Visit Pings website HERE
Visit Pings Facebook HERE
Visit Pings Twitter HERE
Visit Pings Instagram HERE

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

phil.jpg

This is how I felt when I found out I was selected to test the Ping Glide 2.0 wedges.  It really doesn’t get much better than this.  Now I know how Phil must have felt on that Sunday back in 2004.  Thank you MyGolfSpy for entrusting me to provide a thorough, critical and honest review and thank you to the community for your respect, camaraderie, and presence in my life...it wouldn’t be the same without you!

Now...let’s get started with some questions, shall we:

●     Handicap/average score?

I’m a hack…(there, I said it)... Don’t believe me? Just watch or better yet, don't!…. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru6PTiOHRuY 

However, in the last year or so, I’ve gotten pretty good at hacking it around and have managed to stay in the 80’s most of the time.  My average score is right around 85 which (on a Par 72) would put my handicap at a 13.  On good days I can shoot 81 and on bad days 91, but for the most part I’m usually between 83 and 88.  I really should take some lessons, but first things first; let me get the proper tools in the toolbox...

●     Strengths of your game?

I’m pretty good at getting the ball down the fairway towards the hole in the ‘expected’ number of strokes.  By that I mean more often than not I can get either on the green or close in 1 on a par 3, on or close in 3 on a par 5… (I suck at par 4’s; let’s not go there)

I’m not a super-long hitter but I’m probably average.  I can hit my driver anywhere from a long of about 290 to a short of about 220 and I’m usually right in the middle around 250.  My 7 iron goes about 160.  I don’t really know what the term "good ball striker" means but I don’t duff it too often.  I may have 1 or 2 skulls or fat shots per round but for the most part I can usually strike the ball pretty consistently...it’s the face-at-impact thing I struggle with.  I suppose I should say that I don’t 3 putt too often, but it seems that my 2nd putt is for bogey more times than I’d like.

●     Weakness of your game?

This is where I’m **really** hoping these wedges help… my weakness is 100 yards and in… the typical, ‘feel’ shots

For example - I’m 40 yards away... is that a ½ swing with my 54 degree wedge or is that a ¾ swing with the 58???  I’m just off the green and it’s an uphill approach… do I try a lofted 58 or a bump and run with my 50 degree?  I’m in the thick grass off the fringe… steep swing with the 58 or chip with the 54?  I go to the range quite a bit but I’m usually practicing full shots.  I should really practice these half and three-quarter shots more… 

I’m also not very good from the bunkers, which, again, I think is a range thing.  Most of the public ranges I go to don’t have bunkers to practice from so, if I get into one, I’m pretty much needing a new pair of boxers….

I used to have a sandbox in my backyard that I built for the kids when they were really little and I would hit out of there sometimes. 

sandbox.jpg

But that sandbox has been gone for a long time... along with my bunker gameAny suggestions on bunker practice are welcome.  I live about an hour away from the ocean but I don’t think they’d like me hitting balls all over the place down there while people are sunbathing... 

Another thing that I’ve never been able to do intentionally (and it surprises me the few times it happens) is put spin on the ball.  I’m really impressed when people can land the ball on the green and make it spin backwards.  I hope these wedges help me figure that out.  Maybe not a ton of spin but enough that it hits, checks and doesn’t keep rolling off the green.  I realize that is partially a function of my swing but the “new, sharper-edged grooves are spaced closer together for increased friction, imparting more spin” on the ball hopefully will help a bit.

●     Typical ball flight?

I try to hit the ball straight, but usually it fades off to the right about 5-10 yards….and sometimes off to the left quite a bit farther when I try to NOT HIT IT TO THE RIGHT

I hit the ball pretty high.  Not sure why...maybe it’s because I’ve never had a lesson, maybe I don’t have enough forward press?  Sometimes it helps to hit it high, but when I hit a nice straight drive and the ball lands with a --thud-- and doesn’t roll very far I’m pretty bummed out about that “high ball flight” thing.

●     Typical miss?

My “miss” is usually right… not a slice!!!  I have a tendency to block it.  My hands and arms get stuck behind me because I don’t get on plane and I have to ‘save it’ …..somehow.  My body tends to get out of sync and my hips move too quick but I’ve gotten pretty good at getting the clubface relatively square at impact….told you I was a hacker, remember?  

OH, you forgot? Here’s another reminder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCOxEGVMuSk

●     Current comparable equipment?

Last year I bought a set of Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour wedges - 52 and 58 degree.
Before that I had 3 different wedges - an old Taylormade 50*, a Cleveland gunmetal 54 and an old rusty Titleist 58; I had someone do a “bag evaluation” and they suggested I get newer wedges that are from the same manufacturer with the same grips.  Good advice. 

I do like the Callaway wedges.  I wanted the MD3 milled version but they were very expensive because they were just released so I went with the next best thing.  After using them I realize that I went with the wrong lofts.  At around 100 yards my 52 is too lofted and I can’t quite get the ball there with enough height and get it stop.  I should have gone with the 3 wedge configuration - 50/54/58.

●     Swing tempo?

I’m a fairly smooth swinger.  I don’t have a super fast takeaway or follow-through.  I try to think of a metronome and that rhythmic melody.  Although, I’m not a musician and can’t play an instrument to save my life.  Maybe I should try something else or learn to play the guitar.  Guys who play guitar get all the chicks.  Imagine if I could play guitar and hit a long ball!  Chicks dig the long ball….just ask Rory.

Rory Blonde.JPG Rory Blonde2.jpg

●     Driver swing speed?

The last time it was measured it was right around 100-102 mph.  I just got a new driver with a lighter shaft so I’m hoping I can consistently stay above 100.  I need to get on a LM and check it out.

●     What makes you love the game?

I’ve always been fairly athletic and managed to be pretty successful at most sports I’ve tried - basketball, baseball, volleyball, ultimate frisbee, slow pitch softball, bowling, darts, badminton, tennis, ping pong, nerfhoop…(you get it).  But golf is a sport that is really, really peculiar and enticing to me.  It is seductive and beguiling; there are so many different layers to it and it can be so hard to repeat yet so simple at the same time.  Every shot is a new test.  EverySingleOne.  Just because you hit one good drive doesn’t mean that the next one will also be good - as opposed to: if you make one free throw, the odds are pretty good you’ll also make the next one. I love a challenge and, to me, the game of golf is a unique test of ALL of your skills; mental, physical, emotional, psychological; it truly is a thinking man’s (person’s?) game. 

Another reason I love the game so much is the serenity it brings to me.  I was born and raised in the great Pacific Northwest where I enjoyed fishing, camping, hiking, boating, riding dirt bikes and generally enjoying the outdoors.  I am at peace when I’m out on the course; it is the ultimate getaway, stress reliever, break-from-everything-serious-in-the-world.

This quote from the great Arnold Palmer (rest in peace) really says it well and I couldn’t agree more:

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented.

●     How long have you been golfing?

I came to the game pretty late in life; I toyed around with a junky old 9 iron that I got at a yard sale when I was a kid but didn’t start playing until I was in my mid twenties and then only occasionally (with the set of Knight™ clubs I got at Costco!).  I started playing semi-regularly about 8 years ago and within the last couple of years I play as much as my work and my wife will allow.  If I could, I’d play every day.  I get a fair amount of vacation at work and will take days off during the week to play.

●     What kind of golfer are you?

I’m not too serious.  I mean, I like to be successful at everything I do and I’m competitive, but my livelihood doesn’t depend on it; I always try to keep that in mind and not let things get to me.  I’m happy to play alone, with people I just met, or with some pals… doesn’t matter to me.  I play for fun - not for trophies or money - and no matter what happens I always have a great time.

●     What’s your story?

creswell.jpg 

I didn’t play golf.  I didn’t play mini golf, I didn’t play par 3 golf, I didn’t play golf.  Nobody I knew did; not friends, not family, no one. Our school didn’t have a golf team.  I was a poor kid who grew up in a town that was a gas station fill-up exit off the highway.

Golf was a rich man’s game and there was no way I was going near it.  We had our side of the tracks and I stayed on it.  I played basketball and tennis at the town park all year long; it was free.

usmc.jpg

It didn’t take me long to figure out I needed to get out of there if I wanted a future and the fastest way for me was the Marine Corps.  I played a couple times on base with some borrowed clubs and a fellow Marine, who had played as a kid, said I had “some real potential”... I’ve never forgotten that and I never did forget how much fun I had out there.  But...I was pre-programmed; golf was still a rich man’s game, only now the officers played it and us enlisted pukes weren’t welcome.  Thank goodness it was the early 90’s and I was in the computer field.  I couldn’t wait to get out and make the big buck$!  Haha…

From San Diego to North Carolina I went working for the man.  Big corporate job and now I was ready to play golf.  Only I had no idea where to start and what I was doing… so, I just did it.  Bought the cheapest clubs I could find (Costco!) and me and a buddy played all the time.  For the most part we were terrible but having the time of our lives.  And when one of us hit a “good” shot… oh wow!  I don’t even remember if we kept score. 

Well, he got married and the kid came along and I went down south to Hot-lanta so my golfing days were put on hold.  I played about 3-4 times a year down there but not enough to get very good and I had a new girlfriend at the time anyway.  However, I still had that itch.  I just had a good time every time I went out there on the course….especially when I went out with the rich kid daddy’s boys and showed them up with my 2nd hand clubs.  Really taught me that I could do this if I wanted to. 

Next thing you know I’m moving north to Boston, getting married, having kids and going to night school.  Add those 3 up and it leaves zero time for golf.  But.. once things settled down a bit, I finished my degree, the kids got a bit older… IT WAS TIME.  I watched a lot of television...really studied how the players played.  How they held the club, swung it, hit the ball, etc.  That’s pretty much how I learned.  No lessons, a few books (Ben Hogan, Harvey Penick, Tiger) and here I am. 

Working at Boston University as an information technology professional and playing as much golf as I can. It really wasn’t until the last couple of years that I became somewhat serious though.  Committing myself to getting better and really understanding what that takes.  I’d love to join a club but with 2 growing boys (13, 10) going to college soon I’ve put that dream on hold for a bit.  So, I play in my 9 hole work league scramble and get out for 18 on the weekends or during the week.  This is the year… this is the year I break 80.  First step was getting fit for clubs and the next step is lessons.  I’m so excited to get started I can hardly keep still.  Rich man’s game no more… this poor kid from the s*** town is ready.

●     What is in your bag?

I’ve had soooo many different clubs; this year, I put my foot down...line in the sand time!  I’m done going through sets of clubs!  I was changing my entire bag out almost every year...even down to the putter.  So this year, (with help and encouragement from MyGolfSpy!!) I decided to get fit.  I figured if I’m going to get a set of “forever” clubs (haha!) then I’m going to get a set that I know are specific to me and my swing.  This year I also decided to jump into the ‘single length’ pool.  I know, I know… it’s a fad, but to me, it just screams simple.  As I’ve said, I’m not great , have never had any lessons, am able to hack it around decently, but I’m also analytical (I’ve been a computer programmer all my working life and think logically), and if there is something that can make the game easier, I’m all for it.  To me, if I can groove a swing for a majority of my clubs (5-P) and repeat it no matter what the number is on the bottom that takes a lot of the “thinking” out of it.  I hope I’m right.  =)  (BTW- I think Tom Wishon is brilliant)

My ‘forever’ bag this year:

❏    Titleist 915D2 driver - red diamana 50g stiff shaft

❏    Titleist 906F4 15.5* fairway wood

❏    Titleist 816H1 hybrid - red diamana 60g stiff shaft

❏    Wishon Golf Sterling single length 5-PW irons - TT XP90 stiff shaft

❏    **New Ping Glide 2 wedges!!!  - 50/54/58**

❏    Yes! Donna 33” putter

DSC04760.JPG

●     How did you choose them?

At the end of the season I did some analysis on where my game was at and what I wanted to do going forward.  I was able to pretty consistently shoot in the 80’s with what I had, but doggone it, I just know I can get into the 70’s!  And, as the great Martin Hall always says - “If you keep on doing what you’ve been doing, you’ll keep getting what you’ve been getting”....and I didn’t want to keep doing what I was doing….so I made the decision to pay an expert watch me swing the club, try a few different things and tell me what the proper equipment should be. 

I read a lot of reviews.  I mean A LOT.  I work at a computer 40 hours a week so I have plenty of time to go online and do research.  In doing so I was trying to find a way to make things easier.  I don’t get to play every day - once a week, sometimes twice but not every day - and after reviewing/analyzing my game at the end of the season I realized that with 8/9/P I was pretty good; I could hit the ball relatively straight and my dispersion wasn’t too far off.  I thought to myself - man, I wish I could hit my long irons like that.  About this time MyGolfSpy had some info on the new Cobra One Length irons (https://www.mygolfspy.com/tested-cobra-one-length-irons/). 

That really got my wheels spinning.  Can this be the holy grail?  An 8 iron swing for everything?  LET THE RESEARCH BEGIN!  I’d never heard of Tom Wishon but after watching and reading, the guy just seems like he knows what he’s doing.  I tried the Cobras at a golf expo and convinced myself that, yep… this is for me.  The fitter I went to is an official “Wishon™” fitter and I told them I was interested in the single length but if they thought I’d be better off in progressive irons I’m fine with that.  After a few well struck 7 and 8 irons and some not-so-good 5 irons he said I’d be a good candidate for the single length.  He also fit me into a Titleist hybrid with a specific shaft and, we had some time left so I asked if I could hit a few drivers.  He agreed and recommended one for me.  It wasn’t a true driver fitting but he said I’d do pretty well with the one he suggested.  Sidenote - there seem to be 3 prominent one length/single length club makers - Cobra, Wishon and Edel. If I had an unlimited budget I would’ve gone with the Edel but I think (hope) I’ll be happy with the Sterlings.

●     What region do you play out of?

I currently live in Franklin Massachusetts (home of the nation’s first public library and 4th safest city!).  I’ve lived in all 4 “corners” of the US but I think I’m here to stay.  I work in Boston and play a lot of courses in the western section of Mass; I should really play more courses in Rhode Island though… any recommendations?

●     Describe your short game

Whoever came up with the phrase “necessity is the mother of inventionmust have watched me around the greens and realized that it was necessary to invent a more playable set of wedges.  Don’t get me wrong, I’ve chipped in a few times but have skulled & chunked more than my fair share of shots as well.  Kinda like this - https://www.facebook.com/AskGolfGuru/videos/1522584917783476/  It is quite frustrating to put a couple good shots together only to have it all go to crap right next to the green. 

Early in the season I tell myself - “just get it on the green and keep it there”...so I don’t necessarily get it really close, or at least in the 1 putt, gimme range but after I’ve had a few rounds under my belt I get more comfortable with the feel and am a little better with chips and pitches - not always gimme range by any means, but at least better than 40 feet away.  One caveat though - I’m not very good at putting enough backspin on the ball so that it will hit the green, skid a bit and stop so I have to plan for the amount of “roll” that the ball will incur once it lands.

●     How is your wedge play currently?

I’d call my wedge play average.

Most people use wedges from 100 yards and in so I’ll use that as a measuring stick.  I’m most comfortable making a full swing.  A full swing for me at 100 yards is a 50 degree wedge, from 80 is a 54 and around 70 is a 58.  Anything closer than 70 yards and I’m either choking down on the club or taking a partial swing.  I’ve tried both and I’m not great at either but I’m probably better at choking down than doing the partial swing thing...a partial swing changes my tempo and I usually end up leaving it short.  [note: another thing I’m looking forward to trying with these wedges is the grip; according to Ping “This proprietary grip is 3/4 of an inch longer to encourage gripping down to achieve a lower trajectory and "dial in" tighter control on touch shots. Grip-down markings at 1 3/8-inch intervals guide hand placement, and a softer tapering profile improves feel when utilizing the lower grip-down markings.”...and as someone who likes to grip down and take a full swing these markings will be super helpful]

From off the green I’m not too bad… I can get the ball onto the green more often than not, but probably 70 percent of the time I leave myself a longer putt than I’d like.  (NOTE: as a 13/14 handicap sometimes a 1 putt is essential for par so getting the ball close on a chip becomes really important.)  

I’ve managed to hit more than a few decent ‘flop’ shots.  Kind of surprised myself with that; I think I must’ve learned to do that with my crappy 9 iron as a kid so I didn’t break the windows in the house from the back yard. 

As I said before, it’s a crapshoot (both literally and physically haha!) from the bunkers for me.  Sometimes I hit some incredible shots and other times I’m just trying to get out of there and on the green so I can putt.  I rarely hit a bunker shot really close to the pin.  I think I get too tentative and am afraid I’ll send it flying over the green.  I also start thinking about stuff I shouldn’t once I get in there - take this much sand or that much, don’t ground the club, hit behind and follow through...blah, blah, blah…. I should just hit the damn ball.

●     What are you hoping to get out of the wedges?

I want the ball to climb the face of the club like Spiderman

spiderman-on-wall.jpg

I want the ball to hit the green, stop, and back up like I was driving down the street in Miami and just saw Madonna hitchhiking in the buff…..this really happened.

madonna.jpeg

I want the ball to explode out of the sand like Pam Anderson going for a rescue.

Pamela-Anderson-Baywatch.jpg

And, I’m hoping that the wedges live up to the hype

From Ping:
New, sharper-edged grooves are spaced closer together for increased friction, imparting more spin (up to 400 rpm in testing) for precise distance and trajectory control from full swings and finesse shots. The enhanced sole grinds and lead edges in the 431SS heads have been carefully crafted for exceptional surface interaction and versatility, gliding through the turf and sand to enable creativity in shot making
Eye 2-inspired sole design provides the ultimate in bunker performance, resulting from the classic dish profile along with the tapered hosel. A refined lead edge upgrades all-around performance with the iconic ES grind.

Based on this I’m hoping for a few things.

• Not to be worried if my ball ends up in the bunker; I want the confidence to know that I can both get it out and get it close

• To be able to hit those ½ and ¾ shots that do a little Chi Chi Rodriguez dance on the green and sit next to the pin like a good labrador retriever.

• To impart some spin on the ball so that when I take a full swing and the ball lands on the green it doesn’t go racing off like it’s on a California highway car chase.

Finally - if you’re similar to me when you play golf… what are you hoping that I test or try so that you’ll have a good basis for deciding whether to purchase these?

Unboxing

Received the wedges unexpectedly on a rainy day.  The FedEx driver left it outside and the box got wet so I didn’t include any outside photos, but, after a long and tiring day it was really, really nice to see that waiting there for me.

The wedges were in a typical “golf club box” but they had cozy black booties to keep them safe and warm for their journey east.

aa2.JPG aa4.JPG

First impressions

I thought that the wedges looked a bit chunky at first.  They seemed to have a thick topline.  However after comparing them to my current wedges (Callaway MD2) I realized that wasn’t true.  

e2.JPG

One of the first things I noticed is the color.  I’m used to shiny metal things - irons, wedges, putter, etc.  These were a matte gray - truly.  And I loved it!  They look really really refined and professional.  The bottom of the wedges are so smooth and silky soft to the touch.

d02.JPG

Unfortunately, it was a bit of a hectic evening so I had to put my new toys away and play with them the next day.  :(

Once I got them out and examined them a bit more closely I noticed a few things. 

-       There is little to no offset which is very nice.
abc.jpg

-       The grips are amazing.  Very sticky and solid.  I absolutely love the markings on the grips and can’t wait to try them out.  I think this is really going to help with my distances because I’ll be able to consistently grip down to the exact same position each time.

-       The face and grooves are the real deal.  I was a bit skeptical on the whole “sharpest grooves ever!; 20 deg sidewall angle” thing, but you can really see it.  I’m excited to see how the ball reacts both on well struck shots and some not-so-well ones.

d01.JPG

-       Definitely one of the nicer -simple- touches they added was putting the loft number on the toe.  Just really makes the bounce stand out and, in some ways, reminds you that you should use it.  :)

d09.JPG

Does the hydropearl finish repel water?  Does a bear poop in the woods…

d12.JPG

Really like the way they look in the bag.

d10.JPG

And at address…

d06.JPG

And when I hold them up in the air

d.JPG

The 50/54 are SS grind and the 58 is the ES grind.  You can really see the difference when you put them side-by-side.

d03.JPG

They do look good behind the ball.

d08.JPG

Compared to current gamers (Callaway MD2 Tour)

This video really shows the difference in the bounce between the Cally’s and Ping’s...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZSb_rojxis

Notice how much “meat” there is on the Ping…

e6.JPG

e5.JPG

You can really see a difference in the grips…

e1.JPG

Clearly a different strategy was used when designing the faces; I like how there is a clear difference between the face and the rest of the club on the Ping; not sure about that white line though?  We’ll see..

e4.JPG

e3.JPG

Compared to PW in my Sterling irons

Notice the difference in the color of the shine on the clubs.

f02.JPG

f11.JPG

Comparing the clubface of the Sterling PW and Ping 50* wedge you can see the subtle but distinct differences (PW on bottom)

f03.JPG

And that’s it! 

cheers.jpg

Sorry for the lengthiness and cheers to those of you that made this far.

I can’t wait to get started using these bad boys and am really looking forward to the second part of the review.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Stage 2

Ping Glide 2.0 Wedge – Official MGS Forum Review by Jason Humes

GLIDE-2.0-WEDGE.jpg

Player Biography

Prior to receiving the Ping wedges I had 2 wedges - Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind - 52 degree and 58 degree; all stock from Callaway.  I got them last year and did fairly well with them so I was curious how the Pings would compare.

The journey, Not the destination matters…” - T.S. Eliot

I, like many of you, enjoy golf because it is one of those rare games where you can see improvement based on multiple things - new clubs, changes to how you hit the ball, practicing, etcetera, etcetera.  I’ll be honest with you, if I wasn’t either improving or staying around where I’m at I probably wouldn’t play.  If you were to ask me if I would pay 50 dollars (or more) to suck at something for 4 hours over and over I’d probably say no… I can go on a hike for free.   B) 

As I mentioned in my Stage 1 I’m self-taught.  Not quite Bubba level but I’ve watched a number of youtube vids, a lot of television, read some books and practiced….a lot.  I firmly believe in practicing; I try to hit the range as often as I can (1-2x per week) and in season I try to at least swing a club once a day and do a little putting.  Golf moves so many muscles and I am a big believer in muscle memory.  Ideally I will get to the point where I stand over the ball and instinctively know what to do - without thinking about it.  I’m not there yet.

In the beginning I was terrible.  But I’ve been able to consistently get a little better and a little better.  However, I keep things in perspective; I’m 45 now and I won’t be joining any tours.  If there is one “goal” I have it is to break 80.  Once I do that I’ll probably aim to get to a single digit handicap but I’m not on a mission to become a scratch golfer.  I just don’t want to embarrass myself out there.  I’m a picker of the golf ball too.  I’ve never really been a deep divot taker.  Keep that in mind as you read this review.  It’s good to have a perspective of where I’m coming from as well as what I’m aiming towards. 

One more thing - my gamers are (were) Callaway Mack Daddy 2, but I’ve hit Cleveland, TaylorMade, Ping and Titleist wedges in the past so that is what I’m comparing the Glide 2.0 to.

d9.JPG

Performance at the Range

I’ve only been able to hit these on ranges with mats; our grass ranges aren’t open yet since it is early in the season.  I’ve been to the range 4-5 times with these.  I’m not a member of a club so I go to public ranges where a lot of other people are hitting balls around me and there are a lot of other balls out on the range.  Not a big deal but just wanted to set the scene.

My range experience with the Ping wedges was satisfying.  I felt that I could make good center face contact with the ball relatively consistently and the clubs had a very pleasing ‘click’ when you hit the ball.  The ball next to the club face looks very good with the satin gray (versus polished steel) color.

My gamers are 52 degrees and 58 degrees; the Ping wedges I ordered are 50, 54 and 58 degrees.  My closest comparison was the 52 degree Callaway to the 50 degree Ping (I don’t use a full swing with my 58 much but for comparison purposes I tried it). 

Accuracy

Full shots:

The accuracy was spot on; I was able to get 80 percent of my shots within about 15 feet of each other.  These are pretty close to point and shoot.

Pitch shots:

I was really impressed with how easy it was to pitch with the Ping wedges and how accurate they were; I could choke down on the 58 and hit it to 30 yards pretty much every time. 

Distance

Full shots:

When I play I try to not ‘kill it’ and instead put an aggressive, smooth swing on the ball.  I found that when I did that the distance was about what I expected for the 50*; around 100 yards.  My Callaway 52 went a little further, probably 115 or so, but I knew that would happen.  When I went after it with the 50 I could get it out to the 115/120 distance but that brought in some accuracy issues and if I had a shot from that distance I’d more than likely just club up.  I hit both the 58 degree Ping and Callaway wedges with full swings just for the heck of it and they both went about the same distance.  So, from a distance perspective, I didn’t notice any gains or losses and I’d say that distance with these wedges is about the same as any other wedge with the same loft.

Pitch shots:

I think this is where the Pings took a slight lead over the Callaway.  I cannot overstate how great the grip is on the Ping wedges.  I was able to set my hands down to both the 2nd and 3rd arrow marks on the grip on both the 54 and 58 and attain a very consistent distance each time.  The bounce on these was also a big help.  I didn’t find myself gouging the wedge into the mat or hitting thin screamers.  I was able to pick the ball pretty cleanly most every time.

Trajectory

Full shots:

I hit the ball kind of high.  Not super high but higher than normal.  I don’t have a lot of “forward press” so I don’t deloft the club but I also don’t flip which means I don’t really add loft either.
The trajectory on my full shots is about what I expected.  The ball didn’t go higher or lower than I normally hit it with other wedges I’ve had.

Pitch shots:

This is where the Pings nudged ahead of my gamers a little more.  My full shot with a 58 is about 70 yards so I felt that if I had less than 70 yards I could hit all 3 clubs the same distance with varying trajectories.  This is where the grip again came in handy.  I could choke down all the way on the 50 and hit it low, up to the 2nd notch on the 54 and get it a bit higher and not quite all the way to the top of the 58 and lob it up.  Of course, hitting on the range where there were a lot of other balls already on the ground I couldn’t get a great perspective on how much the ball would run out on lower shots but I felt pretty confident that I could use all 3 clubs from the same distance and vary the trajectory as needed.

Forgiveness

Full shots:

These are wedges so mishits aren’t going to be really bad since, typically, you’re only hitting them around 100-120 yards but whether on the toe or heel (I rarely hit the ball on the heel and every so often on the toe) I felt that there wasn’t a great loss of distance and accuracy.  Don’t get me wrong, you’ll know when you’ve found the center of the face but it is isn’t as dramatic as you might think. 

Pitch shots:

Let’s face it - flubbed shots are flubbed shots and there’s nothing that any club can do to forgive that.  Now that we agree on that I can tell you that these wedges are very, very forgiving on pitches that aren’t hit quite right.  Perhaps it’s the sole design, the rounded leading edge or something else but I noticed that if I caught the ball a bit heavy or thin I wasn’t punished as severely as I expected.

Control

Full shots:

I usually don’t move the ball around much.  I can hit a fade or a draw but my dispersion isn’t very good (i.e. it could be a 5 yard draw or 20 yard draw) so I don’t do it unless I have to.  With that being said I felt I could pretty easily draw or fade the 50 and 54 degree wedges fairly easily (I would never try to fade or draw a 58 unless it was an emergency).  In regards to hitting the ball high or low, as I said before I don’t really change the dynamic loft much when I hit full shots.  I try to just make clean center face contact and clip the ground in front of the ball.  I was able to keep the ball low with all 3 wedges by moving it back in my stance a little further than normal and I could hit it higher than normal with each wedge by moving the ball forward and opening the face.  But to be honest I don’t hit those type of shots much during a round so I don’t practice them too often.  The ‘low ball’ shot is about the same for me with any other wedge I’ve used but the high shot I felt was easier to do with the Glide 2 wedges.  (Maybe I’ve never had the right bounce?)  But remember, I’m hitting off mats at a range and not from grass.

Pitch shots:

Low pitches/chips were fairly easy to perform with the Glide wedges but not any more or less than other wedges I’ve used.  I think this is mostly technique and the results will be close to the same as other wedges.  The shots where the Pings stood out were the flop shots.  Even on grass mats at a range I felt it was super easy to get the clubface to slide under the ball with all 3 wedges and flop it up in the air.  Again - technique is a big thing here - I’ve hit flop shots in the past so I kind of had an idea of how to pull it off but I was able to do it over and over again with these.  If I had to hit that kind of shot in a round I wouldn’t be scared to do it with the Pings, whereas I probably would be holding my breath with my gamers hoping I don’t skull it.

Keep in mind that this is all on the range with no pressure.   If you miss one or don’t get it very close to your target there’s always another one right behind it with no penalty.   ^_^ 

Range Score: (9/10)

d8.JPG

Performance on the Course

I’ve played 18 holes with the wedges 3 times and approximately 15 holes once.

• My first round the weather was great and I played 18 and had a so-so round.
  • My second and third rounds I played 36 (18 back-to-back) without a break on a warm day and played rather well.
  • My 15 hole round was at a 9 hole course on a terrible weather day where the wind was gusty, it was 47 and rained the entire time.  I played 15 because I was by myself on the course and I was able to play a few holes more than once.  Since I was out there alone I didn’t keep score and was able to hit multiple balls and used my GPS watch to drop at specific distances.

It’s not how, it’s how many” - Every Golfer Ever

I didn’t take any video/photos of my first 3 rounds but I did capture quite a bit of video and some photos of my 15 hole round in the rain which you will see here.  Apologies for the quality of the video...first time taking video by myself while playing and it was a little tricky.  I tried to get either a before or after photo and in some cases I missed it.  What I’m hoping you get out of the videos is NOT the quality of the swing ( :lol:) but the sound of the club connecting with the ball and going through the sand as well as the ball flight (if you can see it).  Also - if a scrub like me can do well with these wedges then it’s pretty likely that you’ll also have great success!

In no specific order…

A couple of approach shots

This is a full 50 degree wedge shot from about 95 yards.  Notice a couple of things here… the nice way that the club makes contact and glides ( :P) through the fairway and the way the water sprays away. 

345b_Full50Result.gif

I didn’t hit the ball great here and faded it a bit off to the right but I still got a pretty good result from the shot.

A full 58 degree wedge from around 72 yards away.  Takeaways here are the pleasing “click” when you hit the ball and the way the club doesn’t ‘dig’ into the turf.

Another shot a little bit closer (around 65 yards) but this time I used a 54 degree wedge and choked down on the grip with a ¾ backswing and abbreviated follow through.

150c_54_58_58_Result.gif

Notice the tight grouping here. I also hit my Callaway 58 from the same spot as the Ping 58 but didn’t get any video.  What I’m hoping you take away is how little rollout I got on the Ping shots.  Both the 54 and 58 hopped and stopped really well.  This tells me that the amount of spin on the ball compared to the Callaway is greater.

Now on to a few Pitches

Here I’m about 35 yards away; notice the shoulder on the green on the left.  I wanted to pitch the ball up and over that and get it to settle close to the hole.  I used my 58 degree wedge.  If you look close you can see the ball land, skip and stop.

127a_35yardPitchApproach.jpg

This pic gives a bit better idea of the contour of the green and the lie I had.  As you can see it’s a bit on a side hill so the ball ends up right of the pin in the video.  (the white ball on the green was my tee shot..I played multiple balls on this hole and dropped one here)

Here I was about 80 yards away and tried to put a nice, easy, smooth swing on the ball with my 54 degree wedge.  As you can probably notice I got under it a bit.

220b_Smooth54Result.gif

Walking up to the green I was pleasantly surprised.  I suppose it was good I got under it because it landed nicely and didn’t go too far.  Keep in mind that it was wet on the greens but even so I was surprised at how close the ball was to my pitch mark.

A couple of short pitches here from about 25-30 yards.  First was with the 54 and second was with the 58.  You can really see the ball get up in the air quickly with the 58.  Unfortunately I forgot to snap a photo of the result but they were both within about 10 feet of the pin.

Chip/Flop

213_54degreeChipResult.gif

I wasn’t able to get video of this chip shot but I couldn’t believe the result.  I was on a sidehill lie with the ball above my feet about 5 yards off the green.  The pin was down to my left and I had to get the ball over the fringe and let it roll out.  I usually chip with my 54 degree and you can see from the photo how nicely the ball rolled down to the cup.

I realized that I hadn’t tried a flop shot yet and I have to do this every so often so I thought I’d include that here.  This is a par 5; imagine your second shot ended up on the hill to the left of the pin.  With the green well below me I had to get the ball up in the air quickly and have it land and roll down to the hole.  I hit a great shot here with my 58 and landed the ball right where I wanted.  Unfortunately, with the wet green, I didn’t get as much roll on the ball as I was hoping but I would feel comfortable hitting this shot all day long.

Bunker shots

Now for what we all came to see ( :D).  This was a short bunker shot in which the pin was about 10 feet from the fringe.  I didn’t do so good on the video here because you can’t see the target but as you can see I had to get the ball up and over the bank and then have it land softly.  This was my first bunker shot of the day and you’ll want to turn the volume up on this one and get a good idea of how the club makes a nice “thump” in the sand!  I also didn’t get the result but I was quite happy with how the ball came out.

I was so surprised at the first bunker shot that I thought I’d try a couple more.  In this case I did get the pin in the video so you can get a good idea of what I was facing.  These were a couple of longer bunker shots in which I had to take a more aggressive swing to get the ball to the pin.  Again, turn the volume up(!) so you can get a good sense of how easily the club gets through the sand and makes that pleasing thump.  Also, notice how quickly the ball checks up once it lands.  Just as an aside - these were 2 of the better bunker shots that I’ve ever hit; long bunker shots have been my nemesis for quite some time and I was really pleased with how these turned out.

249b_FullBunkerShotResult.gif

A couple of tap-in’s from 2 long bunker shots?  Hell yeah!  I’ll take that all day long and twice on Sunday.

As you can see from the videos and photos above these clubs are quite accurate.  My dispersion is excellent and I’m leaving myself with very good opportunities on the green.  Depending on the lie and the green I’ll chip with either the 58 or the 54.  Typically I’ll use the 54 for a bump-and-run type shot but I find myself using the 58 more often than I normally would.  I think this is due to the sole grind on the wedge and the fact that I can “nip” the ball pretty regularly with it.  Comparing the chipping with my gamers I don’t find a lot of difference (other than the sole grind on the 58) in making contact with the ball, however my consistency is much better.  I think that is both a function of the grips, in which I can regularly grip the club in the same location, and the grooves imparting more spin on the ball so that it doesn’t run away as much.

Another thing that is fairly clear from the videos and photos is that the spin on these wedges is the real deal.  They certainly live up to their billing and I found that the ball lands with a lot of spin and stays fairly close to where it lands.  I’ve not been able to get the ball to spin back with these clubs yet but I think that is more of a technique/training issue rather than anything to do with the clubs.  I’m confident that once I figure out how to get that backspin I’ll be able to back the ball up pretty consistently.

I’m a fairly boring golfer in that I don’t hit many “Phil Mickelson” specialty type shots with my wedges.  About as ‘special’ as I get is hitting a flop shot when needed and, as you can see, that is pretty easy to pull off.  I can hit the ball high or low with these but I find that I lose some accuracy when I do that so if I need to keep the ball low I’ll just use a lower lofted club with less clubhead speed and if I need to go high I’ll do the opposite.

I have 3 wedges: 50, 54 and 58; the 50 and 54 have the SS grind with 12 degrees of bounce which is your basic all-around sole grind and the 58 is the ES grind with 8 degrees of bounce.

This is the info from the Ping site:

SS Grind
An all-purpose mid-bounce sole with heel and trail edge relief to create versatility on touch shots around the green. Ideal for moderate attack angles and divots. Fits most golfers.

ES Grind
Eye 2-inspired sole design provides the ultimate in bunker performance, resulting from the classic dish profile along with the tapered hosel. A refined lead edge upgrades all-around performance with the iconic ES grind.

I don’t take much of a divot and try to just ‘bruise’ the ground in front of the ball when I swing.  That being said I haven’t had any issue with the SS grind from tight lies, in the rough or on the fringe.  The club glides nicely along the ground.  The ES grind must stand for “easy sand” because I am amazed how easy it is to play bunker shots with the 58 degree.  The club just seems to slide right through the sand each time without a lot of effort.  I am very, very happy with my bunker play with the 58.  I also find myself using the 58 more frequently around the green due to the fact that it is relatively easy to get the club under the ball and not ‘chunk’ or ‘thin’ it.

Course Score: (38/40)

Performance Notes

These clubs are fantastic; some of the best wedges I have ever hit, but don’t get me wrong, these are not magic wands.  It is extremely difficult to compensate for poor technique with any club and just because you have these in your hands doesn’t excuse the fact that you need to be able to generally know how to hit the shot you’re attempting.  I will say though, there is some forgiveness for poor execution; you do not have to be a great wedge player to use these clubs.

Something which I noticed right away is the fact that the weight distribution in these clubs is very well done.  The head has just the right amount of weight; they are balanced very nicely, and it makes swinging them seem effortless.  With my gamers I would kind of “lose” the club in my backswing because of the head weight but the weight of these - especially the 58 degree - really helps you feel the head in the swing and know where the face of the club is.

I am quite happy with the way these have performed thus far.  I’ve hit a lot of quality golf shots with them both on the range and at the course.  Compared to what I was currently playing I find them easier to control with better accuracy and dispersion.  I can probably hit my current clubs a bit farther because I think they are a little on the lighter side so I can swing faster, but I’m not nearly as accurate with them.  I will gladly give up a little distance (especially with wedges) to gain more accuracy!  The spin with my Callaway wedges is very good but these take it up another notch.  I was shocked by how quickly the ball hopped and stopped. 

Honestly, I didn’t find much lacking in these clubs and I’m not sure how I would improve them.  They are a bit on the chunky side so maybe - somehow - put them on a diet without sacrificing any feel?  As far as the grips, maybe add a couple more marks on them for hand placement or make them in other colors.  I’m not sure if these come in a dark color (I love the satin!) but perhaps make a version that is gunmetal or copper for those players that like darker wedges. 

One thing these wedges will do is give you a lot of confidence in your short game.  When I have a shot like this (New England Country Club, 18th hole) I have plenty of confidence that I can execute it successfully.

NECC_18.jpg

Subjective

Looks

These clubs do look very nice.  It seems that the trend in wedges these days is to reduce the graphics, stampings, etc. and I think Ping has done a fantastic job here.  The smooth clean sole with the loft and bounce engraved on the toe is excellent.  You’ll know that they are Ping clubs but the stampings and graphics are very subtle with a minimal design and just the right information.  There are also only 2 colors throughout the club - satin gray and black - which I think really helps to reduce the noise.

The satin gray color is fantastic.  Ping did a nice job of extending it from the hosel all the way through the club and it really stands out as very clean and smooth.  I’m curious how it will hold up but so far it’s done quite well. 

The club looks good behind ball and in the sun it will be nice to have the softer gray color.  The face of the club is darker grey which I like and helped me ensure I’ve got the ball centered on the clubface.

There is minimal offset which blends nicely into the face and isn’t noticeable at address.  The leading edge is a bit more rounded than my Callaway wedge and the bottom groove is painted white.  I’m not quite sure what the significance of that is and I can’t say it’s made a difference one way or the other.  In comparison to my Callaway wedges I think the rounded leading edge helps me get the ball on the face quicker and easier and helps me hit more crisp shots.

The grip has the standard Ping dog-bone texture and has good tackiness.  The extra length isn’t noticeable unless you hold it up to another club.  It comes in all black with white markings spaced out equally where I place the thumb on my lower hand.  This is very helpful for establishing consistent distance when hitting shots.

Put it all together and it is a very nice package.  They don’t look like your normal Ping clubs, are very professional looking, and strike a good balance between essential fundamental elements and important and useful graphics.  I think Ping has done a nice job with these and the looks of the wedges stands out from other wedges and would certainly make one stop and take notice while looking around in a golf store.  I wouldn’t be surprised if someone picked these up and were surprised that they were Ping clubs.

Looks Score: (15/15)

d10.JPG

Sound and Feel

My very first time on the range after the first shot I hit I had to take a step back.  I held the club up, looked at it all over to see if it said “forged” anywhere.  I’ve played forged irons and wedges where you get that nice ‘click’ sound when you hit the ball and it’s like slicing through cream cheese - a little firm at first with a nice soft finish.  That’s what these remind me of.  That click sound is so pleasing and gives you so much confidence. 

When I have a mishit I don’t hit the ball much on the heel, more so on the toe or low on the face and, while the feedback is there, it isn’t severe as other wedges I’ve played.  I don’t know how big the sweet spot is but - relatively speaking - I don’t lose much when I don’t hit the ball right in the middle of the clubface; the strikes are pretty consistent across the face of the club rather than when hitting a very specific spot right in the center. 

I’ve hit Titleist, Cleveland and Callaway wedges and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that these are the best sounding and feeling wedges I’ve ever hit.  Callaway MD3 comes in second but it’s not that close.

Sound and Feel Score: (15/15)

grooves.jpg

Likelihood of Purchase

I would be highly likely to purchase these wedges both because of the uniqueness of the grip and the feel when swinging them.  Couple that with the fact that they look very nice - both from afar and at address - have that professional appearance yet also seem to be forgiving, and I’d be hard pressed not to put these in the bag.

LOP Score: (19/20)

d3.JPG

If you like to play “boring” golf in which you pretty much hit every shot right where you’re aiming and to the same distance every time then I’d say that these wedges are for you.  In a video I watched recently there was a comment about how on the range years ago you had to go pick up the balls with a shag bag after you hit them so the idea was to try to hit them all in close proximity to one another so you didn’t have to walk all over the place when picking them up.  I feel like I can go to the range pick a 15 foot circle and without a lot of effort hit a bucket of balls right into that circle.  Of course I don’t have to go pick them up myself but if I did these clubs would make it very easy to do.

If you don’t go with these clubs I highly, highly suggest getting the grips and putting them on your gamers.  I can’t tell you how often I used the markings on the grips and how much consistency it has added to my game.

d.JPG

Questions & Answers

Q: What sole grinds should I get?  Try them or just pick one?

A: I think the best thing to do would be to try these wedges with the different soles and compare them to some of the other wedges.  If that’s not an option I think you’d do well using the online fitting tool on the Ping site.  Doing that, as well as a basic understanding of the conditions at the courses you typically play, how you swing (steep/shallow) and your skill level will give you a good idea of the sole grinds you should consider.  Something else you might consider is checking out the ‘custom options’ on the Ping site (the wedge section is on the last page) - this will give you a good idea of the various modifications that can be made on the soles and edges and what they mean.

Q: what about the shafts and the grips?

A: I went with the same shafts that I use in my irons.  If possible definitely get fit but if that’s not an option I’d suggest you go with whatever you feel comfortable with.  Utilize the Ping site as they will give more details on the shaft options and/or contact a fitter (if you can’t get fit) and ask their opinion.  For me it was a little confusing on whether I should choose the Ping wedges shaft or the shafts that are in my irons.  After getting some advice I went with the same iron shaft and am really pleased.

If you go through the online fitting at the Ping site they’ll suggest a grip for you, but I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again - try the wedge grips.  First, they’re great grips on their own but with both the markings and the extra length on the grip so that you can grip down further I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Q: will these help me/my game? (The 64,000 dollar question!)

A: If you’re considering new wedges or aren’t happy with what you’re using right now then I’d highly suggest you give these a try.  I can’t say for certain that these will help you and your game but from my experience these wedges have helped me quite a bit - both in accuracy/shot making and confidence in my short game.  It really has shed a new light on the ‘mental’ aspect of the game and how much trust and faith is needed when attempting a shot.

Conclusion

Quick story: My 3rd round with these and I’d been playing pretty well.  I get to the 11th hole and I’m playing by myself and there’s a foursome in front of me.  It’s a 125 yard par 3 from an elevated tee box with hazards all around.  They’re getting ready to chip on/putt and see me up on the tee box and wave me on.  DAMN!  Now I gotta hit this well… there are 4 guys standing next to the green watching me.  I grab my 50 degree and think, well… this will be a true test, don’t let me down. 

highfields11.jpg

Don’t ya know it… I take a nice smooth swing and make good contact but the hole is really elevated so I can’t really tell where the ball will land.  I see it’s going fairly straight and BOOM!... lands 12 inches away from the cup, skids once and stops about 8 inches away.  I get down there and one of the guys says he really thought it was going in and that I got robbed because the green was so soft from the rain the previous day.  Just my luck, but at that point I KNEW that these were the wedges for me. 

I’ve never given much credence to my wedges.  I figured they were kinda like a putter and it’s mostly just a “feel” thing or what the club looks like and if you liked the way it looked then just go with it.  This experience has really, really opened my eyes to how very wrong I’ve been.  I now understand just how important a good quality set of wedges is to scoring well and consistently.  I’ve only played a few times but I can already see improvements in my score.  I’ve been much more consistent in “getting on” in regulation and I really think that these wedges have a lot to do with it.

As I said before, these aren’t miracle clubs….leave those for the infomercials on the golf channel ( :lol:).  They are a very nice set of clubs that can be used by anyone from a touring pro to a 26 handicap.  Honestly, I can’t say for a fact that they are any better or worse than what is on the market today, but what I can say is that if you do decide to move forward with these I have no doubt you’ll be very pleased with your purchase and it will be well worth the investment.

Total Score: (96/100)

Stay tuned for stage 3 where I might have one of these to share!

HoleInOne.jpg

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Stage 3 Placeholder

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

IMG_3946.JPG

How in the World am I supposed to follow that?!? Madonna and Pamela Anderson, really? I like to think I'm witty. I've got nothing for strokerAce, LOLZ. So, anyway, here goes: I'm a wanna be Spy, but apparently I'm no Ace.

IMG_3739.JPG

I also am really excited for The opportunity to test these wedges! I have been in the market, and these were high on my list. I played Ping clubs and wedges many many years ago, and sometimes I wonder why I ever strayed from the fold.

IMG_3948.JPG

A little about me, my game, and my experiences in golf.

Handicap? GHIN Index: 13.8

Strengths of your game? Good driver of the ball, decent iron player, good to better than average putter.

Weakness of your game? Greenside sand; soft conditions (which I play in a lot); medium length pitches (1/2 and 3/4 swings)

Typical ball flight? High with slight fade.

Typical miss? With a wedge, either fat or a pull. (Over the top, much?)

Current comparable equipment? I have a stable of wedges: Cleveland, Vokey, currently gaming Mizuno JPX.

Swing tempo? Medium, but with a pretty strong transition at the top.

Driver swing speed? 103-105 mph measured at Bridgestone's facility last year.

What makes you love the game? Camaraderie, being outdoors, competing against the golf course and/or my opponent.

How long have you been golfing? Played my first round on “senior skip day” in high school; 1981.

What kind of golfer are you? Competitive, lousy, optimistic. Always think I can pull it off, even when I shouldn't.

What's your story? Never played golf growing up. Knew of it, of course, but played the traditional, baseball, basketball, football. Became way more interested in playing golf while home summers in college, and have gradually replaced all my other sporting loves with golf over the years. I've played the gamut of league golf, outing golf, “fun” tournament golf, and serious tournament golf. I've also worked as a committee member on a PGA Champions Tour event in Michigan. As such, I've walked inside the ropes with a few names you've probably heard: Trevino, Player, Watson, Rodriguez (Chi Chi), & The King himself, Mr. Palmer. I even met my wife while working on the tournament!

I had attended the US Open at Oakland Hills in 1985 with some friends, but working on a tournament from the inside really got me interested in tournament golf. My brother in law, in fact, left our tournament and worked on the Toshiba Classic on the Senior Tour for five years in CA. I never quite caught that bug, but have attended a lot of the big PGA Tour events. (US Opens, PGA, Masters, Tour Championship, Ryder Cup.) To see the pros in person , under that type of pressure, is an amazing thing. From the shots they hit, to the shots they ATTEMPT, it's a different world. So to say I'm hooked on this game would be an understatement.

What is in my bag?

Bridgestone JGR 9.5* Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

Callaway RazrFit Xtreme 3W Ozik Matrix HD Radix 4x

Cleveland 588 20.5* Hybrid Ozik Black Tie HM3 95x

Callaway XHOT 22* 4 Hybrid Callaway Project X Hot Stiff

Mizuno JPX-825 (4i - PW) KBS Tour 130x

Ping Glide 2.0 Wedges, 50, 54, 58 KBS Tour 130x

(Previously Mizuno JPX-825 50* G Wedge and JPX 54* / 58* Wedges)

Mati MAMO putter 33" Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0

Bridgestone Tour B330-RX Ball

How did you choose them? I've been fit for everything in the bag, save the Hybrids and the putter. (I won the Mati in a MGS contest!!)

What region do you play out of? I live in the Southeast, specifically in the Upstate portion of South Carolina, between Greenville and Clemson. I travel often for work, however, and play a lot of golf in TX, as well as throughout the Southeast and the Midwest. (I have kind of a LARGE territory, LOLZ. In fact, I'm editing this in Houston.)

Describe your short game: Historically I have been a very good short game player, except for greenside sand. Some days I'm good to above average out of the bunkers, but more often I'm far below average in that portion of the game. Otherwise, while I'm no Phil Mickelson, I do have a good imagination and can often times execute the shot that is required, or manufacture one.

How is your wedge play currently?

I changed wedges in the Summer of 2014 when I purchased my Mizuno JPX-825 irons. I had been playing an older set of Callaway wedges (X-14), and realized that even though I had had a lot of success with them, they really weren't the right fit for me. I had adapted my game and swing to them, not the other way around. I had been playing those Callaway X-14 wedges and irons since 2000, and I was VERY used to them. I actually struggled a lot with the Cleveland wedges, as they were significantly different than my old set. Fit for me, yes, but still a long adjustment period.

What are you hoping to get out of the Ping Glide 2.0 wedges?

I play a lot of golf in soft conditions. Many courses in the Southeast US are pretty soft. I've experimented with some different wedge bounces, and I'm hopeful that with the bounce I've got in these wedges (12, 12, 14) combined with my swing, (and the fact that they're more upright than my current wedges) I'll eliminate one of my bad misses, which is hitting the shot fat. Also, with what I believe to be the proper shaft, I'm confident my distance control will be better and my shot dispersion on full swings will be much tighter. This has been a big problem with the Mizuno wedges in my bag, but I've been too cheap or too scared to replace them, until this opportunity came along.

Stroker did a great job showing photos of the packaging, but I do have a couple items to add:

IMG_1433.JPG

IMG_3941.JPG

The box is very nondescript. We all love a cool box that has logos all over it. However when it has to sit outside on your porch or next to your garage door, the fact that this box says virtually nothing about what is inside in my opinion is a great thing! This box will not draw nefarious attention to your brand-new clubs!

IMG_3943.JPG

I also thought that the shipping booties were very cool! I had never seen anything quite like that installed on a club in the box before. Usually it's a little bubble wrap and a rubber band. This makes me think that Ping feels these clubs are very special! I also wonder if I shouldn't go get some little neoprene sleeves for my new wedges. (No, I will not!)

The clubs themselves are beautiful. I think it has been to the detriment of Ping in the past that sometimes their clubs looked a little flat. They weren't shiny, they weren't ornamental, they were just great clubs. However, we know that shiny and ornamental often sells. These wedges are a work of art.

Since I already feel pretty confident that I am going to be writing a very positive Stage 2 review, and you are ALL going to want these wedges, a little word about grips: I assume that many of us realize that Ping has a color coding system to determine the lie of the golf club that's fit to your swing. However, I guess even though I played Pings in the past I was unaware that they also had a color coding system for grips. :huh: Either I had forgotten, never knew, or this has changed since 1990. In any case, I thought I was actually going to get GOLD grips on my Ping wedges... Thankfully the "gold" code is only 1/32" over standard. I hardly notice at all. Thank goodness I didn't decide I wanted ORANGE! I would have been using my hook blade knife to cut more than the tape on the delivery box!

IMG_3944.JPG

The grips are awesome, and I'll have a LOT more to say about them in Stage 2. I have a lot of swings in the books with these already, including 18 holes today! Here's a sneak preview of coming attractions:

IMG_3954.JPG

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Initial Range Thoughts - Day 1:

These are my “Out of the box, oh boy these are pretty, I'm SO HAPPY!, let's go to the range” initial thoughts. We'll see how accurate they were/are after a few weeks, rounds, thins, fats & F&@%$!!

•Seem incredibly accurate! Very easy to hit exactly at the target.

•Cuts through the turf very nicely, hit a couple thin shots, but that is not unusual for me.

•Experimented a little bit with the Dyla-Wedge Grip. I think it will be fairly easy after a little bit of practice to determine what my yardages would be when choking down to either of the two markings on the grip.

•Hit a few full shots with each, just to get the basic yardages down. Then experimented with hitting to different targets with different wedges, in order to see how easy or difficult it would be to adjust or adapt on the fly. Seems very simple at this point to dial back a little bit softer/shorter shot with any of the three wedges.

•Hit about 20 bunker shots, primarily with the 58°. That is the club I typically use in the greenside sand. Bunker was not in very good shape, but the club did seem to cut through the sand very well and the ball appeared to have quite a bit of spin coming out.

Shank's bunker…

IMG_4615.JPG

IMG_4616.JPG

So, for those who aren't aware, I practice at a range called “Shanks's”. You can't make this stuff up. If any of you were fans of “The Big Break” on The Golf Channel, Shank's (there are actually two locations) is owned by a Big Breaker who was quite a fan favorite: Robbie Biershenk, aka: Shank. He's an awesome guy, and he runs the only range I've ever been to where a US Amatuer champ might be found behind the counter. (Chris Patton is a local guy, a good friend of Robbie's, and he's hanging around once in a while.)

In any case, the practice bunker is certainly not up to a USGA event standards. That said, if I can play these balls out of this thing, a decent bunker on a golf course should be a piece of cake, eh?

So after a good hour plus at Shank's, I already have more confidence in these wedges that I have in the last couple sets that I've had in my bag. (Cleveland CG15, Mizuno JPX) my shot dispersion on full swings is much tighter with these clubs, I believe it is a combination of the face, the head with the proper (for me) bounce, and the proper shaft flex for me in these wedges. Let's get these out to the course!

Stage 2:

So, a few weeks have passed. I've got a few more range sessions, five stroke play and one scramble round in the books with these babies. Here's my thoughts: (Apologies, Shankster. I kind of stole your format. Imitation & flattery, you know…)

Let's review: I decided on a 50/12 SS grind, a 54/12 SS grind, and a 58/14 WS grind. I wanted a lot of bounce, as I play in a lot of soft conditions, and I'm a pretty steep swinger of the golf club. All are Green dot, (2.25 deg upright) with KBS Tour 130X shafts. This matches my current Mizuno JPX-825 irons as closely as possible.

SS Grind.jpg

SS Grind

WS Grind.jpg

WS Grind

IMG_4100.JPG

Accuracy/Control

•Full shots: Extremely accurate. This really reinforces what I felt at the range the very first day. I actually have been playing pretty poorly the last few weeks, but I've very cognizant with alignment and ball position with these clubs. (Maybe I should try that with the rest in the bag.) I play a slight fade to a very straight ball off the wedges. The accuracy and dispersion of these clubs is stellar. I'm really a fan. I haven't made the attempt, and I don't really have the shots (re: talent) to try anyway, but my feeling is that you could hit any type of curvature you wished with these clubs.

IMG_3954.JPG

•Pitch shots: I can really flight these anyway I please from about 40 yards and in. I have enough swings in at this point that either playing at the range, or in an actual round, I've hit a wide variety of shots to targets at pretty close range. I've used and had to use each and every one for a differing variety of shots. I've kind of settled on the 50/12 SS for pitching a running. I was using my Mizuno JPX 54/10 for these shots previously. I'm able to land the ball with the Glide pretty accurately where I want to, and let it run out to the hole. I've been very pleased. As I said, I've been playing poorly, hence missing a lot of greens. Great for testing wedges; terrible for one's handicap in the long run.

The 54/12 SS is kind of my “general purpose” wedge. Again, I can knock it down, or open it up and hit some really soft shots. We all get short sided, and sometimes the lob just isn't the right choice. The 54 isn't anything super special, but it's a really good club.

The 58/14 is a special club, however. I have a TON of confidence with this club already. Really feel like I can put the ball on a dime around the green surface. I've purposefully been playing a lot of different ball types; B330-RX, Q Star, Duo, Diablo Tour, even Slazenger and (gasp) Top Flight. From close in, the 58 makes them all react pretty decently. Obviously you can do a lot more with a high spin urethane ball, but even if that's not your gamer, these wedges can improve your golf ball's performance around the green.

•Flop Shots: Phil Mickelson I am not. (In fact, as I have noted previously, more like Tim Herron.) However, I can flip the 54 pretty well, and I can really launch the 58! The one thing I have not done with these (yet…) is hit one right in the forehead while attempting the high soft, or high hard shot. These Glides cut through the grass very well.

•Bunker shots: Much like the flops, these (primarily the 58) are great in the bunker. Tons of spin, cuts through all the types of sand (dirt, mud) I've encountered so far. As noted, I've been playing a lot of golf balls on purpose to get some idea if you HAD to play a premium ball to get premium performance out of these clubs. I would at this point say “No.” Will you get superior performance from a superior ball? I think we all know the answer is yes. But, if you play a $15-19/dz surlyn golf ball, you will see much improved performance on full shots and around the greens, including bunkers, with these wedges in my opinion.

Distance

I initially struggled on the range with exactly how far I was hitting these wedges. I'm not one who typically believes the flags and markers at the range. I recently added a laser range finder to the arsenal, (Thanks MyGolfSpy testing!!) and I'm still in the process of making certain I'm 100% dialed in with these distances. That said, one thing I have noticed is that the distances are consistent. I was having some issues with my JPX wedges from a dispersion and constant distance standpoint. The Ping Glide 2.0's are spot on!

If it helps with analysis, my driver swing speed, measured a year ago, is 103 mph. I was fitted for my irons three summers ago, and I just don't remember my 6-iron clubhead speed. I carry that club about 170 yds, however. I'm fairly certain that I'm hitting the 50 deg 110 yds, the 54 100 yds, and the 58 approximately 85 yds, based on on course play. I'll have these dialed in by the Stage 3 review.

Trajectory

I hit the ball high. Always. I tested and still work pretty diligently with the DST Compressor, and I still flight the ball high. I'm certain it's cause and effect of my upright (steep) swing. But, it's mine, and I own it and am used to it.

The trajectory on my full shots is about what I expected. I really haven't attempted to flight the ball down, because it's not my forte. That said, as with draws and bigger fades, I believe they're in these clubs if you have that type of ball control.

Forgiveness

These are not big, cavity back super game improvement clubs. They do take a little bit of skill to execute a proper shot. I've already hit a fair amount of toe and heel shots with these, and you will see the adverse effect of doing so, more than you might with some other clubs available in the marketplace. If in your heart of hearts, you think you want or need a lot of offset, even in your wedges, these probably aren't going to be right for you. I've looked at them once or twice, when it's going sideways, and secretly wished for a little more. Just for a fleeting moment, because I've been sucking for three consecutive holes. However, a reasonably well struck ball will yield better than average results, lots of spin, (LOTS!!) and a shorter putt.

IMG_3955.JPG

Turf Eaters

Range Score: (19 / 20)

On Course Performance:

I've played five 18 hole rounds and a scramble.

My first round was on a business trip in Texas. I noted that I play a lot in soft conditions, and so wanted a ton of bounce. This course was rock hard & super firm. (Of course it was, LOL) That said, I missed a few greens, and had a lot of opportunities to get up and down. The wedges performed as they had on the range. I short sided myself in a pretty decent bunker on 18. Took a nice swing with the 58, and had about two and a half feet to save par. I of course missed it. Should have putted with the 58 as well...

I've played in a few different locales in the Southeast, and so have played in different grasses, different sand conditions and types and really in different stages of season and growth. These are my thoughts afterwards:

Where these wedges excel:

•In the sand. These are almost certainly the best wedges I have ever played in a bunker. I don't actually know that I have hit the 50, but I have played some long shots with the 54, and several around greens with the 58. Soft sand, firm sand, dry wet, dirt. If you make a proper swing, you will be dazzled by these clubs from the sand.

•In the rough. Much like the bunkers, these clubs will Glide (see what I did there?) through heavy thick wet grass. I actually mishit a couple early shots with the 50, assuming that the grass would catch the club, the hosel, etc. After smoking not one but two shots over greens, I realized that the design of this club somehow really assists with these types of shots. I'm sure that groove design and the fact that they are brand new grooves has a major effect, but this clubhead design also seems to create minimal resistance in the deep stuff.

Where these wedges are simply better than average:

•From the fairway. Don't get me wrong. They're really really good. But, every proper wedge today is good from the fairway. As I noted earlier, dispersion, control and consistent distance are all fantastic with these clubs. The ball does spin, there is no doubt there. I really believe that Ping did a great thing with the addition of the extra grooves at the bottom of the club. As I noted, I used everything from a tour quality ball to a rock I found under a bush, and they all performed well, as far as I was concerned. However, If I had brand new wedges that didn't perform well from the middle of the fairway, I'd take them back.

Where these wedges are not as good as others:

•The Dyla-wedge grip. I suppose it's nitpicking, but I'm not a fan. I thought initially I was going to LOVE this grip. I like the concept, but I have two issues with the grip. 1) When I grip down using the markings, it seems like I have to stoop over, and it's a very mechanical feel. That's just not the type of player I am or try to be. I've hit the only “bad” shots so far while trying to grip down using the markings.

2) It's just not as tacky as I like my grip. They came out of the box kind of weird feeling to me, and I haven't really been able to shake the fact that I subconsciously want to grip the club harder because I don't feel that the grip is right for me. They're still on all three clubs, but I'm not sure how long they're going to last.

IMG_3958.JPG

Course Score: (34 / 40)

Notes

•Best wedges I have ever played from bunkers and rough

•Not as forgiving as a big cavity back set. (Nor as homely) You will notice poorly executed shots just aren't as successful. (As you should) Well executed shots will be rewarded, big time.

•I personally love the weight distribution of Ping golf clubs. These just feel SO good in your hands. (grips notwithstanding) However, If you prefer a wedge with a lot of head weight, (I think Cleveland wedges tend to feel this way) you may not care for the feel of these clubs.

•In terms of fitting and options, I think the variety of the Glide 2.0's is phenomenal. If you can't arrive at a loft / bounce option that fits your game, you have some exacting specifications, to be sure. I'm not sure how many of you are playing a specialized shaft in your irons or wedges, but the ability to get what you want and feel comfortable with is, in my opinion, a big deal. I actually wish Ping had MORE non-standard shafts as zero cost upgrades. I'm guessing if you visit a reputable fitter in your area, you may be able to get even more shaft options than are shown on the Ping site. I'd personally love to try the KBS Wedge shaft, even as opposed to the Tour.

Appearance

Beautiful. A work of art. I love the satin finish. They look incredible in the bag. The look at address is clean, and gives you a lot of confidence. (That and the fact that you can be confident you know where this next shot will end up!) No glare, even when you've got the sun at “that angle”. I really feel like the designers outdid themselves on these wedges.

Appearance Score: (10 / 10)

Feel, Sound, Playability

The wedge graveyard at my house is reasonably large. I believe wedges are like putters: It's all a feel and confidence game. An 8-iron from the middle of the fairway isn't that big a deal. Whatever club you've got, within reason, is going to perform nearly the same as another. However, if you look down at a short game / scoring club, and you don't BELIEVE you can pull off the shot you have to pull off RIGHT NOW, you're done. These wedges give me that type of confidence. I'm sure we'll have our issues at some point; every relationship hits it's rocky points. The nice ‘click' these make when you hit the ball clean is a very pleasant thing.

IMG_4096.JPG

Wedge Penalty Box

FSP Score: (15/15)

“Gotta Have ‘em Now” Factor:

I was interested in this test opportunity because I was in the market for new wedges. However, I'm also a cheapskate. These wedges are retailing for $149. If you read my review, I think they are fantastic. However, when I can buy Callaway MD3, Mizuno S5 or Cleveland RTX-3 for $129, or Cleveland RTX 2.0 for $99 (X 3, remember!) as I stand here today I most likely would go another direction. I'm just being completely honest about how I shop and what I think about golf companies, golf marketing and the prices of NEW clubs. I love new shiny toys as much as anyone else. But, they're not much good if you can't afford to go play golf. Now, in 12 months when THESE are on sale, oh yeah, I'm gonna go get these!

“Gotta Have ‘em Now” Score: (11/15)

Stage 2 Scoring: 89 / 100

Until we meet again:

We're going to continue to game these babies, since I can still afford to play golf (Thanks, MyGolfSpy!!) including this weekend in The Bluegrass State! Hoping to add some good range video, maybe even to this Stage 2 review. (Stage 2.5??) Let's see how they wear over the next few weeks. Since they're not forged, I'm looking for no dropoff in performance, as long as we don't encounter a rock, a cart path ala Mickelson, or some other unforeseen difficulty. Keep it in the fairway, kids! If not, it'll probably be over here by my drive, and I'll look for it!!

IMG_4102.GIF

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

So, I've got a whole Summer under my belt with these three wedges now!  Still really appreciative to My Golf Spy for the chance to test (and KEEP!!!) these babies.

As noted in previous stage reviews, these are the first set I've ever had built to my "specs".  I'm convinced that having the right shaft (for me) has made a difference on full shots.  My dispersion is much smaller than with any other wedges I have ever played.

I was having trouble early in my play of these clubs for a couple different reasons:

1) It takes me a long time to get used to new or different clubs.  I'm always amazed when somebody picks up a new club (or set!) and games them well instantly.  I'm probably glad that's not me, because I'd be in the poor house (and most likely divorced) if I thought I could game a new club the same day.

2) I was playing like crap....

Since I've been playing slightly better, (hdcp same as Feb, but climbed up and back down two strokes over the Summer) I've also dialed these in a lot more, and become accustomed to them.  I was shocked that the Glide 2.0's didn't fare better in the MGS Most Wanted Wedge testing.  Obviously I haven't gamed most of the other wedges tested, but if they're better than these, go get 'em and play 'em!

I've read a few other reviews of these wedges and the one common theme is spin, as in "these spin the ball a LOT".  I can attest that they do, to the point that I have had to be very careful what ball I'm playing when around the greens.  I'm not a "one ball man" (insert pun here) by any means.  I typically play what I can afford, have found, or been given.  To me they're an important, but inevitably disposable part of the game.  So, if it's a B330, a Z-Star or a Pro-V, I need to be cognizant that a lazy chip or pitch is going to spin and not roll out unless I deloft the club and make it so.  These will even spin some of the rocks I find and play from time to time and not get them to the hole.  If you play the same ball consistently, you'll work this out easily.  I need to add degree of difficulty to my game, just to make it interesting.

I noted that my dispersion is quite good with these, and also my distances, now that I'm playing "okay" are very consistent as well.  These aren't super long, or any shorter than my previous wedges, in fact distances are about the same, except I hit my 58* about ten yards longer than my previous 58.  I purposefully had these built with a lot of bounce, partially as an experiment, as I could afford to do it and experiment, right?  They were FREE!  I'm pretty upright (2 degrees, in fact) and have had issues forever with digging too deep (laying the SOD) with wedges.  I also play primarily in the Southeast US, with normally soft conditions.  The additional bounce has definitely helped with this in my game.  If you're having issues with wedge play, try going for a wedge only fitting.  You might be amazed.  Now, I've hot a few directly in the forehead with these, but I attribute that mostly to tired, lazy swings, not the bounce of the clubs.

I noted in my Stage 2 that I probably would not have purchased these "new" because of the price.  I still feel that way, but I very rarely would buy any golf club at it's initial release.  Always less expensive to wait.  Well, now we've waited.  Prices are beginning to come down, and I would encourage you to go and buy ONE.  Get it built to your specs, and try it out.  I truly believe you'll be very happy with the performance.  After all, that's the whole idea of this site and these reviews, right?  PERFORMANCE.  I've been pretty lacking on pictures in these reviews, but I'll still attempt to update these going forward with some photos, both to emphasize my thoughts/points, but also to keep these reviews bumped toward the top of the forums.  Power to the Player!!

My real name is Brad.

aliens8mycow is a screen name that I have kept since my days working for Gateway Computers in the mid 90's. I was part of their original ‘web team' that put gateway.com on the internet, so the cow thing was just part of life in those days. I live in Liberty, MO, in the very middle of the Midwest – just north-east of Kansas City. My home course actually has cattle farms on the south and west sides of it. I was born and raised about an hour from here, so I never got far from home, and I just can't get away from these cows… or the smells that prevailing winds seem to always waft across the country club…

I want to take a moment early in this process to thank MGS and Ping for this opportunity, and to thank the entire MGS community for being like a huge online family where I feel not only welcome, but comfortable and respected. We don't always agree, we may not play for the same reasons or have the same expectations, and we come from all sorts of different backgrounds, but we all share the same passion for this game that we love.

My current handicap is hovering around 7, which has surprisingly stayed low (at least for my current standards) all winter. I play in all weather, as long as the course will let us out, so there are challenging rounds that keep my handicap a little higher than if I avoided rain, cold, wind, etc.

The strengths of my game are my iron play (ability to work the ball left/right/high/low) and my short game (average putts per round is normally 28-30, and wedge play is controlled and consistent). My iron play took a drastic increase in consistency when I finally came to terms with my average or consistent distances instead of my best distances. Once I quit trying to focus on how far I ‘could hit the ball', and began to focus on how far I ‘consistently hit the ball comfortably', my game improved a lot!

The weakness of my game seems to be mental focus. I have bad driver days, but focus seems to be a more consistent issue for me. I tend to lose focus and ‘blow up' a couple of holes at some point during each round. It seems harder to stay focused now that we have cell phones - I use it to keep score and stats, but it's always ringing for texts, emails, calls, you name it. I miss the good old days where the phone stayed connected to the wall at home, and we could disappear at the golf course for 4-5 hours with no interruptions.

I am an environmentally friendly golfer who is concerned about keeping the course clean and in good repair. I keep score on my phone instead of using a paper score card, use GPS instead of a yardage book, and carry a plastic water bottle instead of using paper or foam cups at the water station. I also enjoy doing my part to help everyone around me have an good time. I play alone quite a bit during the week, and I enjoy meeting new people and offering to join them in a round and get to know them. Weekends are time for my normal group to play together, and I also enjoy good times with those guys. I love the mental challenge mixed with the physical challenge that this game requires, and I enjoy spending time outside with nature and good friends.

I started golfing at age 16 after being urged by a close friend to do so. I grew up fairly poor, and had absolutely no means of getting everything necessary to start playing golf. My friend grew up on the local country club, and was used to a much different lifestyle than I was. His Dad overheard us talking about the idea of me trying to play golf (and my lack of financial means to get started), and told me that he had just bought new clubs for the season, and that I could use his old ones. He even offered to set me up a complete bag with woods, putter, balls, tees, etc. I was humbled by his kindness, and had no idea what all of the equipment really did, but I was excited to learn how to play.

At this point, I had no idea that it cost money to play, or that there were guidelines for what to wear, or much of anything for that matter... I showed up at their house on the following Saturday, ready to play. My friend said “you can't play in jeans and a T-shirt”. I explained that my only other option would be to play without clothes at all, and again his Dad joined the conversation.

He said “I already talked to Mike (the club pro) and had him add you to our family membership. You'll be able to play free of charge anytime that you want to - just tell them you're with my family until they get to know who you are. I would also like for you guys to go to the pro shop, and pick out a few outfits, shoes, gloves, hats, and have them put it on my tab.” I tried to tell him that I couldn't afford all of those things, and he simply said “it won't cost anything - they'll put it on my tab”.

So that led me to understand the value of “paying it forward” or “giving back to the game” as we call it now. I always try in life to do similar things for people when I have the opportunity. It still humbles me to think about my beginnings in golf, and it brings an unbelievable amount of joy to be able to pass that gift on to someone else now that I can.

Once I finally got started, my friend, his Dad, and even his Mom spent a lot of time at the course helping me learn how to play, proper etiquette, course management, etc. I'll never forget their kindness, and will always do what I can within my means to welcome, support and enable people to get started in the game.

I continued to play while I was in college, and met several good friends there thanks to golf. When I got married (and of course jobs and kids tend to complicate things), I walked away from golf completely. I played right around par at that time, but life took top priority. I'm one of those guys that either does it all, or doesn't do it. Golfing once a month is not something that I can even imagine.

I didn't start playing again until just a few years ago. It sure isn't like riding a bike - it's been a long struggle to come to terms with my older, rounder, less flexible self. But, I'm working on it, getting closer to where I left off a couple of decades ago…

My current setup:

Cobra King F6 driver 11.5* (I'm one of those short driver guys at 44.5”)

Cobra King F6 3-4 wood set to 16* loft, cut to 42.5"

Titleist 690MB irons 3-9 with DG S300 shafts ½” short

Titleist Vokey SM6 wedges ½” short, 48/08F, 54/08M, 60/04L

Scotty Cameron Putters - also short at 33” - current fav is a Circa ‘62 #1, but a Studio Design #1 and #2 are always ready to step in, and there's an old Laguna 2 around just in case... and a few others come and go… the tale of a putter ho…

Bag is a 2017 Sun Mountain C-130 and I love it.

I use Rose & Fire black italian leather head covers.

All of my clubs have all black paint fill.

I have always been a blade guy. My first set (given to me by my friend's Dad) were Wilson FG-17's, and I've never considered anything with a cavity. Cavities are for teeth! :)

I'm also not a show-off sort of guy (nothing against the guys who dress like John Daly, but it's not for me). Black head covers, black paint fill on all my clubs, I guess I'm a goth golfer?

Being a blade player, I think it gives me the ability to keep the ball low. If I'm having a bad driver day, I have no fear of the trees, and actually get a kick out of hitting a 3-iron between trees that goes screaming about knee-high for 200 yards. My swing tempo with all clubs is deliberate, with a pause at the top. My typical ball flight with all clubs is low to medium, and my normal miss is left.

My short game/wedge play is pretty consistent. I am not a flop shot guy. I normally use the 54* wedge around the green and play a fairly low pitch and run. I am not afraid to go high, but usually favor keeping it low unless there is an obstacle in the way.

I am hoping to get a new perspective with these wedges. They have some perimeter weighting and a bit more bounce than what I normally play, and I'm excited to see if that is a good or bad thing for me.

IMG_8770.PNG

Sometimes I get stuck with what works and fail to try other things that might work better.

When these arrived, I was amazed at how smooth and round they look. I'm not sure if that's the right description, but they actually look soft if that makes any sense.

IMG_8771.PNGIMG_8772.PNGIMG_8773.PNG

I went with a 50/12 that Ping WRX bent to 48/10 pitching wedge, a 54/12 sand wedge, and a 60/10 lob wedge. All have the SS sole and DG S300 shafts. Ping was also kind enough to cut these ¼” short and install their midsize wedge grips.

IMG_8768.PNGIMG_8769.PNG

I decided on the SS grind for all 3 because it seems to have enough meat to give me the bounce that I'm wanting to try, yet enough relief to give me some options. I was impressed that Ping ships in a discreet box that doesn't scream “steal me” on your front porch, and the little booties on the club heads were a nice touch.

Another initial observation is the finish. It's almost tacky. Maybe because of the milling that runs across the entire clubface? I have a feeling that these will spin the ball very well. The dull finish seems odd to me (only because of my old-school 690MB's being chrome), but it looks sort of futuristic for sure. These might have a little higher toe than my Vokeys, but overall a very similar shape and similar leading edge.

IMG_8774.PNG

I was also happy to see that the offset is minimal, and at address these wedges have a very nice flow and look comfortable to me.

I am ready to get these guys on the course and see how they work!

Notes from the range:

I found all measurable results to be very consistent and very much on par with what I am used to. Distances were similar on full, ¾, and ½ swings.  Even miss-hits were surprisingly close to the same yardages.

I haven't played cavity back or GI clubs much (aside from trying a friend's clubs once in a while). That being said, these are honestly the most forgiving clubs that I've ever hit a ball with. 

I was pleasantly surprised that I was still able to curve the ball both ways with ease.  At first I was worried that these would try to 'fix' a curve ball, but they actually gave me plenty of confidence that I could move the ball any way that I wanted to.  They are also ‘player' enough that I didn't have trouble keeping the ball down – trajectory control was comfortable.

Range Score:  10/10

Notes from the course:

My first few outings with these wedges occurred after it had been raining for 4 days straight.  It was very soft and sloppy on the course.  I have several initial reactions after playing in the slop:

They not only look ‘soft', but they feel soft at impact.  On full swings, they are like butter.  The little bit of perimeter weighting sure makes a difference – I'm used to that butter feel in an area the size of a nickel – these guys seem to have a huge butter ball!

The finish really is tacky!  The downside to this is that it's difficult to wipe the things off after a shot - my microfiber towels felt like velcro on the face of these things!  I assumed that the tacky feel would really increase control on the greens, but I could not get these to put the zip on the ball that my Vokeys do.

I really like to put the ball back in my stance and use the 54* to do little ‘dead toe' chips from near the green.  With my Vokeys, I can expect the ball to feel dead off the toe, come out low, check, and roll out toward the pin.  With the Pings, they still feel soft out at the toe, and have no such thing as a ‘dead toe' feel.  In fact, the ball comes hot off the toe much like it would dead center.  Very frustrating for me, as I need to adjust my game to suit these wedges near the green.  I feel like these have so much tech built in to fix mis-hits that it's hard to pull off intentional mis-hits!  Some of the grab may also be due to the micro grooves being milled across the entire face?

My worry for a potential buyer would be how long the micro grooves last, and if you're like me, they tend to inhibit those toe shots enough that it's a definite negative.  I do have several playing buddies that would love these.  Guys that normally play a very short yet normal swing around the greens, and guys who are currently gaming and accustomed to cavity back irons would more than likely love these.

Forgiveness is definitely a thing.  Anything close to center of the face, and there isn't a noticeable difference in result.  And they have yet to rattle me all the way to my shoulders even on a severe miss-hit in cold weather.

In muddy conditions, it was quickly obvious that the higher bounce was great.  With my old wedges, I would have to be very careful to make a clean strike when it was muddy.  With these wedges, I quickly grew very comfortable just letting it rip.

These would also good for someone who struggles in the sand.  Being used to a lower bounce, it was immediately noticeable that these help with sand interaction - a lot.

As I played in drier conditions, the bounce began to plague me a bit.  On a hardpan lie, I had to make some adjustments at setup just to get under the ball.  With my lower bounce wedges, I've never had much issue with this.  Again, this is nothing against these particular wedges – just a comparison between these and what I am accustomed to.

Aside from the micro-grooves on the toe, my only real issue with these is the grip.  The size is right, but these have a ‘reminder' or ‘rib' down the back, and I just don't like it.  I do a lot of open face and hooded face shots, and the rib just makes things… awkward.  These sort of grips have been available for years, so I assume people like them…  Another confession about the grip – I'm a feel player for sure, and although they have all sorts of markings to help choke down to the right spot, I never once looked at the markings during play.  Obviously the grip is a minor thing, and if I had bought these to use daily, I would have re-gripped with a grip that matches my other clubs anyway.

Overall, a lot more positive than negative here.  I'm not ready to put these in the bag, but I can think of a lot of guys who would.  In fact, I am wondering if the iBlades have the same soft feel…  I know I keep repeating the word ‘soft' a lot.  The only way I can compare is that my Vokeys feel like a European supermodel – skinny, sleek, beautiful, and will break your heart in a second.  These Glide 2.0 wedges feel more like a Midwest farmer's daughter – thick, soft and sweet, and will still love you after you do something stupid.

On Course Score:  36/40

Notes on looks:

These inspire confidence at address.  High toe, classic shape… and the heavy-ish topline is not noticeable as you stand over the ball.  Low offset, and I think there is some creative shaping at the base of the hosel to help the offset appear to be even less.

These don't have a lot of weird colors or graphics, which I like.  Very simple.  Modern looking would be a good description.  Having all of the specs stamped on them is nice – loft, bounce, grind are all there.

I think that these wedges look as good as anything on the market.  The matte finish is sleek, and they just have a soft, round sexiness that is hard to describe.

My concern is the long-term durability of the finish.  It seemed to start showing wear after several rounds.  Maybe this is normal – I'm used to chrome, which will show bag chatter, but these are just showing all sorts of scuffs on the finish that I didn't expect to see so soon.

Looks score:  12/15

Notes on Sound and feel:

These wedges have a really good, solid feel.  Yet...  they feel soft to the touch, and soft at impact.  Very soft even on miss-hits.  These wedges really show their stuff in the mud and sand.  The confidence that I had in bad conditions was addictive.

My only complaint would be due to my life-long obsession with blades – the consistent feel across the face might be detrimental to my game – I have learned to rely on that feedback to keep myself in check!

Sound and feel score:  14/15

Likelihood of purchase:

These should be near the top of the shopping list for everyone.  I have been partial to a more ‘old school' club all of my life, and therefore overlooked Ping because they have more tech, perimeter weighting, etc.  These clubs have proven to me that I shouldn't be afraid of those things.  If I ever decided to go with a set of irons like the iBlade, these would be the wedges to match.

That being said, I have not gotten to the point where I'm willing to take that step.  I guess I still like to make things as difficult as possible (or maybe I'm just hard headed).

For anyone looking for a wedge that can do it all, yet allow you to look good on your not-so-good days, these are worth a shot!

Likelihood of purchase score:  18/20

Conclusion:

These wedges are solid - a definite must try for anyone in the market.  Soft feel, forgiving, confidence inspiring, consistent.  And they just look so sexy!  What more could you ask for? 

My very few concerns center around durability.  How long will the micro grooves affect spin, and how long does this finish last before looking ‘rough'?  Finish doesn't matter to some folks, but performance needs to last.  If these lose their magic in a few months, that is a bad result in my book.  If you are the guy that has new wedges every season or even twice a season, that may not be a factor anyway.

If you are a full swing/partial swing wedge player who enjoys a little ‘room for error' and doesn't try to ‘get too cute' around the greens, give the Ping Glide 2.0's a look!

Total Score:  90/100

DSC_0185.JPG

Stage One - Introduction & Interview Thread with Q&A Section with MmmmmmBuddy!!!

IMG_0478.JPG

The Questions

Handicap/average score? -  Current index is 9.6. I tell people that I drive it like a 1 and have the short game of a 20, so this averages out to a 9.6..

Strengths of your game?- Driving the golf ball and course management. I still hit the ball pretty good with the driver for someone of my age and build. I am a 47 year old 5’ 9” creaky old guy.  My last round, I hit 14/14 fairways, and averaged 282 off of the tee. (still shot 84)

IMG_0656.JPG

Weakness of your game?- Any club that is not a driver. Really though, it’s putting and wedges. If I can ever sort them out, I might still be good at this game.

DSC_0194.JPG

Typical ball flight? My standard ball flight with full swing wedges is HIGH. I cannot hit that cool, low, spinning wedge. Can’t do it. I have been trying to learn it for years. Not in the arsenal.  All of my standard wedge shots are high and with not much spin..  It’s what I do, and I have learned to live with it.

Typical miss?- When I miss a wedge, I typically miss it high/right. Off of the toe. Comes up 15 yards shorts, and either in the bunker or the water hazard. I know that this is caused by a swing “issue” and am working “diligently” to rectify it..

Current comparable equipment?- My current wands are a mixture of old and new. I have 2 sets of irons that I will rotate, depending on how I am feeling, so I will change wedges based on the set and the course conditions.

My go to wedge setup is:

• 46° and 50° SCOR wedges with GENIUS Steel shafts -.25 inches and standard lie.

• 56° Cleveland 900 series RTG bent to 54° std length TTDG S200

• 60° Cleveland 588 Gunmetal bent to 58° matching shaft, length and lie.

I find that the 4° gaps help me fill all of the yardages that I need to fill inside of 120 yards. I rarely hit full shots with the 58°, as I find the distance control to be difficult to master.

DSC_0186.JPG

Swing tempo?- I am routinely described as having the “Best Swing in the Shop” I quickly follow that up with “It’s pretty but ineffective”.  You be the judge.

https://youtu.be/jov6UlUW7ws

·          

Driver swing speed?- My driver Swing Speed fluctuates with the seasons. In the summer, when I play more, and the weather is warmer, I can still move the thing around 105mph and develop a driver ball speed of around 155-158. (Best part of my game). Out here in the Pacific Northwest, we get to play all year, but what we play in the winter barely passes as golf. The ground is so wet and muddy, that it requires a completely different type of shot for most situations.  There is no such thing as “Roll””. Every shot plugs. What you can carry is what you get. I tend to think that this is why I like to hit the ball so high.

What makes you love the game?- I love the walk. I love being outside in the air for hours at a time. I love the feeling of hitting it pure. I love planning a shot and pulling it off. I love it that no matter how long I play, or how much I practice, I can ALWAYS be better.

How long have you been golfing? For those of you who are unfamiliar with me, I have been involved with golf in some capacity since 1986. I have been playing since I watched an old man win the Masters that April. I vividly remember this because I thought that it was cool that the guy that came from way back and won this tournament had a name that sounded a little like mine. I decided to ask my neighbor to take me along the next time he went to play. We went the next weekend.  I remember hitting ONE perfect shot that first day, (175 yard 4 wood) and I was HOOKED…

·         What kind of golfer are you? I am the guy that when we get done with our round, you will think I shot 75, but the card will read 91. I can make a bad round look good in a hurry.

·         What’s your story- I started working at golf courses in college, and I am still in the business today. I work for one of the largest independently owned golf retail stores in the US. I have been lucky enough to find a home here for the past 14 years. If anyone has questions about what it’s like to work in the industry for that long, or anything else, please let me know!!  

IMG_0540.JPG

When I had spare time in my life about 18-20 years ago, I played nearly 200 rounds a year, and was a decent player. I could scrape it around in near par on most tracks from the back tees.. Today is another story. I don’t have the time to dedicate to golf like I used to, so my scoring abilities have suffered. I drive the ball better than I ever have, but I struggle mightily with the short stick, and have bouts of resentment with my wedges. Some days, they rescue me from places that no human has ever been before, and on others, it’s as if I picked up golf last week…  When my wedges and putter cooperate, I can still be dangerous out on the links. I like to think that I am the best 9.6 index walking around IF I can get the wedges and putter going…

Growing up, I didn’t play golf. Golf wasn’t popular or cool in the late 70’s and early 80’s in Eugene Oregon. No one in my family played, so I was not exposed to golf until a buddy from the High School track team took me after I asked about it following the ‘86 Masters. I was a fairly competitive track athlete in High School, but not quite good enough (Devoted Enough) to make it in D1. I needed to find an outlet for that fire, and golf was it. I played all the time from 1989 on. I read everything, watched as much golf as I could stand, and hung out at the course. I was obsessed.  

·          

·         What is in your bag?- What I carry depends on the course and my mood. I am playing a 7 year old TaylorMade Driver, a 10 year old Exotics Fairway, and an eclectic mixture of Irons and Hybrids. For a complete rundown, see my signature.

IMG_0705.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG

·         How did you choose them?- I play what works best for me. Always have, and always will.

IMG_0707.JPG

·         What region do you play out of?- I live and play in the Pacific Northwest. It rains here. A LOT. Don’t move here unless you like the rain.

IMG_0704.JPG

·         Describe your short game- It’s a mess. There is no consistency from day to day, or shot to shot. I have played for long enough that I know how to execute several different types of shots from around the greens, but I cannot seem to pull them off with any regularity. I always seem to default to the “Chunk and Run” for most pitch shots if it is available.

·         How is your wedge play currently?- I cannot consistently count on my wedges. This is a terrible feeling. Some days I can play with some modicum of consistency. Other days, I look like a rank beginner. I am dying for some type of consistency.

·         What are you hoping to get out of the wedges?- I would love some consistency and confidence.

DSC_0199.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Stage 2 Placeholder

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Stage 3 Placeholder

Stage 1 Placeholder

Exit 182?  Not too far from my Exit on I5...

Exit 182?  Not too far from my Exit on I5...

Cool!  My dad is from Springfield...mom grew up in Burns; dad now lives in Junction City and mom is in eastern OR.

We lived in Harrisburg when I was in grade school, tried Beaverton for a year and realized we're more "small town" so moved back to Creswell.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Phenominal Stage 1 Stroker.   I feel like we're life long friends now.!!   and that has to be the first time a Madonna or Pamela Anderson reference has been dropped in a review!  Nicely done!!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Cool!  My dad is from Springfield...mom grew up in Burns; dad now lives in Junction City and mom is in eastern OR.

We lived in Harrisburg when I was in grade school, tried Beaverton for a year and realized we're more "small town" so moved back to Creswell.

Mmm.. The degrees of separation are getting closer and closer. I currently live in Springtucky, Work almost in Junk City, and LOVE LOVE LOVE it out in Burns and the surrounding areas.  

Phenominal Stage 1 Stroker.   I feel like we're life long friends now.!!   and that has to be the first time a Madonna or Pamela Anderson reference has been dropped in a review!  Nicely done!!

Thanks bud!  EXACTLY what I was going for.  I feel like everyone on here is a "life long friend" and I'd love to play a round with anyone.

Funny... as soon as I thought about what I wanted from the wedges Ms. Ciccone and Anderson were the first 2 things that came to mind!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Mmm.. The degrees of separation are getting closer and closer. I currently live in Springtucky, Work almost in Junk City, and LOVE LOVE LOVE it out in Burns and the surrounding areas.  

whoa!  you're right this getting close.  :D

You must've played Tokatee - yes?  One of my fav courses in the area.  Played a couple courses in Bend and my dad and I played Bandon when it first opened.  I remember hitting a 9 iron on a hole and it went about 40 yards cause the wind grabbed it!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

whoa!  you're right this getting close.  :D

You must've played Tokatee - yes?  One of my fav courses in the area.  Played a couple courses in Bend and my dad and I played Bandon when it first opened.  I remember hitting a 9 iron on a hole and it went about 40 yards cause the wind grabbed it!

I try to play Tokatee a few times a year.  One of the best Golf experiences in the state.  Dan and the guys make it fun and welcoming every time.  Recommended and well worth the trip.  I think that I have played just about every course in the area, with the exception of some private and some smaller courses.  (I've been at this awhile) 

Stroker,

Great job! That is going to be one tough act to follow! 

First and foremost, thank you for your service. I have family and friends who are veterans and I have more respect for those people than I can explain. Thank you!

I can't wait to see how these work out for you. Going to be an interesting testing period. You should try to get some video of you in a bunker with the old gamers and the new Ping's to show if there is any difference.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Stroker,

Great job! That is going to be one tough act to follow! 

First and foremost, thank you for your service. I have family and friends who are veterans and I have more respect for those people than I can explain. Thank you!

I can't wait to see how these work out for you. Going to be an interesting testing period. You should try to get some video of you in a bunker with the old gamers and the new Ping's to show if there is any difference.

Thanks Shawn.  Great idea on the bunker.  I'll do my best to make it happen.

Snow is finally melting and I think we've turned the corner and are on to spring.  Can't wait to get out!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Thanks Shawn.  Great idea on the bunker.  I'll do my best to make it happen.

Snow is finally melting and I think we've turned the corner and are on to spring.  Can't wait to get out!

I am with you there! Hoping I can golf this coming weekend... We shall see!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Stroker-great start!

Curious on how you decided on what sole/grind types to order since there are a few options. Research only or did you get to try them out first somewhere?

I like the looks of these. I played a pair of ping iwedges for awhile and liked them--the sole of your 58 looks like them. I tried and almost ended up buying the original glides but ended up getting something else, they were a close second though.

Also fun that you grew up in Oregon. I have lived in two cities adjacent to ones you lived in-Corvallis and Tigard.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Stroker-great start!

Curious on how you decided on what sole/grind types to order since there are a few options. Research only or did you get to try them out first somewhere?

I like the looks of these. I played a pair of ping iwedges for awhile and liked them--the sole of your 58 looks like them. I tried and almost ended up buying the original glides but ended up getting something else, they were a close second though.

Also fun that you grew up in Oregon. I have lived in two cities adjacent to ones you lived in-Corvallis and Tigard.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Thanks Jiro!

I didn't get a chance to try out the wedges; I did some research, used the online fitting tool and compared my current wedges to what was online to come up with the grinds.  Funny you should mention the iwedges; there were a couple of reviews I read that compared them to the older wedges.

Corvallis - nice!  my gf when I was in high school went to OSU and I spent some time there with her.

Tigard - Portland has a lot of suburbs!  I probably went through Tigard at some point.  :)

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

attachicon.gifIMG_3946.JPG

How in the World am I supposed to follow that?!? Madonna and Pamela Anderson, really? I like to think I'm witty. I've got nothing for strokerAce, LOLZ. So, anyway, here goes: I'm a wanna be Spy, but apparently I'm no Ace.

attachicon.gifIMG_3739.JPG

I also am really excited for The opportunity to test these wedges! I have been in the market, and these were high on my list. I played Ping clubs and wedges many many years ago, and sometimes I wonder why I ever strayed from the fold.

attachicon.gifIMG_3948.JPG

A little about me, my game, and my experiences in golf.

Handicap? GHIN Index: 13.8

Strengths of your game? Good driver of the ball, decent iron player, good to better than average putter.

Weakness of your game? Greenside sand; soft conditions (which I play in a lot); medium length pitches (1/2 and 3/4 swings)

Typical ball flight? High with slight fade.

Typical miss? With a wedge, either fat or a pull. (Over the top, much?)

Current comparable equipment? I have a stable of wedges: Cleveland, Vokey, currently gaming Mizuno JPX.

Swing tempo? Medium, but with a pretty strong transition at the top.

Driver swing speed? 103-105 mph measured at Bridgestone's facility last year.

What makes you love the game? Camaraderie, being outdoors, competing against the golf course and/or my opponent.

How long have you been golfing? Played my first round on “senior skip day” in high school; 1981.

What kind of golfer are you? Competitive, lousy, optimistic. Always think I can pull it off, even when I shouldn't.

What's your story? Never played golf growing up. Knew of it, of course, but played the traditional, baseball, basketball, football. Became way more interested in playing golf while home summers in college, and have gradually replaced all my other sporting loves with golf over the years. I've played the gamut of league golf, outing golf, “fun” tournament golf, and serious tournament golf. I've also worked as a committee member on a PGA Champions Tour event in Michigan. As such, I've walked inside the ropes with a few names you've probably heard: Trevino, Player, Watson, Rodriguez (Chi Chi), & The King himself, Mr. Palmer. I even met my wife while working on the tournament!

I had attended the US Open at Oakland Hills in 1985 with some friends, but working on a tournament from the inside really got me interested in tournament golf. My brother in law, in fact, left our tournament and worked on the Toshiba Classic on the Senior Tour for five years in CA. I never quite caught that bug, but have attended a lot of the big PGA Tour events. (US Opens, PGA, Masters, Tour Championship, Ryder Cup.) To see the pros in person , under that type of pressure, is an amazing thing. From the shots they hit, to the shots they ATTEMPT, it's a different world. So to say I'm hooked on this game would be an understatement.

What is in my bag?

Bridgestone JGR 9.5* Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

Callaway RazrFit Xtreme 3W Ozik Matrix HD Radix 4x

Cleveland 588 20.5* Hybrid Ozik Black Tie HM3 95x

Callaway XHOT 22* 4 Hybrid Callaway Project X Hot Stiff

Mizuno JPX-825 (4i - PW) KBS Tour 130x

Ping Glide 2.0 Wedges, 50, 54, 58 KBS Tour 130x

(Previously Mizuno JPX-825 50* G Wedge and JPX 54* / 58* Wedges)

Mati MAMO putter 33" Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0

Bridgestone Tour B330-RX Ball

How did you choose them? I've been fit for everything in the bag, save the Hybrids and the putter. (I won the Mati in a MGS contest!!)

What region do you play out of? I live in the Southeast, specifically in the Upstate portion of South Carolina, between Greenville and Clemson. I travel often for work, however, and play a lot of golf in TX, as well as throughout the Southeast and the Midwest. (I have kind of a LARGE territory, LOLZ. In fact, I'm editing this in Houston.)

Describe your short game: Historically I have been a very good short game player, except for greenside sand. Some days I'm good to above average out of the bunkers, but more often I'm far below average in that portion of the game. Otherwise, while I'm no Phil Mickelson, I do have a good imagination and can often times execute the shot that is required, or manufacture one.

How is your wedge play currently?

I changed wedges in the Summer of 2014 when I purchased my Mizuno JPX-825 irons. I had been playing an older set of Callaway wedges (X-14), and realized that even though I had had a lot of success with them, they really weren't the right fit for me. I had adapted my game and swing to them, not the other way around. I had been playing those Callaway X-14 wedges and irons since 2000, and I was VERY used to them. I actually struggled a lot with the Cleveland wedges, as they were significantly different than my old set. Fit for me, yes, but still a long adjustment period.

What are you hoping to get out of the Ping Glide 2.0 wedges?

I play a lot of golf in soft conditions. Many courses in the Southeast US are pretty soft. I've experimented with some different wedge bounces, and I'm hopeful that with the bounce I've got in these wedges (12, 12, 14) combined with my swing, (and the fact that they're more upright than my current wedges) I'll eliminate one of my bad misses, which is hitting the shot fat. Also, with what I believe to be the proper shaft, I'm confident my distance control will be better and my shot dispersion on full swings will be much tighter. This has been a big problem with the Mizuno wedges in my bag, but I've been too cheap or too scared to replace them, until this opportunity came along.

Stroker did a great job showing photos of the packaging, but I do have a couple items to add:

attachicon.gifIMG_1433.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3941.JPG

The box is very nondescript. We all love a cool box that has logos all over it. However when it has to sit outside on your porch or next to your garage door, the fact that this box says virtually nothing about what is inside in my opinion is a great thing! This box will not draw nefarious attention to your brand-new clubs!

attachicon.gifIMG_3943.JPG

I also thought that the shipping booties were very cool! I had never seen anything quite like that installed on a club in the box before. Usually it's a little bubble wrap and a rubber band. This makes me think that Ping feels these clubs are very special! I also wonder if I shouldn't go get some little neoprene sleeves for my new wedges. (No, I will not!)

The clubs themselves are beautiful. I think it has been to the detriment of Ping in the past that sometimes their clubs looked a little flat. They weren't shiny, they weren't ornamental, they were just great clubs. However, we know that shiny and ornamental often sells. These wedges are a work of art.

Since I already feel pretty confident that I am going to be writing a very positive Stage 2 review, and you are ALL going to want these wedges, a little word about grips: I assume that many of us realize that Ping has a color coding system to determine the lie of the golf club that's fit to your swing. However, I guess even though I played Pings in the past I was unaware that they also had a color coding system for grips. :huh: Either I had forgotten, never knew, or this has changed since 1990. In any case, I thought I was actually going to get GOLD grips on my Ping wedges... Thankfully the "gold" code is only 1/32" over standard. I hardly notice at all. Thank goodness I didn't decide I wanted ORANGE! I would have been using my hook blade knife to cut more than the tape on the delivery box!

attachicon.gifIMG_3944.JPG

The grips are awesome, and I'll have a LOT more to say about them in Stage 2. I have a lot of swings in the books with these already, including 18 holes today! Here's a sneak preview of coming attractions:

attachicon.gifIMG_3954.JPG

Way to go man!  Great job.... I really liked the section on what you expect; sounds like you have some very specific things you are looking for.

Your backstory is very cool!  Can't believe you've been able to go to all of those tournaments and work "on the inside"!  What a great experience.

The part on the grips is hilarious!  Can you imagine if you ended up with gold or orange colored grips???  :lol:

I thought you did a very nice technical review (probably more of what they are looking for) and I did an "alternative" non-technical, outside-of-the-box review.  A good mixture!

Can't wait to see what aliens has in store!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

MGoBlue100's Stage 1 is up...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Great start guys! MGoBlue, you do need to figure out a way to post a few pics of hot chicks in your reviews though. Haha. I actually switched to the glide 2.0 sand wedge (56*) recently and I'm interested to hear all of your perspectives on the performance. I'll just say, I do get some great spin numbers from them.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Archived