TESTERS WANTED! ×

Chinese 100 dollar Rangefinder, is it any good? ZIYOUHU review!

Okay let's start with a little warming... My English is poor so please read 'around' it ;)

So now that's clear lets start with the real topic. In my search as a budgetgolfer for cheap way's to play the game as advanced as possible i went searching for a cheap rangefinder. My friends all own nice shiny Bushnell's but my wife kill's me if i come home with such a prisey product that i probably won't really need as i allready use a Garmin X40 on the course and GolfShot as app on my phone...

Never the less a man stay's a boy and i wanted that shiny new gadget too so i opend up Ebay and i started to look for review's of a cheap Chinees one... There were 1000's of them but i couldn't find a review online that was clear enough for me to take the dive and order one. So i took a deep breath and just bought one!

Now i have it for a few weeks and i thought to give the golfworld my first thougt about it and let's be hounest, i don't know if this will be that clear but at least i tried ;)

The 100 US dollar rangefinder found it's way into my home pretty quick and my first thoughts are positive. It had clean OEM style looks and the plastic housing doesnt feel cheap. One thing that really suprised me was the clear optical lens!!!

DSC_1751.JPG

But does it work? A test isn't a test if i didn't take another rangefinder with me on the course to keep the results next to so here are a few test messurments. I used the ZIYOUHU, a Bushnell Tour V2, and for a few tests on a hole my Garmin X40 golf watch and the GolfShot app on my Android phone.

drivingrange.jpg

hole7.jpg

kort bunker carry.jpg

As you can see the messurments are pretty much te same and because of the wind the flagstick wasn't 'steady' also but i hadn't had the feeling the Ciese was well off... Als they both don't messure in half's... (in this case meters).

So why won't everybody have too buy one then? Sometimes its pretty hard to shoot a flag and you need 4 ore even 5 shots to get the distance... For me that's no problem but i can understand that peaple would hate that, for this price i'm okay with it.

I look at it as riding in a second hand barrel ore a brand new BMW. They both bring you from A to B, the last one with some more comfort, class, and style.

Driver:           :PXG:0811 XF GEN4 10,5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 60 regular shaft.

Hybrids:        :cobra-small:  FLY-Z 3/4/5 , VLCT ALTUS R-flex 75gr. shaft.

Irons:             :cobra-small:  Speedzone One Length Irons 5-GW - KBS Tour 90 Regular shaft.

Wedges:        ST8TS Tour T Wedges 52-56-60 + 1,5cm KBS regular shaft.

Putter:            MLA Tour XDream 'Black Edition' Superstroke 3.0 slim (standard 34")

Ball's:             :honma: D1 and TW-X for the moment till i can find a better deal 😉

Rangefinder:  Garmin Fenix 6X Pro, ZIYOUHU Chinese laser, Garmin Approach X40., SwingU app.

Privileged to been testing the MLA Tour XDream BLACK EDITION SuperStroke 3.0 slim AND SwingU app for MyGolfSpy!

That's a nice post with pictures. Now I'm going to issue a warning.

Don't buy any more golf equipment without first consulting MGS Blog and information you can find here in the Forum. I mean that sincerely. There is a ton of unbiased equipment reviews here and much is tested by members like you and me. Take some time and get familiar with the Blog and the Forum. You'll soon see what I mean. You'll like it.

I understand you're excited with your new Laser Ranger Finder. LRF. It's a good starter model but they are cheap for a reason as you will eventually find out. These models like you have are branded and sold by numerous retailers on the web. I have one myself called the M400. I'm on my 3rd one as the first two became defective. Luckily the company I bought mine from (MG Golf) replaced them without question. Whew! They have since discontinued selling them. The one I have now has acted odd a few times already so I don't expect it to last through the summer if that.

Moral of story: Read and learn from the valuable information, testing, and insight you'll find with MGS and the members.

Glad you joined and welcome. 

https://www.mygolfspy.com/golfs-most-wanted-laser-rangefinder-2015/

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Thanx for the reaction and i see youre point. I do want to point out do that i'm only posting my experiance with it till now, i'am not trying to promot it ;)

Driver:           :PXG:0811 XF GEN4 10,5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 60 regular shaft.

Irons:             :cobra-small:  Speedzone One Length Irons 5-GW - KBS Tour 90 Regular shaft.

Putter:            MLA Tour XDream 'Black Edition' Superstroke 3.0 slim (standard 34")

Ball's:             :honma: D1 and TW-X for the moment till i can find a better deal 😉

Rangefinder:  Garmin Fenix 6X Pro, ZIYOUHU Chinese laser, Garmin Approach X40., SwingU app.

Privileged to been testing the MLA Tour XDream BLACK EDITION SuperStroke 3.0 slim AND SwingU app for MyGolfSpy!

Dave I didn't take your post as a promotion at all. My warning might have been mistaken. It's a friendly warning (rather friendly advice) not directed at you personally. In fact I'm a guy that has promoted this device a couple of times here in the forum. That is until I found out that they are not worth it. You can do a search and read up.

Anyway... glad you joined.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Thanx for the reaction and i see youre point. I do want to point out do that i'm only posting my experiance with it till now, i'am not trying to promot it ;)

Dave - as an admin for MyGolfSpy I gotta say you should never, ever, ever feel bad about posting your honest opinions of any product you use and like, or don't like for that matter. I very much appreciate your post and thought it was very well written and honest.  Folks may disagree with you, but the rule here is we can all disagree respectfully.  It's what makes MyGolfSpy different.

So please keep sharing your experiences with any product you use, good or bad and just because you like something doesn't mean you're "promoting" it. 

Glad to have you and please keep posting!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Well done Dave and thanks for posting!  I love the initiative of reviewing a lesser known product and letting us know your thoughts.

Be sure to stop back in to the thread in a while and let us know how it's holding up.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Good grief.... I feel like a heel. I wasn't putting the guy down or anything. I guess I shouldn't have used the word , "warning". I wasn't warning Dave personally.. I was actually trying to let him know where to get advise. From MGS!! (not from me that's for sure)

Honestly if I had paid more attention to MGS I might not have purchased a crappy LRF.

I was actually trying to promote MGS to Dave. Not push someone around.

I hope you guys "get" that.

Absoluty, i don't feel like i'm under attack ;)

I will keep you posted about my thoughts and experiances with this product.

Keep in mind, the cheap second hand barrel used in the original post wont outlive the BMW either ;)

• 1 month later...

50 day's and still running okay!

After playing almost 20 ronds the unit still performs like the first day. I do have to admit the lock on depends on the flagstick's but it still works great for me...

Yesterday my brother asked me what i would do if i had the choise, GPS watch or Laser... Offcourse the laser is a sure shot for the lower handicaps but the more i use both, the more i also enjoy my Garmin X40 especialy for hazards. I'm with my 21 hcp by far a top player but even i need to know some carry distances and alot of the time i can't use the laser for it (and no not the Bushnell either) because the edge is lower then the front of the hazard or it's not in sight al all...

Still loving the chinese rangefinder do ;) 

Archived