TESTERS WANTED! ×

Driver predicament

Has anybody ever taken an older model driver and shafted it with a more up to date shaft and it seems like it just works?

I have been hitting a 913D3 with a 70X Diaman Ahina.

I ended up acquiring a Rogue MSI 110 60X with the RIP I/O tip.  I put it in an old SLDR 430 10.5* that has been laying around.  I took it out for a spin on the course today and was pleasantly surprised.  I ended up hitting it really well.  I might end up putting this back in the bag.  I seem to spin it a bit less and hit it further and just as straight (which is a plus).  

I have upgraded the shaft with my driver many times over the years and a so/so driver became my keeper, I rarely play the latest and greatest so I guess in a way I have done the same with and older driver even though the driver is only one or two years old.  

Glad you found a combo shaft and head that works for you, hit 'em long and straight. 

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -      Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                          Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                                          Putter -    Evnroll ER2
Rangefinder -  NX-10 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                            Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

I have upgraded the shaft with my driver many times over the years and a so/so driver became my keeper, I rarely play the latest and greatest so I guess in a way I have done the same with and older driver even though the driver is only one or two years old.  

Glad you found a combo shaft and head that works for you, hit 'em long and straight. 

I find this works too.

When MGS did the test for the Bstone J40 I liked the looks and I then I really liked the set -up. It stays.

Now If I could just find a shaft that would fix that dead straght 15 foot pull left Ide be in business.

I'm trying just the opposite.  I'm waiting for my replacement Epic Sub Zero head for more testing.  I've got my standard Graphite Design P9003 shaft, but an also trying two old classic shafts:

Aldila ProtoPYPE 80-X

Matrix F7M2 LTD XX

The PYPE, I think could be interesting, as I always thought it didn't kill spin very much.  It was definitely low launch, but not low spin.  I think with a low spin Sub Zero head, it could be dirty.  

Same with the F7M2.  Great for energy transfer, but not as good with lowering spin.  

Tour Issue Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 9° / Graphite Design P9003 TX  OR  Tour Issue Taylormade M1 430 9.5° / Graphite Design P9003 TX                        

Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX                    Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Project X T1100 95g 6.5

Tour Issue Titleist 915Hd 17.5° / Graphite Design DI-105 X                                Tour Issue Callaway BB Alpha 815 18° / Graphite Design DI-105 X

Scratch AR-1 v2 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                                        Raw Bridgestone J15CB 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7

Scratch FIT 54°DS and 60°DS / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                            Bettinardi H2 Forged 54° and 60° / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7        

Rotating 8802 style putters

I have played both of those shafts.  I liked them both.  The pype was stout, but it played very well for me.  I think I was playing the 70X.  I also played the F7M2 in X and it was in the bag for over 2 years until the tip broke.  It has been a search to find a proper replacement.

The odd thing is that I normally like the 70g category of shafts but this 60g works pretty well.  I usually have to be very aware of the transition with most 60g shafts, but this shaft doesn't seem to care too much.

Please don't call my SLDR old.  She might hear you and get offended and stop going straight and long.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Has anybody ever taken an older model driver and shafted it with a more up to date shaft and it seems like it just works?

I have been hitting a 913D3 with a 70X Diaman Ahina.

I ended up acquiring a Rogue MSI 110 60X with the RIP I/O tip. I put it in an old SLDR 430 10.5* that has been laying around. I took it out for a spin on the course today and was pleasantly surprised. I ended up hitting it really well. I might end up putting this back in the bag. I seem to spin it a bit less and hit it further and just as straight (which is a plus).

I have an X flex diamana Ahina 70 as well on my M1. LOVE this setup!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

I would hardly consider the models discussed here old. I was thinks no this might be about stuff from before 2010.

Judging from tour stats it's not likely that's there is any significant difference between a 913 D and a 917 D beyond increased adjustability.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived