Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Considering a new putter

Brian A

@Plaid I don't doubt you at all. My putter was a serious miss fit even though I managed to adjust to it.

I used to do putters like anyone else, go to the store and hit them until I found one that I liked at a good price point. I had been struggling with my blade and mallets were all the rage. I found a mallet at a great deal and had success with it on money putts. My distance control stank though mainly because I miss hit it often but my distance control and never been a strength. The fitting improved that for me.

The improved sweet spot on the EVNRoll has really helped my distance control.

Like you I've had good fittings and a real bad miss on a set of irons. It was with the Mizuno shaft optimizer that lots of people rave about. My fitter swore it said steel. I had been in graphite for five years prior already. That was a disaster in a beautiful set of irons.

At least I know enough about equipment now not to be fooled like that again. I've got a fitting question on fairway wood(s) but I will ask it elsewhere. I don't really want to go spend $100 on a fitting for a club that I'm only going to use a couple of times a round.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I being absolutely truthful about my putter fitting. And keeping with the truthfulness..... I never did any actual before or after collection of stat data. I just know is all. If I had noticed any improvement I would have crowed about it big time. It just wasn't there for me. Not at all.

I am not doubting you.   Could have been the fitter,  could have been that you were using the best putter for your stroke,  could be lots of things.   That is why we post our experiences and allow people to ask questions and get feedback both positive and negative. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I get asked this question by my friends quite a bit since they know about how much a golf nut I am. I always advise them that putting is all personal preference. I have limited edition putters I bought because of the craftsmanship and appeal, but can't make a putt to save my life with them. Beyon feel, I always tell them to take the club to a practice putting green and pay attention if the ball rolls or skips. If it's rolling more than skipping, you have a fighting chance lol.

Sent from my VS990 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: 10.5° XR with Aldila Rogue Silver 60

:cleveland-small:  15° HiBore XLS with Fujikura Gold

:titelist-small:  19° 913H with Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana S+

:titelist-small: 24° 913H with Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana S+

:ping-small:  5-PW Ping i25 with KBS Tour Stiff Steel

:ping-small:  50° Glide SS Wedge with CFS Wedge

:ping-small: 55° Glide SS Wedge (Back-Heel Combo Grind) with CFS Wedge

:ping-small:  60° Glide SS Wedge with CFS Wedge

:callaway-small:  Odyssey Works Tank Versa 2-Ball Fang

Golf Pride MCC Plus4 Grips +2" 

Although a new putter may be exciting, don't be afraid to "re-bag" one of your oldies. I believe (don't we all) that I am an above average putter, at least better than anyone I play with. At the end of last year I starting losing my feel for distance and speed: and it does effect your confidence. I have a few putters (again, don't we all), mostly Pings, Betti's, a TP Mills and an old Rife Tour Blade 460. After putting around on my rug for a bit this winter, I put a new Rife mid-size grip on the 460, and so far this year my putting has been at least as good as I have ever putted if not better. Just changing your putter can bring about positive results. Pull out your old buddies and maybe you will find that "new" stroke with an "old" friend.

Arthur

Driver, Callaway Rogue
5W, Callaway Epic
7W, Honma TW747
Irons, 4 - A TM RocketBladez
Wedges, 54, 58 Callaway Mac Daddy 4
Putter, Odyssey O-Works Black 3

Ball Callaway ERC or Supersoft

Yes WAYY right. I just got glasses. It might be the slight change in peripheral. I didn't have this problem last year or any year for that matter.

- Da Yooper

@low_fade (instagram)

Next bet, close your eyes? It worked on Caddy Shack.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

So I am debating on getting a new putter, I currently use the TaylorMade Spider Blade Counter Balanced putter. I am a fairly decent putter, usually average under 2 per hole. I am ready to go all in on a putter, and was looking at a Cameron Newport or going totally different style with the Spider (since it seems to be the most popular on tour now).  

Are either of these really going to help me that much?

After playing around in the store with the spider it seems that this club is harder turn or not come back smooth and straight with due to the longer backside, is that the purpose of the design or am I crazy? 

Putting is all mental so yes your putter will make a difference. Find something you love the look of and, in turn, you will roll it better. 

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

If you are half an hour from an edel putting center I'm confused as to why you wouldn't go get fitted.

I bought my last putter for $60, went for a putter fitting with it that cost me $100 including the work and it stayed in my bag for ten years. That's a pretty good value.

My current putter is an EVNroll that Guerin Rife fit me for over the phone base on the results of that original fitting. The difference is that I get better distance control off of my miss hits with the new putter.

IMO a putter fitting is the quickest way to save strokes. Lessons and practice through the bag would be the best way.

Good luck

Let us not forget Reverend, that you have blessed that EVNRoll putter too , so there may be some divine intervention in those putting abilities

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Although a new putter may be exciting, don't be afraid to "re-bag" one of your oldies. I believe (don't we all) that I am an above average putter, at least better than anyone I play with. At the end of last year I starting losing my feel for distance and speed: and it does effect your confidence. I have a few putters (again, don't we all), mostly Pings, Betti's, a TP Mills and an old Rife Tour Blade 460. After putting around on my rug for a bit this winter, I put a new Rife mid-size grip on the 460, and so far this year my putting has been at least as good as I have ever putted if not better. Just changing your putter can bring about positive results. Pull out your old buddies and maybe you will find that "new" stroke with an "old" friend.

Sadly the only putter I have is the one thats in my bag, otherwise Id have tried that

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Well I made my choice. Thanks for all the help

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Didn't attach the first time

IMG_2302.JPG

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

• 2 weeks later...

Archived