TESTERS WANTED! ×

Irons: TM Speedblade or TM M2?

Entiiced

Hi all. I'm new here. Largely drawn to the site due to the fact that this is one of the most truthful, "down-to-Earth" golfing forums I could find (I'm being forcibly humble here, it is easily the best).

Product reviews remind me somewhat of Top Gear, but without the cars, the same people, the studio, the guest sections and add golf. So it's not like Top Gear at all. Trust me, I know what I mean. Blunt, unbiased feedback.

Anywho, this brings me onto my question for the day. I am relatively new to the game, and I am 19 years old. I am also, like 98% of new golfers, now in the market for a set of game-improving irons. Looking to go even more mainstream than that, and grab myself something TaylorMade too.

Been looking at both the TM Speedblade, and the TM M2 irons. I am unsure as to which one I should purchase. Everything I can find on the Speedblade says they are very good, and everything I can find on the M2 says they are very good also. But, I'm not sure whether due to technological advancements, what is a "very good" club now, would have been a "stupidly incredible amazing" club if they'd been around at the same time as the Speedblade clubs.

So, I am curious if anyone has hit both and to let me know some key differences/recommendations, or if anybody has some key points in regards to these two irons also. Please keep money/cost out of the equation. Regardless of which I purchase, I'll be taking the same lessons at the same course with the same trainer. Just curious which clubs would carry more benefit for me.

Regards, and thanks for reading my novel,

Daniel.

Love the Top Gear referrence! Welcome to the forums!

I've hit both but didn't pay much attention to either as i wasn't going to buy either. The M2 was the one I preferred between the 2 bc of the black finish (makes the head appear smaller) and less offset (I may have had the M2 tour, can't remember).

Don't be afraid to get fit and try some other brands btw. Good luck!

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Love the Top Gear referrence! Welcome to the forums!

I've hit both but didn't pay much attention to either as i wasn't going to buy either. The M2 was the one I preferred between the 2 bc of the black finish (makes the head appear smaller) and less offset (I may have had the M2 tour, can't remember).

Don't be afraid to get fit and try some other brands btw. Good luck!

Thanks!

Yes, it is a fantastic show. Now we turn to The Grand Tour, which is also fantastic. "Make James May do Something that he Doesn't Want to do" has to be up there with the best section on any TV programme ever.

Thanks!

Yes, it is a fantastic show. Now we turn to The Grand Tour, which is also fantastic. "Make James May do Something that he Doesn't Want to do" has to be up there with the best section on any TV programme ever.

Agreed there my man!

One more thing.... Do you recall whether one hit further or more accurately than the other? And if so, by much?

I was on a launch monitor but don't remember which was longer. The M2 was straighter but I attribute that to the less offset and more appealing head.

I have hit both, played a round with the M2s. I liked the speed blades a little better just based on feel. The M2s felt hard to me but both launched great. The M2s are longer (at least in my experience) by a few yards. I don't think you could go wrong tbh. I assume the price point on the speed blades are probably better. Just my two-cents I hope it helps. Welcome to the forums!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

If Im not mistaken the Speed Blades are 1/2 inch longer than standard across the set and come with an A Wedge and no 3 iron. A guy I know found more distance in them for the extra length compared to his previous set, and the price point didnt break the bank.

He said he figured that if the he didnt like the extra 1/2 inch he could have them cut down. He was told he needed longer clubs by a pro, so he likes them the way they are so far.

Nothing will improve you game more than hitting a set of MB's, if you aren't a great ball striker you'll find out.

My GI irons were Game Ruiners. Had to alter swing to make them work for me. That's over in the "Offset vs No Offset thread" I made.

My best advice is if you have a swing and make solid contact why get Game Improvement irons?

Here is a different perspective.

Being your fairly new to the game, my recommendation would be to get the speedbladzes. It'll save some $$ & they're good clubs. I'd doubt you would notice a big difference and as your game improves then get a newer set.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Nothing will improve you game more than hitting a set of MB's, if you aren't a great ball striker you'll find out.

My GI irons were Game Ruiners. Had to alter swing to make them work for me. That's over in the "Offset vs No Offset thread" I made.

My best advice is if you have a swing and make solid contact why get Game Improvement irons?

There are plenty of great game improvement irons that offer little to no offset.

Care to explain how MB irons improve someone's game?

There are plenty of great game improvement irons that offer little to no offset.

Care to explain how MB irons improve someone's game?

Yeah. Just my opinion. Why handicap yourself from the get go? Lots of opinions on here and that was mine. So no actually I don't care to explain. And I did anyways in my post anyways, you'll find out if youre a good ball striker. No need to be a jerk about it.

Edit: For the Benefit of the young Sir here. To save you some money in the long run, instead of starting out with GI irons, IF you are good enough to play MB's or "Players CB" you'll get to know your clubs after playing with them. I'd give them a try at your local shop.

- Alan

Well I own and play Speedblades as my gamers.  Just went in for a full bag fitting and hit both the M1 and M2 irons.  For me there was no difference.  I actually hit the speedblades better.  But both are great heads and I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Here's my extra advice.  Go get fit for either one.  You don't have to purchase from the fitter, but a quality paid fitting will pay huge dividends.  You need to find the proper shaft, swing weight, length and lie.  A lot of those variables once found will translate from iron to iron.

So you may hit one iron and love it due to being a good fit for you.  Then hit another iron and think it sucks but in reality it just has the wrong shaft, or weight or lie angles.

So my advice, grab the speedblades and then get fit and have them tweaked for your swing.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Yeah. Just my opinion. Why handicap yourself from the get go? Lots of opinions on here and that was mine. So no actually I don't care to explain. And I did anyways in my post anyways, you'll find out if youre a good ball striker. No need to be a jerk about it.

Edit: For the Benefit of the young Sir here. To save you some money in the long run, instead of starting out with GI irons, IF you are good enough to play MB's or "Players CB" you'll get to know your clubs after playing with them. I'd give them a try at your local shop.

- Alan

I don't believe he was being a jerk or trying to be. No reason to be hostile. 

@jlukes The argument for blades making people improve is that they have to learn to hit the sweet spot and the added feedback of the mb will help you with that. It works for some and not for others. 

Definitely wasn't trying to be a jerk. I have just never heard that MBs make people better ball strikers.

If that's the case, someone should probably tell a bunch of touring pros that they'd be better if they weren't using Titleist AP2s and switched to MBs

And why are more players switching to higher moi putters? Shouldn't they all be gaming the Wilson staff 8802 putters?

Again. Just my opinion. If you can hit a blade you can hit anything. I'm not going to argue with you anymore, have a great day.

Yes I agree, but going to the range with a blade and trying to find the center over and over again isn't going to help 99% of amateurs.

I think telling someone to get a set of blades because it will make them a better golfer is terrible advice.

Blade vs SGI vs GI has been moved to its own thread. Back on topic here please. 

Boys - we're better than this. New

Member comes here with a real question looking for help and this is what we show him? Don't care who got offended first or who said what -- Rule #1 here is the same as it was in kindergarten - play nice. Love having you both here on the forum and don't want anyone to leave - but we ARE better than this.

It's okay to disagree but we are not congress - we can disagree respectfully.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I had a set of Speedblades and absolutely loved them. Haven't hit the M2s but I know you won't be disappointed with Speedblades. Like always, it's always good to get fitted but I enjoyed the Speedblades a lot.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

• 2 weeks later...

You can get the Speedblades for a great deal right now - full sets under $300.

Here's another option you may want to consider.

The TM RSi's and PSi's added the slots in the face that help with mishits.  To be fair, the M2's have them too...

If you're a new golfer, you'd probably benefit from that technology.

Having said that, the RSi2's are a little older, yet still have that technology.

You can find a deal for them on eBay pretty reasonable price (just saw some for $250 + $30 shipping).

There are a lot of good choices out there, it would do you some benefit to get fit for the right shaft (regular, stiff, etc) and lie (up/down).  If you don't want to go to a store and do it - there are a few places you can do it on-line.  Not as beneficial, but certainly insightful - especially considering you swing is likely to change as you gain experience.  Check out:

https://www.taylormadegolfpreowned.com/custom/clubfitting.aspx

http://www.wilson.com/en-us/golf/get-fit

https://www.golfworks.com/online-custom-club-fitting/a/484/

There are plenty of others, you can google to find one you like - or to validate one site against another.

Good luck!

-- P.J.

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.759aae909d1e285c243d16aec01bb7c2.png ELIXR
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if you ended up buying your set already, but getting fitted is always a good idea.

That being said I have used both and definitely preferred the speedblades to the m2 Irons. The speedblades were a rental set at a resort I went to and I felt instantly comfortable with them and really enjoyed hitting them.

The m2 I used was on a launch monitor at a store and it just didn't work as well for me. I'm sure it's a great club, but it didn't get along with me.

Hope you find the set that works for you!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I have hit both. And I did prefer the M2. For many of the same reasons other people have stated. As well the black finish does make them look smaller and yet you get all the benefits of the wider body for forgiveness 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Just purely from a standpoint of visual aesthetics, I think the M2s are a clear winner.  The black, as jayjay said, makes them look smaller and it looks sharper in my opinion.  I have hit both clubs and I prefer the M2s over the speedblades.  I am big on how they visually look, as most golfers are.... How does it look?  Do I like looking at it?  The M2s won in this category for me. 

Driver: :nike-small: Nike Vapor Speed (10.5 degrees, Stiff)
Hybrid: :titelist-small: Titleist 915H 3h (stiff)
Irons: :nike-small: Nike Vapor Fly Pro (4-AW, stiff +.5 inch long)
Wedges: :nike-small: Nike Engage (52, 56, 60)
Putter: :seemore-small: SeeMore FGP Mallet
Ball: Vice Pro Soft

Bag: Puma Cart Bag

Shoes: :footjoy-small: FootJoy Hyperflex BOA

Dexterity: Right Handed

Handicap: 14

I would go for the speed blades.

Cheaper price and better clubs imho. I had a set of rsi 1's with the face slots and the face caved in on one of the irons. I think the speed slots work great but was a bad idea on the faces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Here is a different perspective.

Being your fairly new to the game, my recommendation would be to get the speedbladzes. It'll save some $$ & they're good clubs. I'd doubt you would notice a big difference and as your game improves then get a newer set.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

This is great advice!! I've played blades, MB and cavity backs....the Speedblades will definitely be a better fit for a beginner and they will grow with you for a long time.

As you can see from my WITB I'm still playing a set now.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

This is great advice!! I've played blades, MB and cavity backs....the Speedblades will definitely be a better fit for a beginner and they will grow with you for a long time.

As you can see from my WITB I'm still playing a set now.

I put mine back in the bag last week, enjoy playing them again.

With that said, its fun to switch back and forth with my Wishons

• 10 months later...

Try them both out. Preferably in a launch monitor but also see if they have a demo club of each to go to the range and try. Try 'bind' testing them to see which one feels/looks better without knowing which club it was. I did that with a few brands and ended up with the TM irons i have now (rocketbladz tour)

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

I have Speedblades and I like them a lot. I wanted the face slots of the rsi, but they were $700 at the time, and later I've also heard that they have some kind of defect from being weak. If you get the Speedblade, I suggest you get the set without the jetspeed hybrids. I ditched those hybrids and wish I would've taken the set with the AW and 4 iron instead.