TESTERS WANTED! ×

Considering a new putter

Brian A

I would love to jump in on an EvnRoll, but can't justify that much for a putter, yet.  Trusty 2-ball works good enough for now.

WITB
Driver: :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha udesign
Woods: :callaway-small: XR 3w, 7w
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX EZ Forged 2016 4-G
Wedge: :ping-small: Eye 2 Gorge S
Putter: Odyssey Works Versa 2-Ball Fang

Ball: :callaway-small: Supersoft 2017

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone mentions feel off the face, honestly I cant tell the difference between any putter for "Feel". Not sure if I even know what that means. Honestly I have tried using putters that have no face milling or inserts and then my putter, it all seems to be the same

For some people, I believe it's a placebo effect. Sometimes the price and popularity of the putter make some people believe the feel is better, when in reality there are probably many putters that compete with said expensive putters in the feel category. Nothing against Scotty's, Bettinardis, or Evnrolls, it's really all about what you prefer.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

3 pages in and no mention of Sentio

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

I am looking at the Edel Brick or the Ping Sigma Kushin. I've read all I can find about the Edel. Anyone gaming that Ping?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I went in looking at the Sigma G Anser and came out with the Kushin. Basically, they are both "blades" but the Answer is a true blade and the Kushin falls somewhere in the middle of the blade/mallet spectrum (this is what my fitter told me). With blades, I tend to leave the face open, with mallets, I would close it. The Kushin just worked for me. Go get fit, see what works for you.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I recently bought the Cleveland 2135 8.0 and I love it. Feels great off the face and is super responsive. I basically lived at the PGA Superstore for two weeks as I tried every putter under the sun for something I wanted. Like everyone has said above, its a very personal decision as I have a friend who basically puts with a hunk of metal of the end of a stick and loves it. To each his own.

I have a 2135 as well. It's a great putter at half the cost of a scotty ;)

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

For some people, I believe it's a placebo effect. Sometimes the price and popularity of the putter make some people believe the feel is better, when in reality there are probably many putters that compete with said expensive putters in the feel category. Nothing against Scotty's, Bettinardis, or Evnrolls, it's really all about what you prefer.

Feel is really sound. Some people like a clicky sound and some like more of a thud. Yes it is personal preference but there are factors that change the sound such as milling depth, face thickness, inserts, etc. and it isn't dependent on price. I say sound and not feel since that is really what people are interpreting. Studies have shown that if you take away the sound aspect people can't tell the difference

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Yes WAYY right. I just got glasses. It might be the slight change in peripheral. I didn't have this problem last year or any year for that matter.

- Da Yooper

@low_fade (instagram)

I'm not sure why you have a putter designed for an arc stroke when you say that you have a fairly straight backstroke and follow-through.  It seems like a more face-balanced putter would be a better fit.

Also, check out the thread from a few years ago on eye dominance for some thoughts.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/13150-eye-dominance/

There are also many threads about putting woes; some people like to line up their ball with the intended path then align their putter to the alignment aid on the ball.  Others do not.  I have found that aligning the ball and putter works best for me because I am right-eye dominant.  When I do this then stand over the ball, it doesn't look right, but I had to learn to trust my read from behind the ball.  Eventually, I quit looking at the ball altogether after I had aligned my putter.  I make all my putts now looking at the hole during the stroke, trusting my initial read; like throwing darts or horseshoes.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm not sure why you have a putter designed for an arc stroke when you say that you have a fairly straight backstroke and follow-through. It seems like a more face-balanced putter would be a better fit.

Also, check out the thread from a few years ago on eye dominance for some thoughts.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/13150-eye-dominance/

There are also many threads about putting woes; some people like to line up their ball with the intended path then align their putter to the alignment aid on the ball. Others do not. I have found that aligning the ball and putter works best for me because I am right-eye dominant. When I do this then stand over the ball, it doesn't look right, but I had to learn to trust my read from behind the ball. Eventually, I quit looking at the ball altogether after I had aligned my putter. I make all my putts now looking at the hole during the stroke, trusting my initial read; like throwing darts or horseshoes.

Bought it for the looks, did absolutely no research. I fully intend to get fitted when I get a chance. I use the alignment aid on the putter, and have some success just not where I could be with putting, my distance is spot on, just a left miss, sometimes a right but mostly left. I had an old Zebra putter for the longest time. It was face balanced if I remember correctly, made a lot more putts. I'm definitely right eye dominant, and with the new glasses it is just going to be a learning curve. But a new putter is definitely needed for me to drain some more putts.

Thanks for the tips! I'll give them a try. Can't hurt that's for sure.

- Da Yooper

@low_fade (instagram)

Yeah, I know. Probably should. But they were so dang ugly.

- Alan

Well, the Red X looks kinda like a Zebra, so that's out.

If you want a blade, Newport 2.6.

If you want a mallet, you'd better GOLO...

http://www.etsy.com/shop/LibertyBallMarkers

Everyone mentions feel off the face, honestly I cant tell the difference between any putter for "Feel". Not sure if I even know what that means. Honestly I have tried using putters that have no face milling or inserts and then my putter, it all seems to be the same

YES!

Cant tell you haw many times the ball was the only factor determining "feel".

The putter changed when the Balata went away for the multi compound ball. Ie, change the ball, change the club(s). This is as much the deal as anything else. When that did happen the only thing that mattered for us guys that could hang around the putting green all day was the right ball for the putter you liked. The one that you stroked staight back and straight through the best.

The B60 went in the closet for an Odyssey simply for the balls we could play and the stroke it produced; the ball we played had to work for the putter we liked. The B60 was a Balata machine, and a multi compound sledge hammer for me. Hitting a "solid" put is my only thought in the end. Many balls that I found over the years and were able to play didnt work for my putter, and they didnt work for me for that reason too.

The Odyssey that replaced the B60 has stayed and the ball has changed to suit my putter more then anything over the years. The all fly right when you hit them right and "feel" was for the irons but the putter decided whether or not it was THE ball of choice. Chasing flat sticks was an endless cycle that changed very little I found, and the ball was the difference for that "feel" which is simply confidence in the end.

Yes WAYY right. I just got glasses. It might be the slight change in peripheral. I didn't have this problem last year or any year for that matter.

- Da Yooper

@low_fade (instagram)

Bifocal? It'll make you lower your head down lower so its clear in vision.

I only have the "top prescription" in my golf glasses

Sent from my SM-N910V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Bifocal? It'll make you lower your head down lower so its clear in vision.

I only have the "top prescription" in my golf glasses

Sent from my SM-N910V using MyGolfSpy mobile app[/quote

No bifocals but when I move them the ball moves about an inch. Hard to explain. I feel farther from the ball with them on.

- Alan

So I am debating on getting a new putter, I currently use the TaylorMade Spider Blade Counter Balanced putter. I am a fairly decent putter, usually average under 2 per hole. I am ready to go all in on a putter, and was looking at a Cameron Newport or going totally different style with the Spider (since it seems to be the most popular on tour now).

Are either of these really going to help me that much?

After playing around in the store with the spider it seems that this club is harder turn or not come back smooth and straight with due to the longer backside, is that the purpose of the design or am I crazy?

Do you plan on sticking with a counterbalanced putter? If so what length?

Sent from my LG-D851 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I was in our local golf store this week, and I always cruise through the putter section.  I have been looking at the Ping Sigma G putters since I visited Ping HQ in February.  One day it feels good, other days it doesn't.

I looked at the TM Spider but I just couldn't bring myself to pick it up.  I really don't like the look of big putters like that.  However, right next to it was the TaylorMade OS CB Monte Carlo.  The shortest one they make is 34.5 inches which is way to long for me, but the CB grip is long and I can take my normal stance and grip and not be on the steel.  I made everything with that putter!!  I had never used a CB model putter before, but I could be very tempted to get that one.  I will be making several more trips to try it out again, just to see if it's a one night stand.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I was in our local golf store this week, and I always cruise through the putter section. I have been looking at the Ping Sigma G putters since I visited Ping HQ in February. One day it feels good, other days it doesn't.

I looked at the TM Spider but I just couldn't bring myself to pick it up. I really don't like the look of big putters like that. However, right next to it was the TaylorMade OS CB Monte Carlo. The shortest one they make is 34.5 inches which is way to long for me, but the CB grip is long and I can take my normal stance and grip and not be on the steel. I made everything with that putter!! I had never used a CB model putter before, but I could be very tempted to get that one. I will be making several more trips to try it out again, just to see if it's a one night stand.

Did you give the Kushin a try? I'm about 3 clicks from buying one.

- Alan

I am also tempted by the Spider because it seems like every single Tour player is playing it, which certainly suggests it is top quality. But I am still going to get fit for one. I was using one of the new throwback Ansers that came out last year but just pulled it from the bag last week in favor of going back to an older odyssey blade. I can't help myself on the tinkering...

One other thing to consider is switching the grip. You can get grips that have a weight in the top of them which make them counterbalanced that also changes the feel a bit and could give you a chance to make more putts if having more weight near your hands works for you.

I switched last year to a counter balanced Scotty Cameron Newport.

I'm never going back. Ive fooled around for years constantly buying putters. I love the look down the shaft off the "blade" and honestly what Scotty has done with this putter is amazing. Take a look. I know he is pricey but he's worth every penny.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Did you give the Kushin a try? I'm about 3 clicks from buying one.

- Alan

When I was at Ping HQ for the fitting, the Kushin was the one that fit my stroke the best.  I liked it and made 9 out of 10 putts with it from 7 feet when they had the iPing cradle attached to it.  I think they chose the Kushin for me because my putter is an anser-style putter, but I have been putting well in the store with the Tyne lately.  I'm a retired engineer, so I will be looking for a looooong time before I make a change!!

Been looking at the O-Works # 9.

The Inovai 3.0 and me are not getting along very well.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

GOLO S, Newport 2.6, Red X, Futura 5X...

Only the X5r of those you mentioned is face balanced. The Futura and Futura X are as well. Face balance and Cameron generally do. It go hand in hand.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Sorry for any misinformation... I assumed that the center shafted models should be balanced.

I found the specs on their website, kind of out of the way actually. ALL of the current Futura's are face balanced.

http://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/putters

Click see Futura details, scroll down it's on the bottom of the page. Toe flow "minimum" for all.

- Alan

Archived