TESTERS WANTED! ×

Playing as a single

StrokerAce

With my work schedule I play a round a week by myself, I just play 2 balls. My standard, Srixon, against another brand I'm trying out.

If it's super busy I'll just get a few holes ahead then start. Plus always walking.

Nothing better than walking a round of golf

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll go as a single when I wanna play and no one else is available. Of all the times I have done this I have only once had a bad time. Here's a tip, never play with a 20 something old guy playing with his girlfriend. They didn't say s*** to me the whole round and I would of rather been alone. The guy never finished a hole by putting out all day and then has the balls to say " shot a 77, not bad" at the end. Ya that 77 was 95 buddy,nice try.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I try to get a single quick 9 in every week when it is dead so I can get some good practice in. But when I start the old hackers are all finishing their round and grabbing a beer in the clubhouse so I try to stick around and talk to those guys before I go out to find a potential playing partner for later in the week.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

The advantage to being a single is that you are easy to fit in. If the course is crowded they will put you with the next available two or three and if it's not off you go on your own. That's been true everywhere that I've lived which would be the Northeast, Midwest and Southeast.

I'd say that I play about 10 percent of my rounds as a single. I particularly like to use the local to my office 9 hole par 3 course for practice.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

... As an actor, I rarely know what my schedule will be like two days in advance. I have cancelled tee times one day in advance when a last minute audition shows up so I play a lot as a single. Unlike most others I prefer twilight golf and absolutely hate playing early in the morning. Nothing like coming up 18 with the sun starting to set and the myriad of colors in the sky.

... Golfnow is a godsend for a single and I use it often. There are several courses in my area that I really enjoy so I just call and see if there is a chance a single can get out and the answer is usually "yea, com'on out". Nothing worse than showing up without calling to find there is an outing/tourney that day. I am always amazed at how cool people that play golf really are. I would guess about 80% of the people I get paired up with make for a fun round. 15% not so much and another 5% that are just miserable to play with.

... Out in LA I played 30 days in a row twice last season in March and again in May and one day two guys greet me on the first tee like this "We are two rich Jews and our CC is closed today so we are slumming at a muni so don't slow us down". I was walking with my remote cart and they were in a riding cart but I was always waiting on them. One in his early 50's and the other his dad. They threw clubs, cursed after every poor shot, dropped balls and played extra's and rarely had anything to say to me. I shot 2 under on the front and they quit after 9. Thankfully people like this are very rare.

I prefer to play late in the day also. I love the calm of sunset over the course.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

If you live were I do and it's not a league night. You usually have the place to yourself.

I did try to play some courses in the Newport News/VA Beach area and they weren't very thrilled that I wanted to play alone.

- Da Yooper

@og_shankster (instagram)

I've got a couple of courses nearby that I can usually play solo in the mornings, either by starting on the back nine or jumping into the course where there's a gap between groups.

I play the courses often enough, I've got my own cart key at one of them and just ask where they want me to start at the other.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I have been finding golfnow makes it easier for me to book rounds to play as a single. During July/August, I can play anytime I want (being a high school teacher of course). That means I either browse the golfnow tee times and a) grab a slot that has 1, 2 or 3 slots available to play with others or B) find one with 4 and play alone, there's always lots of options. At a few of our local courses I have called ahead and joined up with others. But I hate doing this because I end up paying full price. 

Personally I have enjoyed playing as a single, but I also have had issues being paired up with people. As we have all stated, most are very nice, but there seems to be a thought process that if you play alone you must "good." Since I was almost a beginner last year, that was a bit more pressure than I usually wanted. 

And then the slightly embarrassing things happen, like getting paired up with a high school student from a rival school who shoots 73 from the tips and just dusts you. Nice kid though

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I only go out alone if I'm playing a couple holes or want to work on some things. Recommend getting involved in your state Golf Association and signing up for some evening events. The game is a lot more fun when you can spend the hours with some people you like.

Usually play with my wife and we try to hit before the official tee times.

We can't stand slow play, so we just rush through it :D

But as a single, I've never had trouble finding a group that will take me in.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I play as a single probably 80 percent of the time and I make sure I'm the first to go out in the morning or I play 2 balls just just enjoy myself and relax. I have the mindset that I know I will catch up to somebody and just to go with it. Clubs around me are pretty cool if I ask if I can get out about 5 minutes ahead of the first group and they will never see me again. It usually works but a couple of weeks ago I was paired up with this elderly couple at Conestoga Golf Course in mesquite and I asked if I could get ahead if this them, well the Pro shop told me they played quickly but I thought no way could they push me. I was wrong. I don't know how the got those old bodies moving so fast but they were behind me on every shot. We played 18 holes in 2 hrs 10 minutes, and that's the last time I underestimate an elderly couple who says they wanna play fast.

18 holes in two hours ten minutes? That's not golf that's polo on carts.

Driver: PXG 0811XF 10.5 Regular flex

3W Cleveland HiBore XLS

3-5H: Callaway Steelhead XR

6I-AW Srixon ZX4 MKII

SW and LW Kirkland Signature (V2)

Putter: TaylorMade Rosa Monte Carlo

Ball: OnCore Elixer

I live in a small town so the two courses I play I can walk on pretty much whenever. I like playing with my friends but I like to play single when I really want to practice.

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

I have played the majority of my rounds as a single for the past decade. Recently, my 9 year old daughter has started taging along and that has been a lot of fun.

I typically show up very early morning or late afternoon and get worked in on weekends. But I play most of my golf in the afternoons after work to decompress. I don't play too many weekends.

The majority of guys at my club drink to excess and I'm not interested in spending time around them. That plus having a stressful career that puts me in the local limelight makes playing as a single more enjoyable for me. Plus, I'm a cynical bastard and just don't like people in general. 😈

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm fortunate that I have many friends and family that play.  But sometimes it's nice to play with strangers, as its difficult to learn something new if you play with the same folks all the time.  I will however set out to play alone if there is a specific part of my game that needs attention.  That way I can hit multiple balls on specific shots without irritating anyone.

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

I played nine holes alone today for the first time since my heart issues started to ratchet up last summer.

I went to my club planning to practice but the course was empty so I took the practice out there. It was delightful!

I hit two or sometimes three balls on each hole without loosing one which is not easy at my club. It also gave me a chance to pit my gamer against a Kirkland and a Q star pro.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I went to my club planning to practice but the course was empty so I took the practice out there. It was delightful!

I hit two or sometimes three balls on each hole without loosing one which is not easy at my club. It also gave me a chance to pit my gamer against a Kirkland and a Q star pro.

I do the same thing at my club. Since it's a small town, the chances of being the only one or it being slow are usually high. I always play two balls, Chromesoft and whatever ball I'm comparing that to at the moment.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I'm fortunate enough that 90% of my group of friends play golf so our issue is making enough tee times.

When I lived in Seattle I played as a single frequently. Easy to walk onto a course and get right out. Met a lot of great people and was able to network through golf.

Sent from my VS990 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: 10.5° XR with Aldila Rogue Silver 60

:cleveland-small:  15° HiBore XLS with Fujikura Gold

:titelist-small:  19° 913H with Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana S+

:titelist-small: 24° 913H with Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana S+

:ping-small:  5-PW Ping i25 with KBS Tour Stiff Steel

:ping-small:  50° Glide SS Wedge with CFS Wedge

:ping-small: 55° Glide SS Wedge (Back-Heel Combo Grind) with CFS Wedge

:ping-small:  60° Glide SS Wedge with CFS Wedge

:callaway-small:  Odyssey Works Tank Versa 2-Ball Fang

Golf Pride MCC Plus4 Grips +2" 

The last few years I would say 80% of my rounds were solo.My outlook never changes if i play in a group or solo.Goal is to best old man par and play the course.Ive even tried a few fun solo formats of best ball.One game is to play your worst shot all the way to the finish.

Keep it in the short stuff

I worked as a Ranger this morning, then, after lunch I played nine holes as a single....BUT....I hit 4 balls and played a one man Scramble. Finished nine at 3 under......but I was tired, as that is the equivalent of playing 9 holes 4 times, or 36 holes. Our course was slow today so nobody was behind me and I could take my time.....played in 2 hours 15 minutes......

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I have played as a single several times during the weekend and have met some good friends doing so.   I simply head up to the starter and ask him to hook me up with somebody.  I can honestly say there are very few that I would not play with again. I have my regular group during the week days and we play Tuesday & Thursday each week. I have encouraged some of the guys I've met as a single on the weekends to join us during the week and it has worked great!  I would encourage single golfers to not be shy and join in and run with it. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Some of my best golfing buddies were a result of going out as a single. I got paired with Mark in 2005 and we played together every weekend, at a different course in the metroplex, for three years. I encourage everyone to just get out there and play. You never know who you'll meet.

And Foz, that's a great idea. I have honestly never thought to play a 4 ball one man scramble, and my course out here is often empty enough to allow me to do so. I'll definitely try it with a cart though!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

I have no friends :(....friends that golf anyways here in NJ.  I don't mind playing by myself or get paired with others as long as I get to play I am happy.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I play as a single mother during the week if I can squeeze out some time, and I agree most are nice but every once in a while I get paired up with some real winners, when that happens I tend to stay Focused on my game and shut out whatever distractions may be in my group.

Either way it still beats work!

I tend to play with friends and rarely played as a single. But the times I've had, I definitely enjoyed it. Don't feel awkward about calling up to play though, you've paid for your greens fee just like everyone else has. Enjoy the game, enjoy the company and have fun!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I have no friends :(....friends that golf anyways here in NJ.  I don't mind playing by myself or get paired with others as long as I get to play I am happy.

Based on your response in the Boring Golfer thread, I would be very happy to play with you anytime!!  Sounds like fun.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've been surprised to read how many of you play alone so much. I can't even recall the last time I played by myself. Not even 9 holes. The only times I do play alone will be for perhaps 4-holes of practice. My course makes a nice little 4-hole loop where I can play a 5,4,3,4 par returning back at the clubhouse. I do that off and on during the golf season perhaps once every week or two.

I suppose I'm fortunate to have a steady group of guys to play with on the weekends and some that will go play a quick 9 at the drop of a hat. In the middle of summer we've even played 18 late in the afternoon around 5:30-6 when the sunlight lasts till about nine.

Playing alone is fine if that's all someone's particular circumstances allow. But I prefer playing with at least one other and the competition.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Archived