Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

AOA - Driver Angle of Attack

How to you have a positive angle of attack, seems like I have a negative aoa even though I move my ball beyond my left foot (right handed)?

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Lower right shoulder. I have a fairly level +- a little swing with driver. But when I drop the right should I get nice drives. Forget and too much spin. But I'm not one for offering swing correcting advice, just what works for me.

V V

|_______|

O

very bad attempt at stick figure golf set up. I put the ball between my left peck and armpit. Make a good consistent attempt to drop my right shoulder and a nice even tempo. If I try to kill it... FORE right!

Edit: don't read the above garbage. I'm bad at explaining things. By shoulder lower I meant spine tilt. Sometimes I forget I'm swinging the driver and not a wedge.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Find the tallest tee you can and tee it up as high as you can.  Practice that. It will force you to come from more inside to sweep the ball.  Think of it like playing T-Ball as a kid.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

How to you have a positive angle of attack, seems like I have a negative aoa even though I move my ball beyond my left foot (right handed)?

You indicate that it "seems" like you have a negative angle of attack. What makes you think that it is negative? Have you had it measured on a launch monitor? If I were looking at numbers I would be more concerned with launch angle. It is possible to have what is considered to be an optimal launch angle even with a negative angle of attack

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

You indicate that it "seems" like you have a negative angle of attack. What makes you think that it is negative? Have you had it measured on a launch monitor? If I were looking at numbers I would be more concerned with launch angle. It is possible to have what is considered to be an optimal launch angle even with a negative angle of attack

Monitor says negative AOA and low launch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Monitor says negative AOA and low launch

Your two options are to increase loft to get higher launch or follow the advice presented in the thread to change to swinging more up on the ball. The easiest way for me to swing more up was a slight tilt to the right.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

As with everything else for me it starts at address. Good posture, alignment, ball position all of it helps. If your looking for swing thoughts one I've used in the past is to keep my head behind the ball through impact but be careful not to overdo it or your weight transfer will suffer.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I'm on the mobile app and so don't know your handicap. If you are already a good ball striker through the bag I would be reluctant to chase yards through messing with it.

All the advice here so far is classic but you might mess other stuff up. Instead go take a lesson from the pro at your club. Just know that the average on tour is neutral or a bit negative. It's positive on the LPGA

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived