, we have to draw the line somewhere. Where exactly that like is, I don't know. But I do know that the next day is NOT the time to point it out or incur a penalty.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

Claiming kindness while publicly maligning anyone (certifiably crazy?) doesn't jive with me, sixcat.

My point, Mark O'meara was embroiled in a nearly identical scenario. Irrefutable video documentation was provided and Mark decided to stand behind an explanation of intent knowing full well it flew in the face of the rules of golf. He made his choice and has subsequently been left off the Ryder Cup coaching roster; form what opinions you may.

Put your faith in another human being and you will, in time, be disappointed.  

Be that as it may, opinions vary.  I call 'em like I see 'em!

This is getting out of hand.... :-)

While I agree with you that an infraction is an infraction regardless of who saw it, we have to draw the line somewhere. Where exactly that like is, I don't know. But I do know that the next day is NOT the time to point it out or incur a penalty.

There is of course one sure-fire way of stopping people calling in rules infractions - and that is to stop making rules infractions.

I'm pretty sure if surgeons operations were televised too, then a lot fewer needles and watches would be found inside patients post op.

I played horseshoes competitively and if you stepped over the foul line the scorer and/or your opponent would let you know. You take your licks and throw another one. Video "evidence" is hard to argue with. Just needs to be reviewed by the appropriate people.

If I'm playing for a major purse, and I'm in 2nd you betcha I'll be watching the 1st place like a hawk.

I'm ready for the Masters, who's with me?

This is where I disagree.

Regardless of whether or not the player saw or recognised the infringement at the time, an infringement still occurred. It doesn't suddenly cease to be an infringement if nobody but one person saw it either. If that one person just so happens to be a viewer at home and after review the penalty is confirmed, then according to the rules of golf, the penalty should be applied.

Nobody is above the rules of golf and the argument that no advantage was gained, it was a harmless oversight etc simply are not an excuse. Ignorance of the rules isn't an excuse either.

Clearly, professional golfers make mistakes regularly just the same as the rest of us, but the rest of us seldom have such larger sums of money riding on where we come in a tournament. It is therefore in the professionals own interests to make sure they know the rules or at least seek a ruling from the referee on hand with every group to assist in decisions. Frankly, there should be no excuse for any professional golfer to make such a basic error in an act that they perform over 100,000 times a year, such as correctly marking the ball.

So if I see an obvious holding penalty or pass interference in the super bowl I should be allowed to call in the next day to alter the outcome of the game? I don't think so. Keep the public out of professional sports. If a penalty is not incurred during current round of play, the round should be deemed complete.

We can agree to disagree as I am very firm and actually pissed that viewers are allowed to affect outcomes of championship matches. Heck maybe Barney Fife should be peeping around the bushes on the Euros during The Ryder Cups and reporting back to Andy!

Cleveland

So if I see an obvious holding penalty or pass interference in the super bowl I should be allowed to call in the next day to alter the outcome of the game? I don't think so. Keep the public out of professional sports. If a penalty is not incurred during current round of play, the round should be deemed complete.

We can agree to disagree as I am very firm and actually pissed that viewers are allowed to affect outcomes of championship matches. Heck maybe Barney Fife should be peeping around the bushes on the Euros during The Ryder Cups and reporting back to Andy!

Didn't say anything about football! The point is, at every point the ball is stationary (which is the majority of the time) a ruling or decision can be made. In football, it can't.  I should add that in golf, a player has the opportunity to go back and correct their error if they make one. In football you can't. And golf tournaments are against multiple competitors rather than one opponent, so the outcome for all those competing is a little more complex.

The rules are golf are very clear and are not open to ambiguity, self-interpretation or flexible application.

If you made a rules infringement, whether or not you were immediately aware of it or not, you should be liable to the appropriate penalty. And that also applies after the round. Don't even get started about pros who sign for wrong cards....

Archived