Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

I suck at golf!

ole gray

I'm a former college golfer, although small college. Today I can shoot anywhere from 71-87. I always hit it good on the range so I never know what will actually happen once I get in the course. The last 2-3 years I hit shots that are mind-numbingly bad. Simple shots that just make me wonder what I'm doing spending money on this game. But alas, I keep going out and playing and practicing. I suck

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

The truth shall set you free brother

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

The truth shall set you free brother

Of course I also hit a lot of shots where I say "yeah it's still in there" sometimes it's one of those things like I make the easy shots look hard and the hard shots look easy.

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Golf is brutally beautiful

Not mine, very appropriate

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I want to quit. If I could find another form of stress release I would quit. I'm tired of being inconsistent. I'm tired of not knowing what's coming next. In five years I've gone from 50/50 to break 74 to 50/50 to break 80.

I'm totally clueless and if it weren't for the fact that I have so many friends that play I'd quit in a heartbeat.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I want to quit. If I could find another form of stress release I would quit. I'm tired of being inconsistent. I'm tired of not knowing what's coming next. In five years I've gone from 50/50 to break 74 to 50/50 to break 80.

I'm totally clueless and if it weren't for the fact that I have so many friends that play I'd quit in a heartbeat.

Stay strong my friend! This game can get frustrating to the point you do want to quit, but remember all the good things about the game and the round and build on that. Pros have that ability to just let it go on even the next swing where we amateurs dwell on the bad way too much. Have a beer at the 19th, shake it off and just do better next time :)

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I did quit about 8 years ago. Was a member of my local country club and everything. Started back last year, most rounds I wonder why I ever picked up a set of clubs up again. But there's always that one shot or one hole that keeps you coming back.

CobraConnectChallenge3

No doubt if you're looking at a form of relaxation and have a competitive bone in your body, then golf is not the ticket. I see it as a stress inducer over a stress releaser. We seek perfection in a game where it's not gonna happen. The best thing we can do, if we want true relaxation is to let go. Not necessarily golf but of expectations we either no longer can perform or never was able to obtain. Only then can we play golf for the fun of it.

Cleveland

The temps have warmed up and I thought that might improve my game a little.  But I'm still sucking at golf.  I feel like I am still hitting the ball about the same; sure, I have the usual mis-hits and bad holes that come with a player of my dis-ability, but I really haven't been saving those holes with my short game like I used to.  It's frustrating because I have spent a lot of time working on that this spring, and it hasn't seemed to translate into better scores.

The worse part of my game right now compared to last year is putting.  I would have never said I was a great putter, but I thought I was decent.  Lately, I suck!  Maybe my putter knows that I have been looking around... at more sexy putters.  If I stopped looking, would it become old faithful again?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I did quit about 8 years ago. Was a member of my local country club and everything. Started back last year, most rounds I wonder why I ever picked up a set of clubs up again. But there's always that one shot or one hole that keeps you coming back.

There's always 1 every round

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Rev - I don't know you personally, of course, but this sounds uncharacteristically "down" for you.... Sorry to hear it .. thought from earlier posts it seemed after your surgery you were happy to be back out playing.

Anyway, I'm the last guy to try and offer any kind of advice to a Reverend so I'll "second" MDGolfHacker's and Ole Gray's comments.

I will add, though, as guys it's just not in our nature to calmly accept that we're aging and so losing a bit of strength and a bit of flexibility and, well, a bit of physical capability each and every year.................

P.S.:

Which is (one of many reasons / excuses) why I suck at golf.

But so help me I do enjoy trying to improve and trying to play the game!!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

The temps have warmed up and I thought that might improve my game a little. But I'm still sucking at golf. I feel like I am still hitting the ball about the same; sure, I have the usual mis-hits and bad holes that come with a player of my dis-ability, but I really haven't been saving those holes with my short game like I used to. It's frustrating because I have spent a lot of time working on that this spring, and it hasn't seemed to translate into better scores.

The worse part of my game right now compared to last year is putting. I would have never said I was a great putter, but I thought I was decent. Lately, I suck! Maybe my putter knows that I have been looking around... at more sexy putters. If I stopped looking, would it become old faithful again?

I recently changed putters. And putting grip, too. So far it's helping.

But, yes, it's all ultimately in your own head and not in the club.

That said, however, a change in equipment may bring a change in perspective....?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

The temps have warmed up and I thought that might improve my game a little. But I'm still sucking at golf. I feel like I am still hitting the ball about the same; sure, I have the usual mis-hits and bad holes that come with a player of my dis-ability, but I really haven't been saving those holes with my short game like I used to. It's frustrating because I have spent a lot of time working on that this spring, and it hasn't seemed to translate into better scores.

The worse part of my game right now compared to last year is putting. I would have never said I was a great putter, but I thought I was decent. Lately, I suck! Maybe my putter knows that I have been looking around... at more sexy putters. If I stopped looking, would it become old faithful again?

Give it a little more time to warm up and you'll be chipping in for a bird or a par save in no time ;)

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Rev - I don't know you personally, of course, but this sounds uncharacteristically "down" for you.... Sorry to hear it .. thought from earlier posts it seemed after your surgery you were happy to be back out playing.

Anyway, I'm the last guy to try and offer any kind of advice to a Reverend so I'll "second" MDGolfHacker's and Ole Gray's comments.

I will add, though, as guys it's just not in our nature to calmly accept that we're aging and so losing a bit of strength and a bit of flexibility and, well, a bit of physical capability each and every year.................

Wait, you can't bend yourself into a pretzel like in high school ;) ha ha ha ;) . So very true. Each year I feel my game is slipping away a yard at a time and gaining a skulled wedge shot at a time :(. I'm just enjoying the game for what is is and that I'm able to get out there to participate and be with good buddies.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

I'll make you all feel better........... none of you suck as bad as me!...lol.

I have gone from a 3 HC in league to a 12. I can't do one thing right anymore.

My driver is my go to club. It hates me! I can't get off the tee anymore. My irons also hate me. I dumped 2 balls in the lake and took a 9 on a par 5. My wedges all want to go left, like there is some awseome female wedge lurking that direction...lol. My putter kind of likes me, but that's of no use when it takes 4-5 shots just to get on the green. My game is a mess! 

I feel your pain, Rev!

My driver is my go to club. It hates me! I can't get off the tee anymore. My irons also hate me. I dumped 2 balls in the lake and took a 9 on a par 5. My wedges all want to go left, like there is some awseome female wedge lurking that direction...lol. My putter kind of likes me, but that's of no use when it takes 4-5 shots just to get on the green. My game is a mess!

I feel your pain, Rev!

Good on you brother for testifying

If you play golf,,, the "I suck" Monster will bite your arse sooner or later.

Cleveland

I feel your pain, Rev!

This game is maddening

Keep it in the short stuff

I feel your pain, Rev!

Deep breath, deep breath... A shot at a time. Don't dwell on the past, focus on the hear and now. I've been there. Last year's league for me was up and down. Shoot a 38 one week and a 53 the next. I focused on the bad shots too much. This year, I'm going to focus on a shot at a time and not dwelling on that triple on the dang par 5 that really made me angr... Focus on the good shots, focus on the good shots... Lol.. Ended up winning low net.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

I feel your pain, Rev!

OK, I feel better... but not by much.  I am feeling bad about your game right now, so you better suck it up before I get worse!!  lol

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...

Okay.............. I'm seriously about ready to just give up this game.... at least for this year. I just shot +23 on the back 9 in league. It gets worse every week. I'm considering telling my partner to find someone else to play with. I can't continue to play like this..... it isn't even remotely fun at this point. 

I used to be a decent player. I feel like I've never played the game at all. I have no idea what is wrong or how fix it at this point. I'm at the end of my rope and I just don't need the aggravation any more.

If any of you have gone through this (at this level of suck) what did you do to get out of it? I can't do this much longer before I just sell everything and quit.

Okay.............. I'm seriously about ready to just give up this game.... at least for this year. I just shot +23 on the back 9 in league. It gets worse every week. I'm considering telling my partner to find someone else to play with. I can't continue to play like this..... it isn't even remotely fun at this point.

I used to be a decent player. I feel like I've never played the game at all. I have no idea what is wrong or how fix it at this point. I'm at the end of my rope and I just don't need the aggravation any more.

If any of you have gone through this (at this level of suck) what did you do to get out of it? I can't do this much longer before I just sell everything and quit.

Oof! I've been there brother. I sold my clubs a few years back because it got so bad. But I was back soon after.

Remember Dory (from the Finding Nemo movie): Just keep swinging. Sometimes the more you try the worse it gets. Accept you're in a down period, lower your expectations and keep swinging! You'll be back in the grove soon.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Shot a 81 Monday not world shattering but I'm happy. Today shot an 86 and felt like 106! Everything felt bad. BUT a beautiful day, great weather and decent company so not a loss.

There's always tomorrow morning 7:30 am try again.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

You may need to take a couple weeks off and clear your head.   You know there is a game in there so you will see it again soon.  No doubt when the wheels fall off we all too often start pushing for a quick fix.  The harder we push the worst our games get.  Golf will not let you dictate how soon your game comes back around. It's simply not going to work trying to force good scores. Once you unload the thought of I got to play good golf off your back, and let it happen naturally, you will be back on track.  You're a solid player buddy. Let the game come back to you.

Cleveland

You may need to take a couple weeks off and clear your head. You know there is a game in there so you will see it again soon. No doubt when the wheels fall off we all too often start pushing for a quick fix. The harder we push the worst our games get. Golf will not let you dictate how soon your game comes back around. It's simply not going to work trying to force good scores. Once you unload the thought of I got to play good golf off your back, and let it happen naturally, you will be back on track. You're a solid player buddy. Let the game come back to you.

Grasshopper, been there a couple of times the last was the worst.

Not only was I playing like s$&t but I got a case of the "hosel rocket" on all my short shots. I just quit for a couple of days went back to practice green and no change. Balls rocketing everywhere! I checked around to get info about a good teaching Pro. I got lucky and found a better than good instructor. He did not try to break me down and start over instead he built on what I got and straightened out my old Irish butt.

Glad I did, don't like bowling.

Good luck and stay with it.

Rick

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• 2 months later...

It's official!!! I was working on my 40-70 yard game today. Started out perfect!!! Then I looked down and said uh oh... what is that thing, that doesn't look like the right set up, what club is that, why are you standing here???? F%^k!!!

Leaving the clubface open... why am I doing that? What can I do to stop.

It's official!!! I was working on my 40-70 yard game today. Started out perfect!!! Then I looked down and said uh oh... what is that thing, that doesn't look like the right set up, what club is that, why are you standing here???? F%^k!!!

Leaving the clubface open... why am I doing that? What can I do to stop.

Soooo if we are all honest to the bone, we suck at golf!  If you don't,,,,, then you need to flap ya frigging wings and fly on up to Heaven...  Most of us suck at golf and if ya don't so be it.... 

Cleveland

• 1 month later...

Just reviving this thread to get this off my chest... I suck!

I don't know what it is about playing with groups of people that absolutely kills my game. I practiced before league tonight, hit everything great. Then league started and I felt like a turd . I have a tournament coming Saturday, my first one, so I need something to change!!

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Don't put so much pressure on yourself dude. The more serious you take it, the harder of a time you'll have. Just play like it's a normal ole round.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I don't know what it is about playing with groups of people that absolutely kills my game. I practiced before league tonight, hit everything great. Then league started and I felt like a turd . I have a tournament coming Saturday, my first one, so I need something to change!!

Don't play the group. Play the course.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

Just remember YOU know how YOU play golf.. It is not Tiger's game, or Rory's game, it's YOUR game relax and go play YOUR game you'll be fine.. 

It's a GAME.. you play because you enjoy it.. so Go enjoy and play YOUR game.. Have a great round.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

If score is the singular measurement, then I must admit that I am not very good in that context.    However, I like to think or hope that I am a good golfer from another perspective, a social perspective.   That golf is a game to be enjoyed with old friends and, hopefully, new ones.  After a round what is more important to hear from your playing companions--you play a good game or I enjoyed playing with you.   If its the latter, in my opinion, you are a good golfer from that perspective.  You understand what I perceive to be the important goal of golf and have succeeded.