GolfSpy MBP

MYGOLFSPY MASTER GOLF BALL REVIEW THREAD

I bought a couple doz Z-Stars, used but AAAA mint. Most are pretty newish.

played them today and was quite happy.

Really close to the CS as you say.

I did have a few really long drives today though, where a CS never went.

Tomorrow, I'll try the XV version.

• Like 1

The ball : Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Wilson 's newest 60 compression urethane golf ball. 

Current gamer : Ksig

Distance
Distance for irons, wedges, putters woods is exactly what I expect it to be, more or less within the same as the ksig. I think for my woods specifically, it is the best distance ball I've ever hit. 

For my driver, I lose 23 on average, thanks to shot scope keeping track of these things for me. Which.... Is really odd. I haven't used this ball on a launch monitor, but I have a guess as to what might be going on. I have pretty low driver spin normally, I struggle to get above 2k rpm, and normally I'm in the 1500-1800 range. I think this ball is so good at lowering driver spin that I'm probably in the 800-1200 range and it just falls out of the sky on me. 

Trajectory - mid
Same as my current ball. 

Spin

Hop & stop - high spin but not coming back 5 feet
It has noticeably less spin than the ksigs on iron and wedge shots. To compare I hit some full 120y wedges onto a green, ksigs pulled back 5-7 feet, Wilson pulled back 5-7 inches. 

Feel - soft
It feels great, not mushy, not clicky, really the ball feels great. 

Durability (3 rounds) - like new. The only mark on it was from a drive landing on a cart path. And even that is minimal and came on the first of 3 rounds. Durability seems excellent. 

Rating
Gamer - maybe. I'm very conflicted about this ball. I love everything about it except my drive distance. I'm actually averaging 3 more yards with my 5 wood as opposed to my driver with this ball... But I'm scoring great. I'm also playing it in HI-Vis green, and it that alone has made golf more pleasant this winter. It is so easy to spot from anywhere, I think I could see it on the moon. Finding it plugged hasn't been a problem at all. With the ksig, I'm often hunting for them this time of year. I haven't had to look for this ball at all this winter. Incredibly nice. 

Notes or writeup
I love this ball, but I'm not sure my ego will let me play it only because of my driver distance loss. I'd highly recommend trying this ball. If you want to lower your driver spin, I think it could really help. It feels great, it's easy to spot and is very durable. If you already have low driver spin... Maybe you like hitting your 5 wood further than your driver anyway and this will be perfect. 

20190126_144150.jpg

20190126_141541.jpg

20190126_145050.jpg

Edited by Thin2win
Added compression rating and cover material
  • Like 5

@Thin2win - thanks for the nice write up. You’ve convinced me to give these a try.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Nice write up but I don't or didn't see you mention what type of cover this ball has. Kind of important IMO. I'm assuming a surlyn of some flavor. Not urethane I guess. Too lazy to look it up myself.

Nice write up but I don't or didn't see you mention what type of cover this ball has. Kind of important IMO. I'm assuming a surlyn of some flavor. Not urethane I guess. Too lazy to look it up myself.

It’s a urethane cover.

Nice review.  I like their alignment stripe, bold and of good size with a positive message "professional". 👍

4 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

Edited to include compression and cover material

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Nice review.  I like their alignment stripe, bold and of good size with a positive message "professional". 👍

I use the "professional" for all my putts. It is clear, and definitely effective. The positive mental thought before putting can't hurt either. 

20190126_144754.jpg

• Like 1

Outside of being a 5 or better handicap, this is a very hard product to test. May why most of us are not as good is because we struggle with consistency. So hitting a consistent shots over and over to judge a ball can be tough. Judging a ball on the green can be easier but can also be skewed if you use a putter with an insert for feel. For me personally, it takes a few rounds to notice a difference in the ball i am using. I cannot play Callaway balls for some reason; maybe too soft and spin too much...

Tough product testing for these guys

Photo courtesy of the interwebs: 

HZEsoyY.jpg

The player:
Current gamer - Titleist Pro V1x / Taylormade TP5x
Handicap or Ave score - 8hdcp
7 iron carry distance with current ball - 175
Trajectory - mid/high
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

The ball:
2019 OnCore Elixr

Distance - Same or slightly less (wind was swirling, hard to tell)
Trajectory - high
Spin - stop or spin back
Feel - soft
Durability (1 round) - very good
Rating - Casual

Notes or writeup:
So since OnCore had a giveaway and I received my free sleeve, I figured the least I could do would be a short review of my impressions. Overall I am quite happy with the performance. It seemed to launch pretty high and wasn't terribly affected by some of the surprisingly strong winds I ended up playing in. The feel off the clubface was a bit too soft for my preferences, even though it performed similarly to some high end balls.

Distance seemed good, I was lucky enough to be playing alone after work so I could hit 2 balls. On two seemingly well struck balls the Taylormade (TP5 this day) I was playing went ever so further, which seems impressive considering how soft off the face the OnCore felt.

My biggest gripe, as embarrassing as it is to admit, is the aesthetics. In my humblest, uneducated opinion, the graphics on the ball are not pleasing to the eye at all. I feel silly for saying this, but it translated to not having much confidence in standing over the ball, it just looks cheap - despite how well it performed.

If you are interested in the Elixr and the design on the ball is not important to you, I would not hesitate to recommend this ball. Until the logo is changed, shrunk, or something else, I wouldn't buy these balls for myself.

• Like 4

"My biggest gripe, as embarrassing as it is to admit, is the aesthetics. In my humblest, uneducated opinion, the graphics on the ball are not pleasing to the eye at all. I feel silly for saying this, but it translated to not having much confidence in standing over the ball, it just looks cheap - despite how well it performed."

... We are human with likes, dislikes and bias. I can play with something that doesn't look good to my eye. But I can't play with something that looks bad to my eye. My first round with the previous version of the Cut Blue, shiny and cheap looking, I shot a 66 tying my lowest score. My next round playing it, I hit a high push off the first tee and immediately thought "POS shiny Cut ball!" and switched to my favorite TP5x and when I hit a bad shot it was my fault and had nothing to do the the TP5x. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, mellow said:

My biggest gripe, as embarrassing as it is to admit, is the aesthetics. In my humblest, uneducated opinion, the graphics on the ball are not pleasing to the eye at all. I feel silly for saying this, but it translated to not having much confidence in standing over the ball, it just looks cheap - despite how well it performed.

If you are interested in the Elixr and the design on the ball is not important to you, I would not hesitate to recommend this ball. Until the logo is changed, shrunk, or something else, I wouldn't buy these balls for myself.

I love the Elixr, it's my game ball at the moment, and I agree with you on the logo. It's the second "C" that gets me the most for some reason, and red numbers above the text looks too blocky / stand out-ish (The grey numbers are great by comparison, but I'd be all for a simple black number). I feel like if it was limited to the "O" it'd be more acceptable to my eye. 

image.png.e68181ec083366fe00fa749dd1a66fa7.png

Putting and off the tee I have to align it so I see little to none of the logo/numbers. Beyond the logo, I do like the lines bordering "Elixr" on the side. They've served well for alignment and I no longer have to use a maker to add lines.

• Like 1

I use the "professional" for all my putts. It is clear, and definitely effective. The positive mental thought before putting can't hurt either. 
20190126_144754.jpg.b3cdc581e59f62d8bf90576269da7d91.jpg

I played these today for 6 holes as I tested other balls. Loved them. Longest off the tees for me and straight as an arrow. Struggled putting them but I struggled putting with every ball I used today. Probably be my gamer when this tourney starts on Friday.

• Like 2

The player:
Current gamer - PoV1
Handicap or Ave score - 6
7 iron carry distance with current ball - 150
Trajectory - high
Putter - Odyssey metalX-1

The ball:
Name of ball- Snell MTB 2018

Distance - 5-7 yards more
Trajectory - a bit lower
Spin - stops on proper strike, some release
Feel - firm
Durability (1 round) - like new
Rating - Gamer

First, I am a Titliest guy through the bag  Have played 12 rounds with MTB. A bit longer, a bit less spin than PoV1. Played ProV1 for 10 years(60 round/year). Snell compares very favorably for $20/ dozen less and is what I play now. A well struck short iron stops, mid/long iron releases 6 ft. Pro V1 would have backed up 3, and stopped on longer irons, so I am good with that for price. I do not lose many balls and I have retired a few after 3 rounds that still look good. It is difficult for me to distinguish between the two. For $5/ dz less, would probably stay ProV— for $22/dz less, Snell’s my ball

• Like 2

Its funny how everything seems to get compared to the PV1 right?

I bought 50 5A pro V's off ebay and have been playing them for the last few rounds. The reason everything is being compared to them is that theyre just a really good ball. Id never pay $48 for a dozen under any corcumstance tho- But a dollar a ball off ebay? Hella yes.

• Like 1
  • Off Topic 1

On 4/27/2017 at 6:57 PM, cksurfdude said:

Ditto. Excellent, solid review!

(And not too badly written for a teacher emoji12.png )

As a teacher myself I take offense to that comment! 

J/k lol

On 7/31/2018 at 1:03 PM, Wedgie said:

I'd say they odds of your wife out driving me off the tee are much greater than having this happen.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I’ve heard a lot about the Kirkland balls. I’m searching through the form of ball reviews and can’t find one yet. I wonder what people think about it On my golf spy.

I just played the snell MTBX the other day. My average drive for the year (15 rounds) was 187 yards. My avegage on this round was 221 yards. I wasn't hitting the ball any better either. So far very, very impressed. I had been playing Bridgestone E5 and Wilson Duo Urethane prior.

On 3/13/2019 at 2:59 PM, Wedgie said:

I played these today for 6 holes as I tested other balls. Loved them. Longest off the tees for me and straight as an arrow. Struggled putting them but I struggled putting with every ball I used today. Probably be my gamer when this tourney starts on Friday.

I thought I would circle back to you months later and see if you are still gaming these? You said you were getting good distance with them, while I noticed I wasn't. After the big ball test I can see that again, playing the ball that works for you is the important part, but that these did fall on the shorter side of carry.

Just wondering if you were still playing them. 

• Like 1

Just now, Thin2win said:

I thought I would circle back to you months later and see if you are still gaming these? You said you were getting good distance with them, while I noticed I wasn't. After the big ball test I can see that again, playing the ball that works for you is the important part, but that these did fall on the shorter side of carry.

Just wondering if you were still playing them. 

I am not mainly because of the ball test that MGS did that had me start wondering if something firmer may be a better fit.  I am currently testing the MTB-X and from the Wilson I went to the Z Star prior to that.  My longest drive of the year is with the Wilson Pro but I have found firmer balls for me to be more accurate off the tee and I putt much better.  Not much of a difference distance wise off the tee for any of these balls.

• Like 1