Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER TESTING - PING GLIDE WEDGES

JBones

Great reads all around!

Looking forward to the Oregon guys pt 2, we are all neighbors.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Great reads all around!

Looking forward to the Oregon guys pt 2, we are all neighbors.

Here's to hoping that you got outside this weekend!  I spent all weekend at the Eugene Marathon...   No golf for me. :angry:

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Great first impressions guys! I love the color of the matte steel.

Newer guys, don't worry about the length of intros, background info is always good and I personally like the stories versus just here's the wedge and what I think

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Great first impressions guys! I love the color of the matte steel.

Newer guys, don't worry about the length of intros, background info is always good and I personally like the stories versus just here's the wedge and what I think

Great point Casey! Length becomes irrelevant if you tell a great story...

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Stroker--semi-off-topic but what are your thoughts on the transition between your single length irons to the regular length wedges since you end up with a sudden jump in length. Probably not as big of a deal if one primarily uses wedges using a partial swing but still interested in your thoughts.

Hey Jiro...sorry for the delay in responding; family in town the last couple of days so I haven't had much time.

My single length irons are built to 37" and I just checked the specs on the Ping site and it says that the wedges are 35.5".  I didn't notice much of a difference between the wedges and the single length irons.

It's kind of funny you asked that question though.  I was playing yesterday and had a shot to an uphill pin from about 105 in thick rough and I was debating between the 50 degree and pitching wedge; I brought both clubs with me and swung them both.  I did notice from the swingweight, grip, etc. when I was swinging the 50 vs. the pitching wedge but the length of the club didn't feel drastically different.

By the way - I used the Pitch instead of the 50 and left myself a tough up and down over the back of the green... should have used the 50 !!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Great write up!!!

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

If you're watching the Players check out oosthuizen...he's using the Glide 2.0 wedges and JMiller has mentioned the amount of spin he's getting multiple times. He's stuck a bunch in nice and tight!

Sent from my LG-D851 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Had my first so-so experience with these yesterday.  Hopefully I was just off my game a bit but I found I wasn't getting the same distance as I had been and hit some chips a bit thin.

I'll get many more chances to "right the ship" and will try to provide frequent updates.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Initial Range Thoughts - Day 1:

These are my “Out of the box, oh boy these are pretty, I'm SO HAPPY!, let's go to the range” initial thoughts. We'll see how accurate they were/are after a few weeks, rounds, thins, fats & F&@%$!!

•Seem incredibly accurate! Very easy to hit exactly at the target.

•Cuts through the turf very nicely, hit a couple thin shots, but that is not unusual for me.

•Experimented a little bit with the Dyla-Wedge Grip. I think it will be fairly easy after a little bit of practice to determine what my yardages would be when choking down to either of the two markings on the grip.

•Hit a few full shots with each, just to get the basic yardages down. Then experimented with hitting to different targets with different wedges, in order to see how easy or difficult it would be to adjust or adapt on the fly. Seems very simple at this point to dial back a little bit softer/shorter shot with any of the three wedges.

•Hit about 20 bunker shots, primarily with the 58°. That is the club I typically use in the greenside sand. Bunker was not in very good shape, but the club did seem to cut through the sand very well and the ball appeared to have quite a bit of spin coming out.

Shank's bunker…

So, for those who aren't aware, I practice at a range called “Shanks's”. You can't make this stuff up. If any of you were fans of “The Big Break” on The Golf Channel, Shank's (there are actually two locations) is owned by a Big Breaker who was quite a fan favorite: Robbie Biershenk, aka: Shank. He's an awesome guy, and he runs the only range I've ever been to where a US Amatuer champ might be found behind the counter. (Chris Patton is a local guy, a good friend of Robbie's, and he's hanging around once in a while.)

In any case, the practice bunker is certainly not up to a USGA event standards. That said, if I can play these balls out of this thing, a decent bunker on a golf course should be a piece of cake, eh?

So after a good hour plus at Shank's, I already have more confidence in these wedges that I have in the last couple sets that I've had in my bag. (Cleveland CG15, Mizuno JPX) my shot dispersion on full swings is much tighter with these clubs, I believe it is a combination of the face, the head with the proper (for me) bounce, and the proper shaft flex for me in these wedges. Let's get these out to the course!

Stage 2:

So, a few weeks have passed. I've got a few more range sessions, five stroke play and one scramble round in the books with these babies. Here's my thoughts: (Apologies, Shankster. I kind of stole your format. Imitation & flattery, you know…)

Let's review: I decided on a 50/12 SS grind, a 54/12 SS grind, and a 58/14 WS grind. I wanted a lot of bounce, as I play in a lot of soft conditions, and I'm a pretty steep swinger of the golf club. All are Green dot, (2.25 deg upright) with KBS Tour 130X shafts. This matches my current Mizuno JPX-825 irons as closely as possible.

attachicon.gifSS Grind.jpg

SS Grind

attachicon.gifWS Grind.jpg

WS Grind

attachicon.gifIMG_4100.JPG

Accuracy/Control

•Full shots: Extremely accurate. This really reinforces what I felt at the range the very first day. I actually have been playing pretty poorly the last few weeks, but I've very cognizant with alignment and ball position with these clubs. (Maybe I should try that with the rest in the bag.) I play a slight fade to a very straight ball off the wedges. The accuracy and dispersion of these clubs is stellar. I'm really a fan. I haven't made the attempt, and I don't really have the shots (re: talent) to try anyway, but my feeling is that you could hit any type of curvature you wished with these clubs.

attachicon.gifIMG_3954.JPG

•Pitch shots: I can really flight these anyway I please from about 40 yards and in. I have enough swings in at this point that either playing at the range, or in an actual round, I've hit a wide variety of shots to targets at pretty close range. I've used and had to use each and every one for a differing variety of shots. I've kind of settled on the 50/12 SS for pitching a running. I was using my Mizuno JPX 54/10 for these shots previously. I'm able to land the ball with the Glide pretty accurately where I want to, and let it run out to the hole. I've been very pleased. As I said, I've been playing poorly, hence missing a lot of greens. Great for testing wedges; terrible for one's handicap in the long run.

The 54/12 SS is kind of my “general purpose” wedge. Again, I can knock it down, or open it up and hit some really soft shots. We all get short sided, and sometimes the lob just isn't the right choice. The 54 isn't anything super special, but it's a really good club.

The 58/14 is a special club, however. I have a TON of confidence with this club already. Really feel like I can put the ball on a dime around the green surface. I've purposefully been playing a lot of different ball types; B330-RX, Q Star, Duo, Diablo Tour, even Slazenger and (gasp) Top Flight. From close in, the 58 makes them all react pretty decently. Obviously you can do a lot more with a high spin urethane ball, but even if that's not your gamer, these wedges can improve your golf ball's performance around the green.

•Flop Shots: Phil Mickelson I am not. (In fact, as I have noted previously, more like Tim Herron.) However, I can flip the 54 pretty well, and I can really launch the 58! The one thing I have not done with these (yet…) is hit one right in the forehead while attempting the high soft, or high hard shot. These Glides cut through the grass very well.

•Bunker shots: Much like the flops, these (primarily the 58) are great in the bunker. Tons of spin, cuts through all the types of sand (dirt, mud) I've encountered so far. As noted, I've been playing a lot of golf balls on purpose to get some idea if you HAD to play a premium ball to get premium performance out of these clubs. I would at this point say “No.” Will you get superior performance from a superior ball? I think we all know the answer is yes. But, if you play a $15-19/dz surlyn golf ball, you will see much improved performance on full shots and around the greens, including bunkers, with these wedges in my opinion.

Distance

I initially struggled on the range with exactly how far I was hitting these wedges. I'm not one who typically believes the flags and markers at the range. I recently added a laser range finder to the arsenal, (Thanks MyGolfSpy testing!!) and I'm still in the process of making certain I'm 100% dialed in with these distances. That said, one thing I have noticed is that the distances are consistent. I was having some issues with my JPX wedges from a dispersion and constant distance standpoint. The Ping Glide 2.0's are spot on!

If it helps with analysis, my driver swing speed, measured a year ago, is 103 mph. I was fitted for my irons three summers ago, and I just don't remember my 6-iron clubhead speed. I carry that club about 170 yds, however. I'm fairly certain that I'm hitting the 50 deg 110 yds, the 54 100 yds, and the 58 approximately 85 yds, based on on course play. I'll have these dialed in by the Stage 3 review.

Trajectory

I hit the ball high. Always. I tested and still work pretty diligently with the DST Compressor, and I still flight the ball high. I'm certain it's cause and effect of my upright (steep) swing. But, it's mine, and I own it and am used to it.

The trajectory on my full shots is about what I expected. I really haven't attempted to flight the ball down, because it's not my forte. That said, as with draws and bigger fades, I believe they're in these clubs if you have that type of ball control.

Forgiveness

These are not big, cavity back super game improvement clubs. They do take a little bit of skill to execute a proper shot. I've already hit a fair amount of toe and heel shots with these, and you will see the adverse effect of doing so, more than you might with some other clubs available in the marketplace. If in your heart of hearts, you think you want or need a lot of offset, even in your wedges, these probably aren't going to be right for you. I've looked at them once or twice, when it's going sideways, and secretly wished for a little more. Just for a fleeting moment, because I've been sucking for three consecutive holes. However, a reasonably well struck ball will yield better than average results, lots of spin, (LOTS!!) and a shorter putt.

attachicon.gifIMG_3955.JPG

Turf Eaters

Range Score: (19 / 20)

On Course Performance:

I've played five 18 hole rounds and a scramble.

My first round was on a business trip in Texas. I noted that I play a lot in soft conditions, and so wanted a ton of bounce. This course was rock hard & super firm. (Of course it was, LOL) That said, I missed a few greens, and had a lot of opportunities to get up and down. The wedges performed as they had on the range. I short sided myself in a pretty decent bunker on 18. Took a nice swing with the 58, and had about two and a half feet to save par. I of course missed it. Should have putted with the 58 as well...

I've played in a few different locales in the Southeast, and so have played in different grasses, different sand conditions and types and really in different stages of season and growth. These are my thoughts afterwards:

Where these wedges excel:

•In the sand. These are almost certainly the best wedges I have ever played in a bunker. I don't actually know that I have hit the 50, but I have played some long shots with the 54, and several around greens with the 58. Soft sand, firm sand, dry wet, dirt. If you make a proper swing, you will be dazzled by these clubs from the sand.

•In the rough. Much like the bunkers, these clubs will Glide (see what I did there?) through heavy thick wet grass. I actually mishit a couple early shots with the 50, assuming that the grass would catch the club, the hosel, etc. After smoking not one but two shots over greens, I realized that the design of this club somehow really assists with these types of shots. I'm sure that groove design and the fact that they are brand new grooves has a major effect, but this clubhead design also seems to create minimal resistance in the deep stuff.

Where these wedges are simply better than average:

•From the fairway. Don't get me wrong. They're really really good. But, every proper wedge today is good from the fairway. As I noted earlier, dispersion, control and consistent distance are all fantastic with these clubs. The ball does spin, there is no doubt there. I really believe that Ping did a great thing with the addition of the extra grooves at the bottom of the club. As I noted, I used everything from a tour quality ball to a rock I found under a bush, and they all performed well, as far as I was concerned. However, If I had brand new wedges that didn't perform well from the middle of the fairway, I'd take them back.

Where these wedges are not as good as others:

•The Dyla-wedge grip. I suppose it's nitpicking, but I'm not a fan. I thought initially I was going to LOVE this grip. I like the concept, but I have two issues with the grip. 1) When I grip down using the markings, it seems like I have to stoop over, and it's a very mechanical feel. That's just not the type of player I am or try to be. I've hit the only “bad” shots so far while trying to grip down using the markings.

2) It's just not as tacky as I like my grip. They came out of the box kind of weird feeling to me, and I haven't really been able to shake the fact that I subconsciously want to grip the club harder because I don't feel that the grip is right for me. They're still on all three clubs, but I'm not sure how long they're going to last.

attachicon.gifIMG_3958.JPG

Course Score: (34 / 40)

Notes

•Best wedges I have ever played from bunkers and rough

•Not as forgiving as a big cavity back set. (Nor as homely) You will notice poorly executed shots just aren't as successful. (As you should) Well executed shots will be rewarded, big time.

•I personally love the weight distribution of Ping golf clubs. These just feel SO good in your hands. (grips notwithstanding) However, If you prefer a wedge with a lot of head weight, (I think Cleveland wedges tend to feel this way) you may not care for the feel of these clubs.

•In terms of fitting and options, I think the variety of the Glide 2.0's is phenomenal. If you can't arrive at a loft / bounce option that fits your game, you have some exacting specifications, to be sure. I'm not sure how many of you are playing a specialized shaft in your irons or wedges, but the ability to get what you want and feel comfortable with is, in my opinion, a big deal. I actually wish Ping had MORE non-standard shafts as zero cost upgrades. I'm guessing if you visit a reputable fitter in your area, you may be able to get even more shaft options than are shown on the Ping site. I'd personally love to try the KBS Wedge shaft, even as opposed to the Tour.

Appearance

Beautiful. A work of art. I love the satin finish. They look incredible in the bag. The look at address is clean, and gives you a lot of confidence. (That and the fact that you can be confident you know where this next shot will end up!) No glare, even when you've got the sun at “that angle”. I really feel like the designers outdid themselves on these wedges.

Appearance Score: (10 / 10)

Feel, Sound, Playability

The wedge graveyard at my house is reasonably large. I believe wedges are like putters: It's all a feel and confidence game. An 8-iron from the middle of the fairway isn't that big a deal. Whatever club you've got, within reason, is going to perform nearly the same as another. However, if you look down at a short game / scoring club, and you don't BELIEVE you can pull off the shot you have to pull off RIGHT NOW, you're done. These wedges give me that type of confidence. I'm sure we'll have our issues at some point; every relationship hits it's rocky points. The nice ‘click' these make when you hit the ball clean is a very pleasant thing.

attachicon.gifIMG_4096.JPG

Wedge Penalty Box

FSP Score: (15/15)

“Gotta Have ‘em Now” Factor:

I was interested in this test opportunity because I was in the market for new wedges. However, I'm also a cheapskate. These wedges are retailing for $149. If you read my review, I think they are fantastic. However, when I can buy Callaway MD3, Mizuno S5 or Cleveland RTX-3 for $129, or Cleveland RTX 2.0 for $99 (X 3, remember!) as I stand here today I most likely would go another direction. I'm just being completely honest about how I shop and what I think about golf companies, golf marketing and the prices of NEW clubs. I love new shiny toys as much as anyone else. But, they're not much good if you can't afford to go play golf. Now, in 12 months when THESE are on sale, oh yeah, I'm gonna go get these!

“Gotta Have ‘em Now” Score: (11/15)

Stage 2 Scoring: 89 / 100

Until we meet again:

We're going to continue to game these babies, since I can still afford to play golf (Thanks, MyGolfSpy!!) including this weekend in The Bluegrass State! Hoping to add some good range video, maybe even to this Stage 2 review. (Stage 2.5??) Let's see how they wear over the next few weeks. Since they're not forged, I'm looking for no dropoff in performance, as long as we don't encounter a rock, a cart path ala Mickelson, or some other unforeseen difficulty. Keep it in the fairway, kids! If not, it'll probably be over here by my drive, and I'll look for it!!

attachicon.gifIMG_4102.GIF

Way to go Blue!  Great great honest feedback....especially when it comes to "buy it or not" !  

Good luck in KY and keep it in the short stuff.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

How are testers seeing distances on full swings?

The reason I didn't get along with the original Glides is because, in identical lofts, they are where shorter than other wedges, leaving me awkward gaps.

In Titleist, Cleveland, and Hopkins my 54 goes about 103. I couldn't get the 54 in the original Glides room go more than 95

I just added a laser to my bag after reading some other MGS testing. The main focus of my personal Stage 3 is going to be distance control, (which right now seems to be excellent) and face wear.

Guess I better get playing!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Great work!!!

Driver: :nike-small: Nike Vapor Speed (10.5 degrees, Stiff)
Hybrid: :titelist-small: Titleist 915H 3h (stiff)
Irons: :nike-small: Nike Vapor Fly Pro (4-AW, stiff +.5 inch long)
Wedges: :nike-small: Nike Engage (52, 56, 60)
Putter: :seemore-small: SeeMore FGP Mallet
Ball: Vice Pro Soft

Bag: Puma Cart Bag

Shoes: :footjoy-small: FootJoy Hyperflex BOA

Dexterity: Right Handed

Handicap: 14

I just added a laser to my bag after reading some other MGS testing. The main focus of my personal Stage 3 is going to be distance control, (which right now seems to be excellent) and face wear.

Guess I better get playing!

What a great reason to play more golf!   :D

Looking fwd to your updates.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Awesome write ups Gents! Glad someone made use of my stuff MGoBlue!! Sounds like everyone likes these things for different reasons.

Thanks Alan!  It's been fun using these wedges.  Hopefully I can get locked in so I have some great stories to tell in Stage 3!

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

So, even the Glide 2.0 cannot extricate this. IMG_4110.JPG

Best part was, it was in the face, and about thigh high. Quite the stance & swing issue.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

So, even the Glide 2.0 cannot extricate this. attachicon.gifIMG_4110.JPG

Best part was, it was in the face, and about thigh high. Quite the stance & swing issue.

Ha! Not going to get much "glide" under that one....

Sent from my LG-D851 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Just dropped from the one and only Rick Shiels...

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

• 1 month later...

Great reviews on these wedges, I definitely need to give these a try....my SW needs replacing that sounds like a good place to start.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

How does the finish hold up after several rounds?

It seemed to wear quicker than what I was used to from the start, but I'm used to either tour chrome or raw wedges.

Once I got past that initial phase where every little nick showed, I think they have held up pretty well!

http://www.instagram.com/libertyballmarkers

I ordered a Ping Glide 2.0 54* SW, can't wait to give it a try

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

How does the finish hold up after several rounds?

The finish and grooves so far are in pretty good shape.  I do clean my clubs quite often though.  I'll snap some pics tonight and post them out there for you.  One thing I did notice in comparing these to my old gamer Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour is that they don't get as many "nicks" or 'dings' as the Callys.  The Callys are forged (and therefore softer) and these are not... they are a "hard" club...I must say, I'm still getting good spin out of them... stuck one to 6 feet with my 54 last night to win the closest-to-the-pin in my weekly league.   :D

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Wow. You guys are soooooo darn lucky. I love the review but have to say.... I bet mygolfspy loves the long thorough review but many times it comes off as rambling. We want a little more short and sweet. Pics and videos are nice because we can garner more insight but just imagine if the hot list was 1000 pages to cover 50 clubs. No one would read it. Pros, cons, facts and opinions. again I'm not poking fun. Just my two cents.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

Wow. You guys are soooooo darn lucky. I love the review but have to say.... I bet mygolfspy loves the long thorough review but many times it comes off as rambling. We want a little more short and sweet. Pics and videos are nice because we can garner more insight but just imagine if the hot list was 1000 pages to cover 50 clubs. No one would read it. Pros, cons, facts and opinions. again I'm not poking fun. Just my two cents.

I respectfully disagree. If I wanted a bunch of marketing/fluff bullet points I'd read golf digest as you mentioned

The great thing about MGS forum reviews is how thorough and detailed they are

The finish and grooves so far are in pretty good shape. I do clean my clubs quite often though. I'll snap some pics tonight and post them out there for you. One thing I did notice in comparing these to my old gamer Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour is that they don't get as many "nicks" or 'dings' as the Callys. The Callys are forged (and therefore softer) and these are not... they are a "hard" club...I must say, I'm still getting good spin out of them... stuck one to 6 feet with my 54 last night to win the closest-to-the-pin in my weekly league. :D

These things are a big blob.. no huge on my radar right now. 49.5°, 52.5°, 55.5°, 59.5°, 62° as I've said in another thread. The finish is what caught my eye when they can out with the Glide 1.0... the cast helps too. I play in sandy conditions a lot, the cast clubs will hold up better as you mentioned.

Any of the Navy dudes see the 55.5? We all know what chapter that is. Fire, fire, fire!! Those things are ...

- Alan

Archived