Considering a new putter

Brian A

KB another thing as i am sitting here looking at putters is the feel when it leaves the putter head. Do you like a soft feel from an insert that most phtters have today or a traditional milled blade or mallet. If i could have my wish for the putter of my dreams it would be ?????

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I prefer a milled face.  I am not a fan of the Odyssey line.  It seems like the inserts take away a feeling when I strike the ball that I like on milled face putters.  Maybe it's just me, but...

I game the Sigma G Anser, and I've tested the Kushin and they're both amazing putters. I ordered the Anser before I had a chance to test the Kushin, and I almost regret it. I like the weighting of the Kushin just a little more I think. Very solid putters.

When I was fitted for putters at Ping HQ in February, the Kushin was the best.  However, when I got back home and went to the golf shop, they had the Kinloch C putter, and that center-shaft really felt good.  It would be a toss-up between those two.  The Sigma G is not a milled face, but it has aluminum in the polymer.  I liked the feel of these putters; I just wish they were a little heavier.

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I am also a fan of milled faces. Not to say that inserts are bad, just a preference on feel and level of feedback. So it is really hard to make any recommendations on putters, there are lots of different types that work for different people. Playing the right stroke fit as mentioned above is probably one variable to pay attention to, after that probably what alignment aid works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2
:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Jokes aside I'm planning a trip to get fitted for an Edel. Putting is the worst part of my game. I always miss left, no matter what I do.

Have you tried aiming to the right?

Asking for a friend... [emoji23]

• Like 3

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Nippon N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

From what i have read on our site , i am extremely impressed with Evnroll.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

MotorCityKitty ditched his Scotty for an EVNRoll, (unsure which model) last time we played together, he made everything he looked at, and I see on Grint he has posted several 70's rounds in a row.

Just sayin'... [emoji6]

• Like 1

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Nippon N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Good start would be the Most Wanted Mallet and Blade tests on the Main blog.

Most Wanted Mallet Test

Most Wanted Blade Test

A fitting, if available wherever you are, is always a good idea before spending any kind of money at all on a putter.  Without a clear idea of what you need in terms of length, lie, loft etc, it's a shot in the dark.  Had an Edel fitting a couple of years ago and it changed the way I think about putters - learned I really shouldn't be using a blade (mallet or mid-mallet is best for me, but maybe not for the next guy).  

And just for giggle, I bought a MacGregor Bobby Grace M5K mallet on the Bay a few weeks ago -- cut it down to 33 inches and put a counter weighted grip on it -- I'm starting to love it and it may -- MAY - force me put my Edel on the bench for a while, something I never would have thought possible a few months ago. 

Here's a link to the Edel fitting blog

• Like 1

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Have you tried aiming to the right?

Asking for a friend... [emoji23]

Yes WAYY right. I just got glasses. It might be the slight change in peripheral. I didn't have this problem last year or any year for that matter.

- Da Yooper

@low_fade (instagram)

• Like 2

I just went through the same process and here are my results. Decided on mallet due to weight and stability. Final 4 were evnroll er7, mla, directed force and scotty x7. Evnroll was my choice that is until I attended the nj golf show and Bobby Grace happened to be there. Tried his f-18 and bought it on the spot. He fit, customized and built it in 20mins. After 3 rounds loved it bought a 2nd for my other bag i keep at my SC place. All have lots of technology although different. Just liked feel of BG. At that point its just up to you cant go wrong. Was very intrigued by Directed Force but no opportunity to demo it in my area. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Yes WAYY right. I just got glasses. It might be the slight change in peripheral. I didn't have this problem last year or any year for that matter.

Also, I have a fairly straight take away and follow through and a putter designed for an arced shape. I can feel it right away, and I traded my old putter for it. So I think it's time.

- Da Yooper

Everyone mentions feel off the face, honestly I cant tell the difference between any putter for "Feel". Not sure if I even know what that means. Honestly I have tried using putters that have no face milling or inserts and then my putter, it all seems to be the same

• Like 1

Driver  :titelist-small: TS 2, Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff 9.5* Setting, A2

Fairway Wood:   :ping-small: G30 Stiff Shaft

Hybrid:   :titelist-small: TS2 19* Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff shaft

Irons:     :titelist-small: 718 AP1 (4-PW) AMT Red Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX4 52* 56*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Putting is extremely personal, i wouldn't switch to a huge mallet, just because PGA guys are winning with it......You need to try a bunch out, I bought a Scotty a little over a year ago, and LOVE it, but it might not fit your eye..........Also, look at EVNRoll, Bettinardi, Cleveland, etc....they all make great putters, the question is, which one fits YOU

Can I pick all of the above?

• Like 2

In the Bag for 2021

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5* MMT 60x

:callaway-small: Epic Speed 15* MMT 70x

:callaway-small: Apex UW 17* HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80 6.5

:callaway-small: X Forged UT 24* MMT 105TX

:callaway-small: Apex Pro 5 - AW Steelfiber 115x

:callaway-small: PM Grind 2.0 54* $ 58* KBS $ Taper 120 Black

:ping-small: B90

I would love to jump in on an EvnRoll, but can't justify that much for a putter, yet.  Trusty 2-ball works good enough for now.

• Like 2

WITB
Driver: :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha udesign
Woods: :callaway-small: XR 3w, 7w
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX EZ Forged 2016 4-G
Wedge: :ping-small: Eye 2 Gorge S
Putter: Odyssey Works Versa 2-Ball Fang

Ball: :callaway-small: Supersoft 2017

Everyone mentions feel off the face, honestly I cant tell the difference between any putter for "Feel". Not sure if I even know what that means. Honestly I have tried using putters that have no face milling or inserts and then my putter, it all seems to be the same

For some people, I believe it's a placebo effect. Sometimes the price and popularity of the putter make some people believe the feel is better, when in reality there are probably many putters that compete with said expensive putters in the feel category. Nothing against Scotty's, Bettinardis, or Evnrolls, it's really all about what you prefer.

:ping-small: G400 Max

:ping-small: G410 3W

:ping-small: G410 3 & 4 Crossover

:ping-small: i200 5-PW

:vokey-small: Vokey SM7 | 52-56-60

:taylormade-small: Taylormade Spider X

3 pages in and no mention of Sentio

• Like 1

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

I am looking at the Edel Brick or the Ping Sigma Kushin. I've read all I can find about the Edel. Anyone gaming that Ping?

I went in looking at the Sigma G Anser and came out with the Kushin. Basically, they are both "blades" but the Answer is a true blade and the Kushin falls somewhere in the middle of the blade/mallet spectrum (this is what my fitter told me). With blades, I tend to leave the face open, with mallets, I would close it. The Kushin just worked for me. Go get fit, see what works for you.

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I recently bought the Cleveland 2135 8.0 and I love it. Feels great off the face and is super responsive. I basically lived at the PGA Superstore for two weeks as I tried every putter under the sun for something I wanted. Like everyone has said above, its a very personal decision as I have a friend who basically puts with a hunk of metal of the end of a stick and loves it. To each his own.

I have a 2135 as well. It's a great putter at half the cost of a scotty ;)

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

For some people, I believe it's a placebo effect. Sometimes the price and popularity of the putter make some people believe the feel is better, when in reality there are probably many putters that compete with said expensive putters in the feel category. Nothing against Scotty's, Bettinardis, or Evnrolls, it's really all about what you prefer.

Feel is really sound. Some people like a clicky sound and some like more of a thud. Yes it is personal preference but there are factors that change the sound such as milling depth, face thickness, inserts, etc. and it isn't dependent on price. I say sound and not feel since that is really what people are interpreting. Studies have shown that if you take away the sound aspect people can't tell the difference

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

- Da Yooper

@low_fade (instagram)

I'm not sure why you have a putter designed for an arc stroke when you say that you have a fairly straight backstroke and follow-through.  It seems like a more face-balanced putter would be a better fit.

Also, check out the thread from a few years ago on eye dominance for some thoughts.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/13150-eye-dominance/

There are also many threads about putting woes; some people like to line up their ball with the intended path then align their putter to the alignment aid on the ball.  Others do not.  I have found that aligning the ball and putter works best for me because I am right-eye dominant.  When I do this then stand over the ball, it doesn't look right, but I had to learn to trust my read from behind the ball.  Eventually, I quit looking at the ball altogether after I had aligned my putter.  I make all my putts now looking at the hole during the stroke, trusting my initial read; like throwing darts or horseshoes.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm not sure why you have a putter designed for an arc stroke when you say that you have a fairly straight backstroke and follow-through. It seems like a more face-balanced putter would be a better fit.

Also, check out the thread from a few years ago on eye dominance for some thoughts.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/13150-eye-dominance/

There are also many threads about putting woes; some people like to line up their ball with the intended path then align their putter to the alignment aid on the ball. Others do not. I have found that aligning the ball and putter works best for me because I am right-eye dominant. When I do this then stand over the ball, it doesn't look right, but I had to learn to trust my read from behind the ball. Eventually, I quit looking at the ball altogether after I had aligned my putter. I make all my putts now looking at the hole during the stroke, trusting my initial read; like throwing darts or horseshoes.

Bought it for the looks, did absolutely no research. I fully intend to get fitted when I get a chance. I use the alignment aid on the putter, and have some success just not where I could be with putting, my distance is spot on, just a left miss, sometimes a right but mostly left. I had an old Zebra putter for the longest time. It was face balanced if I remember correctly, made a lot more putts. I'm definitely right eye dominant, and with the new glasses it is just going to be a learning curve. But a new putter is definitely needed for me to drain some more putts.

Thanks for the tips! I'll give them a try. Can't hurt that's for sure.

- Da Yooper

@low_fade (instagram)

• Like 2