Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

I suck at golf!

ole gray

• 1 year later...

Resurrection of this thread.  After today’s practice, I have no idea why I play this game.  Go from hitting my targets to nothing good.  Half tempted to give this crap up.  These long layoffs, and recovering I can’t get anything synced up.  I may actually have to take a lesson, because if my season is anything like today. I might as well not even waste the money on greens fees.  Yeah, it’s just chipping and pitching in my yard but it isn’t good.  Might be time to hang it all up for a bit.

I'm going back to the range today to see if yesterday's performance was just shaking of the winter rust or if I need to take a lesson again.

What ever I had going on last fall it is not there now. It's bad..

Resurrection of this thread.  After today’s practice, I have no idea why I play this game.  Go from hitting my targets to nothing good.  Half tempted to give this crap up.  These long layoffs, and recovering I can’t get anything synced up.  I may actually have to take a lesson, because if my season is anything like today. I might as well not even waste the money on greens fees.  Yeah, it’s just chipping and pitching in my yard but it isn’t good.  Might be time to hang it all up for a bit.

Sent from my SM-N960W using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

33 minutes ago, Shankster said:

we've all been there Shankster, well most of us have. John Jacobs described it as "total swing disintegration" and his remedy to get back on track is "back to basics, i.e the fundamentals"

Grip, posture, alignment, then slow smooth swings building the momentum.

It works. Try it. 

Good luck

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I'm going back to the range today to see if yesterday's performance was just shaking of the winter rust or if I need to take a lesson again.

What ever I had going on last fall it is not there now. It's bad..

Sent from my SM-N960W using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Try placing a second ball at the 3 o’clock position just a couple inches away in relation to the one you are hitting. The goal is to hit the first cleanly. You’ll be amazed how the second ball will focus your swing path more down the target line.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

I played my first 9 holes last week after work. We didn't keep score, but I'm sure I was in the mid 50's...lol. I usually carry a 4-5 handicap in league. It just takes getting out there and hitting balls again until you get back in rhythm. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Really terrible days on the golf course happens to everyone.

Well this is an interesting thread (just for info my shoulders getiing a bit better)

i dont want bore you ,but heres my twopenneth worth

i like golf i loved watching it as a kid  in the late 60`s and 70`s (well until late 70`s when girls ...........well you know)

But wasn`t until 1998 when I played first in the USA visiting family . So to cut a long story short

i buy clubs , i try to play......... air shots galore ........... you know the story...... i have a free lesson then i pay for a few lesson but i work shifts  so no practice

But also .........  no natural ability ..............i was no good at any sport at school, so i think it becomes harder . So i pack up and sell everything just over a year passes and i try again but its not happening . I was going to try again........... no shifts now, more time to practice, find a swing for me , have lessons, join a club (thats a laugh)

So yes i really do suck at golf ......... but so what

The only way i can drive a ball straight is put in on the passenger seat in my car.......ok i tried to make a joke !!!!

When my shoulders fully fit, i will go to my local 9 holes .......its cheap and cheerful and  i will go to the local pitch and putt which is very good ,no slow issues there lol ............and i will  pretend i can play

Take care all ,enjoy yourselves and everyone can have a bad day at the office.

I played yesterday on a course I shot 93 on last week. Got there and a couple of guys asked if I wanted to play in with them, as I was solo. I told them that I wasn't very good, but did anyway. Boy, did I live up to my billing. They wanted to play from the tips, which none of us should have. Shot 112 with 46 putts. Couldn't hit a straight drive to save my life, the best part it was cart path only and I got a LOT of exercise crossing the fairway. It's days like that where I question my sanity.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

9 hours ago, Shankster said:

hahaha  You say that now, but when the weather turns, you will be scoring a PB in no time.  You can't tell how you will play in a month by what's happening now.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

There is a great book called, Why I Suck at Golf. You can find it on Amazon and there is a digital version. The book provides a humorous look at 50 common mistakes made by many of us every time we go out. Correcting all or even a percentage of these will most certainly lead to better or at least more enjoyable golf.

I love this one, “you play with people you don’t like”. I once played in a club tournament in Maui. Going into the last round I was 8 shots ahead of the nearest competitor. The night before I was very relaxed and confidant. I really felt there was no one in the field who could beat me by 9 strokes over 18 holes.

When I showed up the next morning I discovered I was paired with D. D was one of those guys who felt the world belonged to him and everyone else was just leasing his land. He was also an incredibly average golfer who reacted to every shot as if his talent should place him on the PGA tour. He yelled, he screamed, he threw clubs and he drank (a lot). Teeing off in the last group of 16 total Golfers ranging from scratch to 22 handicap not only did I have to play with and ride in a Golf cart with a guy I didn’t enjoy I was also destined to do it for 6 long hours.

Long story short I shot 6 over my handicap thus making the tournament a lot closer than it needed to be. If I’m honest “D” is a great guy. A really good man in all facets of life. However, it’s painful to play Golf with him and he always makes the outing less enjoyable for me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

19 hours ago, Shankster said:

You might be bitching now, but this time next year, after actually being able to play a bit during the winter, you won't be.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

• 1 month later...

All I can say is that I enjoy buying new equipment more than playing! I truly believe that the problem is the putter, not the puttee!

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

I suck at Golf!

Played a fair bit as a kid, never very seriously. Mostly played with dad when the wind wasn't strong enough for windsurfing.

Fast forward to last year, I picked up the game again and was hooked. Took me all last season, with some lessons to get into the 95 range. Club champs last year I shot 101, 104, 111, to give you all an idea of where I was at. Being a proud Canadian, I practiced indoors with my coach all winter in hopes of coming back and beating the old guys in C flight who were shooting their age at 92 😅.

This year I Started with a 106, gradually coming down to a PB of 89. After that I was shooting low 90's, around the time it came to go on a vacation and visit family. Played every day I was home, sometimes twice. the best I shot was a 95, worst was up at 109. It was demoralizing to no end, and I had thought I lost all of the progress I had made.

Yesterday at work I spent a good chunk of the day reading through all of your "I suck at golf" experiences. I was scheduled to play a new course(Bridges Golf Course, just outside of Winnipeg, MB - highly recommend if you're in the area), and I had decided that I suck at golf and I would just enjoy being out in the sunshine come hell or high water.

I smashed my PB with an 86, including two 9's(one on a par 5, one on a par 4). The moral of the story to me, is that we all love this game for the challenge. The crushing lows makes the highs that much better, and the true happiness comes from the pursuit of the game.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences, I'm proud to suck at golf with all of you. May your next round be your best round, and yesterday's make it that much sweeter.

Cheers 😃

Matt

Edited by Mmdanz

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 9° - Smoke Black 70 X 

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3wd 14° - Tensei Blue 60 S

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° - PX 105g 6.5

Mizuno JPX919 Tour 4-P - KBS Tour 130X

Callaway MD4 56°- DG S200 

Callaway MD4 52° - DG S200

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 

PING Vault 2.0 Anser(copper finish)

Volvik S4