Entiiced

Irons: TM Speedblade or TM M2?

Hi all. I'm new here. Largely drawn to the site due to the fact that this is one of the most truthful, "down-to-Earth" golfing forums I could find (I'm being forcibly humble here, it is easily the best).

Product reviews remind me somewhat of Top Gear, but without the cars, the same people, the studio, the guest sections and add golf. So it's not like Top Gear at all. Trust me, I know what I mean. Blunt, unbiased feedback.

Anywho, this brings me onto my question for the day. I am relatively new to the game, and I am 19 years old. I am also, like 98% of new golfers, now in the market for a set of game-improving irons. Looking to go even more mainstream than that, and grab myself something TaylorMade too.

Been looking at both the TM Speedblade, and the TM M2 irons. I am unsure as to which one I should purchase. Everything I can find on the Speedblade says they are very good, and everything I can find on the M2 says they are very good also. But, I'm not sure whether due to technological advancements, what is a "very good" club now, would have been a "stupidly incredible amazing" club if they'd been around at the same time as the Speedblade clubs.

So, I am curious if anyone has hit both and to let me know some key differences/recommendations, or if anybody has some key points in regards to these two irons also. Please keep money/cost out of the equation. Regardless of which I purchase, I'll be taking the same lessons at the same course with the same trainer. Just curious which clubs would carry more benefit for me.

Regards, and thanks for reading my novel,

Daniel.

• Like 1

Love the Top Gear referrence! Welcome to the forums!

I've hit both but didn't pay much attention to either as i wasn't going to buy either. The M2 was the one I preferred between the 2 bc of the black finish (makes the head appear smaller) and less offset (I may have had the M2 tour, can't remember).

Don't be afraid to get fit and try some other brands btw. Good luck!

• Like 1

Love the Top Gear referrence! Welcome to the forums!

I've hit both but didn't pay much attention to either as i wasn't going to buy either. The M2 was the one I preferred between the 2 bc of the black finish (makes the head appear smaller) and less offset (I may have had the M2 tour, can't remember).

Don't be afraid to get fit and try some other brands btw. Good luck!

Thanks!

Yes, it is a fantastic show. Now we turn to The Grand Tour, which is also fantastic. "Make James May do Something that he Doesn't Want to do" has to be up there with the best section on any TV programme ever.

• Like 1

Thanks!

Yes, it is a fantastic show. Now we turn to The Grand Tour, which is also fantastic. "Make James May do Something that he Doesn't Want to do" has to be up there with the best section on any TV programme ever.

Agreed there my man!

Agreed there my man!

One more thing.... Do you recall whether one hit further or more accurately than the other? And if so, by much?

One more thing.... Do you recall whether one hit further or more accurately than the other? And if so, by much?

I was on a launch monitor but don't remember which was longer. The M2 was straighter but I attribute that to the less offset and more appealing head.

I have hit both, played a round with the M2s. I liked the speed blades a little better just based on feel. The M2s felt hard to me but both launched great. The M2s are longer (at least in my experience) by a few yards. I don't think you could go wrong tbh. I assume the price point on the speed blades are probably better. Just my two-cents I hope it helps. Welcome to the forums!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

If Im not mistaken the Speed Blades are 1/2 inch longer than standard across the set and come with an A Wedge and no 3 iron. A guy I know found more distance in them for the extra length compared to his previous set, and the price point didnt break the bank.

He said he figured that if the he didnt like the extra 1/2 inch he could have them cut down. He was told he needed longer clubs by a pro, so he likes them the way they are so far.

• Like 1

What is your game like. Are you a good iron striker?

The 2016 M2 Tour irons would be my pick based on looks and performance

Nothing will improve you game more than hitting a set of MB's, if you aren't a great ball striker you'll find out.

My GI irons were Game Ruiners. Had to alter swing to make them work for me. That's over in the "Offset vs No Offset thread" I made.

My best advice is if you have a swing and make solid contact why get Game Improvement irons?

Here is a different perspective.

Being your fairly new to the game, my recommendation would be to get the speedbladzes. It'll save some $$ & they're good clubs. I'd doubt you would notice a big difference and as your game improves then get a newer set.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Nothing will improve you game more than hitting a set of MB's, if you aren't a great ball striker you'll find out.

My GI irons were Game Ruiners. Had to alter swing to make them work for me. That's over in the "Offset vs No Offset thread" I made.

My best advice is if you have a swing and make solid contact why get Game Improvement irons?

There are plenty of great game improvement irons that offer little to no offset.

Care to explain how MB irons improve someone's game?

There are plenty of great game improvement irons that offer little to no offset.

Care to explain how MB irons improve someone's game?

Yeah. Just my opinion. Why handicap yourself from the get go? Lots of opinions on here and that was mine. So no actually I don't care to explain. And I did anyways in my post anyways, you'll find out if youre a good ball striker. No need to be a jerk about it.

Edit: For the Benefit of the young Sir here. To save you some money in the long run, instead of starting out with GI irons, IF you are good enough to play MB's or "Players CB" you'll get to know your clubs after playing with them. I'd give them a try at your local shop.

- Alan

Well I own and play Speedblades as my gamers.  Just went in for a full bag fitting and hit both the M1 and M2 irons.  For me there was no difference.  I actually hit the speedblades better.  But both are great heads and I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Here's my extra advice.  Go get fit for either one.  You don't have to purchase from the fitter, but a quality paid fitting will pay huge dividends.  You need to find the proper shaft, swing weight, length and lie.  A lot of those variables once found will translate from iron to iron.

So you may hit one iron and love it due to being a good fit for you.  Then hit another iron and think it sucks but in reality it just has the wrong shaft, or weight or lie angles.

So my advice, grab the speedblades and then get fit and have them tweaked for your swing.

• Like 2

Yeah. Just my opinion. Why handicap yourself from the get go? Lots of opinions on here and that was mine. So no actually I don't care to explain. And I did anyways in my post anyways, you'll find out if youre a good ball striker. No need to be a jerk about it.

Edit: For the Benefit of the young Sir here. To save you some money in the long run, instead of starting out with GI irons, IF you are good enough to play MB's or "Players CB" you'll get to know your clubs after playing with them. I'd give them a try at your local shop.

- Alan

I don't believe he was being a jerk or trying to be. No reason to be hostile. 

@jlukes The argument for blades making people improve is that they have to learn to hit the sweet spot and the added feedback of the mb will help you with that. It works for some and not for others. 

• Like 1

Definitely wasn't trying to be a jerk. I have just never heard that MBs make people better ball strikers.

If that's the case, someone should probably tell a bunch of touring pros that they'd be better if they weren't using Titleist AP2s and switched to MBs

And why are more players switching to higher moi putters? Shouldn't they all be gaming the Wilson staff 8802 putters?

Again. Just my opinion. If you can hit a blade you can hit anything. I'm not going to argue with you anymore, have a great day.

• Like 1

Again. Just my opinion. If you can hit a blade you can hit anything. I'm not going to argue with you anymore, have a great day.

Yes I agree, but going to the range with a blade and trying to find the center over and over again isn't going to help 99% of amateurs.

I think telling someone to get a set of blades because it will make them a better golfer is terrible advice.

• Like 2

Boys - we're better than this. New

Member comes here with a real question looking for help and this is what we show him? Don't care who got offended first or who said what -- Rule #1 here is the same as it was in kindergarten - play nice. Love having you both here on the forum and don't want anyone to leave - but we ARE better than this.

It's okay to disagree but we are not congress - we can disagree respectfully.

• Like 4