TESTERS WANTED! ×

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER TESTING - PING GLIDE WEDGES

JBones

These things are a big blob.. no huge on my radar right now. 49.5°, 52.5°, 55.5°, 59.5°, 62° as I've said in another thread. The finish is what caught my eye when they can out with the Glide 1.0... the cast helps too. I play in sandy conditions a lot, the cast clubs will hold up better as you mentioned.

Any of the Navy dudes see the 55.5? We all know what chapter that is. Fire, fire, fire!! Those things are ...

- Alan

They certainly aren't the "prettiest girl on the block" ... If I were to base them just on looks they'd probably be 3rd behind the cally MD3 and Cleveland RTX but man do they spin the ball.  Really great coming out bunkers and near the green.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the no frills of the Glide 2.0, I'm not a fan of a bunch of crap all over my clubs. Maybe a cool stamp like "Shankster" but other than that give me plane Jain sticks. The Glides are the cleanest looking out of them all.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

After round/pre-cleaning pics... 2 or 3 rounds on these without a cleaning

You'll notice the grooves are still sharp and there are some scuffs (as would be expected) on the soles.

No dings/nicks/cuts... although; I don't hit from rocks, branch roots or anything hard enough to damage them.  I'll gladly take a penalty stroke.   :D

most of the scuffing is surface and usually a wipe down with a wet cloth is enough to get them lookin good again.

Can't believe I'm doing this... I always clean my clubs and to submit photos of dirty clubs is.... sacrilegious...

Off to clean these babies up now.

wedge1.jpg

wedge2.jpg

wedge3.jpg

wedge4.jpg

wedge5.jpg

wedge6.jpg

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

• 3 weeks later...

Rick and Pete could've used the super-duper spin on the Glide wedges for this challenge!  Especially RICK!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

• 2 months later...

Not surprised to see the Glide 2.0 at the top of the "Best Wedges of 2017" list in the full shot category.... these are top notch!

I'll have a stage 3 soon now that the season is coming to an end.

Capture.JPG

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I love the reviews on here for these.  I just recently purchased these wedges in a 56* and 60* both WS grind.  After going through a wedge fitting, I found out that I needed a high bounce club since I'm a digger.  The first choice everyone wanted me to try was Vokey.  I tried the K and F grinds.  The K grind was amazing out of bunkers.  I would compare it to hitting a 7 wood, just like cheating.  I've had a F grind before and I loved that club.  Then after trying different wedges out there and looking for a high bounce, I found Ping.  I was lucky enough to take the Vokey and Ping out on the course for a head to head.  The Vokey definitely had a softer feel off the club face.  The  true deciding factor for me was looking at turf interaction.  I went behind the hole of one of the greens and buried the ball in the worst lie possible.  I wanted to know that if this would ever happen, because we all get bad lies, that I would have the confidence with the club to get it out.  As bad as the lie was, the Ping went through it as if it was a perfect lie.  The Vokey I struggled to get through the grass.   I repeated the test at least 10 times for each club with the same results.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

I have also found that to be true.  The Glide 2.0's definitely "glide" through the rough.  I have experienced very little twisting or "hosel grab", and I hit the ball into all KINDS of gnarly spots!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

• 5 weeks later...

I just posted an admittedly short Stage 3 of my wedge review.  I'm playing Monday, maybe a range session over the weekend.  Would like to add some additional photos...

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

• 3 months later...

Just finishing my Ping swing. How are you guys feeling about these wedges heading into 2018? Most notably, I'd like to know how they're holding up durability wise.

Looks like we're still owed a few Stage reviews but I'm guessing these will be in the bag for at least 3/4 of the testers this year.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I'm unfortunately on the DL currently, (broken heel) but mine still look practically new.  I'll post some photos this weekend.  I can assure you mine won't be coming out of the bag this upcoming season.  I was just getting to the point where I really understood how I could manipulate them to hit the shot I wanted.  I'm a bit of a slow learner anyway, LOLZ.  Takes me some time to get comfortably adjusted to new clubs, especially wedges.

I'll back MGoBlue100 up on this one.  I wasn't part of this review, but I bought the glide wedges in October, and they still look and feel like new.  I haven't noticed any loss of spin either.  That's even after they took a beating at the Tour Striker Academy, which I'm going to finish up that review this week.  

I do have one question for those who were part of this review, do you think you'll hit the new stealth Glide 2.0?  If so, would you mind doing a quick comparison on feel since they are supposed to be softer?  I was going to try to get my hands on one for a quick head to head with my "standard' Glide 2.0's.  

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

I'm unfortunately on the DL currently, (broken heel) but mine still look practically new. I'll post some photos this weekend. I can assure you mine won't be coming out of the bag this upcoming season. I was just getting to the point where I really understood how I could manipulate them to hit the shot I wanted. I'm a bit of a slow learner anyway, LOLZ. Takes me some time to get comfortably adjusted to new clubs, especially wedges.

Sorry for the delay: finally got out to the garage today. This is my 50 deg.

IMG_4941.JPG

IMG_4942.JPG

• 3 months later...

....bumping this thread in case anyone is considering the Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth wedges.... these are essentially the same thing without the fancy black paint.

I'm still using them and loving them...if anyone has questions let me know!

BTW - my swing is completely different now...wow what a hack I was just a year ago!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

• 1 month later...

attachicon.gifDSC_0185.JPG

Stage One - Introduction & Interview Thread with Q&A Section with MmmmmmBuddy!!!

attachicon.gifIMG_0478.JPG

The Questions

Handicap/average score? - Current index is 9.6. I tell people that I drive it like a 1 and have the short game of a 20, so this averages out to a 9.6..

Strengths of your game?- Driving the golf ball and course management. I still hit the ball pretty good with the driver for someone of my age and build. I am a 47 year old 5' 9” creaky old guy. My last round, I hit 14/14 fairways, and averaged 282 off of the tee. (still shot 84)

attachicon.gifIMG_0656.JPG

Weakness of your game?- Any club that is not a driver. Really though, it's putting and wedges. If I can ever sort them out, I might still be good at this game.

attachicon.gifDSC_0194.JPG

Typical ball flight? My standard ball flight with full swing wedges is HIGH. I cannot hit that cool, low, spinning wedge. Can't do it. I have been trying to learn it for years. Not in the arsenal. All of my standard wedge shots are high and with not much spin.. It's what I do, and I have learned to live with it.

Typical miss?- When I miss a wedge, I typically miss it high/right. Off of the toe. Comes up 15 yards shorts, and either in the bunker or the water hazard. I know that this is caused by a swing “issue” and am working “diligently” to rectify it..

Current comparable equipment?- My current wands are a mixture of old and new. I have 2 sets of irons that I will rotate, depending on how I am feeling, so I will change wedges based on the set and the course conditions.

My go to wedge setup is:

• 46° and 50° SCOR wedges with GENIUS Steel shafts -.25 inches and standard lie.

• 56° Cleveland 900 series RTG bent to 54° std length TTDG S200

• 60° Cleveland 588 Gunmetal bent to 58° matching shaft, length and lie.

I find that the 4° gaps help me fill all of the yardages that I need to fill inside of 120 yards. I rarely hit full shots with the 58°, as I find the distance control to be difficult to master.

attachicon.gifDSC_0186.JPG

Swing tempo?- I am routinely described as having the “Best Swing in the Shop” I quickly follow that up with “It's pretty but ineffective”. You be the judge.

https://youtu.be/jov6UlUW7ws

·

Driver swing speed?- My driver Swing Speed fluctuates with the seasons. In the summer, when I play more, and the weather is warmer, I can still move the thing around 105mph and develop a driver ball speed of around 155-158. (Best part of my game). Out here in the Pacific Northwest, we get to play all year, but what we play in the winter barely passes as golf. The ground is so wet and muddy, that it requires a completely different type of shot for most situations. There is no such thing as “Roll””. Every shot plugs. What you can carry is what you get. I tend to think that this is why I like to hit the ball so high.

What makes you love the game?- I love the walk. I love being outside in the air for hours at a time. I love the feeling of hitting it pure. I love planning a shot and pulling it off. I love it that no matter how long I play, or how much I practice, I can ALWAYS be better.

How long have you been golfing? For those of you who are unfamiliar with me, I have been involved with golf in some capacity since 1986. I have been playing since I watched an old man win the Masters that April. I vividly remember this because I thought that it was cool that the guy that came from way back and won this tournament had a name that sounded a little like mine. I decided to ask my neighbor to take me along the next time he went to play. We went the next weekend. I remember hitting ONE perfect shot that first day, (175 yard 4 wood) and I was HOOKED…

· What kind of golfer are you? I am the guy that when we get done with our round, you will think I shot 75, but the card will read 91. I can make a bad round look good in a hurry.

· What's your story- I started working at golf courses in college, and I am still in the business today. I work for one of the largest independently owned golf retail stores in the US. I have been lucky enough to find a home here for the past 14 years. If anyone has questions about what it's like to work in the industry for that long, or anything else, please let me know!!

attachicon.gifIMG_0540.JPG

When I had spare time in my life about 18-20 years ago, I played nearly 200 rounds a year, and was a decent player. I could scrape it around in near par on most tracks from the back tees.. Today is another story. I don't have the time to dedicate to golf like I used to, so my scoring abilities have suffered. I drive the ball better than I ever have, but I struggle mightily with the short stick, and have bouts of resentment with my wedges. Some days, they rescue me from places that no human has ever been before, and on others, it's as if I picked up golf last week… When my wedges and putter cooperate, I can still be dangerous out on the links. I like to think that I am the best 9.6 index walking around IF I can get the wedges and putter going…

Growing up, I didn't play golf. Golf wasn't popular or cool in the late 70's and early 80's in Eugene Oregon. No one in my family played, so I was not exposed to golf until a buddy from the High School track team took me after I asked about it following the ‘86 Masters. I was a fairly competitive track athlete in High School, but not quite good enough (Devoted Enough) to make it in D1. I needed to find an outlet for that fire, and golf was it. I played all the time from 1989 on. I read everything, watched as much golf as I could stand, and hung out at the course. I was obsessed.

·

· What is in your bag?- What I carry depends on the course and my mood. I am playing a 7 year old TaylorMade Driver, a 10 year old Exotics Fairway, and an eclectic mixture of Irons and Hybrids. For a complete rundown, see my signature.

attachicon.gifIMG_0705.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0706.JPG

· How did you choose them?- I play what works best for me. Always have, and always will.

attachicon.gifIMG_0707.JPG

· What region do you play out of?- I live and play in the Pacific Northwest. It rains here. A LOT. Don't move here unless you like the rain.

attachicon.gifIMG_0704.JPG

· Describe your short game- It's a mess. There is no consistency from day to day, or shot to shot. I have played for long enough that I know how to execute several different types of shots from around the greens, but I cannot seem to pull them off with any regularity. I always seem to default to the “Chunk and Run” for most pitch shots if it is available.

·How is your wedge play currently?- I cannot consistently count on my wedges. This is a terrible feeling. Some days I can play with some modicum of consistency. Other days, I look like a rank beginner. I am dying for some type of consistency.

· What are you hoping to get out of the wedges?- I would love some consistency and confidence.

attachicon.gifDSC_0199.JPG

Nice stage 1 I am really interested in your experiences working in the golf industry for 14 years and also I would like to get into the industry in 3 years when I retire from the military.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Archived