Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Playing as a single

StrokerAce

So I don't have a consistent golf partner - you know, that guy (or gal!) that you can get to join you pretty much anytime.

That leaves me playing as a single A LOT.  As a matter of fact I'd say about 80 percent of my rounds are as a single.

I've managed to be paired up with some good folks but haven't found someone I really hit it off with that I can grab as a consistent partner.

However, it always seems awkward when I call the pro shop for a tee time and tell them I'm a single.  There seems to be this --pause-- and then they get it, hunt around for something and let me know.  Along with this is the fact that it can be delicate when you get paired up with either a 2some or 3some that wanted to play by themselves.

So, my question to you - do you play as a single much and if so what is your strategy?  Do you ask to be paired up, do you ask to go out by yourself, do you have a "secret trick" when talking to the pro shop?

For some reason it seems like I'm missing something here....

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I play solo a lot, but I never set a tee time for myself. I just show up and ask when I can get worked in.

Even if I get to go alone, I usually catch someone and will end up playing with them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I book everything online

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I book everything online

Most of the courses around me won't let you book as a single online.  :(

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I used to play single almost exclusively. I found it was easier to get on as a single with little to no notice I always told them I'd rather play with another group. Met a ton of cool people and a few I'd rather not play with again. Sometimes they'd send me out alone, but I'm good with that too. Now I have a semi regular group I play with, but single is a heck of a lot better than not playing!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Most of the courses around me won't let you book as a single online. :(

I usually just walk on and get on the list. Even if they're booked there's always a no show, and I don't have to wait long to get on.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I usually play with my wife and sometimes we join up with another couple.  We also get paired with a single or another twosome.  Makes no difference to us.  During the week I walk with a few guys usually on  Mondays and Wednesdays.  However, there are days when I want to go out alone just to practice certain shots on certain holes.  I can do that at certain times of the day during the week, usually early afternoon.  When I go out in the mornings, I just ask at the pro shop when I get out and there is always a spot where I can join up with a twosome of threesome.  It might be in five minutes or an hour.  I either hustle to get my stuff together or spend the time in the practice area.  

During the busy times of the day, no twosome or threesome should expect to play by themselves.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I play as a single 75% of the time. I usually just go to the course without a tee time and when I get my warm up bucket ask how busy it is. They then ask if I'm a single and will usually say there is an opening I can jump on. I almost always catch up with a two-some or three-some in front of me and will join up with them.

I do miss having my regular foursome but I really like meeting people on the course. Makes for interesting conversation and most times is a pleasure.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I can't stand playing alone. Now I have 3 groups that I regularly play with at my club and it's the best.

Taylormade M1

Titleist 816 H1

Titleist 916 AP1 4-GW

52,56,60 Vokey Wedges

64 Mack Daddy PM Grind Wedge

Ping Ketsch mid putter

Titleist deluxe cart bag

TecTecTec range finder

CaddyTek EZ-Fold 3 Wheel Golf Push Cart

Country Club Elite® Hitting Strip 10"x30"

Rukket Haack Golf Net By SEC Coach Chris Haack 10 X 7ft

I play as a single 95% of the time. I just show up and asked to be fit in. Golf courses hate to and usually will not book times for single players. (at least out here)

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I play as a single probably 80 percent of the time and I make sure I'm the first to go out in the morning or I play 2 balls just just enjoy myself and relax. I have the mindset that I know I will catch up to somebody and just to go with it. Clubs around me are pretty cool if I ask if I can get out about 5 minutes ahead of the first group and they will never see me again. It usually works but a couple of weeks ago I was paired up with this elderly couple at Conestoga Golf Course in mesquite and I asked if I could get ahead if this them, well the Pro shop told me they played quickly but I thought no way could they push me. I was wrong. I don't know how the got those old bodies moving so fast but they were behind me on every shot. We played 18 holes in 2 hrs 10 minutes, and that's the last time I underestimate an elderly couple who says they wanna play fast.

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

As a kid my dad drug me out with his league partner (Kevin)... I couldn't stand him. I was about 16, so he hit his drives 20 yards or so past me. And always gave me really bad advice. Now I'm in my early 30's, been moving around the country for the past 10 years. Haven't had the chance to get to know too many people. I did run into some good ole boys and played a few holes with them on several occasions. They knew how to have fun.

Last year I played a few scrambles with my dad and Kevin... he offered no lessons.

I usually play solo. I can do 18 in just over 2 hours. If I don't run into anyone. If I do I slow down and play 2 balls. I play really fast. Pick my club on the way to the next shot. Probably should slow down all the time, my game would probably be better.

I'd like to meet some people but I don't want to meet another Kevin. Golf is "my" time. I have 5 kids, which I love taking with me, but golf is dads time.

I play as a single 95% of the time. I just show up and asked to be fit in. Golf courses hate to and usually will not book times for single players. (at least out here)

We have a lot of singles and twosomes playing, so a single can book a tee time and the pro shop with put people together, except on the weekend.  If a single calls in during the week for a weekend tee time, they will be given a tee time IF there is an available time booked by a twosome or threesome.  It's usually not a problem for a single to show up and get out though, even on the weekend.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The easiest thing I found is to just go out early. This may mean 6 AM in the summer but it's with it. I've also found 2 or 3 courses where I made contact with the pro/manager and they know me and I can talk to them and make plans for a good time to go out. Other times I don't worry about getting paired up.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I live 50 miles from my work and most of my golf buddies. So on the weekend when I want to play I usually go on GolfNow and reserve a tee time for myself but, I always show up early and try to get worked in with someone else. I just tell the starter "if you can please put me with someone" .

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

The easiest thing I found is to just go out early. This may mean 6 AM in the summer but it's with it. I've also found 2 or 3 courses where I made contact with the pro/manager and they know me and I can talk to them and make plans for a good time to go out. Other times I don't worry about getting paired up.

For sure. It is a matter of timing, or time of the day, usually.

For some reason I play my best in the early am, sun up +, and a course who's architect put the first tee box, let alone the first couple, right into the sun usually finds the regulars not taking those tee times. Thats my solo nitch. I play %70 of the time as a single. I could go when ever I wanted anyway and found the focus and results were worth it. Playing with others is about fun and meeting decent fellows. Money rounds end up with some regulars I know who are usually the type you would rather not spend time with at the buffet afterwards anyway, and then its time to bring on the scorched earth policy with a smile...

I live in RI and play by myself all the time by just walking on. Sometimes it's great and sometimes it's horrible. Regardless you are close to me in Mass so let's get together when the rain stops.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Depends on when I want to play.  For years I played as a single at some public courses and made friends with the starter and got to play as the rabbit.  Throw me in a cart and I will turn the round in right around 2 hours.  At my club I normally play with a group of guys on Saturday and the only time I play as a single is if I catch a round after work during the week.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

... As an actor, I rarely know what my schedule will be like two days in advance. I have cancelled tee times one day in advance when a last minute audition shows up so I play a lot as a single. Unlike most others I prefer twilight golf and absolutely hate playing early in the morning. Nothing like coming up 18 with the sun starting to set and the myriad of colors in the sky. 

... Golfnow is a godsend for a single and I use it often. There are several courses in my area that I really enjoy so I just call and see if there is a chance a single can get out and the answer is usually "yea, com'on out". Nothing worse than showing up without calling to find there is an outing/tourney that day. I am always amazed at how cool people that play golf really are. I would guess about 80% of the people I get paired up with make for a fun round. 15% not so much and another 5% that are just miserable to play with.

... Out in LA I played 30 days in a row twice last season in March and again in May and one day two guys greet me on the first tee like this "We are two rich Jews and our CC is closed today so we are slumming at a muni so don't slow us down". I was walking with my remote cart and they were in a riding cart but I was always waiting on them. One in his early 50's and the other his dad. They threw clubs, cursed after every poor shot, dropped balls and played extra's and rarely had anything to say to me. I shot 2 under on the front and they quit after 9. Thankfully people like this are very rare. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

... .

... Out in LA I played 30 days in a row twice last season in March and again in May and one day two guys greet me on the first tee like this "We are two rich Jews and our CC is closed today so we are slumming at a muni so don't slow us down". I was walking with my remote cart and they were in a riding cart but I was always waiting on them. One in his early 50's and the other his dad. They threw clubs, cursed after every poor shot, dropped balls and played extra's and rarely had anything to say to me. I shot 2 under on the front and they quit after 9. Thankfully people like this are very rare.

I lived in Studio City for a year and nearly all my rounds were at Griffith Park. I never seen so many single golfers at a course. When you arrived you got on the starters list and they would usually pair you with 3 other singles. It was like heaven for a single golfer because you never felt like you were intruding on a threesome.

And fortunately I never got paired with any jerkoffs like you mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

... As an actor, I rarely know what my schedule will be like two days in advance. I have cancelled tee times one day in advance when a last minute audition shows up so I play a lot as a single. Unlike most others I prefer twilight golf and absolutely hate playing early in the morning. Nothing like coming up 18 with the sun starting to set and the myriad of colors in the sky.

... Golfnow is a godsend for a single and I use it often. There are several courses in my area that I really enjoy so I just call and see if there is a chance a single can get out and the answer is usually "yea, com'on out". Nothing worse than showing up without calling to find there is an outing/tourney that day. I am always amazed at how cool people that play golf really are. I would guess about 80% of the people I get paired up with make for a fun round. 15% not so much and another 5% that are just miserable to play with.

... Out in LA I played 30 days in a row twice last season in March and again in May and one day two guys greet me on the first tee like this "We are two rich Jews and our CC is closed today so we are slumming at a muni so don't slow us down". I was walking with my remote cart and they were in a riding cart but I was always waiting on them. One in his early 50's and the other his dad. They threw clubs, cursed after every poor shot, dropped balls and played extra's and rarely had anything to say to me. I shot 2 under on the front and they quit after 9. Thankfully people like this are very rare.

Twilight golf isn't bad either. Usually follow a league for 9. If your by yourself or with a friend it's a nice to get some on course practice in that way

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I play solo about once a week. I do it on purpose for practice. sometimes don't like to be bothered out there and I can do things like hit 7iron off every tee box or play an extra ball from the 100yd marker in every hole. I try to make it fun and time consuming.

I frequently arrive to a course as a single.  I'll either use GolfNow and look for times for 1 player, or, I'll call around.  If I call I'll be straight forward and expect them to return the candor... "I'm a single and I can be there in fifteen minutes.  What time is best for you?  Do you have any twos or threes on your board?"  Within thirty seconds, I'll know if I'm playing that course or calling the next.

Currently (and for quite some time) gaming Bridgestone, Rife, Mizuno, Exotics and Cobra.  

The meetup community can be a good way to develop golf relationships...and recruit new golf spies.

A couple potential options in your neck of the woods...

https://www.meetup.com/Judgement-Free-Golf-Drinks/

https://www.meetup.com/Boston-Area-Golf-Meetup/

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I usually play as a single during the week. Off by 6:30 am most mornings. But weekend I will find a game or join up with my wife.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I play solo about 90% of the time. Don't have too many close friends that golf, so that's out of the question. I sometimes prefer it, as it allows me to focus on my game, especially when walking. I do enjoy the company though, and being able to play with groups around my skill level whenever I get the chance.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Twilight golf isn't bad either. Usually follow a league for 9. If your by yourself or with a friend it's a nice to get some on course practice in that way

Been there with those folks on those tracks too.

If you evening guys out there ever get the wild hair, there is/was a nine hole par 32( I think) muni in Indio under the lights. Some of the most dialed in golf Ive ever played was there. Ide play under the lights all the time if I was able to.

When I go on my family vacation I Am the only golfer so I go alone most of the time. I just call the course and ask when they can fit me in. Never had a problem. Sometimes I go by myself and other times the course pairs me up.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Since joining my course I haven't played single much.  If I do it's when the course is slow and I'm just jumping out for a few holes.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing as a single though.  When calling for tee times though I'd just say hey I'm a single and I'd love to try and play around this time, can you squeeze me in?  Most courses aren't going to want to book an entire tee slot for a single unless it's really slow.

As for finding partners I went through a similar situation.  I didn't have regular playing partners before joining my course and the only person I knew here was my brother in law.  He was able to facilitate a lot of introductions and that helped, but what really helped me find more golfers is joining the mens league.

See if any local courses have a mens league you could join.  Even if it's just a 9 hole shotgun league it helps to meet new people who are also in to golf.  Plus you'll run in to the same guys each time so easier to get to know them.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

In the summer, I'll try and grab the first tee time of the day with a cart to get a quick 9 in before work. Usually I am by myself but sometimes have been paired with the grounds crew moving the holes.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Archived