TESTERS WANTED! ×

MYGOLFSPY MASTER GOLF BALL REVIEW THREAD

The Dansome

On 3/21/2020 at 2:35 PM, chisag said:

... Here is a sample of some "classic" balls I have found 30 yards short of other drives when searching for my pards balls in the woods., I am not sure how many times Big Stu has played in Chicago but at least 1/2 of them just have to be his. 😜

295885080_Balataballs.jpg.113b802a27b49aa65180cdb5c8bcad1f.jpg

Sam I would agree but I don't see any MacGregor balls with Hogan cores in them 😜

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Brx.jpg.def5ec0947ee274215a4a747dc0d56d2.jpg

The Player

Current gamer - TaylorMade TP5x

Handicap  - +0.7

7 iron distance with current ball - 160 yd

Trajectory - Mid/High

Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

The Ball

Bridgestone B-RX - 2020

Distance - Maybe a hair shorter?

Trajectory - Mid/High

Spin - High Spin

Feel - Medium/Soft

Durability  - Best Ever!

Rating - Outstanding performance and durability

Notes:

- I find it just a hair shorter with all clubs

- Performed well in the wind, but not quite as good as my TP5x 

- Softer feel but similar performance as any premium ball I have played

- I like the minimal graphics approach with just a big B and a red number

- Only played 3 rounds with this ball but durability is the best I have ever seen. Ball looks almost new after 18 holes. #2 ball on the left after 18 holes compared to new unused #4 ball on the right in the picture.

- Previous RX balls have never spun enough around the greens but this ball spins almost as much as my TP5x and the first RX ball I have found playable for my short game style. 

- I have played in strong winds all 3 rounds so not sure about distance until I can play in some benign conditions. My gut tells me it is just a hair shorter than my TP5x, like less than 5 yds off the driver and a couple yards shorter with my irons. Since the TP5x is a firmer ball, I'm not sure how much I like the softer feel of the B-RX but it certainly is not too soft. It is hard to argue with the durability and those of you that don't start every round with a new ball will be ecstatic with the durability of the B-RX. My initial impression is it will not replace the TP5x as my gamer, but after some practice rounds in less windy conditions where I can compare them side by side, I reserve the right to change my mind.  
  •  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

• 3 weeks later...

The player:
Current gamer - Srixon Z Star
Handicap or Ave score - 13/90
7 iron carry distance with current ball - 165
Trajectory - High
Putter - Cleveland Huntington Beach 1 

The ball: Srixon ZStar 2020

Distance - Same
Trajectory - High
Spin - Suck Back
Feel - Firm
Durability (1 round) - scuffed but payable
Rating - Gamer

Notes or writeup:
I bought these as part of the Father's Day BOGO sale Srixon was running. I split 4 dozen with a buddy and noticed an immediate difference in the amount of spin we were both getting around the greens. I had never seen my buddy get any spin on an iron shot and noticed it with these balls. I was playing a Callaway Hex Soft or K-Sig but after listening to "No Putts Given" and reading the 2019 buyer guide, decided to make the switch to a better golf ball. After the immediate results I experienced, I think I would only consider playing either Pro V1s, Snell MTBX, Bridgestone Tour B X, Srizon ZStar and TaylorMade TP5X as they seem to be the best combination of quality and performance. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/26/2019 at 11:21 PM, Thin2win said:

The ball : Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Wilson 's newest 60 compression urethane golf ball. 

Current gamer : Ksig

Distance
Distance for irons, wedges, putters woods is exactly what I expect it to be, more or less within the same as the ksig. I think for my woods specifically, it is the best distance ball I've ever hit. 

For my driver, I lose 23 on average, thanks to shot scope keeping track of these things for me. Which.... Is really odd. I haven't used this ball on a launch monitor, but I have a guess as to what might be going on. I have pretty low driver spin normally, I struggle to get above 2k rpm, and normally I'm in the 1500-1800 range. I think this ball is so good at lowering driver spin that I'm probably in the 800-1200 range and it just falls out of the sky on me. 

Trajectory - mid
Same as my current ball. 

Spin

Hop & stop - high spin but not coming back 5 feet
It has noticeably less spin than the ksigs on iron and wedge shots. To compare I hit some full 120y wedges onto a green, ksigs pulled back 5-7 feet, Wilson pulled back 5-7 inches. 

Feel - soft
It feels great, not mushy, not clicky, really the ball feels great. 

Durability (3 rounds) - like new. The only mark on it was from a drive landing on a cart path. And even that is minimal and came on the first of 3 rounds. Durability seems excellent. 

Rating
Gamer - maybe. I'm very conflicted about this ball. I love everything about it except my drive distance. I'm actually averaging 3 more yards with my 5 wood as opposed to my driver with this ball... But I'm scoring great. I'm also playing it in HI-Vis green, and it that alone has made golf more pleasant this winter. It is so easy to spot from anywhere, I think I could see it on the moon. Finding it plugged hasn't been a problem at all. With the ksig, I'm often hunting for them this time of year. I haven't had to look for this ball at all this winter. Incredibly nice. 

Notes or writeup
I love this ball, but I'm not sure my ego will let me play it only because of my driver distance loss. I'd highly recommend trying this ball. If you want to lower your driver spin, I think it could really help. It feels great, it's easy to spot and is very durable. If you already have low driver spin... Maybe you like hitting your 5 wood further than your driver anyway and this will be perfect. 

20190126_144150.jpg

20190126_141541.jpg

20190126_145050.jpg

I'll say right away, I realize I'm replying and quoting a post that's a year and a half old.  😁

So, getting on with it....  I started playing these last year, and found similar to what you did, distance with all clubs was quite lovely, but I found I was hitting the ball shorter off the tee than the Snell MTB Black I'd been hitting.  Was puzzled at first, and hadn't been paying close attention.

Discovered (because i actually started paying attention) it's the trajectory and/or spin.  The ball was flattening and flying significantly lower than the MTB Black.  I decided to bump the loft of the driver I was playing at the time (Fast 12 LS) by a degree, and started getting similar tee game distance to what I'd been seeing with the Snell.

This is anecdotal and on course observation, so precision measure isn't possible, but I was in the same places on holes that I'd been visiting with the MTB, following the driver loft tweak.

Adding a last comment, the wind performance of this ball is remarkable.  It's not moved nearly as much laterally by side breezes/winds compared to other balls.

TLDR version:  bump your driver a degree or more loft than what you had been playing, the distance will come back.

The about me, for those who might care...  I'm a 7.x index.  A former 110+ swinger who's probably in the 107 range these days.  Was an rather high trajectory/spin player (7* driver, 20* & 7000+ with 5i) until a year with Eye2+ skyballs taught me to bring it down (and now age/injury also "helping" that).  My 7 iron distance these days is low 160s with MP37s.

Edited by NRJyzr
Fat fingers on a tablet

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

• 4 weeks later...

Adding a short Duo Pro update for @Thin2win and anyone else who might care...

Made a slight change in my driver, plugging a shaft in my Fly-Z+ that's a half inch longer than I'd been playing, and bumped the loft one click above standard.  Found myself hitting tee shots like I hadn't hit in a few years.  Nearly drove the short par 4 12th at my course twice this week, as one example.

Point being, if you account for the spin and lower trajectory, it's definitely not a short ball.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

• 3 weeks later...

Kirkland Performance+ 3 Piece

Kirkland Signature Performance Plus - Lost Golf Balls

The player

Current gamer - Kirkland and Seed 001

Handicap  -17.4

7 iron distance with current ball - 150m

Trajectory - High

Putter - Callaway Warbird

The ball

Kirkland Performance+

Distance - Same

Trajectory - High

Spin - High Spin

Feel - Medium/firm

Durability (1 round) - Ok

Rating - Good substitute but prefer the Seed for durability

Notes:

- I found them about 10m shorter with driver - not a great deal of difference with irons.

- Too much spin can be an issue with with 8-AW. However chipping is great as long as you allow for the spin.

- Surprising good in the wind.

- Great performance considering the cost.

- Durability is the only issue. Happy if I can get 1 round out of a ball. Chances are I will loose it within 18 holes. I have bladed them many times and have not seen any issues with damaging the cover. However If I hit a full blown PW from 120M it looks like I have run a file down the ball.

- Has a great putt alignment mark.

- Quality, is ok considering the price.

I really like the Seed 001, it is pretty much the same as a Pro V1 but at 2/3rds the price. However they can sometimes be hard to get as only 1 shop close to me sells them. I nowadays play golf for the enjoyment and s*** stirring/conversation and are happy to play a ball that provides good performance and if I have a bad round and loose a few I do not care. One course we play is called Waterford Valley https://www.wvgolf.com.au/best-golf-course-melbourne and it is one of the best Public Courses in Melbourne but is has lots of water and pretty gnarly rough. Worst Day I have had, I lost 5 balls however a mate had a shocker and lost 11 one day. Mind you more than half were balls we had found while looking for ours.  

Edited by Firebird

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

Bridgestone Tour B XS

Late to this party, but eff it. I'm new here. If there's already a B XS review, then apologies in advance. Just wanted to throw my .02 in for my experience. 

The player:
Current gamer - Pro V1X
Handicap or Ave score - 14.6
7 iron carry distance with current ball - 165
Trajectory - High
Putter - Evnroll ER5B, firm feel

The ball:
2020 Bridgestone Tour BXS

Distance - WAY better
Trajectory - Mid-High
Spin - 1 hop and stop on short iron approach, short roll out with mid/long irons
Feel - firm 
Durability  - Scuffed, but playable
Rating - Gamer!!!

Notes or writeup:
Figured I'd see what they hype was about and bought a dozen and played 4 rounds- 1 ball out of each sleeve per round. First- all of my distance, FIR, and GIR data came from my Arccos sensors.

Long Game- My drives averaged 27 yards further than my normal with the Pro V1X. I attribute that to my FIR averaging  64% (career best) over the 4 rounds I used the B XS. Mind blowing how your distance is better when landing the fairway instead of the rough...mental note taken. 

Irons and Approach- My GIR was more impressive at 78% over 4 rounds (career best), and my playing partners and I could see many of my shots 1 hop & stop on the greens. Even had one 9i spin back about 4 feet according to one of my partners. The feel off of the face to me was a firm, but pleasantly so. 

Short Game/Chipping- I felt very confident with my short game with the B XS on good swings. I had many chips and pitches check up solid, if I had distance control I probably would've had a career day. 

Putting- Even though my putter has a firm feel to it, it felt muted with this ball. Not in the mushy, not enough power kind of way. I was very impressed with my sudden distance control (an area I struggle with) on the 4 different courses I putted.

Since my little test run I've had 10 dozen more "fall into my lap", more importantly, this ball has found a very secure spot in my bag. Very impressed with it.  

Edited by Shank Aaron

Shank's Tentative 2024 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym Smoke Ai TD 9*/Ventus TR Blue 6X +1/D

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Paradym Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout- (almost time for a new set of something....)

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour (Until the SM10's drop)

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

Left Dash ALL DAY/14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

• 4 weeks later...

Penfold Hearts (New Release) 

The player:
Current gamer - Maxfli Tour X
Handicap or Ave score - 8.1
7 iron carry distance with current ball - 170 yds
Trajectory - high, too high. 
Putter - Scottt Newport 2 Mid slant, firm feel

The ball:
Penfold Hearts, 2020 

Distance - same, little more on driver, little less on wedges.
Trajectory - high
Spin - suck back, loads of spin on irons
Feel - firm
Durability (1 round) - scuffed but payable, I hit a cart path, but the cover held against wedges. 
Rating - Casual

Notes: 

These are a good ball, relying on nostalgia of Goldfinger. I bought a dozen of these and got a sleeve of the Dual Id along with it. Hearts have a firm cover, listed as surlyn on the package, and are much more durable as such. Huge spin on short shots, sucked a wedge back 30 feet from about 100 yds. They respond well off of the long clubs, and I didn't slice it or hook it like I have with some other DTC high spin balls. Definitely fun to play with, BUT BEWARE. In the spirit of the original match where Bond Dq's Goldfinger over his ball, the same thing happened to me. A rule stickler at my club looked them up, and despite saying on the box they conform, THEY ARE NOT ON THE USGA LIST. Joke's on me, but save these for a fun match with your buddies, dont try to play when when it really counts. 20200804_073050.jpg.e25dbbea3f1a0bc3181bc4dfd5e849bb.jpg

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

PENFOLD DUAL iD

The player:
Current gamer - Maxfli Tour X
Handicap or Ave score - 8.1
7 iron carry distance with current ball - 170 yds
Trajectory - high, too high. 
Putter - Scottt Newport 2 Mid slant, firm feel

The ball:
Penfold Dual iD, 2020 

Distance - less.
Trajectory - high
Spin - hop and stop
Feel - soft, very soft
Durability (1 round) - Poor. 3 balls for 18 holes. Cover pieces left behind on wedges and mid irons 
Rating - Casual

Notes: 

This is the second offering from the reimagined Penfold brand in 2020. It is a throwback to the brand's original Dual iD identification system with two numbers and symbols from playing cards. This is a standard DTC urethane ball that is very soft but has durability issues. They would probably be a great choice for persimmon woods, but they got chewed up very quickly when I played them. These are also not on the conforming list, so watch out in tournament play. The packaging was reminiscent of Vice balls, so I would imagine they are potentially contracted from the same or similar manufacturers. At $31 a dozen, they aren't going to break the bank, but some improvement is needed before I would game these. They are currently unavailable since the launch of the new Hearts, so maybe they are working on improvements. 

20200810_073835.jpg

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

• 3 weeks later...

The player:
Current gamer - Bridgestone Tour B RXS
Handicap or Ave score - +0.3
7 iron carry distance with current ball - 155 yds
Trajectory - mid
Putter - Taylormade Corza Ghost, medium/soft insert

The ball:
Kirkland Signature 3 pc Performance Plus, 2018?

Distance - less
Trajectory - low-mid
Spin - suck back
Feel - firm
Durability (1 round) - rough shape
Rating - Casual

Notes or writeup:
Great value ball, $24 for 24 golf balls is incredibly cheap for a urethane covered golf ball, the only problems were it scuffed very easily, it spun too much off the driver, and it did not spin as much around the greens compared to other tour balls. It is probably the highest spinning golf ball on full iron/wedge shots I have ever tried, but for some reason just didn't spin much around the greens. I spun one back about 25 feet with a full gap wedge, which is way more than I can do with my normal golf ball.

Edited by RobbyT
Forgot something

:cobra-small:Radspeed 10.5*

:titleist-small:TS 15* 3 Wood

:mizuno-small:CLK 19* Hybrid

:mizuno-small:JPX 900 Forged P-4 Irons

:titleist-small:SM7 52*&56* Wedges

:titleist-small:SM6 60* Wedge

:taylormade-small:Ghost Spider Putter

:bridgestone-small:Tour B XS

• 2 weeks later...

Would this be the correct thread for a Glow Ball review? I figure there may be other people out there playing twilight rounds and losing light before they finish like me and might be interested in how a few of the popular options perform? I am mainly testing for my own use and to send my parents some glow balls as they also tend to play twilight rounds and have tried to LED balls in the past and have not had a good experience with them. I have ordered the GlowV1's, the R&L Night Glow Balls from Amazon, and the Lite4Nite brand. If this is too gimmicky for this thread let me know and I will start a new post for those interested!

20201125_183256.jpg.347a93a103b79dd8d596f91bec1aab59.jpg

20201125_182917.jpg.84b1577eaa781e57897752e5e042e039.jpg20201125_183343.jpg.b697783cc0d11bbf0f2df82ebdf58c7a.jpg

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 9* MC Kuro Kago Silver 60 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 949X Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

7 hours ago, golfish! said:

Would this be the correct thread for a Glow Ball review? I figure there may be other people out there playing twilight rounds and losing light before they finish like me and might be interested in how a few of the popular options perform? I am mainly testing for my own use and to send my parents some glow balls as they also tend to play twilight rounds and have tried to LED balls in the past and have not had a good experience with them. I have ordered the GlowV1's, the R&L Night Glow Balls from Amazon, and the Lite4Nite brand. If this is too gimmicky for this thread let me know and I will start a new post for those interested!

20201125_183256.jpg.347a93a103b79dd8d596f91bec1aab59.jpg

20201125_182917.jpg.84b1577eaa781e57897752e5e042e039.jpg20201125_183343.jpg.b697783cc0d11bbf0f2df82ebdf58c7a.jpg

Seems fitting.  Post it up.  Curious about that Glow V1

On 11/26/2020 at 5:34 AM, Shankster said:

Seems fitting.  Post it up.  Curious about that Glow V1

Ok sounds good. Still waiting on the Nite4Lite balls to do a formal test on glow, feel, distance, and i will even cut one up of each to show everyone what the insides look like! Stay tuned.

Hybrids: sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 949X Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2020 at 7:56 PM, golfish! said:

Ok sounds good. Still waiting on the Nite4Lite balls to do a formal test on glow, feel, distance, and i will even cut one up of each to show everyone what the insides look like! Stay tuned.

@Shankster i started a new forum post for the glow balls reviews if you are still interested

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

• 3 months later...

The player:
Current gamer - Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
Handicap or Ave score - 3.9
7 iron carry distance with current ball - 155y
Trajectory - high
Putter - Taylor Made/Spider X Chalk/Pure Roll insert - I would consider it a medium insert

The ball:
Snell MTBx - Yellow 2020

Distance - Similar
Trajectory - high (similar here as well, I hit the ball high)
Spin - hop & stop (this is a bit different from the Pro V1, which seems to spin a little more, especially in the summer)
Feel - I would call it a Firm with soft feel similar to Pro V1
Durability (1 round) - this is a tough one because I spin the ball. Most of the time I would say like new, but some times I can scuff the yellow paint just a little. Nothing that I feel would affect ball flight.
Rating - Gamer

Notes or writeup:
I really like the Snell MTBx and gamed it all summer in 2019 and most of 2020. I like to play the yellow ball in the winter, just because it is easy for me to see. I usually play the white version in the summer. There are some differences in the stamping between the white and yellow with the Snell MTBx. The White seems to hold up a little better. I don't have any empirical evidence, but I felt like the white ball went a little further. I went back to the Pro V1 in the middle of 2020, just because I didn't want to buy 3 dozen at a time and I was trying out AVX, TP5, Z-Star and new Chrom Soft as well. There is a good chance I will go back to Snell when I finish off my current stock.

My current bag. 

JO Bag 2021 - 1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ive been playing Snell MTB-X for about a year, love it. But by complete accident, played a recovered Bridgestone TOUR BRX this spring, on a high wind day. The ball flight was substantially better for me off the tee with driver. Similar launch as MTB-X, but flew noticeably straighter. 13hcp, 95mph maverick max, neutral swing path. Experimented a little the next day, strong wind again. Played Tour BRX front 9 and MT B-X back nine, results confirmed. Bought some 2020 BRX and have played the last 15 rounds with them. Now that the greens in MN are playing a bit closer to normal, i find it a little harder to hold greens outside 160yards. Not sure what the greens are rolling, but courses i play the most are around 138-145 slope. I know that the packaging and GolfSpy research shows that the Bridgestone Tour BX doesnt quite fit my swing speeds but the Golf Spy study shows some evidence of slightly higher spin, with minimal sacrifice to ball speed and launch angle at slower swing speeds. Going to pick up some Tour BX this week and see if i can hold more greens with similar ball flights, especially in the wind. But all of this leads me to feel conflicted. I love Snell as a company and the MTB-X is fantastic at the price point, but i also love the results ive had with the Tour BRX, and the “Made in the USA” is huge to me. Considering playing 2 balls, Tour BRX/BX on windy days, MTB-X on calm days. Does anyone else play 2 balls for this reason?

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

1 hour ago, Tyler86 said:

Ive been playing Snell MTB-X for about a year, love it. But by complete accident, played a recovered Bridgestone TOUR BRX this spring, on a high wind day. The ball flight was substantially better for me off the tee with driver. Similar launch as MTB-X, but flew noticeably straighter. 13hcp, 95mph maverick max, neutral swing path. Experimented a little the next day, strong wind again. Played Tour BRX front 9 and MT B-X back nine, results confirmed. Bought some 2020 BRX and have played the last 15 rounds with them. Now that the greens in MN are playing a bit closer to normal, i find it a little harder to hold greens outside 160yards. Not sure what the greens are rolling, but courses i play the most are around 138-145 slope. I know that the packaging and GolfSpy research shows that the Bridgestone Tour BX doesnt quite fit my swing speeds but the Golf Spy study shows some evidence of slightly higher spin, with minimal sacrifice to ball speed and launch angle at slower swing speeds. Going to pick up some Tour BX this week and see if i can hold more greens with similar ball flights, especially in the wind. But all of this leads me to feel conflicted. I love Snell as a company and the MTB-X is fantastic at the price point, but i also love the results ive had with the Tour BRX, and the “Made in the USA” is huge to me. Considering playing 2 balls, Tour BRX/BX on windy days, MTB-X on calm days. Does anyone else play 2 balls for this reason?

Although the data may suggest a certain ball or club may not fit your swing, it is up to you to test it and figure out what works for you! Maybe you are not part of that particular data set. As for playing multiple balls, I know sometimes I will play a TP5 or a TP5X depending on weather and wind etc. Nothing scientific about it just some days one ball seems to play better than the other. 

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

• 5 months later...

I like that you use 7 iron carry instead of swing speed. I can more easily associate my game with golfers who hit similar distances. Wonder about whether golfers hit center mass less than heel or toe. Good on ya mate.

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

• 4 months later...

Wilson Triad Review

The player:
Current gamer - Titleist Pro V1
Handicap or Ave score - 11.4
7 iron carry distance with current ball - 162
Trajectory - high
Putter - 2 ball TEN Stroke Lab

The ball:
Wilson Triad

Distance - Similar
Trajectory - mid-high, similar
Spin - hop and stop if clipped, roll out on most (spin was all over the place, see comments)
Feel - Firm, almost heavy
Durability (1 round) - Had to replace 3 during the round, no tree or path involved.
Rating - Casual

Notes or writeup:
I wanted to like this ball, I really did.  It does exactly what it says it will do: low spin off the driver with “some” green side spin.  I’m typically a high spin player into and around the greens and I struggled to control this ball.  Full 56 degree shots were rolling out on me unless I flushed them (read as “left paint on the club face”) and then it was hop and stop.  My 30 yard pitch shots that normally hop and stop were rolling 20’ out.  Off the tee this thing is a dream if you struggle with the curves.  I think I hit one draw all day and I was certainly trying to shape it.  If you normally “power fade” or “turn it over” with a driver you need to mute those expectations.

it’s a solid ball.  A lot of folks will lower their scores with this, if they try it.  Does it fit at $40?  Not for me.  I’ll pay the extra 10 for my ProV1.  But I do think Wilson is on to something here.  I’ll definitely finish the box.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9, Evenflow Black 6.0 75g

Woods: Callaway Rogue 3 and 5 Aldila Synergy

Hybrid: Callaway Rogue 4 Aldila Synergy

5-PW: Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal, Nippon Tour 105 Stiff

Cleveland Wedges (mix of CBX2, Zip Core, and RTX depending on the course)

Odessey 2 Ball TEN Stroke Lab Putter

Titleist Pro V1 

• 1 month later...

Maxfli Tour (matte white) review

0320222116.jpg.4b610222971c2afa6afb7499b9fab25a.jpg

The player:
Current gamer - Maxfli Tour X (gloss white), Bridgestone Tour B XS (summer). 
Handicap or Ave score - 7 (unestablished) avg 5-10 over per round
7 iron carry distance with current ball - 172
Trajectory - Mid
Putter - Edel/EAS/milled; feel - firm and very reactive. 

The ball:
Maxfli Tour (matte white), 2022

Distance - Better! 
Trajectory - Mid
Spin - hop & stop (this is as good as we can hope for on hard AZ greens)
Feel - Perfectly firm
Durability (1 round) - like new
Rating - Gamer! 

Notes or writeup:
For most of last season, and thanks to the MGS report on the Maxfli Tour line, I've been happily playing the Tour X. My driver swing speed is in the higher range averaging 110+ and can get up to 115 when I'm feeling healthy. My issue for the past few years is that I really effectively hit up on the ball which keeps my spin naturally low. Per the launch monitors, I'm clocking about 1600 rpm on average with a 90 compression low spin ball. While my club speed says I should play a firm tour level ball, my low spin can actually be unhealthy for driver distance.

I've been bouncing back and forth between low to mid spinning balls but just haven't really found the perfect combo. Higher level firm tour balls like TP5x, Z Star XV, V1-x, etc, just don't produce enough spin off the driver and I've found that I'm dropping out of the air about 20 yds short. I did have good results with the Maxfli Tour X as it plays a little softer than it's competitors so I did find a couple hundred RPM's and got back a few more yards. Well after a season with the Tour X, I've definitely confirmed that it's every bit as good as any competitor in all categories. 

Fast forward to 2022 and the Maxfli Tour in Matte white. I've decided that the Maxfli Tour line is definitely staying in my bag. I wanted to see if perhaps the standard Tour with the 3 piece construction and higher spin might put me in the sweet spot of 2200-2400 rev's and possibly reclaim any missing distance. In addition, I wanted to give the matte white a go as I really like the look. There was still the underlying concern of the "matte" finish and the MGS matte ball test which didn't shake out favorably for matte finish balls. 

So what I've concluded so far with about 6 rounds and a lot of practice with the Tour matte white is the following: the matte white finish with a urethane cover takes no losses in the performance category; the matte white cover on the Maxfli Tour cleans almost better than a gloss ball. Grass and dirt stains clean off easily with water and a towel; these balls are VERY durable and I believe meet the 2-3 round durability test and still leave the ball with plenty of retirement life as a back yard chipping ball; I've indeed found the extra distance that I've been looking for while maintaining plenty of control and not over spinning; feel off the putter, irons, and driver is softer, but not mushy soft. Still on the firm-ish side but in all the right ways. This is definitely a great ball for a higher swing, low spin player like me. I also think that it could meet the needs of a wide variety of game types. 

Ultimately I'm really excited to go into 2022 with the Maxfli Tour matte white as my gamer. Ultimately if I ever decide to go back to the Tour X (warmer weather) they also offer the matte finish in the X as I really like the look. 

THe ball on the left is after 1 very adventurous round, including some desert play and a few bunkers

0320222115.jpg.67520552299b0c0be28818cb716e18a9.jpg

0326221323a.jpg.d45ab43a6374228271410c1b8e044430.jpg

WIMB

0331221606.jpg.34c220cdf02bd407e9b46fbcf1878bcc.jpg

0331221607.jpg.35262e9adec6c055a8040163bf021d05.jpg

0331221613.jpg.f2c8a9983107104fd002409f21ff792f.jpg

0331221617a.jpg.024345ba55d92c06dd7d103bcf032c8e.jpg

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

• 1 month later...

Srixon-Z-star-2021-2.jpg.38311e24902adfd087662c4524fe78d1.jpg

The player:
Current gamer - Srixon Q Star Tour
Handicap or Ave score - 84
7 iron carry distance with current ball - 157y
Trajectory - mid
Putter - TourEdge HP 08 - soft

The ball:
Srixon Z Star 2021

Distance - same
Trajectory - mid
Spin - hop & stop
Feel - firm
Durability (1 round) - like new
Rating - Gamer

Notes or writeup:
- Durable

- Very close to a Pro V1 in price

- Higher spinning compared to the Q Star Tour (Probably because the Z Star has a higher compression)

:srixon-small:

-----------------------

PXGLogo.jpg.0c92800daa172651d766b6819f37e9f9.jpg: 0311 Gen5 - Driver

:adams-small:: Tight Lies - 3W

:wilson_staff_small:: Model CB - 4-PW

url(1).jpg.d0326cc5029d710568433f5df6fe1efc.jpg: TSW - 50°, 54°,58°

:odyssey-small:: Toulon Design Austin - Putter

• 4 months later...

1696625624_viceproball.jpg.645248aad17a98bd15077444bc69a0c2.jpg
The player:
Current gamer - Vice Pro or ProV1
Handicap - 5.2
7 iron carry distance with current ball - 159
Trajectory - mid
Putter - TM Spider X with urethane insert; typical feel is medium to medium soft. A little closer to a thud than a ping off the face with most balls

The ball:
Vice Pro (2020-current)

Distance - no noticeable distance changes when swapping between ProV1s and Vice Pros
Trajectory - typical mid trajectory ball; feels easy to control flight
Spin - from 8i down off of dry, tight conditions, the Vice Pro can certainly generate enough spin to rip back. From 7i-5i, I get about 4-8ft of roll from a midflight trajectory shot. Not overly spinny with driver/fairway woods but will shape/hook/slice like any cast urethane ball in the 85-95 compression range 
Feel - feel is soft with forged irons (most balls are) but definitely not mushy. More along the lines of a satisfying compression feeling. Mistruck shots aren't overly punishing on the hands and pure shots still feel like you hit something. With my Spider X putter, most balls in the normal compression range feel the same; the Vice Pro falls into the same category as the ProV1, TP5, Chrome Soft, etc.
Durability (1 round) - cast urethane cover does seem more prone to scuffs/nicks than other balls with comparable compressions and covers. A nippy wedge shot, hard bunker shot or cart path with most likely put a mark on the ball. I have never had a ball become unplayable after a particular shot (other than when I dump one in the pond) but if you are someone who only likes to play a pristine looking ball, you may find yourself ready to swap to a fresh ball sooner than normal
Rating - As a medical student who is on the course ~3 days a week and operating on a tight budget, the Vice Pro is my go-to ball. 

Notes:

If you are looking for a budget ProV1, this has been the best one I have found in regard to equivalent performance. I have played around 6 dozen Vice Pros over the last 2 years, and they are high enough quality to not miss a ProV1 during casual weekday rounds. However, the dimple pattern is not the most appealing to my eye (there is a visible seam along the equator of the ball), and the cover is not quite as bright white when compared side by side to a ProV1. If you are someone who uses the line on the ball to line up your puts, the Vice Pro "KIL" line is fantastic.

Overall, Vice Pro is a fantastic "budget ball" (still $35/box). The only time I don't play a Vice is from January-February/March when I am gaming the box of ProV1s I got for Christmas.

5.2 HDCP | M2 Driver | TM 750/730 irons | Spider X putter

• 5 months later...

Pro V1 vs AVX vs Kirkland v2 - My unscientific findings

Spent a couple of rounds playing all 3, normally two at a time, occasionally I'll play all 3 on a par 3 when it's quiet as we are allowed multiple balls on our course when its quiet.

My unscientific findings for anyone that is interested:

Longest

1. AVX
2. Pro V1
3. Kirkland v2

From a distance perspective, the Kirkland consistently felt like they were about 5 yards shorter in distance than the AVX with the Pro V1's a couple of yards shorter , going up to about 10-15 on the driver. The AVX felt about 5 yards longer than the Pro V1's on the driver. It's always difficult because you're not guaranteed to time the ball the same, but I never drove the Kirkland further than AVX or Pro V1 when I drove all 3 well.

Spin

1. Kirkland
2. Pro V1
3. AVX

Kirkland spin really well. Both the Kirkland and Pro V1\` spin a little too much for me, but I found the spin was a little heavier on the Kirkland. If you're someone that wants more spin, then either of these would work well. With a full wedge, I found it quite easy to get 6-10 yards of backspin on the ball which was difficult for me to control (9 handicap) due to the inconsistency (and my lack of skill). The AVX was a nice balance for me personally as I found that I could bring it back a couple of yards but I had an easier job of targeting the pin without have to worry whether the ball would spin off the front of the green. I also found it stopped nicely with everything up to and including my 5 iron. We don't really have any par 3's long enough for anything more than my 5 iron.

What I mean by inconsistency is the variability of spin. Obviously I strike the ball fairly well, but I find sometimes a get a massive amount of spin and sometimes not. That seems to be less of an issue with the AVX where I can stop the ball where it lands. The Pro V1 or the Kirkland could be 3 yards back, it could be 9 yards back, it could be 1 yard back. That makes it hard to know where to try pitch the ball, particularly when you're hitting in from a wedge, because you could try pitch 5 yards past the flag and find the ball stops where it lands, or you could land in line with the flag and it rolls off the front of the green. The AVX is typically within a yard or two of the wedge. If I hit with a lot of spin, it may come back 2 yards, but the variation is really between 1 yard and 2, not 1 yard and 10.

With chipping and short pitch shots, I find they all stop decently on shorter shots around the green, so I wouldn't say the Kirkland or Pro V1 is uncontrollable from 20 yards. It's mainly the 70-130 yard band that I have challenges with control.

Durability

1. AVX
2. Pro V1
3. Kirkland

The AVX seemed to be more durable, although it's really hard to compare this. I did find that I had to retire my Kirklands earlier due to ball damage, so maybe I was just unlucky. When I say worse, it was marginal at best. For me they last a round but I wouldn't go muhc more than a round and a half with one ball. The AVX would carry me for 36 holes before I retire, provided you don't have heavy hits on trees or excessive bunker use with either.

Colour

I know this seems like an odd one, but we have a s*** ton (scientific term for it) of leaves on our course and white balls are difficult as hell to see. This is one of the things that would put me off playing the Kirkland as it makes a huge difference. This would be a minor issue on other courses but it's worth noting.

Conclusion

For the price, the Kirkland are actually damn good. The distance issue is minor in the grand scheme of things. if budget is an issue, I'd honestly say they are worth it and I'll probably fill my practice bag with them.

I personally find the AVX is the nicest balance for me, but I think I'll keep a box of Pro V1's in my bag for holes where I do need a little more stopping power.

TSR2 9° with Tensei AV Xlink Blue 65 TSR and MCC +4, 
TSR2 15° with Tensei AV Xlink Blue 65 TSR and MCC +4, 
2 Iron T200 Utility and MCC +4, 
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick

On 4/7/2023 at 2:08 AM, MissionMan said:

Pro V1 vs AVX vs Kirkland v2 - My unscientific findings

Longest

1. AVX
2. Pro V1
3. Kirkland v2

Spin

1. Kirkland
2. Pro V1
3. AVX

Love the review. I'm curious if you have tested any of these with a launch monitor? I think you would find the exact reasons for the Spin and Distance measurements to be 100% due to the spin rates of all three. I have all three in my garage right now. I think I'll grab spin numbers and post them here to show why you're seeing this lineup. I've done this personally and the spin rates on Kirkland are substantially higher than an AVX and a tough spinier than the ProV1. I like that you did on-course testing to validate this though! None of my local courses are ever "Quiet" around here.

• Driver: image.png.c67e4844d8a191f8afb6a4e307a65ffa.png Stealth 8* turned down to 6* X-Stiff, Graphite Design Tour AD XC-6
  • 3 Wood: image.png.a1548764b69c6d3406f6f9f1ab1acd22.png Sim 14* X-Stiff, Aldila Rogue Silver
  • 2 Iron/2 Hybrid: Mizuno image.png.e2dedc2a71191940659367b8fac460ef.png MP-20 HMB, Graphite Design Tour AD; image.png.f066373041037bed32d08e715a7127f2.png Forged Tec set to 17* X-Stiff, Catalyst 6.0
  • P-4 Irons: image.png.d0a79f435e2331981ac11a33dd54e77a.png MP20, Dynamic Gold X100 
  • Wedges:  image.png.5e4bb78c97a6cf70133b4dfd9b768747.png Vokey SM9 50 degree 08F, 56 degree 08M and 60 degree 08M
  • My Putter: image.png.dce9f23e6ed6368fab8361d0c072c157.png B.2, LA Golf Shaft
  • Ball: image.png.0ca81de9028caab738d4428af820440f.png AVX
  • 5.3 Handicapped; Right Hander; from Salt Lake City, Utah

9 hours ago, thechrisgibbs said:

Love the review. I'm curious if you have tested any of these with a launch monitor? I think you would find the exact reasons for the Spin and Distance measurements to be 100% due to the spin rates of all three. I have all three in my garage right now. I think I'll grab spin numbers and post them here to show why you're seeing this lineup. I've done this personally and the spin rates on Kirkland are substantially higher than an AVX and a tough spinier than the ProV1. I like that you did on-course testing to validate this though! None of my local courses are ever "Quiet" around here.

I didn't test with a launch monitor, but I suspect (as you mentioned) it would just confirm what I picked up through the round.  Part of this may change over time as I learn to get more control, or learn to play different clubs to get better outcomes for spin.

We are lucky, I live on an island in a holiday destination, so we have a pretty quiet time during the week, whereas weekends get pretty busy. We also have daylight savings through summer (southern hemisphere so that is ending now) so it was light until 8-9pm. That makes it easy for me to do 9 holes during the week, whether during the day or after work. 

On the negative, our courses aren't necessarily the greatest due to the low number of full members as the green keepers have limited experience.

TSR2 9° with Tensei AV Xlink Blue 65 TSR and MCC +4, 
TSR2 15° with Tensei AV Xlink Blue 65 TSR and MCC +4, 
2 Iron T200 Utility and MCC +4, 
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick

Just found this thread the other day and did a little version of if soft is slow on my own. I took a Titleist AVX and put it up against my gamer ball Tour BX. I hit about five decent shots with the PW, 7i, and Dr for each ball and I was really only looking to see if the dispersions came out about the same. Everything else seemed to shake out naturally. Club delivery was overall the same but it is very easy to consistently come to the conclusion no matter who does the test that softer is indeed slower.

AVXVSTourBX.JPG.e2efcd21c018e662fd78a2ad33f7c8cc.JPG

Driver:  :titleist-small: TSR3 8°, set to A1, Graphite Design UB 7X 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small:SIM 3 Wood 15°, Aldila Rouge Silver 7X

3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 18°, Ventus Blue 8S

2 Utility: :srixon-small: ZX Utility, LA Golf Tour AXS Blue, (15th club)

4i-AW:  :srixon-small:ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400

56°: :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

60° :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :L.A.B.: Mezz1 Max

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

Forum Reviews: 

:Sub70: Official Member Review Sub 70 TAIII Wedges

:Nippon: Official Member Review Zelos 7 Shaft Review

:vokey-small:Unofficial Vokey SM8 and Wedge & Wedge Works Review 

:srixon-small:Unofficial Srixon 2021 ZX7 Iron Review

:titleist-small: Unofficial TSR3 Review

• 3 weeks later...

TaylorMade TP5x Pix

I've been playing this ball for a couple of months combining the end of last season and the start of this season. To be honest, I like this ball for the price and the ease in which I can pick it up via Amazon. That being said, I've listed an honest review as a higher handicap player. 

Distance
I don't see a distance drop off when playing this vs. a Titlist ProV1 ball. I hit my driver 250 carry. I get the expected carry but I see that i get a little more roll out from this ball in the fairway. (Same Distance)

Trajectory - high, mid, low
Mid trajectory. No issues with how the ball performs right off the club face. 

Spin

The main reason I have played this ball is how it performs for me on the green. I can play the yardage to the flag or my aimpoint and know that it will likely be the spot it stops as I don't see the high spin that would pull the ball back, but its steady enough that i get very little roll out if any. 

Feel - firm, crunchy, soft, mushy
To me it feels soft. 

Durability (1 round) - like new, scuffed but payable, rough shape
Here's the major downside of this ball. It is pretty easy to scuff. After a round, its usually scuffed but playable. If i have to hit it more than a couple of times out of the sand, its in rough shape. So it really depends on your accuracy, but overall, this is where i see the other premium balls outperform it. 

Rating
Casual - would play again if given or found

As a high handicapper, i rarely finish a round with the same ball (if ever). I like the distance and spin this ball provides and visually i like it as i can identify it easily and line it up for tee shots and putting without having to draw my own lines. The major downside is the durability of the cover. A lower handicap golfer likely wont see this issue as much, but after i've skipped once off the cart path, or clipped a tree, or had to hit a out of the bunker a few times, i need a new ball as it will be beyond usable. 

61lAe7us4dL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Fore, right!

12 minutes ago, Brent Vodrazka said:

TaylorMade TP5x Pix

I've been playing this ball for a couple of months combining the end of last season and the start of this season. To be honest, I like this ball for the price and the ease in which I can pick it up via Amazon. That being said, I've listed an honest review as a higher handicap player. 

Distance
I don't see a distance drop off when playing this vs. a Titlist ProV1 ball. I hit my driver 250 carry. I get the expected carry but I see that i get a little more roll out from this ball in the fairway. (Same Distance)

Trajectory - high, mid, low
Mid trajectory. No issues with how the ball performs right off the club face. 

Spin

The main reason I have played this ball is how it performs for me on the green. I can play the yardage to the flag or my aimpoint and know that it will likely be the spot it stops as I don't see the high spin that would pull the ball back, but its steady enough that i get very little roll out if any. 

Feel - firm, crunchy, soft, mushy
To me it feels soft. 

Durability (1 round) - like new, scuffed but payable, rough shape
Here's the major downside of this ball. It is pretty easy to scuff. After a round, its usually scuffed but playable. If i have to hit it more than a couple of times out of the sand, its in rough shape. So it really depends on your accuracy, but overall, this is where i see the other premium balls outperform it. 

Rating
Casual - would play again if given or found

As a high handicapper, i rarely finish a round with the same ball (if ever). I like the distance and spin this ball provides and visually i like it as i can identify it easily and line it up for tee shots and putting without having to draw my own lines. The major downside is the durability of the cover. A lower handicap golfer likely wont see this issue as much, but after i've skipped once off the cart path, or clipped a tree, or had to hit a out of the bunker a few times, i need a new ball as it will be beyond usable. 

61lAe7us4dL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Great review. I've been playing this ball off and on for the past few months and you've pretty much summarized my entire experience playing it.

Forum Reviews: 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/20/2023 at 7:24 AM, ZMendle10 said:

Just found this thread the other day and did a little version of if soft is slow on my own. I took a Titleist AVX and put it up against my gamer ball Tour BX. I hit about five decent shots with the PW, 7i, and Dr for each ball and I was really only looking to see if the dispersions came out about the same. Everything else seemed to shake out naturally. Club delivery was overall the same but it is very easy to consistently come to the conclusion no matter who does the test that softer is indeed slower.

AVXVSTourBX.JPG.e2efcd21c018e662fd78a2ad33f7c8cc.JPG

Im old and wore out so I dont have your swing speed but comma . I switched to  the BRX based on the MGS 2021 testing and loved all but the lack of stopping power on the green, switched to the RXS for more spin and stopping power difference was dramatic, last week I nailed a full PW onto the green to 4 feet beside to the cup and I started to walk back to cart when I saw it was gonna be on the dance floor, when we got to the green I asked where was my divot so I could fix it because I didnt see it and one guy blurted out " its under the $#$%%^^ ball " lol. The RXS isn't perfect though at 10.5 degrees with my PING 430 H/L driver it balloons up to high and I lose distance so I dropped it down to 9.5 and when I hit it solid Im getting the best distance in years BUT COMMA at my swing speed if I am not hitting the sweet spot  it flutters like a wounded bird and eventually falls out of the sky. SO even though the higher compression BX is wrong on paper for me I bought a box to try and its only 1 round in so no final decision but early results look like either same distance or 1-2 yards less on irons but pull it back spin, solid drives are at least as far as RXS I think its longer but may be wishful thinking lol and the few hundred extra RPM of spin is a game changer on the driver when I dont get a solid shot, the ball flies normally juts a little shorter instead of falling out of the sky. I tried a lot of premium balls before I tried any Bridgestone ball so its not like I am a Bridgestone fan boy but as crazy as it seems they may be 1st,2nd and 3rd place for me. 

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

18 hours ago, Fred Mitchell said:

Im old and wore out so I dont have your swing speed but comma . I switched to  the BRX based on the MGS 2021 testing and loved all but the lack of stopping power on the green, switched to the RXS for more spin and stopping power difference was dramatic, last week I nailed a full PW onto the green to 4 feet beside to the cup and I started to walk back to cart when I saw it was gonna be on the dance floor, when we got to the green I asked where was my divot so I could fix it because I didnt see it and one guy blurted out " its under the $#$%%^^ ball " lol. The RXS isn't perfect though at 10.5 degrees with my PING 430 H/L driver it balloons up to high and I lose distance so I dropped it down to 9.5 and when I hit it solid Im getting the best distance in years BUT COMMA at my swing speed if I am not hitting the sweet spot  it flutters like a wounded bird and eventually falls out of the sky. SO even though the higher compression BX is wrong on paper for me I bought a box to try and its only 1 round in so no final decision but early results look like either same distance or 1-2 yards less on irons but pull it back spin, solid drives are at least as far as RXS I think its longer but may be wishful thinking lol and the few hundred extra RPM of spin is a game changer on the driver when I dont get a solid shot, the ball flies normally juts a little shorter instead of falling out of the sky. I tried a lot of premium balls before I tried any Bridgestone ball so its not like I am a Bridgestone fan boy but as crazy as it seems they may be 1st,2nd and 3rd place for me. 

I'm a big fan of the Tour BX because for me the flight is just what I like to see and for me the Tour BX is just a great feeling ball. I will say though the biggest downside with these balls is that they are not very durable. However I just toss them in my shag bag if they are too beat up an still have the same chipping performance around the green. Not sure if you have noticed the same durability issues as me though.

Forum Reviews: