Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Should a spectator be allowed to call in a rule violation?

ole gray

Spectators calling in penalties  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should a spectator be allowed to call in a violation of the rules of a sporting event?

There has been a ton of discussion on whether fans should be allowed to alter the outcome of a sporting event. Last weekend during an LPGA Major, this exact thing happened when a viewer called in what they considered a violation while Lexi Thompson was marking her ball on the green.

I don't ever remember ever seeing a spectator calling in during other sporting events to include individual sports such as tennis, bowling, wrestling, swimming, and horse shoes to make a ruling.

Personally I am strongly against spectators calling in to make rulings during a sporting event. 

Let's put this up for fellow spys to cast their vote!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simply no.

Unless you are affiliated with the tournament in an official capacity. Then you have no say.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I was looking for the h$ll no button and couldn't find it so I simply voted no.  Who is to say that the person calling in the violation even knows the rules of golf and their qulifications?  We have one simple rule at my club for rules assessments....if you are playing a match and the people in the match agree on a rules determination in the group it is done even if the ruling was not completely correct.  If you don't all agree then call the shop and have one of the pro's come out and enforce the ruling that is deemed correct.  I had someone last year try and call a penalty on me for hitting a shot off the cart path since they thought it was a mandatory drop.  This guy plays golf four to five days a week and obviously does not know the rules.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

I was looking for the h$ll no button and couldn't find it so I simply voted no.  Who is to say that the person calling in the violation even knows the rules of golf and their qulifications?  We have one simple rule at my club for rules assessments....if you are playing a match and the people in the match agree on a rules determination in the group it is done even if the ruling was not completely correct.  If you don't all agree then call the shop and have one of the pro's come out and enforce the ruling that is deemed correct.  I had someone last year try and call a penalty on me for hitting a shot off the cart path since they thought it was a mandatory drop.  This guy plays golf four to five days a week and obviously does not know the rules.

Actually I almost created a "Hell No" button as that was my feeling on the subject! :D 

Cleveland

No way! I suppose they can call in, but there is no way they should be given any consideration.... at all!

There is no other sport/game I can think of that allows it, let alone condones it and uses it!

I'm not saying Lexi shouldn't have been penalized....... if it was caught and dealt with the day of the infraction... and not by some a**hole watching on TV.

Actually I almost created a "Hell No" button as that was my feeling on the subject! :D

In this situation I'd prefer a NFW as a response to someone wanting spectators to call violations

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

FOX's Joel Klatt had a hot take on the topic this morning that I think had merit. 

"It's very simple...unless EVERY shot by EVERY player is broadcast INCLUDING marking, then call-ins and e-mail should NEVER be accepted."

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

In a word no.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Absolutely not.

However, If you do call or email in...  The tour should be allowed to post your name, pictures and all social media handles both on TV and on the tour's web site so we can all ridicule the person.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Never!!!

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

No! Could you imagine if this happened in other sports? If a ref missed a call, that is just part of the game.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Spectators taking the role of a referee is completely ridiculous in my opinion.  Having said that I'm not opposed to professionals having their play reviewed.  If not with the purpose of changing scores then for the potential assessment of fines.  The rules are there for a reason, and infractions at the professional level should have repercussions.  

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

Spectators taking the role of a referee is completely ridiculous in my opinion. Having said that I'm not opposed to professionals having their play reviewed. If not with the purpose of changing scores then for the potential assessment of fines. The rules are there for a reason, and infractions at the professional level should have repercussions.

Having a review by officials in some capacity is exactly what should happen.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

A couple posts on Twitter from last night's national championship game put things in perspective here. Answer this: would calling-in these change the calls, or outcome in a basketball game? If not, why so for golf?

In the first pic, the ball was called out of bounds off Carolina, but the TV shows differently. In the second pic, the player's toe is touching the free throw line- a violation, loss of made free throw and possession to the other team (if the last of the series of free throws). So, if other sports don't allow it, golf shouldn't either. And to think how many shots were struck in the LPGA tournament WITHOUT being covered by TV? How many MORE strokes would've been subject to the same scrutiny????!!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

A couple posts on Twitter from last night's national championship game put things in perspective here. Answer this: would calling-in these change the calls, or outcome in a basketball game? If not, why so for golf?

attachicon.gifIMG_2479.PNGattachicon.gifIMG_2480.PNG

In the first pic, the ball was called out of bounds off Carolina, but the TV shows differently. In the second pic, the player's toe is touching the free throw line- a violation, loss of made free throw and possession to the other team (if the last of the series of free throws). So, if other sports don't allow it, golf shouldn't either. And to think how many shots were struck in the LPGA tournament WITHOUT being covered by TV? How many MORE strokes would've been subject to the same scrutiny????!!!!

This is one of the points I was trying to make about other sports and calling in however I couldn't do it this well.   

Cleveland

NO!

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

no, no, no and i would say NO

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

certainly not Joe Q. Public, but what about a PGA/LPGA tour rules official watching on television?

This is someone that is qualified and adept at determining rules violations.

I would think that this would be acceptable.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I don't think any of the governing bodies took into account the impact of television on golf. Self policing should only be within the players and rules officials at the tournament. After the scorecard is signed and authenticated by the governing official then that should be the players score for the day (as others have said).

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

certainly not Joe Q. Public, but what about a PGA/LPGA tour rules official watching on television?

This is someone that is qualified and adept at determining rules violations.

I would think that this would be acceptable.

Unless literally every shot from every player is televised then this creates an unfair advantage for non leaders and less popular players.

Brooks Koepka could probably start playing a box up as little as he's shown :D.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

When the application and enforcement of the rules are discussed, often the term "equity" is referenced.   In my opinion, such term implies that the rules should be applied and enforced in a consistent or equal manner to all participants.   Given that only those players receiving an excessive amount of televised coverage are subject to the enforcement by outsiders, have the rules been applied in an equitable or equal manner to all participants.   In my opinion, only the participants and on site officials can apply and enforce the rules in an equitable or equal manner.

Unless literally every shot from every player is televised then this creates an unfair advantage for non leaders and less popular players.

Brooks Koepka could probably start playing a box up as little as he's shown :D.

fair enough, but shouldn't the leaders or at least those in the top 10 know that they are being watched and **heavily** scrutinized and be extra-super-duper careful ??

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Golf is a game of honor, and players call penalties on themselves.  The playing partner protects the honor of the game for the entire field of players by calling violations when they see them, and then attest the score for the other player.  People should not be able to call in and change the score of a match after the scorecard has been signed and attested by another player and the official.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

fair enough, but shouldn't the leaders or at least those in the top 10 know that they are being watched and **heavily** scrutinized and be extra-super-duper careful ??

Yes they should but that isn't really the issue. Just because someone is in the top 10 doesn't mean they are on TV much. See my above Koepka reference. It still doesn't create an equal playing field for all players. 

What if this was Tiger/Phil and it was Friday to make the cut? Would some joe schmoe have the same scrutiny over a shot, so far back from the leaders? Definitely not. TV coverage only shows certain shots of certain players at certain times so it gives less notable player an unfair advantage. Just like it doesn't protect the field from players further back from the lead having less chances to be shown/penalized. 

I have a idea.. Start televising the game in standard definition. That way you can't tell if they put it in the wrong spot ;) lol

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

The kicker is... ALL OF THIS, is assuming that someone isn't calling in for selfish reasons. 
What if someone has money on another player and calls it in to help themselves out. Or if they just dislike a player and would otherwise not call in if it was a player they liked. 

Let me give you one particularly crappy scenario with this Lexi fiasco. What if... The person who emailed in to call out Lexi, actually noticed this rules infraction on Saturday right after it happened. He/she doesn't like Lexi. In fact, she is his/her least favorite player(or they have $$$ on someone else, whatever). The second they saw the penalty, they got really excited because they get to call a rules infraction on someone they dislike. Then they realize, I can call this in now and she will get a 2 shot penalty. Orrrrrr. I can wait until tomorrow and call it in(email) and then she will not only get a 2 shot penalty but also an additional 2 shot penalty for signing an incorrect scorecard!

This person just negatively affected the outcome of the tournament to serve their own purposes. Not to protect the field but to hurt an individual and change the outcome of a major. 

Think about that for a second. 

We all can debate it, but in the end the rules need to be updated for the world we live in of high definition tvs, dvrs etc. It was unfortunate that it happened to Lexi and it will happen again upto when they enact the new rules in 2019...

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: