I am brand loyal somewhat.

Woods & Hybrids have always liked Cobra

Irons Mizuno fits my eye, and have always liked the feel

Titleist wedges more options. have went away, but keep coming back

Putters I am all over the place. This year I have settled on the Wilson 8802 style I used this back in the late 70's so it has been working great so far.

Are you using the same putter from back in the day? Or what model are you using?

- Alan

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The more in play and the more informed I become the more brand agnostic I have become.     Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Nope,   not brand loyal at all regarding clubs or ball.   I am willing to put any club in my bag it it will provide better performance that the club it is replacing.   I do seem to always gravitate

After hitting those KING MB's I might be a Cobra loyalist. Smoooooooth. I have dreams about them.   Other things: Apple, won't buy any other electronics. Why? Quality and excellent customer serv

Posted Images

Looking forward to your review. See how they fair against your Srixon's [emoji1360]

- Alan

Yeah. I think the 565.end of the set will be a fair comparison. Maybe not exact as they are forged. But I've seen in some info out there that the 900 HM are pretty soft feeling for a cast iron.
  • Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Loyalty, schmoyalty -- I'm a ho.

Do have some brands that are favorites -- Wilson Staff, Srixon, Mizuno and Bridgestone come to mind. I'm still hoping that Hogan isn't gone but that's just foolish optimism at this point, as I'm a big fan of the old Hogan brand. Also, in honor of Big Stu, I have a set of MacGregor's that get games every so often.  

I've game both Titleist and TaylorMade in the past, and won't do it again. Had an M1 for about a month last year and HATED it. Have never gamed much Callaway, but have always dug the new Apex irons. Epic couldn't beat the Srixon Z565 driver for me, though. 

Balls are Bridgestone, Srixon, Snell and the occasional Wilson. Stocked up on Srixon's now so that will be the ball until they're all gone - which could be sooner rather than later based on recent rounds  :o

• Like 4

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Are you using the same putter from back in the day? Or what model are you using?

- Alan

The old style 8802, mine was not Milled back then, and no leather grip.

• Like 1

:ping-small:  Driver G425 Max 9*
:ping-small:   3 wood G425 Max

:callaway-small: Maverik Irons 4i to AW  
 :cleveland-small:   Zipcore Tour rack 50/10 M 54/10 M 58/12 F                                 

:taylormade-small: FCG #7 

:taylormade-small: TP5x 2021

Shorts and shirts are Greg Norman found at Macy's. They go thru the laundry very nicely. Shoes primarily Foot Joy.

Balls.....I'm constantly trying different ones but I do like Wilson Duo/Duo Spin/ Duo U and Snell MTB's

Irons....currently Ben Hogan, Fairways and Hybrids...Cobra, Driver Wilson Staff Triton

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrid: Ben Hogan VKTR 3 Hybrid(18*) w/Recoil ES Hybrid(75 GM) regular shaft Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).  Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Shorts and shirts are Greg Norman found at Macy's. They go thru the laundry very nicely. Shoes primarily Foot Joy.

Balls.....I'm constantly trying different ones but I do like Wilson Duo/Duo Spin/ Duo U and Snell MTB's

Irons....currently Ben Hogan, Fairways and Hybrids...Cobra, Driver Wilson Staff Triton

Greg Norman shirts especially M75 are awesome. No Macy's around here. Pro shops have 50% off sales end of each season (Florida seasons?) that's sales season that's when I load up on shirts.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

My loyalty wavers a bit depending on what works for me.

Driver - I've found that they all perform pretty consistently, in terms of distance, as long as the shaft is fitted correctly so it really comes down to what looks good, feels good and gives me the most confidence.  Right now that's the Callaway Epic (despite my disdain for the gimmicky BS marketing stuff from Callaway).

Fairway Wood - Forever it was the Bridgestone J15F (which I still have in the garage) but I've converted to the Cobra F7 purely because I LOVE the baffler rails.  Not really brand-specific on this one...just love the tech and the feel.

Hybrid - Same as the fairway wood.

Irons - I've been on the Srixon train since the 45 series launched a few years back and I don't see that changing anytime soon.  Love that the brand puts out a quality product without stupid marketing nonsense.  The feel is absolutely the best I've hit out of anything on the market and the VT sole tech is incredible.

Wedges - again, very fickle in this department.  For the longest time I hated Vokeys but when the SM6 came out I tried them and they felt great and work so well.  That said, I've demo'd the Callaway Forged and they felt outstanding too.  Gonna wear out the grooves on the Vokeys before I make any potential changes.

Putter - I love my Edel custom putter.  That said, I rotate between it and the Odyssey.  I've been an Odyssey guy since High School.  Just love the softer feel.

Ball - also pretty wide open to whatever works.  Right now it's the TP5.

Clothing - I was a Nike brand guy for a long time until they went to this skin tight, no collar garbage with horrible colors recently.  Tried UA but their shorts don't fit great and the shirts are kind of 'meh' in terms of fit.  Finally landed on Adidas.  Love the Ultimate shorts and their polos look great, fit great and can be found at very reasonable prices.

So I guess the long and short is I'm not terribly brand loyal.  I game what works and what feels good.

• Like 3

Greg Norman shirts especially M75 are awesome. No Macy's around here. Pro shops have 50% off sales end of each season (Florida seasons?) that's sales season that's when I load up on shirts.

I get the 5 Iron shirts for about $15-$20 on sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrid: Ben Hogan VKTR 3 Hybrid(18*) w/Recoil ES Hybrid(75 GM) regular shaft Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).  Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

I get the 5 Iron shirts for about $15-$20 on sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get them around $25 on sale and have course logo. Logos got to be worth $10[emoji41][emoji106]

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

I like my TaylorMade products but honestly with the technology available today, nobody puts out a product that doesn't do what it's supposed to do.

• Like 1
What's in my bag...

Driver:      TaylorMade R15 10.5• Aldila Rouge Black 60g stiff shaft

3 Wood:   TaylorMade R15 15• Aldila Rouge Black 70g stiff shaft

Hybrid:     TaylorMade  Rescue 4-21• Aldila Rip 65g stiff shaft

Irons:        TaylorMade  RSi TP Nippon NS Pro 950, stiff shaft

Wedges:   TaylorMade  50•, 54•, 58• Nippon NS Pro stiff shaft

Putter:      TaylorMade Ghost 

Ball:          Wilson DUO U

Bag:         TaylorMade 

Taylormade, since the burner bubble days.

After a few weeks ago, Im going to be a fan for a long time. I had a set of 1.5yr old RS1i irons. I overheard a teaching pro telling a customer that there was a recall on defective face slots from RSi's to the new M2. I had a small chip on my 7 iron face slot but didnt think anything of it.

I decided to call TM on the advice of the pro at work and a week later, brand new set of M1's arrived at my house with the Golf Pride grips I picked, custom length and flattened 1 degree, just like my RSi1s. Best part, there was a postage paid label to send my old ones back.

You couldnt ask for better customer service. 

• Like 5

8hhf0J5.png

Taylormade, since the burner bubble days.

After a few weeks ago, Im going to be a fan for a long time. I had a set of 1.5yr old RS1i irons. I overheard a teaching pro telling a customer that there was a recall on defective face slots from RSi's to the new M2. I had a small chip on my 7 iron face slot but didnt think anything of it.

I decided to call TM on the advice of the pro at work and a week later, brand new set of M1's arrived at my house with the Golf Pride grips I picked, custom length and flattened 1 degree, just like my RSi1s. Best part, there was a postage paid label to send my old ones back.

You couldnt ask for better customer service.

That's Customer Service!!

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

For the most part yes, until I find something that I like better.

Used to play with Callaway drivers, tried my dad's R11 one day and went out and got the R11s and haven't looked back.  Been playing Mizuno irons for 17 or so years.  Used to play Titleist Pro V's until I got tired of the flyers and switched to Bridgestone.

Putters I guess I would not be so loyal, have had many different brands in search of magic  :D

• Like 2

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:odyssey-small: Sabertooth

I have always been a Nike fan, loved their bags and golf balls, always wear their shoes.  For anything else it is, at least for me, whatever is on sale  :lol:

• Like 4

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester 

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies 2 (15*) 

5-Wood:  :adams-small: Tight Lies 2 (19*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

• 1 month later...

I've never seen the point of brand loyality and I guess that comes from not having a favorite brand when I was younger, or the brands I liked dying out in the mainstream (Wilson to an extent, McGregor, Tommy Armour).

I get the mental effect it may have by having everything from one company and I think that's great if that helps you, but it just doesn't work for me. Whatever is best goes in the bag and that's the deal.

• Like 2

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 14*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:cobra-small: F9 Speedback, 17.5, Hzrdus Yellow 70-S

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

🤮⛳   Flo-C

:titelist-small: Pro V1X, 2021 Model, #33

I think I'm kind of a brand Ho. I like high quality at reasonable pricing and usually buy clothes when on sale. Love the 60% off at CC sales.

Clubs, no real loyalty. Whatever works for me is my new best friend.

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead