Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

MGS -- Outing Where would you have it?

ole gray

If you wanted to have the first ever MGS Outing, where would you choose your site?  Myself & PlaidGolfer have thought about this......   The thing is MGS would have to approve it to make it legit.....   I'm thinking maybe between the two of us and one or two more folks, we could make this happen....

My thoughts are:  Being a Georgia boy we could do this at Jeykll Island.   With that said where would YOU choose to have the first MGS outing? 

Just saying this may or may not ever happen although personally I think a major MGS meeting would be a HUGE success!!!

Thoughts please???

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the Jeykll island thing. Now not to put a damper on things logistics can be a nightmare and so can timing. Look at the member map we have members all over the USA and Canada. I ran into a simular problem over on WRX a few years ago trying to put together a strictly vintage blades and persimmon tournament. Some of the guys that play together are in the same area (Rev and Fozzy) . As long as I have been on here and later WRX I have yet in person to meet a member from either board. I would love to see us get together even if it is a few of us. I know the West coast bunch get together some. Good luck let me know if I can be of help in any way

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

My wife and I will be heading to Destin, Fla. in June... Maybe we can hook up with some of the Florida folks on the way down

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Cleveland

Gotta be Myrtle Beach, no? 🌴🍻☀

Sent from my LG-D851 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I'm interested. But.... but, It's going to take buy-in by the owners of MGS. Without them it's another 5 man golf outing like we're having down here in Texas next week.MGS would have to get involved and support the event. That gives the deal cred. Next is logistics. Personally, I can go anywhere with a little planning. Again...and but... I think it would need to be a little more centrally located where the majority of members reside which are currently spotted on the member map below. Today I'd say the RTJ Trail in Montgomery/Prattville. Some guys will have to travel more than others. But moving if off the coast at least makes it a little less severe for some and better for others. For instance:

From where I live to Montgomery is 900 miles

Minneapolis - Montgomery: 950

Atlanta - Montgomery: 150

Jackson - Montgomery: 225

Tampa - Montgomery: 450

New York - Montgomery: 900

You can see that we're scattered all over the place. Some can drive and others will have to fly. Everyone would like to have a tournament/event in their backyard. I know I would. Next is determining if members are willing to take on the expense. Entry Fee/green fees, airfare/driving, lodging, meals, etc. I've had a hard time getting guys to drive 1-2 hours for our Texas event. So you can see what we'd be up against. Of course our Texas event doesn't have any incentive either. No payout, prizes, etc. Just a "get together".

The event has to be an EVENT. Not some hack-around deal. Serious golf...but fun and inclusive of all abilities.  Perhaps no less than 3 days of golf. 2 days minimum. 54 holes. There's much to discuss and even more planning to be done. Today I'm thinking 2018 either Spring or Fall.

Let me know how I can help.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/16400-member-map/page-1

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm interested. But.... but, It's going to take buy-in by the owners of MGS. Without them it's another 5 man golf outing like we're having down here in Texas next week.MGS would have to get involved and support the event. That gives the deal cred. Next is logistics. Personally, I can go anywhere with a little planning. Again...and but... I think it would need to be a little more centrally located where the majority of members reside which are currently spotted on the member map below. Today I'd say the RTJ Trail in Montgomery/Prattville. Some guys will have to travel more than others. But moving if off the coast at least makes it a little less severe for some and better for others. For instance:

You can see that we're scattered all over the place. Some can drive and others will have to fly. Everyone would like to have a tournament/event in their backyard. I know I would. Next is determining if members are willing to take on the expense. Entry Fee/green fees, airfare/driving, lodging, meals, etc. I've had a hard time getting guys to drive 1-2 hours for our Texas event. So you can see what we'd be up against. Of course our Texas event doesn't have any incentive either. No payout, prizes, etc. Just a "get together".

The event has to be an EVENT. Not some hack-around deal. Serious golf...but fun and inclusive of all abilities.  Perhaps no less than 3 days of golf. 2 days minimum. 54 holes. There's much to discuss and even more planning to be done. Today I'm thinking 2018 either Spring or Fall.

This is what I'm talking about!  

Your suggestions are spot on and I would like to add one which would be Dancing Rabbit @    http://www.dancingrabbitinn.com/golf-en.html

Let's see what this tread can stir up!

Cleveland

This is what I'm talking about!  

Your suggestions are spot on and I would like to add one which would be Dancing Rabbit @    http://www.dancingrabbitinn.com/golf-en.html

Let's see what this tread can stir up!

As I've mentioned before to you, planning these things always seems great but when it comes down to it, it will be darn near impossible to get a good enough turnout to live up to your expectations

Dancing Rabbit is a good venue. I like the courses too. Bet Undershooter would go for it.

That's exactly right. And... that's why MGS would have to jump in and or underwrite the deal. ie... put their name on it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Dancing Rabbit is a good venue. I like the courses too. Bet Undershooter would go for it.

That's exactly right. And... that's why MGS would have to jump in and or underwrite the deal. ie... put their name on it.

Yep you got a great venue at a site that has 36 holes of golf at a place folks can gambling at night!   All we need is a git some of that and put the dawg on to make it work!!

Nice & slow and let's keep talking this bad body up!

Cleveland

I'll be honest here, Unless it's in MN I'm not going to make it.  Aside from needing someone to cover my airfare, hotel and greens fees I'd also need someone to come and be a nanny for my kids for a few days while I golfed.  It just ain't going to happen.

It's tough enough to try and golf two days in a row at my home course where all I have to do is jump in the cart and drive to the club house.  Actually leaving the state for a golf weekend is a long ways away.

Also I'm not asking this next part as Golfspy Meyer, just asking as Brian who happens to be a member on this board...  When you say MGS support for the outing what does that mean?  Guys are still going to pay greens fees and hotel and food and travel costs.  You can already call it whatever you want.  So what does MGS getting involved look like to you?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• SPY VIP

I sympathize for you guys, as I know first hand planning one of these events without the actual site backing you is no easy task, BUT it can be done. Before acquiring the title GolfSpy, I hosted the first ever MGS event; the Vancouver Open.

I disadvantaged myself right of the bat, not only locating the event in Canada, but on the west coast and 1 well long as well. So I wasn't surprised when I only got 4 of the American members to attend, but fortunately we were able to wrangle an equal amount of local guys for the week as well. Geezes, back then we probably only had, maybe, 50 regular active members, so getting 4 US guys to come to Canada plus a handful of local participants was a pretty epic feat.

Anyways good luck and might I make a few suggestions.

If you're going to make it a forum wide event pick something right in the middle of the US, like Kansas. Otherwise try for local events, going big scale can be very difficult. Heck if I had just focused on local guys I might have actually turned Vancouver into a 20+ player event.

Come to think of it we didn't do too bad, even had a volunteer sponsor who made our hats and covers and even attended from Texas.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I'll be honest here, Unless it's in MN I'm not going to make it. Aside from needing someone to cover my airfare, hotel and greens fees I'd also need someone to come and be a nanny for my kids for a few days while I golfed. It just ain't going to happen.

It's tough enough to try and golf two days in a row at my home course where all I have to do is jump in the cart and drive to the club house. Actually leaving the state for a golf weekend is a long ways away.

Also I'm not asking this next part as Golfspy Meyer, just asking as Brian who happens to be a member on this board... When you say MGS support for the outing what does that mean? Guys are still going to pay greens fees and hotel and food and travel costs. You can already call it whatever you want. So what does MGS getting involved look like to you?

You nailed it. I'm sure everyone on here would be for it, but when it came time to block the calendar and open up the wallet you'd maybe get a 2% response rate.

The event has to be an EVENT. Not some hack-around deal. Serious golf...but fun and inclusive of all abilities. Perhaps no less than 3 days of golf. 2 days minimum. 54 holes. There's much to discuss and even more planning to be done. Today I'm thinking 2018 either Spring or Fall.

Skip Montgomery and get back up to Birmingham. Ross Bridge is unbelievable!!! I was just there last Sunday on my way over to the par 3 at the masters (damn rain!). I'm not lying when I say the conditions are almost as good as Augusta. IMG_1169.JPG

Good feedback already....   Keep it coming as this is simply a feeder to see who is interested? 

Cleveland

My thoughts are : ideal would be a resort or hotel next to course & close enough to airport that a cheap transportation can be had. Besides high airfare from where I'm at, then hotel for roughly 4 nights (that's covering weekend golf) food drink & golf. Adding rental car would take it up to $1500~$2000

My thoughts are : ideal would be a resort or hotel next to course & close enough to airport that a cheap transportation can be had. Besides high airfare from where I'm at, then hotel for roughly 4 nights (that's covering weekend golf) food drink & golf. Adding rental car would take it up to $1500~$2000

Yup, and that's more than my entire golf budget for the year.

Well this is a great idea but in my experience of playing in tourneys and "group outings" it is something that needs to be put together well in advance. I think Ole Gray has a great concept here but it is gonna take a lot of work. I live in southeast Michigan so traveling anywhere I have to fly right now would be challenging. I've got a wife and two young kids that I love being with so I would have to find a place within a day's drive and be able to have them lodge at the venue area. So that puts me no farther then Kentucky, Tennessee, Illinois, or the Carolinas at the farthest.

We would need a committee to organize everything and would have to figure out the destination costs. I used to be an assistant club professional so I'm very skilled at event planning.

1. We need a golf facility that has either lodging on site or a nice tourist hotel area very close. We could set up a block of rooms, or reserve lodging on property.

2. We'd need to get a negotiated price for the golf and figure out how many rounds and days. I would want something like 5 days. 1 day to arrive, 3 days for golf, and 1 day for goodbyes and return travel.

3. It would be best to have it as a Mon-Fri deal for pricing, and do it in the fall.

4. I would really want there to be some type of Ryder Cup style event, or a team Step-Aside event. Or team multi-format event. I've got the capability with scoring program resources and we can handicap everything.

5. We'd have to set up a deposit system to create commitment. And make sure guys get locked in early.

6. We don't need a 60-guy "outing" but we would really want like an 18-24 person event over three days.

That's just some nuts and bolts of it. Really like some others have pointed out, it has to be a regionalized thing because it would be a lot to ask guys to travel across country. This is an awesome idea and here are some destinations I would recommend in the Midwest area.

1. Firestone CC (OH)

2. Forest Dunes GC (MI)

3. Boone's Trace Nat'l GC (KY)

4. Purgatory GC (IN)

5. Stonewall Resort (WV)

So those are my thoughts. If it is going to happen, we would need serious commitment and deposits by several members. I think one thing that would help is MGS maybe throwing in some door prizes or T-Gifts. Or sponsoring a trophy, and make it an annual thing. It could move around from region to region. Maybe have a few each year in different areas of the membership base.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

Other sites have tried and failed. Other sites have tried and done it very well.

But I having some of these local area get togethers is at least a start, TX, OH, GA, CN and the one I'm doing here in MD help I'm getting guys out to meet each other.

Then the interest in wanting to meet and play with other Spies would probably grow from there.

GS_Shawm asked what we would expect from MGS, I would say aside from them taking the lead on picking a date and location and showing up themselves, not much else. I know I know those are pretty big steps, but as Ole Gray said, it makes it legit right off the bat.

It doesn't have to have any grand prizes or equipment, just like minded individuals showing up for a day or two of golf.

Of course a lot won't be able to make it due to time off, cost, travel limitations and Famly obligations. But that's ok that is always going to be the case.

MSG would have to asks for a commitment up front in way of s deposit or something that shows sincere intent, before they put there time and money for travel on the line.

Or heck there are some pretty darn good world class courses within an hour of their HQ. They could pick one of those to keep their commitment to a minimum.

Perhaps I'm over simplifying it as someone with no kids, a flexible job and understanding spouse, i have less obstacles.

Good post OG. Like you said, let's at least keep the tslk going.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Well this is a great idea but in my experience of playing in tourneys and "group outings" it is something that needs to be put together well in advance. I think Ole Gray has a great concept here but it is gonna take a lot of work. I live in southeast Michigan so traveling anywhere I have to fly right now would be challenging. I've got a wife and two young kids that I love being with so I would have to find a place within a day's drive and be able to have them lodge at the venue area. So that puts me no farther then Kentucky, Tennessee, Illinois, or the Carolinas at the farthest.

We would need a committee to organize everything and would have to figure out the destination costs. I used to be an assistant club professional so I'm very skilled at event planning.

1. We need a golf facility that has either lodging on site or a nice tourist hotel area very close. We could set up a block of rooms, or reserve lodging on property.

2. We'd need to get a negotiated price for the golf and figure out how many rounds and days. I would want something like 5 days. 1 day to arrive, 3 days for golf, and 1 day for goodbyes and return travel.

3. It would be best to have it as a Mon-Fri deal for pricing, and do it in the fall.

4. I would really want there to be some type of Ryder Cup style event, or a team Step-Aside event. Or team multi-format event. I've got the capability with scoring program resources and we can handicap everything.

5. We'd have to set up a deposit system to create commitment. And make sure guys get locked in early.

6. We don't need a 60-guy "outing" but we would really want like an 18-24 person event over three days.

That's just some nuts and bolts of it. Really like some others have pointed out, it has to be a regionalized thing because it would be a lot to ask guys to travel across country. This is an awesome idea and here are some destinations I would recommend in the Midwest area.

1. Firestone CC (OH)

2. Forest Dunes GC (MI)

3. Boone's Trace Nat'l GC (KY)

4. Purgatory GC (IN)

5. Stonewall Resort (WV)

So those are my thoughts. If it is going to happen, we would need serious commitment and deposits by several members. I think one thing that would help is MGS maybe throwing in some door prizes or T-Gifts. Or sponsoring a trophy, and make it an annual thing. It could move around from region to region. Maybe have a few each year in different areas of the membership base.

I've got a connection at Purgatory and if it was there, I could immediately get at least 4.guys to join MGS and commit to it.

I've got a connection at Purgatory and if it was there, I could immediately get at least 4.guys to join MGS and commit to it.

I love love love Purgatory golf course. Played there for the Anderson University invite during college and it is a beast from the tips. Hell of a track, fully worth holding an event. Plus it is a reasonable treck for me to get there👍

Ballyneal Golf and Hunt Club

Holyoke, CO

Location couldn't be much more central and the course is absolutely incredible.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I love love love Purgatory golf course. Played there for the Anderson University invite during college and it is a beast from the tips. Hell of a track, fully worth holding an event. Plus it is a reasonable treck for me to get there👍

If I remember correctly it is the longest non-mountain course in the country from the tips.

If I remember correctly it is the longest non-mountain course in the country from the tips.

That's a cool fact. Never played it. But I know the GM and the four guys I mentioned are friends that live in the area and play it often.

I'd love an excuse to go see them all!!

This is getting pretty exciting, even though its in it's infancy talking

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I think the best way to ever get an "official MGS" event is to start small. A few guys meet in some city and go from there.

I don't think there is ever going to be a way to have many people travel from far away on the first shot. It just isn't feasible. I also don't think it should be labeled as a tournament or any other type of competition, that might make some of the less competitive or skilled guys not wanna come out. This should be about fun and making new friends. Not feel like you have to bring your best game to win some prizes.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I love these ideas...in theory.  Hell, I live 45 minutes from GolfSpy Meyer and we play maybe once or twice a year.  Travel, day jobs and busy schedules make it difficult.  I do travel a lot and would love to hook up with folks in different areas - have played with Stroker Ace and others in MA, High Fade and others in Colorado and then there was the mother of all golf trips -- the Unofficial MGS Invitation in Vancouver.

That was a perfect storm - I was up there for work anyway and was able to stay a couple of extra days to play a couple of rounds with the guys. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived