• Bridgestone B 330
    • TaylorMade TP5
    • Volvik S4
    • Vice Pro
    • Snell MTB
    • Kirkland Signature
    • Callaway Chrome Soft
    • Other

From the Inbox -- this one's interesting.  It appears Rory isn't happy with the ProV1 and is on the hunt for a new ball.  Who will it be? Srixon? Bridgestone? Kirkland? STROK?

Rory McIlroy plans on switching golf balls after Masters performance

rory-mcilroy-6-990x556.jpg

Rory McIlroy is looking for a new golf ball, apparently ready to move on from the Titleist Pro V1x after a disappointing finish at the 2017 Masters.

Speaking after winding up tied for seventh place at Augusta National, McIlroy expressed concern with the spin he saw from the ball in difficult conditions on Thursday and Friday.

"I need to change my golf ball. That's a big thing," McIlroy said Sunday. "I thought my golf ball this week was doing weird things in the wind. It was very inconsistent so there's one thing I will change and try to work on the next few weeks."

McIlroy didn't allude to a slate of potential balls he could be playing. The four-time major winner chose to put the Pro V1 into play at the start of 2017, a consequence of moving on from Nike Golf equipment after their decision to exit the golf hard goods business in 2016. He also chose to play Callaway Golf's Great Big Bertha Epic driver and fairway woods and irons, as well Bob Vokey wedges from Titleist. McIlroy said he would be willing to change equipment at a moment's notice, having the freedom to do so without contracts that tie him to certain manufacturers. He exercised that flexibility at Augusta National, taking out the Epic fairway woods and putting in TaylorMade Golf M2 fairway woods.

Despite the disappointment of not completing the career Grand Slam in his third crack at it, McIlroy is the only player to finish in the top 10 in the Masters in each of the last four years

• Like 5

From the Inbox -- this one's interesting. It appears Rory isn't happy with the ProV1 and is on the hunt for a new ball. Who will it be? Srixon? Bridgestone? Kirkland? STROK?

Rory McIlroy plans on switching golf balls after Masters performance

Golf News Net

rory-mcilroy-6-990x556.jpg

Rory McIlroy is looking for a new golf ball, apparently ready to move on from the Titleist Pro V1x after a disappointing finish at the 2017 Masters.

Speaking after winding up tied for seventh place at Augusta National, McIlroy expressed concern with the spin he saw from the ball in difficult conditions on Thursday and Friday.

"I need to change my golf ball. That's a big thing," McIlroy said Sunday. "I thought my golf ball this week was doing weird things in the wind. It was very inconsistent so there's one thing I will change and try to work on the next few weeks."

McIlroy didn't allude to a slate of potential balls he could be playing. The four-time major winner chose to put the Pro V1 into play at the start of 2017, a consequence of moving on from Nike Golf equipment after their decision to exit the golf hard goods business in 2016. He also chose to play Callaway Golf's Great Big Bertha Epic driver and fairway woods and irons, as well Bob Vokey wedges from Titleist. McIlroy said he would be willing to change equipment at a moment's notice, having the freedom to do so without contracts that tie him to certain manufacturers. He exercised that flexibility at Augusta National, taking out the Epic fairway woods and putting in TaylorMade Golf M2 fairway woods.

Despite the disappointment of not completing the career Grand Slam in his third crack at it, McIlroy is the only player to finish in the top 10 in the Masters in each of the last four years

Perhaps he will join the volvik movement like Bubba? Srixon should try to sweep him up as well!
  • Like 1

Lot's of good choices, he'll probably end up with the TP5X  from TMAG or  Bridgestone, but I'd like to see him with the Srixon Z Star.   It's a great ball, and would be good exposure for them. 

• Like 3

He should just use the ProV1. I am no Rory but my results seem to be better with the ProV1 vs the X.

• Like 1

Lot's of good choices, he'll probably end up with the TP5X from TMAG or Bridgestone, but I'd like to see him with the Srixon Z Star. It's a great ball, and would be good exposure for them.

by far my favorite premium ball (that I have played)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

+1 for Srixon

My favorite ball!

Maybe Tiger will arrange another Bridgestone deal for his buddy?

• Like 3

I would think that his wisest move would be to pick an OEM, any OEM and say - "I want to play your golf ball.  Here's what I require."  I have little doubt that they will design one that does what he wants and get it conforming as a proto type pretty quickly. 

In fact anything other than that approach would be a huge mistake on his part.  Strike while he has the cache to get it done.

• Like 1

I would like to see him go with Z-Star as well, but my guess is TP5 after the Sergio and Rose performance at the Masters.  That would give TaylorMade Sergio, Rose, Day, and DJ.  It might also put a real dent in the Titleist ProV1 armor.

• Like 2

KSigs, obviously

With the limit of 5 allowed boxes per transaction he is going to have to drive to a lot of Costcos.

• Like 5

With the limit of 5 allowed boxes per transaction he is going to have to drive to a lot of Costcos.

What if he put "Costco" on his hat?

• Like 3

Interesting how things change. I remember when Nike made the announcement, he said he still had a 2 year supply of balls. Must've switched when the money for using their ball stopped coming in he changed to a better ball for him.

My vote is Callaway. But Srixon is probably close behind

Going to guess Bridgestone or Srixon but I would not count out Callaway. He already has an endorsement with them and I am sure they are trying hard with their pitch.

What if he put "Costco" on his hat?

that would be great, then we would all run out and get one too. And when I say one, I really mean 10 because you will have to buy them in 10 packs.

• Like 1

He should just use the ProV1. I am no Rory but my results seem to be better with the ProV1 vs the X.

He's changing because its too spinny. Changing to the V1 from the V1X won't help that. 

I think he'll change to Bridgestone to give himself some familiarity and it spins less than the PV1 line. 

I wish he'd swap to the TP5X as I think that's the best fit but for some reason I don't think he will. 

I'd be po'd if I was a nike staffer and they cut the gear stuff. I wasn't a huge fan, but I hit their clubs and the RZN Black a few times and I really liked them. Plus all the new guys they picked up at the beginning of last year... Here's your gear, oh wait we changed our mind and aren't making them any more.

I think Rory will go with whomever has a current ball he can switch to immediately (and be 100% comfortable with) or the company who has the ability/desire/$$ to cater to him and make him exactly what he wants.

Spin is one thing. Feel is something else. I'd imagine Cally, TM, B'stone, etc. all can theoretically make a ball he would play, but b/c of how they make balls, they all feel a bit different. Should be interesting.