Considering a new putter

Brian A

In my opinion when looking for a putter, the first thing you should do is find one that enables you to start the ball on its intended line. You can put an object like a dime about 16" in front of a ball and see what putter rolls the ball over that dime using any length stoke the most consistently.

I can vouch for this dime drill. I like extending it out to even 3 feet if the surface is relatively flat. Has helped my putting a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Why do you miss putts? Miss left or right? Distance control?

There are basic skills in putting. The first skill you have to master is starting the ball on your intended line. If you can't do that you won't be able to control speed or read greens. Do you start putts on the line you want to start them?

They dont usually go where I want them too, no consistent left or right pattern, lately I've been longer than short. I know Im not the best player but Im missing things that no one should miss. I have one of those cheap putting mats that has the little hill at home and I can usually hit those. 

Driver  :titelist-small: TS 2, Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff 9.5* Setting, A2

Fairway Wood:   :ping-small: G30 Stiff Shaft

Hybrid:   :titelist-small: TS2 19* Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff shaft

Irons:     :titelist-small: 718 AP1 (4-PW) AMT Red Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX4 52* 56*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

They dont usually go where I want them too, no consistent left or right pattern, lately I've been longer than short. I know Im not the best player but Im missing things that no one should miss. I have one of those cheap putting mats that has the little hill at home and I can usually hit those.

Are you near an Edel fitting center?

- Alan

Are you near an Edel fitting center?

- Alan

I am about 35 min away?

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

There should be a consistent pattern. The left and then right is more the result of compensating for the last miss. Do the dime drill and see if you miss more left or more right. If you are really that inconsistent. I would would on getting a consistent setup and ball position.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I can vouch for this dime drill. I like extending it out to even 3 feet if the surface is relatively flat. Has helped my putting a lot.

3 feet is probably farther than you need. If you can hit a dime consistently at I think 20" that is the same as .5* of error which would make a straight 20 foot putt. The distance might be an inch or 2 off since i did the math a while ago.

• Like 1

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

They have a really good fitting model. Haven't done it but the reviews are awesome. I'd check into those putters.

- Alan

Be sure to bring your tax return....ALL of it !   :D

• Like 1

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

3 feet is probably farther than you need. If you can hit a dime consistently at I think 20" that is the same as .5* of error which would make a straight 20 foot putt. The distance might be an inch or 2 off since i did the math a while ago.

pretty good video on putting that I ran across recently...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7RrP1DtM3o

• Like 1

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

Yes it is a good video. The setup to seeing the correct line is how I started. I stand quite a bit off the line which goes against the traditional instruction approaches but was taught to me by my putting instructor. Seeing the correct line helps avoid subconscious influences to correct what you are seeing

• Like 2

So went to Dicks Sporting Goods yesterday after another terrible round with my putter on Saturday. I played around their putting area with the Spider (although it was still wrapped in the plastic), a few of the Cameron Newport's, the Golo 5 and Futura 6M. The spider was by far my least favorite (could be because of plastic) the Golo I did the best with putting, however theres something I still love about the Newport 2's look. I didnt putt as well with it though. My heart says Newport 2 but head says Golo 5... still unsure

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

How did you test the putters?

So went to Dicks Sporting Goods yesterday after another terrible round with my putter on Saturday. I played around their putting area with the Spider (although it was still wrapped in the plastic), a few of the Cameron Newport's, the Golo 5 and Futura 6M. The spider was by far my least favorite (could be because of plastic) the Golo I did the best with putting, however theres something I still love about the Newport 2's look. I didnt putt as well with it though. My heart says Newport 2 but head says Golo 5... still unsure

I would think your heart would be happier hearing your golf ball hitting the bottom of the cup ;) go with what will make the puts!

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1X

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing:  2021:titelist-small: T200's (https://forum.mygolfspy.com/tests/19-test-in-progress-titleist-t-series-irons/?do=findReview&review=38)

How did you test the putters?

Spent about 45 minutes, taking 3 putts at a time from the same spot (several different spots) with each club (different orders so it was that I was getting a better read by the 4th club). The puts were about 12-15 feet.  

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I would think your heart would be happier hearing your golf ball hitting the bottom of the cup ;) go with what will make the puts!

MDGolfHacker

You're right, Ive just never had anything but a blade so the look throws me off a bit. 

• Like 1

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Spent about 45 minutes, taking 3 putts at a time from the same spot (several different spots) with each club (different orders so it was that I was getting a better read by the 4th club). The puts were about 12-15 feet.

What was the purpose of your test? Being able to make the putt? In my opinion making the putt is irrelevant for testing. Does the club start the ball on intended line if you make any length stroke?

Go get fit, you won't regret it

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

Go get fit, you won't regret it

Don't disagree but there are lots of putter "fittings". Need to find a good place to get fit or a putting specific instructor