TESTERS WANTED! ×

Srixon Releases New 3-Piece Q-STAR Tour Ball

I think I will give this ball a try. I'm currently using the Bridgestone E6 and have been liking it, but have been putting a fair bit of time into reading about different balls and trying to determine what might be better for me.

The biggest thing for me is that the balls that seem to fit what I want are made for players with much lower swing speeds than me. I average 105 with the driver.

Open to any suggestions anyone has.

Srixon Z545 Driver

Cleveland Classic 5 wood

Cleveland Mashie #3 Hybrid

Srixon H45 #4 Hybrid

Srixon Z-565 irons (5-PW)

Cleveland RTX 2.0 wedges (48° & 56°)

Cleveland CBX 60° wedge

Cleveland TFi Cero putter

Srixon Z-Star XV

I'm going to put this new ball in play tomorrow morning. (or maybe this evening for a quick 9) This will be my very first time to play a Srixon ball.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

... This will be interesting as I love Srixon balls going back to the UR-X and currently play the Z Star. But I have not had much success with these kinds of balls. Bridgestone RX and Duo Urethane just did not provide the same kind of aggressive green side spin as premium tour balls. They both performed like a tour ball from tee to green for me, but even though the green side spin was good, it just wasn't what I am used to. I hope the Q Star Tour is different. 

You know I feel the same as you do on the RX and the B-330 series. Now I loved the Treo Soft which they do not make any more. For some reason I can spin the crap out of the E-6 and like the feel off the wedges and putter. All Duos felt clicky off the putter to me. Do not laugh but I love the Bstone lady balls especially with the persimmon and blades

Srixon I always liked their stuff too. I had issues peeling the early Z Stars but that may be due to the clubs I was playing at the time. I was doing some R&D for Infiniti and I do not think those irons had conforming grooves. I did like the Soft Feels. That new  Q Star at that price range and 4 piece too has got my attention since they have never had any Kirkland balls here. I was lucky a friend of mine on WRX from Florida sent me a sleeve to try and I liked them. I will get me a dozen and take for a spin

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

... I think I will finally be cleared to play in about a week when I see my Ortho again. I have never taken more than two months off as I always go to the PGA show and play a week or so in Orlando and of course we have domes here for winter swing maintenance. But this torn labrum has me not hitting a ball since early Oct!?! 7 months without hitting a ball is driving me crazy. 2016 Z Star was my favorite ball last year and I have 4 dozen of the 2017 Z Star ready when the Doc says so. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Ready and waiting for you when you make it back to town.

This man knows of what he speaks!!

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

CG2:

Thanks! Maybe put it into play next Wednesday during league and play the B330-RX's the following week to see how it stacks up.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I purchased trial packs of the 2017 Q Star $10 for half a dozen from local Golf Galaxy and was able to put them in play last week. From my one round experience with the ball, I was very pleased as to how these balls performed tee to green. Love the the soft feel off the face of the putter and my irons. Distance was on par with my gamers the Snell MTB and a tad behind the Kirkland Signature balls. I think the Q Stars will definitely be one of my go to balls for this year and at $29 it's a good price for 3 piece urethane ball with a softer feel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I'm disappointed today with the new Q-Star. I just didn't like the feel. I played 18 this morning with one ball. Went back out for an emergency 18 and switched to a Titleist PV1. (just because it's what I pulled out when I reached in my bag.) I've got a good assortment of balls in my bag including MG Tour C4, Ksig, ChromeSoft, etc. Personally I'd prefer any of these over the Q-Star. I really expected the QS to feel more like a Chrome Soft I suppose. I've got 11 of these to get rid of now.

Distance - no better or worse.

Overall Feel - slightly firm

Driver Spin - Ok it seemed

Wedge Spin - Ok

Driver/Iron ball flight - normal for me

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

I think I will give this ball a try. I'm currently using the Bridgestone E6 and have been liking it, but have been putting a fair bit of time into reading about different balls and trying to determine what might be better for me.

The biggest thing for me is that the balls that seem to fit what I want are made for players with much lower swing speeds than me. I average 105 with the driver.

Open to any suggestions anyone has.

I swing around the same speed. The lines that ball companies feed you about swing speed and golf ball fitting many people think are rubbish. A softball you can compress more, it usually results in (marginally) less spin. Do some driver testing with a few balls, you will probably find, as I have, that distance is fairly consistent no matter which ball you use. It depends on your feel with your clubs and other factors. I have hit chrome softs farther than pro v1x's, swing speed is not as important as you have been led to believe. 

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I swing around the same speed. The lines that ball companies feed you about swing speed and golf ball fitting many people think are rubbish. A softball you can compress more, it usually results in (marginally) less spin. Do some driver testing with a few balls, you will probably find, as I have, that distance is fairly consistent no matter which ball you use. It depends on your feel with your clubs and other factors. I have hit chrome softs farther than pro v1x's, swing speed is not as important as you have been led to believe. 

think you're on to something there, coach. Bridgestone says the B330/330S is for 105 MPH and up, and the RX/RXS versions are for sub-105 -- but when I went to a fitting at Bridgestone down in Georgia, the B330 worked best for me and my paltry 99/100 SS that day.  Used that ball almost exclusively last year and loved it.  

Haven't fully settled on a ball this year, but will most likely be a mix of the B330, Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV and Q-Star Tour -- gamed that thing in Florida and was very happy with its performance. I have some Snell's that I'll game too -- we'll see what happens when the current stash is fed to the Monarchs of the Forest or the Ladies of the Lakes.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Two rounds in and I am pretty satisfied with its performance, the Q Star spun less with a lower flight vs the Z Stars for me which I don't like prefer a higher flight, but it might of been my off day. Just a all around good feeling ball.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

RevKev - so was the 3 yard difference because of the ball itself or environmental factors like wind or where it landed etc? Srixon definitely looks like it has a winner with this one...

MDGolfHacker

Hard to tell yet I'm a tad longer with the Pro VIx off the driver pretty consistently though.

As advertised I'm a bit longer with the mid irons/hybrids with the Srixon so it's a wash.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

think you're on to something there, coach. Bridgestone says the B330/330S is for 105 MPH and up, and the RX/RXS versions are for sub-105 -- but when I went to a fitting at Bridgestone down in Georgia, the B330 worked best for me and my paltry 99/100 SS that day. Used that ball almost exclusively last year and loved it.

Haven't fully settled on a ball this year, but will most likely be a mix of the B330, Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV and Q-Star Tour -- gamed that thing in Florida and was very happy with its performance. I have some Snell's that I'll game too -- we'll see what happens when the current stash is fed to the Monarchs of the Forest or the Ladies of the Lakes.

Same thing with me last summer. I was visiting in KY and my buddy and I happened upon the B testing at the course we were playing. After several different shots Thad B guy said my swing was best with the 330 nit the 339RX. He said the 330 was definite straighter, guess it had to do with spin.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I just played my first 9 hole round with the Srixon Q-star tour today. Was playing 2 balls, rotating through the e6 soft, duo spin and q-star. Much preferred the q-star to the other two. It's ability to stick on the green was excellent, and like 808 I enjoyed a better flight than with the other two. I though the e6 was solid off of longer clubs, but I didn't have a lot to like about the duo's. Really high ball flight, not great spin, those don't seem like they are for me. 

With the price of this ball, this might be the new gamer. 

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Played them today, first round of the year temp was mid 40s and a stitch of wind. Ball felt nice off driver and irons. Putting felt different than my usual ball (prov1x), probably more a sound issue than actual feel. Hope to try the Q star again when it warms up and I can put more of a swing on it.

Driver - Titleist 913D3 8.75 loft,

3-wood Ping G30, 

5 wood Cobra baffler,

hybrid Callaway X2hot 22,

Mizuno MP-H5 4 iron, Mizuno JPX900 tour 5-PW KBS tour 120 stiff,

Wedges - Cleveland RTX 588 54, Cobra  58 Versatile,

Putter - Taylormade Monte Carlo OS CB.

• 4 weeks later...

Played with the Srixon Q-Star today. May have been last year's model, though.

Overall, didn't like it. I really rely on a solid drive as my long irons are bad and mid irons are not very accurate. So a long drive usually gets my between a 7 iron or SW into most greens I play.

Couldn't keep the Q-Star straight today. And even my best drive today was over 30 meters shorter than my longest yesterday which was with a Bridgestone E7.

Could have just been how I was hitting today, but just seemed to spin way too much off the driver for me.

In fairness, they had a very nice feel and flight off the irons/wedges and held the greens very nicely when I hit them.

Srixon Z545 Driver

Cleveland Classic 5 wood

Srixon H45 #4 Hybrid

Cleveland CBX 60° wedge

Srixon Z-Star XV

Played with the Srixon Q-Star today. May have been last year's model, though.

Confirmed I was playing with an older model Q-Star, not the new "tour" model... I will give the tour version a try before writing them off.

Srixon Z545 Driver

Cleveland Classic 5 wood

Srixon H45 #4 Hybrid

Cleveland CBX 60° wedge

Srixon Z-Star XV

I was at my fitter yesterday trying out a few clubs and they had some of these balls sitting around in one of their rooms. I was really impressed with how they felt and the numbers I was getting off of them. I may need to pick up a dozen and try them out.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

We are having a Srixon ball fitting at our course tomorrow afternoon.  I'll definitely head out there (armed with my new 565/765) and see what it comes up with for me.  I used to be a dedicated Z-Star player, tried the XV a few years back and couldn't hit it well.  I have tried both the Q Star Tour and Soft Feel this year.  Didn't really play either long enough to get a good reading on them, so I'm looking forward to tomorrow. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

My last post on April 15 I said I was disappointed with the QS. Haven't touched one since. Maybe it wasn't warm enough or something. (although probably in the 80's)  Tomorrow I'll play and the forecast calls for 101. That ought to be warm enough.

I'll give the ball one more try before I ditch the entire dozen.

I am looking at giving the new ones a shot this year.

I got my 1st hole in one, the year the first QStar come out.

I am just digging the TP 5 at the moment.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

• 1 month later...

This ball is legit.

Awesome feel

Solid distance

Hop and stop spin

I completely agree! I swapped this out on the advice of the assistant pro at my club and after the first round I told him I owed him lunch!  I had been playing ProV1 and was thinking of trying the Bridgestone 330 Tour ball but this ball fits my game SO much better. Greenside spin is great and it holds its line very well in the wind, which is a must for me here in Southeast Texas.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

A heads up to everyone to keep any eye out for Srixon Ball Fittimgs in your area. At these you have a chance to try them out and buy them at 50% off. So that's a dozen Q Star Tours for $10. That's insane.

LOL CG2 nice avatar 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Honestly this ball is awesome for the mid to high handicapper, especially at the price point!

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

LOL CG2 nice avatar

Lol I thought so. I stole it with TSauer's blessing.

Archived