TESTERS WANTED! ×

Newbie/High Cap - Start with blades or SGI/GI?

hckymeyer

Anyone at a shop with a full line up on the shelf and access to a launch monitor and a beginner?

Like say:

1. Cobra MB

2. Cobra CB

3. Cobra Forged Tec

4. Cobra F7

5. Cobra King OS

Or another brand that covers that many types of SGI/GI/CB/MB...

And match the closest loft not the number on the bottom. Head to head.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Full line of Pings too if you find cobras aren't available.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just learning how to reply on this forum, so forgive me:

I am one of the resident newbie/high handicappers--played a couple of summers of golf 12-13 years ago, and averaged maybe 1 round a year there after until this year. The golf bug bit and I have jumped in headfirst.

The iron dilemma has been one that has plagued me on which direction to go. I am playing an old Snake Eyes half set and have needed an upgrade desperately, though, I am beginning to hit them better than I ever have. I was leaning on the Ping wagon, but patience ran thin as did the high Toyota like resell value of used Ping irons.

Nike going out of business left me with a few interesting options (Vapor Pro Combo or Vapor Speed); as has a great offer on Cobra Fly-Z irons (#2 in 2015 GI most wanted). I have been leaning towards the Pro Combo option because the most closely resemble the size of my current sticks, as well as not having the "crutch" of forgiveness offered by the Vapor Speed and Cobra irons. I think that learning on a less forgiving set would be more beneficial in the long run. However, a couple of recent subpar ball striking days is pushing me towards the game improvement aisle.

The spring has been a blessing and I have been able to play 9-27 holes/week and I generally get a little bit of time in to send 100 or more practice balls down range during the week (great stress relief). What do y'all think, GI or pro combo?

Reply:

I rustled around a 16 handicap for a year or so with a set of Mizuno JPX EZ forged. I liked the clubs, still have them. I decided I needed something a little more forgiving to make the game more enjoyable. About a year ago a got fitted for Ping's and went with the "G" 4-Lob wedge. Best decision I ever made with clubs. The G in my opinion is a great GI club. Easy to hit, and has great feel for a GI. Im down to a 10 handicap and dropping. Just switched out the G sand and lob wedge to the Ping Glide 2.0's. It took a while to be confident enough to switch. It seems the natural progression as you get better and more confident to go with more of a players club. Im looking at the Ping i's or the i200's now. The thing with GI's is that the face is usually "hot" and you get a wider dispersion rate but also gain distance. Players clubs will probably be a tighter dispersion but would probably lose a little distance, but require a more consistent swing.

I'm sold on Ping's now because of my experience with the "G's" I would suggest trying G's, or maybe the G Max which is a little more forgiving than the G. You won't regret it.

Hope this helps!

I started playing about 4 years ago and had a hand me down set of Dunlop or something similarly cheap from the early 90's. I found the game very difficult and frustrating. I started looking around in second hand stores and stumbled upon a ping rapture 7 iron. I picked it up and said "wow" immediately and knew I could whack a ball with this club. I also found a tour edge 3 iron wood and started hitting that off the tee. All my second shots were with that ping 7 iron either closing or opening the face. I bought the set and my handicap went from probably 30 to now about 16 and dropping. I have now purchased bob vokey titlist wedges and love them. I have so much better control with them. The rapture set now feels like huge heavy chunks of iron. I still hit them well but the lack of control is starting to nag at me. I am leaning towards buying the i-200 set 3 to pw. Starting out Gi or Sgi was good for me as I got some nice hits and didn't lose patience but I am now growing as a player and see that better control will mean lower scores for me. It has taken time and practice to improve

I can speak to this a bit from personal experience. I started playing a super game improvement iron set and was really loving the game, as I was being successful. I got cocky when I started seeing my score drop and thought I was getting good enough for a new set of irons. I got a set of blades and couldn't hit them...didn't enjoy the game as much. After another set of irons I finally settled on a game improvement iron, kind of middle of the pack. I am learning to strike the ball better and I have some forgiveness, but also workability. I am playing these irons pretty well now...but I would be lying if I said I don't think about re-purchasing that first set of SGI irons. They were just so easy to hit!

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Started with Titleist dci oversize irons then bought Titleist 735cms. The dcis helped me enjoy the game, but then I wanted more!

The mp 5s I have now I love! If I hit a poor shot no iron will help my wild misses. Rather be 60-70yds short than the the full distance but way of course. My strikes across the face are pretty consistent at this point so blades it is!

I'd say strike across the face should be the guide and what your intentions are when on the course; should dictate your decision. Sorry if this has already been said.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Archived