GolfSpy Stroker

Playing as a single

I have been finding golfnow makes it easier for me to book rounds to play as a single. During July/August, I can play anytime I want (being a high school teacher of course). That means I either browse the golfnow tee times and a) grab a slot that has 1, 2 or 3 slots available to play with others or B) find one with 4 and play alone, there's always lots of options. At a few of our local courses I have called ahead and joined up with others. But I hate doing this because I end up paying full price. 

Personally I have enjoyed playing as a single, but I also have had issues being paired up with people. As we have all stated, most are very nice, but there seems to be a thought process that if you play alone you must "good." Since I was almost a beginner last year, that was a bit more pressure than I usually wanted. 

And then the slightly embarrassing things happen, like getting paired up with a high school student from a rival school who shoots 73 from the tips and just dusts you. Nice kid though

• Like 2

I only go out alone if I'm playing a couple holes or want to work on some things. Recommend getting involved in your state Golf Association and signing up for some evening events. The game is a lot more fun when you can spend the hours with some people you like.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Usually play with my wife and we try to hit before the official tee times.

We can't stand slow play, so we just rush through it :D

But as a single, I've never had trouble finding a group that will take me in.

• Like 1

I play as a single probably 80 percent of the time and I make sure I'm the first to go out in the morning or I play 2 balls just just enjoy myself and relax. I have the mindset that I know I will catch up to somebody and just to go with it. Clubs around me are pretty cool if I ask if I can get out about 5 minutes ahead of the first group and they will never see me again. It usually works but a couple of weeks ago I was paired up with this elderly couple at Conestoga Golf Course in mesquite and I asked if I could get ahead if this them, well the Pro shop told me they played quickly but I thought no way could they push me. I was wrong. I don't know how the got those old bodies moving so fast but they were behind me on every shot. We played 18 holes in 2 hrs 10 minutes, and that's the last time I underestimate an elderly couple who says they wanna play fast.

18 holes in two hours ten minutes? That's not golf that's polo on carts.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

I live in a small town so the two courses I play I can walk on pretty much whenever. I like playing with my friends but I like to play single when I really want to practice.

• Like 1

I have played the majority of my rounds as a single for the past decade. Recently, my 9 year old daughter has started taging along and that has been a lot of fun.

I typically show up very early morning or late afternoon and get worked in on weekends. But I play most of my golf in the afternoons after work to decompress. I don't play too many weekends.

The majority of guys at my club drink to excess and I'm not interested in spending time around them. That plus having a stressful career that puts me in the local limelight makes playing as a single more enjoyable for me. Plus, I'm a cynical bastard and just don't like people in general. 😈

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I'm fortunate that I have many friends and family that play.  But sometimes it's nice to play with strangers, as its difficult to learn something new if you play with the same folks all the time.  I will however set out to play alone if there is a specific part of my game that needs attention.  That way I can hit multiple balls on specific shots without irritating anyone.

I played nine holes alone today for the first time since my heart issues started to ratchet up last summer.

I went to my club planning to practice but the course was empty so I took the practice out there. It was delightful!

I hit two or sometimes three balls on each hole without loosing one which is not easy at my club. It also gave me a chance to pit my gamer against a Kirkland and a Q star pro.

I went to my club planning to practice but the course was empty so I took the practice out there. It was delightful!

I hit two or sometimes three balls on each hole without loosing one which is not easy at my club. It also gave me a chance to pit my gamer against a Kirkland and a Q star pro.

I do the same thing at my club. Since it's a small town, the chances of being the only one or it being slow are usually high. I always play two balls, Chromesoft and whatever ball I'm comparing that to at the moment.

• Like 1

I'm fortunate enough that 90% of my group of friends play golf so our issue is making enough tee times.

When I lived in Seattle I played as a single frequently. Easy to walk onto a course and get right out. Met a lot of great people and was able to network through golf.

Sent from my VS990 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The last few years I would say 80% of my rounds were solo.My outlook never changes if i play in a group or solo.Goal is to best old man par and play the course.Ive even tried a few fun solo formats of best ball.One game is to play your worst shot all the way to the finish.

I worked as a Ranger this morning, then, after lunch I played nine holes as a single....BUT....I hit 4 balls and played a one man Scramble. Finished nine at 3 under......but I was tired, as that is the equivalent of playing 9 holes 4 times, or 36 holes. Our course was slow today so nobody was behind me and I could take my time.....played in 2 hours 15 minutes......

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

I have played as a single several times during the weekend and have met some good friends doing so.   I simply head up to the starter and ask him to hook me up with somebody.  I can honestly say there are very few that I would not play with again. I have my regular group during the week days and we play Tuesday & Thursday each week. I have encouraged some of the guys I've met as a single on the weekends to join us during the week and it has worked great!  I would encourage single golfers to not be shy and join in and run with it. 

• Like 2

Some of my best golfing buddies were a result of going out as a single. I got paired with Mark in 2005 and we played together every weekend, at a different course in the metroplex, for three years. I encourage everyone to just get out there and play. You never know who you'll meet.

And Foz, that's a great idea. I have honestly never thought to play a 4 ball one man scramble, and my course out here is often empty enough to allow me to do so. I'll definitely try it with a cart though!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I have no friends :(....friends that golf anyways here in NJ.  I don't mind playing by myself or get paired with others as long as I get to play I am happy.

• Like 2

I play as a single mother during the week if I can squeeze out some time, and I agree most are nice but every once in a while I get paired up with some real winners, when that happens I tend to stay Focused on my game and shut out whatever distractions may be in my group.

Either way it still beats work!

I tend to play with friends and rarely played as a single. But the times I've had, I definitely enjoyed it. Don't feel awkward about calling up to play though, you've paid for your greens fee just like everyone else has. Enjoy the game, enjoy the company and have fun!

MDGolfHacker

I have no friends :(....friends that golf anyways here in NJ.  I don't mind playing by myself or get paired with others as long as I get to play I am happy.

Based on your response in the Boring Golfer thread, I would be very happy to play with you anytime!!  Sounds like fun.

I've been surprised to read how many of you play alone so much. I can't even recall the last time I played by myself. Not even 9 holes. The only times I do play alone will be for perhaps 4-holes of practice. My course makes a nice little 4-hole loop where I can play a 5,4,3,4 par returning back at the clubhouse. I do that off and on during the golf season perhaps once every week or two.

I suppose I'm fortunate to have a steady group of guys to play with on the weekends and some that will go play a quick 9 at the drop of a hat. In the middle of summer we've even played 18 late in the afternoon around 5:30-6 when the sunlight lasts till about nine.

Playing alone is fine if that's all someone's particular circumstances allow. But I prefer playing with at least one other and the competition.