TESTERS WANTED! ×

Considering a new putter

Brian A

So I am debating on getting a new putter, I currently use the TaylorMade Spider Blade Counter Balanced putter. I am a fairly decent putter, usually average under 2 per hole. I am ready to go all in on a putter, and was looking at a Cameron Newport or going totally different style with the Spider (since it seems to be the most popular on tour now).  

Are either of these really going to help me that much?

After playing around in the store with the spider it seems that this club is harder turn or not come back smooth and straight with due to the longer backside, is that the purpose of the design or am I crazy? 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Putting is extremely personal, i wouldn't switch to a huge mallet, just because PGA guys are winning with it......You need to try a bunch out, I bought a Scotty a little over a year ago, and LOVE it, but it might not fit your eye..........Also, look at EVNRoll, Bettinardi, Cleveland, etc....they all make great putters, the question is, which one fits YOU

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

If I was averaging under 2 putts per hole with a petrified turd taped to a stick the last thing I would consider is changing my putter.

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

If I was averaging under 2 putts per hole with a petrified turd taped to a stick the last thing I would consider is changing my putter.

I think we have a winner for comment of the day!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/LibertyBallMarkers

I think we have a winner for comment of the day!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/LibertyBallMarkers

and an idea for a custom putter!

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I have to admit this made me laugh. I double checked my app, its 2 per hole 1.7 with GIR. So not quite under 2.

I just assumed that a better putter help drop it below 1.5

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

SeeMore, EVNROLL and MLA have some of the best reputations as far as helping alignment.  Check all three IMO. 

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -      Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                          Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                                          Putter -    Evnroll ER2
Rangefinder -  NX-10 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                            Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

I just assumed that a better putter help drop it below 1.5

I guess the question is what do you consider a better putter? Does the fact that a PGA pro plays the putter or that it costs $500 make it better?

The best putter is the on you can start on you intended line and that you can roll a specific distance.

Putters are designed in varying configurations to accommodate the way you putt. If you want to play a particular putter because it looks good just understand you may have to change your stroke to get it work properly

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I recently bought the Cleveland 2135 8.0 and I love it. Feels great off the face and is super responsive. I basically lived at the PGA Superstore for two weeks as I tried every putter under the sun for something I wanted. Like everyone has said above, its a very personal decision as I have a friend who basically puts with a hunk of metal of the end of a stick and loves it. To each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

Putting is extremely personal, i wouldn't switch to a huge mallet, just because PGA guys are winning with it......You need to try a bunch out, I bought a Scotty a little over a year ago, and LOVE it, but it might not fit your eye..........Also, look at EVNRoll, Bettinardi, Cleveland, etc....they all make great putters, the question is, which one fits YOU

Putting is very personal.  I happen to despise the look and feel of a mallet style putter.  The classic look of an Anser style flat stick is what appeals to me.  I however cannot putt with one to save my life.  Instead the golf gods have cursed me, and their will is for me to putt with one of the most hideous putters ever made.  But..it works.

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

If you can make putts with a paint bucket on the end of a broom stick, so be it. Those pretty putters might look good however if it ain't putting out, you got to kick er out of the bed

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Rather than looks, make sure you get a putter that matches your type of stroke.  Face-balanced, slight arc, strong arc; if you get one that doesn't match your putter stroke, it will fight you.  Then get the correct length and lie angle.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Rather than looks, make sure you get a putter that matches your type of stroke. Face-balanced, slight arc, strong arc; if you get one that doesn't match your putter stroke, it will fight you. Then get the correct length and lie angle.

Guilty. I bought a putter suited for strong arc, but it looks "cool" i can't hit big cups from 6'z

- Da Yooper

@low_fade (instagram)

KB another thing as i am sitting here looking at putters is the feel when it leaves the putter head. Do you like a soft feel from an insert that most phtters have today or a traditional milled blade or mallet. If i could have my wish for the putter of my dreams it would be ?????

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Rocket blades

vokey wedges

Wilson 8802

I am looking at the Edel Brick or the Ping Sigma Kushin. I've read all I can find about the Edel. Anyone gaming that Ping?

I game the Sigma G Anser, and I've tested the Kushin and they're both amazing putters. I ordered the Anser before I had a chance to test the Kushin, and I almost regret it. I like the weighting of the Kushin just a little more I think. Very solid putters.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

KB another thing as i am sitting here looking at putters is the feel when it leaves the putter head. Do you like a soft feel from an insert that most phtters have today or a traditional milled blade or mallet. If i could have my wish for the putter of my dreams it would be ?????

I prefer a milled face.  I am not a fan of the Odyssey line.  It seems like the inserts take away a feeling when I strike the ball that I like on milled face putters.  Maybe it's just me, but...

I game the Sigma G Anser, and I've tested the Kushin and they're both amazing putters. I ordered the Anser before I had a chance to test the Kushin, and I almost regret it. I like the weighting of the Kushin just a little more I think. Very solid putters.

When I was fitted for putters at Ping HQ in February, the Kushin was the best.  However, when I got back home and went to the golf shop, they had the Kinloch C putter, and that center-shaft really felt good.  It would be a toss-up between those two.  The Sigma G is not a milled face, but it has aluminum in the polymer.  I liked the feel of these putters; I just wish they were a little heavier.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I am also a fan of milled faces. Not to say that inserts are bad, just a preference on feel and level of feedback. So it is really hard to make any recommendations on putters, there are lots of different types that work for different people. Playing the right stroke fit as mentioned above is probably one variable to pay attention to, after that probably what alignment aid works for you.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Jokes aside I'm planning a trip to get fitted for an Edel. Putting is the worst part of my game. I always miss left, no matter what I do.

Have you tried aiming to the right?

Asking for a friend...

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

From what i have read on our site , i am extremely impressed with Evnroll.

MotorCityKitty ditched his Scotty for an EVNRoll, (unsure which model) last time we played together, he made everything he looked at, and I see on Grint he has posted several 70's rounds in a row.

Just sayin'...

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Good start would be the Most Wanted Mallet and Blade tests on the Main blog.

Most Wanted Mallet Test

Most Wanted Blade Test

A fitting, if available wherever you are, is always a good idea before spending any kind of money at all on a putter.  Without a clear idea of what you need in terms of length, lie, loft etc, it's a shot in the dark.  Had an Edel fitting a couple of years ago and it changed the way I think about putters - learned I really shouldn't be using a blade (mallet or mid-mallet is best for me, but maybe not for the next guy).  

And just for giggle, I bought a MacGregor Bobby Grace M5K mallet on the Bay a few weeks ago -- cut it down to 33 inches and put a counter weighted grip on it -- I'm starting to love it and it may -- MAY - force me put my Edel on the bench for a while, something I never would have thought possible a few months ago. 

Here's a link to the Edel fitting blog

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I just went through the same process and here are my results. Decided on mallet due to weight and stability. Final 4 were evnroll er7, mla, directed force and scotty x7. Evnroll was my choice that is until I attended the nj golf show and Bobby Grace happened to be there. Tried his f-18 and bought it on the spot. He fit, customized and built it in 20mins. After 3 rounds loved it bought a 2nd for my other bag i keep at my SC place. All have lots of technology although different. Just liked feel of BG. At that point its just up to you cant go wrong. Was very intrigued by Directed Force but no opportunity to demo it in my area. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yes WAYY right. I just got glasses. It might be the slight change in peripheral. I didn't have this problem last year or any year for that matter.

Also, I have a fairly straight take away and follow through and a putter designed for an arced shape. I can feel it right away, and I traded my old putter for it. So I think it's time.

- Da Yooper

Everyone mentions feel off the face, honestly I cant tell the difference between any putter for "Feel". Not sure if I even know what that means. Honestly I have tried using putters that have no face milling or inserts and then my putter, it all seems to be the same

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Can I pick all of the above?

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Archived