Sign in to follow this  
Shankster

Has YouTube made you better or worse?

My coach told me, "You watch too many videos!" I haven't watched any since. There are SO many philosophies about the swing and it was way too easy to watch different ones and then meld them into a pile of crap. No more for me, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I bet things have been easier and better since you've stopped!!

• Like 1

Peter Finch just posted his second annual used club buying for a match with him and Rick. Golfbidder gives them $500 in credit to build a bag of used gear that they use in an 18 hole match. Last year was entertaining.

I just finished that one on Sunday. Entertaining. I watch Shiels, Crossfield and Finch for entertainment. I prefer Crossfield's club reviews to Shiels'.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

The YouTube videos I watch on golf are taking with a grain of salt, there more to remind me of the basics.

Rick Sheiles and Peter Finch my favorites.

• Like 1

Personally I will admit that I have used YouTube to help with swing fixes. That being said going to a coach has been much more beneficial. Although I want to improve, I golf for the enjoyment of the sport and to get outside! Trying to tweak something all the time just seems to take the fun out of it and makes my game worsez

Equipment reviews I do love watching! Great way to get a decent opinion on what may be worth trying out!

• Like 1

In January, I discovered Shawn Clement''s YouTube channel  I watched a few of the videos and started doing some of the drills.  His approach clicked with me.  I wondered why I hadn't found his approach years ago.  It fits with the way I learn.  His philosophy on learning a swing really helped me.  My playing partners have certainly noticed the improvement in my game.  

What I like about Shawn's approach is that the videos fit together.  There is a basic approach running through all the videos.  There is no "do this to fix this problem."  He starts with how the swing is the same as tossing a ball, using a grass whip (which I have used on the farm), hitting a tennis ball, etc.  The analogies really help me to know I am doing something right.  The balance drills have really helped and I find I swing with more confidence and a lot fewer out of balance swings.

While the process series has been great, the mental side of the game has probably been the most helpful.  I have been accused of "paralysis by analysis" in the past.  The approach Shawn goes over in the videos has helped me get out of my head and into playing golf--I am moving away from playing the golf swing to playing the course.  

Shawn has helped me.  YMMV.  

I think the key to the videos is that they are integrated into an overall approach.  Sometimes they get a little boring because of the repetition--I saw him talk about X in four other videos.  But, the approach works for me.

As for other videos, I am done looking for quick fixes.  They remind me too much of some of the pros I've taken lessons from--they give me a bandaid when I needed major surgery.  

• Like 1

nice write up! Thank you!

This is a very interesting question.

A lot of instructors are producing content that is well intended but each and every golfer has a unique swing with many quirks (especially amateurs) and so a tip that is applicable to one golfer may not be for another.

Most amatuer golfers (including myself) aren't capable of filtering out the useful stuff for them.

I think there is a lot to learn from YouTube if you have a decent understanding of your swing and know what to look for.

• Like 1

I would say it's definitely made me better. As much as there can be a lot of differing information, you know your on to good info when you see multiple reputable sources mentioning it.

The tough part is applying the information on your own due to the "feel does not equal real" issue.

• Like 1

Yes and NO.. I watch different things and look at it realistically and whether or not it might work for me. try it a little if I see the potential than great if not good by.. 

• Like 1