TESTERS WANTED! ×

First Amateur Tournament

TBHambone27

I am about 6 weeks from the State AM qualifier. I have not played competitive golf outside club events since I was 12(now 28). I wanted to get some input form other members who have competed in State or US amateur qualifiers and maybe some advice, tips or things you have learned. I will get to play the course a few times before the qualifier. Happy golf season! 

-Taylor

*LEFT HANDED*

Driver- TaylorMade 9* M2 Tour Issue w/ Aldila Rogue Black 110 70g Tour X 44.5"

3 Wood- Titleist 915Fd 13.5* w/ Diamana D+ 80x 42.5"

5 Wood- Titleist 915F 19.25* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 80 S-flex 42.5"

Driving Iron- Titleist 712U 18* w/ Graphic Designs Tour AD 95x 39"

Irons- Cobra King Pro Combo 3-Pw w/ KBS C-Taper 130g

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 54* S Grind & 58* M Grind w/ KBS Tour X-Stiff +1/2"

Putter- TaylorMade Spider Tour Black 34"

Arccos 360 User

Bushnell Tour v4 Slope Rangefinder 

SC200 Portable Launch Monitor

Instagram: @TBHambone27

That is awesome, just wanted to wish you the best of luck and hope you win!!!

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I am about 6 weeks from the State AM qualifier. I have not played competitive golf outside club events since I was 12(now 28). I wanted to get some input form other members who have competed in State or US amateur qualifiers and maybe some advice, tips or things you have learned. I will get to play the course a few times before the qualifier. Happy golf season! 

-Taylor

Treat it like every other round of golf. Same warm up. Same pre shot routine. Everything. Deep breath on the first box. 

The only thing I do differently, which some will disagree with me about is that I start practicing a bit in the coming month or weeks leading up to it. This is primarily because I usually only play once or twice a week and never practice though. 

Edit: Best of luck! It usually doesn't doesn't take a world beater of a score to qualify. Just try not to compound mistakes and make big numbers. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Have fun! It's golf so you're gonna have some bad shots and bad breaks. Just gotta keep a cool head when it happens

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Breathe. be conscious of your breathing.

This is maybe some of the best advice you will get. Seems so small but makes a huge difference when you start feeling the nerves

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

The rounds are usually painfully slow. So take your time and make sure not to get rushed. Nerves will do that. And don't let one bad shot get you upset. Bad shots WILL happen. Move to the next one. And good luck!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

The tournament committee should be sending you some course setup parameters. Start there and make a plan for the round as it relates to your game. In an 18 hole qualifier it is important to play from the short grass. In your practice rounds, note any severely penal trouble spots that are potential momentum killers. Most of the time, tournament hole locations will be marked with a dot of paint a day or two before the event. Talk to the pro shop about that specifically and if possible try to get in a practice round after hole locations have been marked. Find the paint dots, practice putting around them, note predominant/secondary slope and the subsequent ideal approach target.

The day of the event, from the time you get out of bed, slow everything down (breathing, tempo, walking pace, thought processes). If it's feasible, practice this same process before regular weekend matches and also your scheduled practice rounds so it will feel more natural on tournament day.

Like others have mentioned you are probably in for a 5+ hour loop so keep consuming calories and fluids throughout the round. A recent study at UCONN's Human Performance Laboratory suggested that in young men, mild dehydration (defined as 1.5% loss of normal water volume in the body) caused difficulty with mental tasks, particularly in the areas of vigilance and working memory in addition to fatigue, tension, and anxiety. Does that sound like a fun emotional profile for golf competitions?

Finally, savor everything about the day and remember you are competing because you enjoy it. Have fun out there regardless of the result. Play well!

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

State Ams can be tough. I'm assuming you play and or practice 4-5 days a week. In short, the guys that are the "real" contenders in these events are basically Professional Amateurs. Hopefully your 3 hcp will get you in your event. And, hopefully you'll play down to a scratch or better. That's what it's going to take to seriously compete.

Best of luck.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Most of my advice has been said above but I will add some things that I try to do. Try to play slower and slow everything down. Usually nerves cause you to play faster so slowing down gets you to your normal place. Also dont try to birdie every hole pars are your best friend. Take advantage of the holes you should like par 5's.  Most State Ams usually 72 will get you to the next stage.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Most of my advice has been said above but I will add some things that I try to do. Try to play slower and slow everything down. Usually nerves cause you to play faster so slowing down gets you to your normal place. Also dont try to birdie every hole pars are your best friend. Take advantage of the holes you should like par 5's.  Most State Ams usually 72 will get you to the next stage.

Agree! I'd probably change that 72 to a 75-77 though. At least to qualify. Most of the time people don't light it up in the qualifiers. 72 would be almost guaranteeing a spot to me.  

Now to compete in the AM, par or better is gonna be needed to get anywhere close to the leader board. 

Edit: I have limited experience though where I know KC has played in a lot of these things. 

I guess it depends on the State haha. I have shot 70 and not made it and I have shot 73 and made it so it depends on the day. Dont focus on a score and just make as many pars as you can add in a couple birdies and enjoy yourself. Take every tournament as a learning experience.

I played college and mini tour golf and then took 6 years off after joining the Navy. I took me 6 tournaments to remember all the things that worked before and actually get them to work as far as a mind set and emotions. Dont expect perfection the first time it takes awhile to control everything under pressure.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I'll agree with KC. It all depends on field size. I've seen 72's not get in and 77's get in.

It will be different than playing a round with your buddies. They call you to the tee, announcing your name and town. That is fun.

Remember to take it one shot at a time. You will make bogeys. And remember you do not have to play perfect. No one does.

Just relax and enjoy it. I know I play to get the butterflies going and love that feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

-Taylor

TBHambone27, great post and good on yah for asking. As a guy who played college golf and state Am events here are my thoughts.

1. Qualifiers are 18 one-hole matches against the course. It is inevitable that you will make a couple bogies, but as a low hdcp you should make at least one birdie per side. But take each hole one-at-a-time.

2. A couple practice rounds is good. First one I would use just to get details about the layout and where any hazards might impact you. Use it to gather yardages to targets as well. Take the second practice round seriously and have your caddie come play the course with you so they get a feel.

3. Have a caddie, playing without draining energy carrying a bag makes a HUGE difference. You can spend more energy on shot selection and execution. Plus they can take care of yardage and club cleaning, divot fixing, bunker raking, etc.

4. Make sure you take proper gear with you for the weather.

5. Make sure you bring "good" snacks that have some protein and lots of carbs. I like Cliff Bars, granola bars, beef jerky, and healthier protein bars without a lot of fillers. Also, highly recommend a banana at the turn. Get a vitamin water of some sorts to have as well.

6. Practice with a purpose and know what your miss is. A two-way miss is deadly in tourney play.

7. On tourney day, keep things to your normal routine but also I would recommend starting with some fun. I always throw a ball with my caddy in the parking lot to warm up.

8. Just remember that nerves are normal and if you do get the shakes a little bit then please remember two things. The "see the field scene" from Bagger Vance and Tin Cup's words of wisdom. 👍👍👍

Cheers

- Burk

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

Schedule more tournaments this summer. After such a long layoff it might be tough. Don't get discouraged and use it for experience.

I'd look at state and usga mid-ams. We are same age and I've had success at this level because it gets me away from the high level D1 college players and blue chip high school prospects. Sure there are a couple Professional Amateurs with no show jobs, but a lot more ordinary players with jobs and families.

Have fun and good luck!

I guess it depends on the State haha. I have shot 70 and not made it and I have shot 73 and made it so it depends on the day. Dont focus on a score and just make as many pars as you can add in a couple birdies and enjoy yourself. Take every tournament as a learning experience.

I played college and mini tour golf and then took 6 years off after joining the Navy. I took me 6 tournaments to remember all the things that worked before and actually get them to work as far as a mind set and emotions. Dont expect perfection the first time it takes awhile to control everything under pressure.

I know you had played in a bunch in California and places like that so I figured the scores would be much lower in a place like that where the population is higher as well. Same for Illinois with Jacustom. The smaller states generally don't have as low qualifying scores for the most part though. I wonder which states are hardest to qualify for? Time to do some research and maybe start a new thread :) 

I'd guess Alabama will have lower scores than MS by a little bit but I doubt that it gets below par to qualify though. But I've not played in state am there, so I'm not sure.

I know you had played in a bunch in California and places like that so I figured the scores would be much lower in a place like that where the population is higher as well. Same for Illinois with Jacustom. The smaller states generally don't have as low qualifying scores for the most part though. I wonder which states are hardest to qualify for? Time to do some research and maybe start a new thread :)

I'd guess Alabama will have lower scores than MS by a little bit but I doubt that it gets below par to qualify though. But I've not played in state am there, so I'm not sure.

I can only speak for Illinois but the state qualifiers are based on field size. If it's a full field (90) golfers the you'll get in with 76-77 for 18 holes. If it's less you need to shoot 73 or under. It all depends on field size here in Illinois.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I can only speak for Illinois but the state qualifiers are based on field size. If it's a full field (90) golfers the you'll get in with 76-77 for 18 holes. If it's less you need to shoot 73 or under. It all depends on field size here in Illinois.

Its field size for us as well. But the larger qualifiers usually have the best players too so it evens it out. Usually 74-77 will get you through. Although i saw a 79 get you in at 1 a few years back.

Archived