TESTERS WANTED! ×

Anyone got a TM Spider?

Eseay32

I have always preferred a blade putter and just this summer, I tried the TM Spider a little, and I have to say it is really nice. The swing balance on the Spider felt so smooth. I like the feel coming off the blade putter a little better but as far as keeping your putter face squared up to where you want the putter to go, the Spider is awesome. It's got me thinking!! Now I just have to figure out how to sneak it into the discretionary spending budget. :)

Taylor Made M1 (9.5deg, Matrix Speed Rulz c-type 70g shaft)

Ping I20 (Yellow Dot, Z-Z65 steel shaft

Right Handed

Phoenix, AZ

6 hcp

• 2 weeks later...

I have an older model of the Spider Itsy Bitsy that I was hoping someone could give me a little more information about. It was given to me by a tour pro. I've found a few pictures of others very similar to it, but never the exact same. The most I've found out about it is that it may be a Japan Tour issue with the center shaft, silver face insert and all black crown with a single white line.

Thanks

My gamer is an Evnroll ER7. I have putted well with it, but like many here I like trying new putters. And I love putting. This week I borrowed a friend's T-M Spider. It is the black version. Grip is mid-size and felt great, sticky.  I understand the face is a little harder than the red Spider.Which I liked.

I played 45 holes with it this week. It is lighter than my ER7. I got comfortable with it quickly. It sets up square. I liked the shape of the putter, it felt like I could keep the face square through the ball very easily. It has a ting-tock sort of sound, but that didn't bother me. The black head and shaft kills any glare issues. Ball rolled smoothly, end over end, not as much skid as other putters.

All in all I putted well with it during the week. By round, I had 30 putts, 28 putts and on my final nine I had 12 putts (6 one putts, 3 2 putts). Give it a try as that is the only way you will know if you like this putter.

My gamer is an Evnroll ER7. I have putted well with it, but like many here I like trying new putters. And I love putting. This week I borrowed a friend's T-M Spider. It is the black version. Grip is mid-size and felt great, sticky.  I understand the face is a little harder than the red Spider.Which I liked.

I played 45 holes with it this week. It is lighter than my ER7. I got comfortable with it quickly. It sets up square. I liked the shape of the putter, it felt like I could keep the face square through the ball very easily. It has a ting-tock sort of sound, but that didn't bother me. The black head and shaft kills any glare issues. Ball rolled smoothly, end over end, not as much skid as other putters.

All in all I putted well with it during the week. By round, I had 30 putts, 28 putts and on my final nine I had 12 putts (6 one putts, 3 2 putts). Give it a try as that is the only way you will know if you like this putter.

That's some pretty damn good putting! I rolled one of the slant neck red ones in the store yesterday, it felt really good, but it would need to be really special to knock my #7 out of the bag.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I have always preferred a blade putter and just this summer, I tried the TM Spider a little, and I have to say it is really nice. The swing balance on the Spider felt so smooth. I like the feel coming off the blade putter a little better but as far as keeping your putter face squared up to where you want the putter to go, the Spider is awesome. It's got me thinking!! Now I just have to figure out how to sneak it into the discretionary spending budget. :)

... I have always used a heel shafted 8802 or one very much like it for my entire going career. With a gate stroke it is the only style of putter that works for me. I picked up the Tour Black expecting it to be awful for my stroke and I was completely surprised by the feel, balance and it's ability to just glide back and forward perfectly on path with no manipulation with a slightly gate stroke. Short putts seem to be automatic.

... I hate the idea of having that huge head in my bag but after hitting all lengths of putts with it 4 or 5 times at the PGA SS and the feel, swing path and results are always the same, I am seriously contemplating picking one up. The fact that the practice greens are flat causes me pause and not sure about the ability to cozy up long putts but the accuracy of short and mid range putts are probably going to be the deciding factor. I can honestly say I thought I would be the last guy interested in this strange looking putter. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

So despite my earlier post I guess this is for me. Had shop credit after a member guest and grabbed the black version. Had it in the bag for a few weeks and yesterday decided I hated the Wynn grip it came with so had the guys in the shop throw a Super Stroke on it yesterday. Putted lights out today and may have been the only bright spot in my game.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I really wanted to love the red one, really love the headcover, but the feel wasn't there for me vs my tp mills.

Got to give it more time

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I've been tempted by the black for awhile now, but haven't had a chance to roll one until today. I sank 7 out of the 8 putts I rolled! Now this was inside, on the flat surface at the PGASS, but I was pretty impressed. I have always had blade style putters, and never really liked anything by TaylorMade, but I may have to pick one up and see if it can kick the Scotty out of the bag.

I bought one a few weeks ago, really like how it felt and rolled but didnt have quite the confidence as I did/do with my Newport 2 yet.

I switched back and I think I will work on the putter in the offseason. I think I might put a small aiming stripe on the head, similar to Rory's. Maybe that will build my confidence up a bit.

8hhf0J5.png

Anyone know the difference between the spider tour black vs red? I know they have different inserts however i dont know what makes the inserts different.

Black is a harder insert for a firmer feel and red is a soft insert. Both Pure Roll but I believe the Red is surlyn and black is 80/20 so it's a little more firm.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

I have the Spider OS and love it. Easy to line up and control the distances. Love the feel and really rolls true. I have tried the Day and DJ and prefer the OS myself. Should be in the bag for a long time.

... Well I couldn't pass up Budget Golf's 20% off as it applied to the Spider Black Tour. Hopefully I can get most of my money back if it doesn't work as well on real greens with slopes as well as the flat PGA SS greens. 

Bought the Tour Red last Monday, so far so good. Took a few rounds to get the speed down but this thing really gets the ball started on line.

Sent from my HTC 10 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Speedzone Xtreme 11.5*

Bio Cell+ 18.5*

G10 24*

Srixon U85 26*

Mizuno MP-32 6-PW

Vokey SM6  52* and 58*

Scotty Cameron Select GoLo 

Taylormade TP5x

I'm on Instagram as @sharpened_development_llc

... Well my Tour Black passed the first test. I took it and 10 balls to a practice putting green and hit all kinds of putts and the TB rolled great. Distance putts were just as accurate as short putts while uphill and downhill putts worked equally well. I was a little worried about downhill putts but my fears were unfounded. I really am impressed with how the putter head stays on a slightly gated path and never seems to lose it's line. Perhaps it is the weight so far in the back since I have always played a blade putter. Of course the next and biggest test is playing it in a round of golf. 

... Well my Tour Black passed the first test. I took it and 10 balls to a practice putting green and hit all kinds of putts and the TB rolled great. Distance putts were just as accurate as short putts while uphill and downhill putts worked equally well. I was a little worried about downhill putts but my fears were unfounded. I really am impressed with how the putter head stays on a slightly gated path and never seems to lose it's line. Perhaps it is the weight so far in the back since I have always played a blade putter. Of course the next and biggest test is playing it in a round of golf. 

Curious what you thought about not having a sight line

8hhf0J5.png

... I don't like sight lines or any alignment aides on my putter and I have never used one. We see the line as perpendicular or parallel, meaning you align the putter in your head on the line like a hockey stick or a pool cue. I see it like a hockey stick so the face is what I use to align my putter and I find any alignment is just confusing to my subconscious. I am a very zen like putter and not technical like rolling over a spot, etc. I try to let my brain take in the line kinda like hiking down a rocky path where your are looking ahead but your brain tells your feet where to step without looking down. All I concentrate on is speed and once my brain has taken in the line, I don't think of it again, just the right speed. 

... I don't like sight lines or any alignment aides on my putter and I have never used one. We see the line as perpendicular or parallel, meaning you align the putter in your head on the line like a hockey stick or a pool cue. I see it like a hockey stick so the face is what I use to align my putter and I find any alignment is just confusing to my subconscious. I am a very zen like putter and not technical like rolling over a spot, etc. I try to let my brain take in the line kinda like hiking down a rocky path where your are looking ahead but your brain tells your feet where to step without looking down. All I concentrate on is speed and once my brain has taken in the line, I don't think of it again, just the right speed.

Love your thoughts on this. I feel like not having the sight line is very freeing and has me focusing more on pace and line. That said I can't do without my line on the ball, I have tried numerous times and my putting suffers for it.

Sent from my HTC 10 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Speedzone Xtreme 11.5*

Bio Cell+ 18.5*

G10 24*

Srixon U85 26*

Mizuno MP-32 6-PW

Vokey SM6  52* and 58*

Taylormade TP5x

Love your thoughts on this. I feel like not having the sight line is very freeing and has me focusing more on pace and line. That said I can't do without my line on the ball, I have tried numerous times and my putting suffers for it.

... That is the crazy thing about golf, everyone is different in the way we process information and put it to use and I learned that teaching. A line on the ball has me concentrating on the line on the ball and not the speed. I like to align my ball so it looks blank with logo's and alignment aids down or on the side. So many use a line on their ball with great success and we all have to find what makes sense and what works for us.

... That is the crazy thing about golf, everyone is different in the way we process information and put it to use and I learned that teaching. A line on the ball has me concentrating on the line on the ball and not the speed. I like to align my ball so it looks blank with logo's and alignment aids down or on the side. So many use a line on their ball with great success and we all have to find what makes sense and what works for us.

Yes crazy is definitely the right word for golf 😂. For me the line is more of an afterthought on where to start it. Allowing me to mainly worry about speed.

Speedzone Xtreme 11.5*

Bio Cell+ 18.5*

G10 24*

Srixon U85 26*

Mizuno MP-32 6-PW

Vokey SM6  52* and 58*

Taylormade TP5x

I am obviously a TM loyalist but I was baffled when I first used it. The feeling off the face is so good. It's hard to get used to it when you're inside 5 feet but long putts are effortless. I was a Scotty user prior to making my switch and I don't see myself going back. If you read the MGS putter reviews they have it up there pretty high too so that should be word enough.

I always played with sight lines and having a clean top was refreshing for me. It actually got me to think more of line and feel the putt rather than focus on setup. Got me back to the days when I could roll it really good.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I am obviously a TM loyalist but I was baffled when I first used it. The feeling off the face is so good. It's hard to get used to it when you're inside 5 feet but long putts are effortless. I was a Scotty user prior to making my switch and I don't see myself going back. If you read the MGS putter reviews they have it up there pretty high too so that should be word enough.

... And here is golf, especially equipment, in a nutshell. I have always used a blade 8802 style putter and coming from a Bobby Grace 6330 with a soft face insert so the Spider Black face feels awful to me but I need the toe hang or I would have bought the Red. And my experience is the exact opposite of yours. Short putts are almost automatic but I am still trying to find my range with long putts. It is such a crazy game. :wacko:  

... OK experiment is over and Black Spider is out of the bag. Started the back 9 hitting irons to within 6 feet on the first 5 holes. Obviously not something I am used to seeing but was only able to make 3 out of 5 and one I made was a few inches so basically 2 out of 4. 50% inside 6 feet is awful and I didn't hit the hole on the two I missed. I just don't have any feel with the Spider compared to my old reliable blade that would most likely have been 4 out of 4 because they were easy putts with a gentle break or straight in. 

... I think the Spider Tour is a great putter for someone with a more mechanical stroke but it just doesn't seem to work for a feel putter. 

... OK experiment is over and Black Spider is out of the bag. Started the back 9 hitting irons to within 6 feet on the first 5 holes. Obviously not something I am used to seeing but was only able to make 3 out of 5 and one I made was a few inches so basically 2 out of 4. 50% inside 6 feet is awful and I didn't hit the hole on the two I missed. I just don't have any feel with the Spider compared to my old reliable blade that would most likely have been 4 out of 4 because they were easy putts with a gentle break or straight in. 

... I think the Spider Tour is a great putter for someone with a more mechanical stroke but it just doesn't seem to work for a feel putter. 

Did you try adding a sight line? I added one and it helped with the short ones. 

8hhf0J5.png

Did you try adding a sight line? I added one and it helped with the short ones. 

... Thanks but I do not like sight lines. My problem is the size of the putter head. After playing with a thin looking heel shafted 8802 style putter for 30 years the Spider Tour is just so unwieldy, at least to my eye. But like a true golf forum member, I took it out for a farewell round yesterday and putted much better with it. I might give it a few more rounds to see if I can ignore the size and just putt like I always have. 

... Thanks but I do to like sight lines. My problem is the size of the putter head. After playing with a thin looking heel shafted 8802 style putter for 30 years the Spider Tour is just so unwieldy, at least to my eye. But like a true golf forum member, I took it out for a farewell round yesterday and putted much better with it. I might give it a few more rounds to see if I can ignore the size and just putt like I always have. 

I hear you, similiar story for me too. I had it in, took it out of my bag, then I am giving it another shot. This time with a sight line added. 

I played 9 holes last night and the line helps a lot. I wish I would have gotten the DJ version. The red one is a little soft for my taste. Naturally, once i took it out of the store I realized that. 

8hhf0J5.png

Found out the other day that the Tour Red is useless for me on slow greens. Which really sucks because on quick greens I love this one. May have to go back to my GoLo as I could make it work for slow or fast greens.

Speedzone Xtreme 11.5*

Bio Cell+ 18.5*

G10 24*

Srixon U85 26*

Mizuno MP-32 6-PW

Vokey SM6  52* and 58*

Taylormade TP5x

i use to have the Red Day Spider Tour. actually really liked the putter. even with out the sight line it was still very easy to aim the putter. i would buy the weight kit because they come standard very light feel. the reason i don't have my day putter anymore. the black face started to chip off the black paint and it was showing white grooves and that was less then 24hours of owning the putter and only 20min on the practice green. took it back and got store credit and ordered a Scotty Cameron Newport M1. best putter i've bought and wish i did it sooner. if u want a good putter get a scotty. yea they pricy but well worth it. easy to putt and rolls so good. better then the spider tour tbh

Found out the other day that the Tour Red is useless for me on slow greens. Which really sucks because on quick greens I love this one. May have to go back to my GoLo as I could make it work for slow or fast greens.

maybe try and add weight for slow greens. i find the red day was very light and was good on fast icy green but wasn't good on slow greens

Taylormade M2 - Driver

Taylormade M2 - 3W

Callaway Apex - 3i-9i

Vokey SM6 - 46°, 54°, 60°

SC - Newport M1

Taylormade - TP5X