TESTERS ANNOUNCED: Callaway Steelhead XR/XR Pro Irons

Allan

NJ

Taylormade Psi 4-GW

Strength: 150 yards and in l am pretty on par with distances and accuracy.

Weakness: Lately I haven't been hitting my 4 and 5 irons as well as I like to.

I love the look of the XR Pro's very stealthy design. Thank you MGS and Callaway for this awesome opportunity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

(4) TESTERS WANTED

attachicon.gifCallaway Steehead XR - 9.jpg

Callaway Steelhead XR/

XR Pro Irons

Can a remake ever be as good as the original? Could a remake ever be better than the original?

Ever since the rebirth of Big Bertha, Callaway has had no problem bringing back iconic names from the past - Great Big Bertha, Fusion, Apex and now, Steelhead.

Callaway has hit the proverbial daily double with the new Steelhead XR and the Steelhead XR Pro irons. At last count, the Steelhead XR's are the number one selling iron in golf and has helped make Callaway the number one OEM in golf.

Clearly the Steelheads are more than just a new dress on an old girl, but does the performance match the hype? That's where you come in.

Callaway-Steelhead-XR-irons-3.jpg

Testers Wanted:

Callaway touts the new Steelheads as a signature shape with breakthrough performance. Both the XR and XR Pro models check all the boxes: speed and distance from the next-generation 360 Cup Face Technology, the Bore-Thru hosel for greater forgiveness and a progressive center of gravity for more control.

Can these new sticks with the old names improve your ball striking and help you shoot lower scores? We need four avid golfers to help us find out.

Callaway-Steelhead-XR-Pro-13.jpg

How To Apply:

As you know, we take our club testing very seriously here at MyGolfSpy. We need two of you to test and review (and keep) a set of Callaway Steelhead XR's, and two more to test and review (and keep) a set of Steelhead XR Pro's.

If you'd like to be a tester, please follow these instructions carefully. In this thread, tell us:

Your first name

Your home state/province

Your current handicap

Your current iron set

Your biggest strength & weakness to your iron game

It's that simple!

Callaway-Steelhead-XR-irons-1jpg.jpg

We will announce the 4 testers in this thread next week, so make sure to check back here.

Remember, you MUST apply in THIS THREAD to be eligible.

And if you're a newer member of the MyGolfSpy Community Forum, we recommend reading these two threads for some helpful hints on how to be selected as a tester.

Forum Testing - How Testers Will Be Chosen

​Equipment Review Tips and Tricks

Hi guys, I would love an opportunity to get into this test. I don't apply for every test, because I am not sure every test that happens here applies to me. This is an area I think I could contribute, I am current playing Adams XTD Cross Cavity heads and the Steelhead XR's would be a natural movement from them. I would love to have the opportunity to share with our members the pros and cons of these clubs. 

Kevin Horn

Kitchener, Ontario

Handicap is being adjusted (isn't everyone's) but after my first year of play I am down to 20!

My current setup has two hybrids (20 and 23 degrees), with a 5-PW setup. 

The strength of my iron game is a consistent ball flight, I am able to get the ball airborne and produce a slight draw consistently. 

A weakness of my iron game is a sometimes poor weight shift which causes fat shots. Happy to report this is becoming greatly reduced.

I am not fitted for my current clubs, which I believe may be causing a few of my issues, I will include the specs for those clubs here. All the shafts are KBS c-taper 90 x-stiff (I do not like the x-stiff, but they came with the set)

5- 25 loft, 60.75 lie, 38.5 length

6- 28, 61.5, 37.875

7- 31, 62, 37.25

8- 35, 62.75, 36.625

9- 39, 63.25, 36

P- 44, 63.5, 35.75

These Steelheads would catch my MD3's nicely! :) Thanks MGS

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Your first name: Martin

Your home state/province: CA

Your current handicap: 25

Your current iron set: Callaway X Hot 

Your biggest strength & weakness to your iron game: Straight ball flight and launch angle respectively

Name: Ed

Home State: PA

HDCP: 5.5

Current Irons: Ping I 20s

Iron Strength: play is straight

Iron Weakness: lost a 1/2 club or so in distance, not hitting greens like I used to, but I scramble pretty well.

BSGC-Ed

Your first name

- Jonathan

Your home state/province

- Virginia

Your current handicap

- unknown

Your current iron set

- Mizuno JPX-850 Forged

Your biggest strength & weakness to your iron game

- Strength = persistence

- Weekness = consistency 

Jess

Texas

Mizuno Mx23

Strength- less than full club shots from less than ideal situations

Weakness- distance control with long to mid irons (3-4-5)

(just passed my PAT and need a new set, PGM program ain't free!)

Stephen

Texas

Nike pro combo

Have realized my game is not suited for my current set and looking for more forgiveness and consistency. Strengths are lower irons. Weakness getting high ball flight.