Wedgie

Most important club in the bag

I always assumed the putter was the most important club in my bag because I use it 40% of the time. I putted like crazy all winter on the bedroom carpet and felt I had gotten much more consistent until I took those skills to the course.

Six rounds in this year and still pretty much two putt everything. Yeah, I'll hit the occasional bomb but I did before all the practice. I popped open the Grint App and learned that I average 5.2 penalty strokes a round.

I'm getting older but don't recall any penalty strokes from my putter. It is coming from my driver. When I hit the fairway have par or better about 50% of the time.

Should my driver be my most important club?

What is your most important club and why?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

My 3 hybrid. Bails me out when the driver doesn't work or comes up short. It's my go to on long par 5's and my straightest club.

• Like 1

56° wedge hands down, it's my magic wand. 100 yards in is my favorite part of the game. It fits the bill for all of it.

Second would be my 3 wood.

Maybe I'll try a round with just those 2 clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

My Wedges are my most important! That's where I keep it close in my weekly match.

I always assumed the putter was the most important club in my bag because I use it 40% of the time. I putted like crazy all winter on the bedroom carpet and felt I had gotten much more consistent until I took those skills to the course.

Six rounds in this year and still pretty much two putt everything. Yeah, I'll hit the occasional bomb but I did before all the practice. I popped open the Grint App and learned that I average 5.2 penalty strokes a round.

I'm getting older but don't recall any penalty strokes from my putter. It is coming from my driver. When I hit the fairway have par or better about 50% of the time.

Should my driver be my most important club?

What is your most important club and why?

Those penalties can kill your round, believe me I know, lol. For me, I've been more consistent off the tee, but have a terrible approach statistic of getting on the greens in regulation. If I do make the green, then its usually not close and being a terrible putter that I am, will usually two or three Jack a putt. Take the last round I played here in Fl. Course was pretty straight forward with a low course and slope rating. I hit like maybe 4 greens in regulation and couldn't make a putt at all. The approach shots were all less than 85 yards in, and I still managed to shank and blade my way short of the green. Frustrating to say the least. So best club for me lately, is the driver... For now.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

Personally I think the driver is the most important stick in my bag.   If I don't get off the tee then that's going to put a lot of pressure on the rest of my game.   Hell I can two putt and still get a par however if I screw my tee shot up that's one big shot down the toilet.....

• Like 6

Those penalties can kill your round, believe me I know, lol. For me, I've been more consistent off the tee, but have a terrible approach statistic of getting on the greens in regulation. If I do make the green, then its usually not close and being a terrible putter that I am, will usually two or three Jack a putt. Take the last round I played here in Fl. Course was pretty straight forward with a low course and slope rating. I hit like maybe 4 greens in regulation and couldn't make a putt at all. The approach shots were all less than 85 yards in, and I still managed to shank and blade my way short of the green. Frustrating to say the least. So best club for me lately, is the driver... For now.

MDGolfHacker

I agree with both of those sentiments. I would love to say my wedges are my most important club, but if I follow my stats I realize the only times I shoot higher than my handicap are when I have one or more penalty strokes in a round.

Has to be my driver. If it's straight I've got a shot at par.

• Like 1

I gotta go with the driver.

A good putter can save a hole but a bad driver will ruin it fast!

3 putt = bogey

OB = Double

• Like 3

This is tough because you use the putter more frequently than anything else but driver sets everything up so I'm going with whatever club I'm currently hitting.

• Like 5

Personally I think the driver is the most important stick in my bag. If I don't get off the tee then that's going to put a lot of pressure on the rest of my game. Hell I can two putt and still get a par however if I screw my tee shot up that's one big shot down the toilet.....

this.

• Like 2

Gotta be putter for me. Drive for show, putt for dough.

• Like 1

I'm with Rev.  Whatever club I'm currently hitting is the most important.

I also agree that driver really sets up everything else.  A bad drive can easily cost you 2 strokes where a bad putt might cost you one.

Really depends how you word it though.  Worded as most important "club" then it's the putter.  I can take driver out of the bag, hit 15 degree hybrid and shoot about the same score.  Take out my putter and I'm guessing it costs me more strokes.

Most important "shot" on a hole, even though they all count the same, and I'm saying tee shot every time.

• Like 5

My 5 iron, since I get into trouble off of the tee I'm always having to be creative with some recovery shots!

None of my clubs is more important than the others.  They all have to work well if I want a low score.  Any one of them not working will produce mediocre scores.  If more than one isn't working, then it's high scores for me.

My driver is pretty steady, but there are days...

Since I don't drive it all that far anymore, I tend to miss GIR.

My wedge game is pretty good, so if it's on, I can get close to the hole.

My putting is good too; I rarely 3-putt, and when the wedges work, I can save par.

Birdies happen when every club works well for 2, 3, or 4 shots in a row.   ;)

• Like 3

I will say putter because it is what you hit the highest percentage with. However all of them are important, a bad shot anywhere can make things tough. That's what is so great about golf though. It's all on you and all parts of your game have to be good to be a good consistent player. I love scrambles with friends but if I'm being honest it's hiding our flaws

• Like 1

56° wedge hands down, it's my magic wand. 100 yards in is my favorite part of the game. It fits the bill for all of it.

Second would be my 3 wood.

Maybe I'll try a round with just those 2 clubs.

This☝️is an uncanny description of my own thoughts. My putter can certainly create/save a round but when the SW is dialed the subsequent putts are short enough to brush in with the same club. I feel like my 3 wood is also next in line of the potential strokes gained stat earners.

please excuse fat (iPhone) thumbs

• Like 2

Gotta be putter for me. Drive for show, putt for dough.

I don't mean to be a pain but that phrase has been proven wrong in many and various ways. I have no argument with someone picking putter but the driver has the ability to render the putter irrelevant. Pump three or four balls a round Into Hazzard's or the woods and putter becomes pretty meaningless.

A missed putt counts one. A missed driver often two or more. :(

• Like 5

I agree with Rev - when the putter misses, it's an extra stroke for a tap in.

Bad driver day? Hunting in the woods, drop for 3, drowned balls, 2nd shot from behind the forward tees... ugh.

• Like 1

For me, its driver.  Like the others have said, a bad drive makes you work hard for bogey or double, a good drive gives you a good chance at par, or maybe better.  

I know you hit your putter more often, say 35 times, but how many of those are inside 2 or 3 feet, the ones you make basically every time.  Subtract those.  How many are in the middle range, say 10 to 20 feet, the ones you very seldom make, but also very seldom 3-putt?  Those aren't something you're likely to change either.  So that leaves putts between 3 and 10 feet, and putts longer than about 20 feet.  I'd bet that only leaves 10 to 15 putts where good putting makes a big difference.

• Like 2