Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Considering a new putter

Brian A

I found the specs on their website, kind of out of the way actually. ALL of the current Futura's are face balanced.

http://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/putters

Click see Futura details, scroll down it's on the bottom of the page. Toe flow "minimum" for all.

- Alan

Minimum still has an arc just less of one. The 5 CB and MB are certainly not face balance putters. Not sure about the larger mallets as I have not spent any time with them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for any misinformation... I assumed that the center shafted models should be balanced.

No worries, was just trying to help out. Center shafted does not necessarily mean face balanced. If I get time tomorrow I will post some pictures of different putters I own and the toe hang.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Do you plan on sticking with a counterbalanced putter? If so what length?

Sent from my LG-D851 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

See this is where Im a bit of a newbie, what does that mean on counter balance? I have 35 in right now, dont know if thats the right length or not

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

See this is where Im a bit of a newbie, what does that mean on counter balance? I have 35 in right now, dont know if thats the right length or not

Counterbalanced putters have additional weight added to the butt end of the club to move the balance point higher. Generally the weight is supposed to be above the hands meaning that if you use a 35 inch putter a counter balanced putter would be more like 38 inches. With grips like the new superstroke counterbalanced the weight can be at the hands. The additional weight can simply be a heavier grip or actual weights

The goal is to help make the putter swing more like a pendulum. Generally the head on a counterbalanced putter is over 375 grams.

Ultimately what you use will be partially personal preference. If you can start the ball on your intended line then that is what you should use. If you aren't then you can start tweaking the putter configuration

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Counterbalanced putters have additional weight added to the butt end of the club to move the balance point higher. Generally the weight is supposed to be above the hands meaning that if you use a 35 inch putter a counter balanced putter would be more like 38 inches. With grips like the new superstroke counterbalanced the weight can be at the hands. The additional weight can simply be a heavier grip or actual weights

The goal is to help make the putter swing more like a pendulum. Generally the head on a counterbalanced putter is over 375 grams.

Ultimately what you use will be partially personal preference. If you can start the ball on your intended line then that is what you should use. If you aren't then you can start tweaking the putter configuration

Again dumb question, how do I know if its counter balanced? Do I currently have a counter balance putter? This is why I originally started this post. I have no idea what to even look for

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

So I am debating on getting a new putter, I currently use the TaylorMade Spider Blade Counter Balanced putter. I am a fairly decent putter, usually average under 2 per hole. I am ready to go all in on a putter, and was looking at a Cameron Newport or going totally different style with the Spider (since it seems to be the most popular on tour now).

Are either of these really going to help me that much?

After playing around in the store with the spider it seems that this club is harder turn or not come back smooth and straight with due to the longer backside, is that the purpose of the design or am I crazy?

I've got a Cameron Golo 3 available if interested.

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Again dumb question, how do I know if its counter balanced? Do I currently have a counter balance putter? This is why I originally started this post. I have no idea what to even look for

I don;t know what kind of putter you have.  Most new putters have a weight that is inserted into the butt end of the grip and it would be easily recognizable.  If someone did  a DIY counterbalance they could have inserted a weight under the grip.

In my opinion when looking for a putter, the first thing you should do is find one that enables you to start the ball on its intended line.  You can put an object like a dime about 16" in front of a ball and see what putter rolls the ball over that dime using any length stoke the most consistently.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Apparently mine is counter balanaced. Its the "TaylorMade Ghost Spider Blade Counterbalance Putter" When I started to get back in to golf I was at the TM outlet in myrtle beach and it was discounted and the guy gave me extra 20% off and got it for like $60

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Ok so you have a counter balanced putter. Regarding your question about a new putter, what are you trying to fix?

Ok so you have a counter balanced putter. Regarding your question about a new putter, what are you trying to fix?

Taking fewer putts per hole... Im not really sure what you mean by trying to fix? 

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Taking fewer putts per hole... Im not really sure what you mean by trying to fix?

Why do you miss putts? Miss left or right? Distance control?

There are basic skills in putting. The first skill you have to master is starting the ball on your intended line. If you can't do that you won't be able to control speed or read greens. Do you start putts on the line you want to start them?

In hand photos of the 5 putters. Tried them all. The Scotty MB was my favorite. Now I need to sell some stuff. More face balanced than the Spider.

The Scotty MB and the CB performed about equal, I just didn't like the black half moon thing on the back of the CB.

The Taylormade Spider I thought I was going to really like. But the Red really distracted me. Very well put together piece of equipment.

The Odyssey... those lines make lining up a breeze, glad I picked an older model of this. (Should be here friday)

The Scotty Newport. Ah yes, traditional looks and feel. But I'd take either of the Futura's over it.

Feel: I think the Taylormade won the soft off the face award. The Scotty's provided a nice medium feel off the face with a 17' Pro V.

The two blade putters felt a little wobbly to me. The mallets were nice and easy to use. I intend to go back and do some on course demoing with the 2 Scotty's.

So, thinking about my Evnroll fitting and purchase (notwithstanding the opportunity to meet Mr. Rife), I am frankly amazed at the positive differences of actually going through their putter fitting process. One word review - Amazing!

Having read the reviews and watched several YouTube vids, I made the appointment to head to Carlsbad. My eye was attracted to the ER-2 (squareback), however, after the folks evaluated my stroke I wound up with the ER-5.

I love this putter, it just seems to "hug" the putting surface and goes where it's pointed for sure, but my whole point (which now seems obvious, I guess) is to communicate that being fitted for the putter very well may be the most significant, high value fitting money can buy. Shout out and thanks to the crew at Evnroll!

I'm playing a TM Juno with a gripmaster leather grip. Drained two 30-40 footers today with it. It's a great putter if you like blades.

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

In my opinion when looking for a putter, the first thing you should do is find one that enables you to start the ball on its intended line. You can put an object like a dime about 16" in front of a ball and see what putter rolls the ball over that dime using any length stoke the most consistently.

I can vouch for this dime drill. I like extending it out to even 3 feet if the surface is relatively flat. Has helped my putting a lot.

Why do you miss putts? Miss left or right? Distance control?

There are basic skills in putting. The first skill you have to master is starting the ball on your intended line. If you can't do that you won't be able to control speed or read greens. Do you start putts on the line you want to start them?

They dont usually go where I want them too, no consistent left or right pattern, lately I've been longer than short. I know Im not the best player but Im missing things that no one should miss. I have one of those cheap putting mats that has the little hill at home and I can usually hit those. 

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

They dont usually go where I want them too, no consistent left or right pattern, lately I've been longer than short. I know Im not the best player but Im missing things that no one should miss. I have one of those cheap putting mats that has the little hill at home and I can usually hit those.

Are you near an Edel fitting center?

- Alan

Are you near an Edel fitting center?

- Alan

I am about 35 min away?

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

There should be a consistent pattern. The left and then right is more the result of compensating for the last miss. Do the dime drill and see if you miss more left or more right. If you are really that inconsistent. I would would on getting a consistent setup and ball position.

I can vouch for this dime drill. I like extending it out to even 3 feet if the surface is relatively flat. Has helped my putting a lot.

3 feet is probably farther than you need. If you can hit a dime consistently at I think 20" that is the same as .5* of error which would make a straight 20 foot putt. The distance might be an inch or 2 off since i did the math a while ago.

They have a really good fitting model. Haven't done it but the reviews are awesome. I'd check into those putters.

- Alan

Be sure to bring your tax return....ALL of it !   :D

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024: