• Bridgestone B 330
    • TaylorMade TP5
    • Volvik S4
    • Vice Pro
    • Snell MTB
    • Kirkland Signature
    • Callaway Chrome Soft
    • Other

Rory..should try the Vice Golf Ball, its a winner! However they likely wont pay him to do so as they are committed to providing a quality golf ball that the masses can afford...unlike Titleist, Bridgestone, Calloway and many others whose prices are high because they need the money to sponsor Professional Golfers...a nasty practice the regular golfers pay the price!!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rory..should try the Vice Golf Ball, its a winner! However they likely wont pay him to do so as they are committed to providing a quality golf ball that the masses can afford...unlike Titleist, Bridgestone, Calloway and many others whose prices are high because they need the money to sponsor Professional Golfers...a nasty practice the regular golfers pay the price!!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Currently Rory is playing all his equipment without a contract

That is interesting. I have heard a lot of complaints from serious golfers that are disappointed with the Pro V series over last couple of years. Personally I am loving the TaylorMade TP5. I wonder if that is in the mix?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I think he should play the MTB, but I'm guessing he'll follow Tiger to the Bridgestone.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I think he will test 3-4 other brands and find the one that gives him what he is looking for. I have always thought the Prov line of balls spin way too much, now Rory agrees with me. He will likely test Srixon, Tmag, Callaway, and Bridgestone to see the offerings and choose a ball from there. Being able to change to any manufacturer means he can take his time and find something that works for him. The Chrome Soft X is what I think he should try.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Top Flight, time to make a move

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

If it comes down to money they big boys will throw everything at him. He's proven he only cares about money. If it came down to performance, it would be the Snell.

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

If it comes down to money they big boys will throw everything at him. He's proven he only cares about money. If it came down to performance, it would be the Snell.

That doesn't make a ton of sense since he hasn't signed an equipment contract with anyone - he has his Nike deal, but hasn't signed anything with anyone, and according to reports, doesn't plan on signing any equipment deals until 2018 at the earliest. 

Report: Rory McIlroy using Callaway clubs, Titleist ball to start 2017 The No. 2 player in the world is making an equipment change to kick off the new year
Tiger Woods' equipment free agency might be more important financially, but Rory McIlroy's is more interesting to me. The No. 2 golfer on the planet said last fall that he would be testing out a variety of clubs over the next few months (and maybe years). It seems as if he has settled on something.

According to No Laying Up, McIlroy will start the 2017 European Tour season with Callaway irons and driver. He will play the Titleist ProV1x ball, Titleist wedges and tinker with an Odyssey putter.

The new Callaway clubs will include the Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero driver and Callaway Custom Apex MB irons.

There is no plan to sign a deal with Callaway (or any other company) in 2017, according to No Laying Up. McIlroy, as you might remember, played TaylorMade woods and driver in China in November at the HSBC Champions. He was still using his Nike irons then. 

Now it seems as if he has moved completely away from Nike, though, as he won't have the golf ball or irons in his bag at the BMW South African Open in two weeks. This will be intriguing to follow throughout the year. Will McIlroy stick with Callaway for all 12 months? Will he keep the TaylorMade woods? Will he switch back to Nike wedges at some point?

It make sense for McIlroy to mix and match equipment this season before he signs a new equipment deal at some point in 2018 or beyond. Either way, a locked-in McIlroy with all the clubs he wants for a loaded-up 2017 is a hell of a thought. That No. 1 ranking in the world has never looked more vulnerable.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

How do you figure he only cares about money when he hasn't signed a new equipment deal?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Huh? Its always been that way, across all brands.

The X model in generally the lower spinning between the 2. Not the standard. This is the first year that they have flipped it.

The only thing that remains the same is that the regular V1 is softer.

I was not aware of this change for this season. And don't like it.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Ha... No...

Edit: This is an extremely ill informed take and hardly the case.

All I can say is pigs get fed. Hogs get slaughtered.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

All I can say is pigs get fed. Hogs get slaughtered.

And sows get bred. What's new?

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

How do you figure he only cares about money when he hasn't signed a new equipment deal?

He's got 25 million reasons why

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Ha... No...

Edit: This is an extremely ill informed take and hardly the case.

Oh really? Ask yourself what has he done for golf and what has he done for himself? He had the chance time and time again to push golf and just doesn't. He is no Palmer or Nicklaus if you ask me. He looks for the pay.

That doesn't make a ton of sense since he hasn't signed an equipment contract with anyone - he has his Nike deal, but hasn't signed anything with anyone, and according to reports, doesn't plan on signing any equipment deals until 2018 at the earliest.

Report: Rory McIlroy using Callaway clubs, Titleist ball to start 2017 The No. 2 player in the world is making an equipment change to kick off the new year

Tiger Woods' equipment free agency might be more important financially, but Rory McIlroy's is more interesting to me. The No. 2 golfer on the planet said last fall that he would be testing out a variety of clubs over the next few months (and maybe years). It seems as if he has settled on something.

According to No Laying Up, McIlroy will start the 2017 European Tour season with Callaway irons and driver. He will play the Titleist ProV1x ball, Titleist wedges and tinker with an Odyssey putter.

The new Callaway clubs will include the Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero driver and Callaway Custom Apex MB irons.

There is no plan to sign a deal with Callaway (or any other company) in 2017, according to No Laying Up. McIlroy, as you might remember, played TaylorMade woods and driver in China in November at the HSBC Champions. He was still using his Nike irons then.

Now it seems as if he has moved completely away from Nike, though, as he won't have the golf ball or irons in his bag at the BMW South African Open in two weeks. This will be intriguing to follow throughout the year. Will McIlroy stick with Callaway for all 12 months? Will he keep the TaylorMade woods? Will he switch back to Nike wedges at some point?

It make sense for McIlroy to mix and match equipment this season before he signs a new equipment deal at some point in 2018 or beyond. Either way, a locked-in McIlroy with all the clubs he wants for a loaded-up 2017 is a hell of a thought. That No. 1 ranking in the world has never looked more vulnerable.

Sorry. I call it as I see it. He doesn't respect the sport. I don't deny his talent. The guy could push golf to new heights and doesn't. He's completely selfish and all about himself. The fact that he hasn't signed with anybody yet means nothing because of the Nike deal. I'm sure he's waiting for some company to bend over. Should happen soon. Again, talent wise he's one of the best but in terms of credibility he's no Day, Speith, Fowler or anyone else

Hahahaha owned ^^

Oh really? Ask yourself what has he done for golf and what has he done for himself? He had the chance time and time again to push golf and just doesn't. He is no Palmer or Nicklaus if you ask me. He looks for the pay.

His job isn't to push golf. His job is to win and provide for his family. Not to push golf. Any of the top guys pushing golf isn't going to make people from my generation want to play it more.

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

You have GOT to be kidding me. You are mad at the guy for taking a pay day???

Do you think one single pro wouldn't have taken the deal Rory was offered? If so, you need to put the booze down.

Literally the only thing you could be referring to was his comments on Olympics last year which he himself said he regretted later on.

The dude is down to earth, self aware and goes out his way to be nice to people. I'm sorry he doesn't live up to your high standards :D

One more time... Very poorly informed take.

Sorry. I call it as I see it. He doesn't respect the sport. I don't deny his talent. The guy could push golf to new heights and doesn't. He's completely selfish and all about himself. The fact that he hasn't signed with anybody yet means nothing because of the Nike deal. I'm sure he's waiting for some company to bend over. Should happen soon. Again, talent wise he's one of the best but in terms of credibility he's no Day, Speith, Fowler or anyone else

He just re-upped his contract with Nike, if I remember correctly.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I'd bet he winds up gaming the Chromesoft X. He has so much Callaway in the bag already it's only a matter of time until the equipment deal lands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titleist TSR3 8* HZRDUS Gen4 Black

Titleist TSRS3 16.5* 4W, Project X Evenflow White

Callaway Apex UW 21* Ventus Red

Callaway TCB 4-6, MB 7-9

Titleist SM9 46F 50F, 56D, 60M

Toulon Santa Monica

Ahhhh the beauty of having an unpopular opinion.

I believe that as a person with "celebrity-like" status, it IS his/er responsibility to help better his/her sport or profession. He would not be playing had it not been for the guys like Palmer and Nicklaus, heck even Tiger, with all his shortcomings made the sport better. I have my opinion on him and I've always called it as I see it. Sure, maybe in time I'll change but as of right now I am unimpressed. But it's cool, happy to see the donations and other links Barb posted. That's definitely something I was obviously not aware of. I was mainly angry with the Olympic comments.   

Lots of opinions on Rory's decision not to participate in the Olympics. I thought this piece in Golf Digest was spot on, although as it turned out the actual competition was a good but more compelling than the author predicted...

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/rory-is-right-its-not-his-job-to-grow-the-game

And interesting to read Jack's take on it...

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/jack-nicklaus-defends-rory-mcilroy-says-he-wasnt-into-growing-the-game-either

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Ahhhh the beauty of having an unpopular opinion.

I believe that as a person with "celebrity-like" status, it IS his/er responsibility to help better his/her sport or profession. He would not be playing had it not been for the guys like Palmer and Nicklaus, heck even Tiger, with all his shortcomings made the sport better. I have my opinion on him and I've always called it as I see it. Sure, maybe in time I'll change but as of right now I am unimpressed. But it's cool, happy to see the donations and other links Barb posted. That's definitely something I was obviously not aware of. I was mainly angry with the Olympic comments.

What have any of the other big name golfers done to grow the sport?

Rickie Fowler got the kids interested again. Just by wearing a flat brim hats and flashy shirts. Currently the only professional golfer I can think of that has had a part in "Growing" the sport and even that has died off some.

What have any of the other big name golfers done to grow the sport?

With all due respect Theoo I am letting this go. At my age, getting into internet spats or trying to prove a point has little appeal to me. What I stated was my opinion and possibly in time it will change. I never claimed my opinion was the be all end all nor did I claim any of your opinions were not. I was under the impression here that we could give our opinion so I did. I respect your opinion and you as well as everybody else are entitled to it as am me.  Just let it go...

Archived