Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Should a spectator be allowed to call in a rule violation?

ole gray

Spectators calling in penalties  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should a spectator be allowed to call in a violation of the rules of a sporting event?

I don't remember a fan calling in to request Lance Armstrong and the others requesting a blood test. Blood tests at the end of those sports is common.

Not the same.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Of course it is the same -  in that the penalty was applied retrospectively. Regardless of what the breach of each sport(s) respective rules were, the penalty was applied after the event. If you ask me, the ruling bodies and anyone who calls in a breach probably did Lexi a favour - because nobody would want to be called a cheat after winning would they? Just ask Lance.

Just as blood tests or anything similar are quite common at the end of some sports, so is the review of evidence after golf rounds - and it's been that way at least since records began. 

The whole point is that no sport is beyond reproach retrospectively for their conduct, actions or adherence to their rules - and the R&A/USGA ensures that it remains this way for golf. I have no problem whatsoever in which manner they collate, review and apply their rules in professional tournaments. 

Anyone who does have a problem with it clearly has something to hide.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course it is the same -  in that the penalty was applied retrospectively. Regardless of what the breach of each sport(s) respective rules were, the penalty was applied after the event. If you ask me, the ruling bodies and anyone who calls in a breach probably did Lexi a favour - because nobody would want to be called a cheat after winning would they? Just ask Lance.

Just as blood tests or anything similar are quite common at the end of some sports, so is the review of evidence after golf rounds - and it's been that way at least since records began. 

The whole point is that no sport is beyond reproach retrospectively for their conduct, actions or adherence to their rules - and the R&A/USGA ensures that it remains this way for golf. I have no problem whatsoever in which manner they collate, review and apply their rules in professional tournaments. 

Anyone who does have a problem with it clearly has something to hide.

I guess literally every tour player I've heard interviewed on the subject has something to hide then? Because NONE of them think that a fan should be able to call in a penalty from their couch and affect the event in which they are not playing or governing. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I guess literally every tour player I've heard interviewed on the subject has something to hide then? Because NONE of them think that a fan should be able to call in a penalty from their couch and affect the event in which they are not playing or governing. 

Clearly, by some of the comments on here and by those quoted by some tour players, breaches of rules are quite commonplace. No shame in that, because everybody makes mistakes. The problem is when they are not mistakes - when they are deliberate actions. Some have called out as saying that improper marking of the ball is "rife" on tour. I tend to agree - especially when you consider the amount of money at stake and how that encourages greed. 

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen deliberate breaches and when they get called out, they either completely deny any knowledge of it or ignore it. If there is any way to discourage or lessen this trend among pros, let alone weekend amateurs, then I'm all for it. 

If that just so happens to be someone watching the event remotely, then I see absolutely no difference whatsoever than being called out by their own playing partner. The fact that the playing partner didn't witness or notice the act has no bearing on the fact that a breach occurred. 

Maybe we should rename this thread: "Should a player be allowed to make a deliberate breach and get away with it?" because that is what most are saying.

Maybe we should rename this thread: "Should a player be allowed to make a deliberate breach and get away with it?" because that is what most are saying.

I don't think people are suggesting that players should get away with rules violations, but I for one don't believe spectators should be involved in the process for a number of reasons already given here under this topic. It's not about whether someone should be able to cheat, it's about how to enforce the rules. Golf has always been a sport of honor and players by and large do their best to follow the rules but everyone is human so inadvertent mistakes happen and if there isn't someone there to point it out at the time it happens, it should be left as is. If there are players that "cheat" on a regular basis, they will be called out and that will fix itself over time.

What's in my  :titelist-small: 14 Way Stand Bag

Driver:   :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha 816 DBD 9° (Regular Flex)
Fairway:  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha 816 14° (Regular Flex)
Hybrids:  PXG 19° (Regular Flex)
Irons: PXG 0211 4-GW (Std Loft/Lie, Regular Flex)
Wedges: :callaway-small: MD3 50
°,54°,58° (Std Loft/Lie, Regular Flex)
Putter: post-56870-0-25810000-1458757651.pngZAAP Alpha (35")

Clearly, by some of the comments on here and by those quoted by some tour players, breaches of rules are quite commonplace. No shame in that, because everybody makes mistakes. The problem is when they are not mistakes - when they are deliberate actions. Some have called out as saying that improper marking of the ball is "rife" on tour. I tend to agree - especially when you consider the amount of money at stake and how that encourages greed. 

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen deliberate breaches and when they get called out, they either completely deny any knowledge of it or ignore it. If there is any way to discourage or lessen this trend among pros, let alone weekend amateurs, then I'm all for it. 

If that just so happens to be someone watching the event remotely, then I see absolutely no difference whatsoever than being called out by their own playing partner. The fact that the playing partner didn't witness or notice the act has no bearing on the fact that a breach occurred. 

Agree with alot of what you said there. I just don't think someone at home should be able to call it in. I believe that all players rounds should be recorded equally as best as possible and that a rules official review their round that day. If there are any infractions they can be informed at that time so they do not incur a 2 stroke penalty for signing incorrectly. This would be fair to everyone and insure no violations occurred.  

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I don't think people are suggesting that players should get away with rules violations, but I for one don't believe spectators should be involved in the process for a number of reasons already given here under this topic. It's not about whether someone should be able to cheat, it's about how to enforce the rules. Golf has always been a sport of honor and players by and large do their best to follow the rules but everyone is human so inadvertent mistakes happen and if there isn't someone there to point it out at the time it happens, it should be left as is. If there are players that "cheat" on a regular basis, they will be called out and that will fix itself over time.

Boom!!!  Home run so touch all the bases.....   Well spoken

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

It would be a "fairytale" to think all spectators intentions, were not swayed by an outside factor; such as country - state - country club etc. therefore and outside agent should be discounted, unless the agent is acting in good faith........but unfortunately this a far fetched assumption. The game is too complicated to allow such interferences as in the past - time to change this foolish rule.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• 3 weeks later...

One thing sort of touched on in this thread but that bothers me .. .. is that the camera recording the video can oftentimes be pretty far and/or high away from where the shot is being played.

For example, atop a crane 100 feet in the air.

To me, this introduces a lot of potential viewing angle biases and distortions....

Unless the camera is a hand-held steady on the ground and directly on the straight line between the player's ball and the cup .. what can you really, truthfully see?

All that said, the rules are the rules and I believe everyone should play by them and within them; additionally, IMHO, Tour Pros .. being televised and being "models" for the viewers / golfing public .. have an extra obligation to play properly.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

There has been a ton of discussion on whether fans should be allowed to alter the outcome of a sporting event. Last weekend during an LPGA Major, this exact thing happened when a viewer called in what they considered a violation while Lexi Thompson was marking her ball on the green.

I don't ever remember ever seeing a spectator calling in during other sporting events to include individual sports such as tennis, bowling, wrestling, swimming, and horse shoes to make a ruling.

Personally I am strongly against spectators calling in to make rulings during a sporting event.

Let's put this up for fellow spys to cast their vote!

No. Players and officials on the course at the time of play.

No way a viewer should. No other sport allows it. I would love to call in some holding penalties on Alabama this season or some fouls on U.K. Basketball but I can't and that's fair. Players monitors themselves and each other as well as tournament officials. Also shouldn't be able to call one 6 holes later

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Archived