Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Full Swing or Not

I felt that I was getting a little too long on my back swing, so I experimented with taking it little pass 90 degrees and what I found was that I hit it about the same distance with the driver and irons, also felt that I was getting better contact.  Anyone else experience this and understand why?

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I felt that I was getting a little too long on my back swing, so I experimented with taking it little pass 90 degrees and what I found was that I hit it about the same distance with the driver and irons, also felt that I was getting better contact. Anyone else experience this and understand why?

I went a little less backswing last year, been working towards getting back to parallel. Irons I usually go just past vertical, (I stink at math some help me with that angle). But I've been videoing my swing so I can check my check points. I get the same distance with my irons, I feel like if I get past a certain point I get loose and forget things.

Over the winter I probably filled up my iphones memory with videos. I did the box drill at least once a day for a month. Finally got to where I can make solid contact with a longer swing. Not sure why it happens, but I've had the same experience.

Maybe take a video, you are probably taking it back farther than you think.

- Alan

Well age and deteriorating flexibility, have shortened my swing intended or not!!  But during a recent lesson, the pro I work with off an on said it was still plenty enough as long as a I made solid contact.   Unfortunately the shorter swing still has some of the same faults in the downswing that cause inconsistent contact.  

he did have me do a drill where I took a 7 iron and barely made a swing past 8 o'clock if we are using the clock face method, and just to concentrate on staying down in posture and follow though, it probably went 125 yards or so with a slight draw, as opposed to my normal 135 to 140 yard fade.    he said that was a shot I could absolutely play if I actually wanted to..  

I guess the point is what we all know, making solid center face contact on a descending blow (irons) will give you a lot more power than a glancing off center strike even on a faster swing.   

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

You only need to go as far back as it takes to get your shoulder under your chin. It shouldn't take you past parallel. If you're going past parallel it's just more movement you have to control on the down swing. It makes it harder to keep tempo and square the face.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

For me, what feels like 9 o'clock is actually more like 11 o'clock. I'm getting the same results - far more consistency with the same distance.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Over the winter I probably filled up my iphones memory with videos. I did the box drill at least once a day for a month. Finally got to where I can make solid contact with a longer swing. Not sure why it happens, but I've had the same experience.

What is the box drill?

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

What is the box drill?

Set up a box about .5" or closer off of the toe of your club. It will force you to come from the inside. There are several articles on the internet about it. If I can find the specific one I read.

I just had it there to focus my swing, which in turn just reinforced my in to out path. Could not hit real balls for 4 months. Foamies with a sharpie line to see where I made contact on the face.

If you think your coming over the top, this will prove it.

- Alan

Set up a box about .5" or closer off of the toe of your club. It will force you to come from the inside. There are several articles on the internet about it. If I can find the specific one I read.

I just had it there to focus my swing, which in turn just reinforced my in to out path. Could not hit real balls for 4 months. Foamies with a sharpie line to see where I made contact on the face.

- Alan

I used to use a 2x4.

At my age a parallel at the top swing is a thing of the past, but I have much more control than I ever did.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yes, my 3/4 swing goes the same distance as my full swing. For me, I have bad technique. On my full swing I take out all the hinge before I get to the ball and lose power but have a better time getting lag on partial swings. Super frustrating because I don't hit the ball very far relative to how fast I feel like I am swinging on the full swing. This year I am experimenting with a slower tempo to try and keep good form. I think on a partial swing for me it helps me slow down the tempo because I am trying to reach a certain spot on the backswing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I felt that I was getting a little too long on my back swing, so I experimented with taking it little pass 90 degrees and what I found was that I hit it about the same distance with the driver and irons, also felt that I was getting better contact.  Anyone else experience this and understand why?

In my experience nearly everyone holding a golf club tends to swing past their flexibility limits; mostly for mental reasons. Several things can begin to go wrong at this point but the two main culprits are inconsistent spine angle and uncontrolled tempo. Arm swing gets too long and out of sync with your trunk, hip flexors hit their limits and you stand up. And _or_ you fight the spine angle change but in doing so make any reasonable transitional pause from back swing to down swing somewhere between unlikely and impossible. If more amateurs concentrated on a much shorter back swing it would eliminate much of the potential for the problematic aforementioned body mechanics. And because they are not fighting to correct the long back swing should be more likely to present the club head with the proper lag through impact. In a full range session if I'm fighting something I will often work my way up from a 30% back swing until I (stop seeing distance increases, feel any tightness, loss of tempo control, inconsistent contact) and that's usually somewhere around 70% of potential back swing length. It's a much better way to play amateur golf. I am of the school that believes proper swing theory is built from the ground up and have experienced significant improvements in pressure mat transfer data by committing to swinging well within my flexibility limits.

Moral of the story: If you want to swing like a tour pro you'd better get serious about the flexibility regimen.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

In my experience nearly everyone holding a golf club tends to swing past their flexibility limits; mostly for mental reasons. Several things can begin to go wrong at this point but the two main culprits are inconsistent spine angle and uncontrolled tempo. Arm swing gets too long and out of sync with your trunk, hip flexors hit their limits and you stand up. And _or_ you fight the spine angle change but in doing so make any reasonable transitional pause from back swing to down swing somewhere between unlikely and impossible. If more amateurs concentrated on a much shorter back swing it would eliminate much of the potential for the problematic aforementioned body mechanics. And because they are not fighting to correct the long back swing should be more likely to present the club head with the proper lag through impact. In a full range session if I'm fighting something I will often work my way up from a 30% back swing until I (stop seeing distance increases, feel any tightness, loss of tempo control, inconsistent contact) and that's usually somewhere around 70% of potential back swing length. It's a much better way to play amateur golf. I am of the school that believes proper swing theory is built from the ground up and have experienced significant improvements in pressure mat transfer data by committing to swinging well within my flexibility limits.

Moral of the story: If you want to swing like a tour pro you'd better get serious about the flexibility regimen.

Sorry for the long quote. But I did start doing yoga which helped immensely.

- Alan

Sorry for the long quote. But I did start doing yoga which helped immensely.

- Alan

I do some yoga too and it really has helped my game. Another unforeseen benefit for me has been much less soreness after a round. I truly believe the most common major swing flaws originate from attempting PGA tour length back swings with sedentary flexibility levels. That combo will inevitably result in frustration and injury.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I find when I go beyond 9:00 I tend to lift up and loose balance.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I have always struggled with a swing that is way too long. I have to force myself to not go so far in my back swing. It even starts to lengthen during the round.

It causes all kinds of inconsistency. My half swing was really a full swing, I had to get to about what felt like 30% of a normal swing to get to the point my instructor wanted me at for my irons.

It's crazy!

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

I fall into the category of think 3/4 which is really full. When I do what I think is full it results in a lean forward and breaking the wrists which makes it difficult to get back into the right position at impact. The 3/4 swing just lets me swing and not make compensations resulting in higher swing speed at impact and less need for a perfectly timed swing

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

"Parallel at the top" and a 90 degree shoulder turn are two of the most destructive swing mental concepts imo. "Full swing" should be re-defined as the point where muscles are stretched but not strained. A good way to illustrate is simply turn your head to the left til it stops without strain. Where you see your shoulder is where it should be at the top. I can't "prove" it, but I do believe that is a position of one's maximum power. Some famous golf person (can't remember who) once said 90% of power is generated in the last two feet of the hand arc prior to impact. I believe it true.

The objective of the up swing is to get the club and body in a position so you can just hit the ball. Getting out of that position then requires all sorts of extraneous motion to return the club/body to "hitting position". 

Here is a great practice motion I've instituted:

1. Practice this with no more then an 8-iron to start. Take your address position, then (maintaining your wrist angles) bend up at the waste until standing straight. Your arms should be straight out in front of you with wrist angle still intact. Now rotate your shoulders as far as is comfortable. Then collapse your right elbow (for RH player) and you will be in your natural top position.

Any questions on that or confusion, send me a PM and I'll throw you a demonstration video.

Cheers

Burk

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

Reading through Burks ^^^ practice motion reminded me of this video. It's fairly old, as you can see from the quality, but it's something that you never would have though about, and that's the swing illusion. It reminds me of what a Burk was describing.

https://youtu.be/ASH06DwHaRw

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Reading through Burks ^^^ practice motion reminded me of this video. It's fairly old, as you can see from the quality, but it's something that you never would have though about, and that's the swing illusion. It reminds me of what a Burk was describing.

https://youtu.be/ASH06DwHaRw

That is so frigging cool!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Here is a great practice motion I've instituted:

1. Practice this with no more then an 8-iron to start. Take your address position, then (maintaining your wrist angles) bend up at the waste until standing straight. Your arms should be straight out in front of you with wrist angle still intact. Now rotate your shoulders as far as is comfortable. Then collapse your right elbow (for RH player) and you will be in your natural top position.

Any questions on that or confusion, send me a PM and I'll throw you a demonstration video.

Cheers

Burk

Is the video similar to the one TSauer showed us?

Also can this be applied to a driver?

Now you have my attention

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I felt that I was getting a little too long on my back swing, so I experimented with taking it little pass 90 degrees and what I found was that I hit it about the same distance with the driver and irons, also felt that I was getting better contact. Anyone else experience this and understand why?

I was having a similar issue. I found that I was getting held up at the top and couldn't get the timing right at impact on a full swing. So I started doing a three-quarter swing with all of my clubs similar to John Rahm. It's helped my timing at impact. I would recommend it if you are having a timing issue.

I did this with my driver swing and it helped alot. I shortened my back swing and focused on my core rotation exploding forward and my contact is much better than when I was swinging farther back on my back swing

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

Is the video similar to the one TSauer showed us?

Also can this be applied to a driver?

Now you have my attention

The video is similar. The idea is that without any momentum, your natural flexibility will let you know what is the best "length" for your backswing. If someone has flexibility issues, it will show them. A lot of times I've seen that people will achieve a shorter backswing position​ but hit the ball better. It has always worked for me.

- Alan

Use the headcover from your driver as well ... set up just outside the ball.  Concentrate on the back inside half of the ball ... this gets you to learn to come down from the inside & then swing to "right field" ... create a draw.  As long as you miss the headcover on the follow through.

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Archived