Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Not one golfer today has any personality.......... boring stoics

jkittlesen

I understand to win, one must keep a calm demeanor, or so it seems.

I miss the John Daly........drama............

Not the Bubba or Ian douchebags.

More the Lee Trevino kind of golfer.

Is anyone else bored by the golfing robot of today?

:callaway-small: Rouge Draw 13.5 Lite Flex
:titelist-small: 913H 24 degree Diamana Lite Flex
:adams-small:  Idea Pro a12 20 degree Aldila VS Proto Regular Flex
:mizuno-small:   MP 100 4 - PW Stiff DGS 300
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2  TG 52/10, RG 56/10 and TG 60/10
:cameron-small: 2014 Select Newport 2  33 "

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand to win, one must keep a calm demeanor, or so it seems.

I miss the John Daly........drama............

Not the Bubba or Ian douchebags.

More the Lee Trevino kind of golfer.

Is anyone else bored by the golfing robot of today?

Follow Kelly Craft, John Peterson and Grayson Murray on social media. You may not agree or like their politics but they aren't afraid to speak their minds lol.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I tend to observe athletic competition for the display of skill. In golf competitions, remaining calm and focused for 5+ hours under inconceivable stress is a skill, albeit not the most overtly entertaining.

These days most athletes have social media accounts to address background/personality/personal predilections.

Players encompassing an era from Palmer to early-Daly had much greater latitude to express their true personality without fear of reprisal via sponsor contract dissolution that today's players face. I may get hammered...but for some perspective, there is a decades old quote about TW that goes "Tiger may break Jack's record but he'll never break Arnie's". On its face it would seem like an odd claim as Jack has a far better career major record. In reality, the quote is in reference to the prowess Arnie showed with the ladies early on in his career, bagging multiple babes every night. Absent 24 hour sports news services there was simply no place for comment re: Arnie's off course pursuits. Modern players know they are always under the micro$cope and behave accordingly. In my opinion, the real blame for ubiquitously bland golf personalities lies squarely with the public and our incessant demands for private insight.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

In today's world athletes are damned if they do and damned if they don't

Speak their mind? Then the offend someone and become part of the 24 hour news cycle

Be politically correct? Dubbed "robotic" or "not genuine"

Say nothing? Labeled boring

These guys are their own enterprise.  Everything the say and do directly leads to how much money they make through sponsors.  It is hard to blame guys for not wanting to say or do anything that would scare sponsors away.

I tend to observe athletic competition for the display of skill. In golf competitions, remaining calm and focused for 5+ hours under inconceivable stress is a skill, albeit not the most overtly entertaining.

These days most athletes have social media accounts to address background/personality/personal predilections.

Players encompassing an era from Palmer to early-Daly had much greater latitude to express their true personality without fear of reprisal via sponsor contract dissolution that today's players face. I may get hammered...but for some perspective, there is a decades old quote about TW that goes "Tiger may break Jack's record but he'll never break Arnie's". On its face it would seem like an odd claim as Jack has a far better career major record. In reality, the quote is in reference to the prowess Arnie showed with the ladies early on in his career, bagging multiple babes every night. Absent 24 hour sports news services there was simply no place for comment re: Arnie's off course pursuits. Modern players know they are always under the micro$cope and behave accordingly. In my opinion, the real blame for ubiquitously bland golf personalities lies squarely with the public and our incessant demands for private insight.

Well said sir............I will now STFU

I wonder how Arnold Palmer would have been perceived if he was a pro in the modern era.  He was quite the ladies man.  Was always with different women, even when married to his first wife.  Tom Callahan, the famous sports author who recently penned "Arnie" has covered as much in the book and through radio interviews discuss Arnold and his life.

Damn it I do not like this new America, have we lost individuality ?

Or our privacy

But we do have Wes Bryan

You are 110% correct and the same thing has happened in NASCAR

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

When I think of professional golf personality takes a back seat to skill.  Don't get me wrong...I can dislike a player for things they've said, or the cold attitude toward competitors cough...cough Rory. But personality is in the eye of the beholder.  For me Chi-Chi was the embodiment of personality on the course.  When he was excited, you were excited.  I liked watching Daly play, but when I think of him I think long drive, U.S. open in 95', and PGA championship in 91'.  Beyond that its off the course stuff that really isn't that positive.  Tiger is a more interesting example.  He did things on the course that could only be compared to things Jordan did on the court.  It was exciting.  But when things didn't go well he would throw a fit like a toddler denied a chocolate bar.  I don't like that.  At the end of the day the guys who lose as well as they win impress me plenty.  I don't need a showboat, or an image conscious player to win me over.  To me golf is a gentleman's game.  And should be played by gentlemen. 

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

When I think of professional golf personality takes a back seat to skill.  Don't get me wrong...I can dislike a player for things they've said, or the cold attitude toward competitors cough...cough Rory. But personality is in the eye of the beholder.  For me Chi-Chi was the embodiment of personality on the course.  When he was excited, you were excited.  I liked watching Daly play, but when I think of him I think long drive, U.S. open in 95', and PGA championship in 91'.  Beyond that its off the course stuff that really isn't that positive.  Tiger is a more interesting example.  He did things on the course that could only be compared to things Jordan did on the court.  It was exciting.  But when things didn't go well he would throw a fit like a toddler denied a chocolate bar.  I don't like that.  At the end of the day the guys who lose as well as they win impress me plenty.  I don't need a showboat, or an image conscious player to win me over.  To me golf is a gentleman's game.  And should be played by gentlemen. 

Great post! Having said that...... John Daly is my boy!  B)

Well said sir............I will now STFU

Please don't do that on my account pards.

I think your premise was both absolutely valid and a poignant topic of modern sport deserving of some time under sunlight...the best disinfectant.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

First - Completely agree with Highfade....BEEF!!

Second - Like Downlowkey mentioned, in today's world we have a ton of opportunities to see a golfers personality through social media.  Take a guy like Bowditch.  He's playing so terrible right now he wouldn't win a club championship 2nd flight.  He hasn't been on TV in ages, let along actually played a weekend.  But if you follow the guy on twitter he's freaking hilarious.  Just from his personality and tweets he's one of my new favorite golfers.  I'm pulling for him based purely on his personality.

Third - Did you watch the Ryder Cup this year?  Holy crap was it full of exactly what you say is missing.  I think today's players are just a little more careful expressing themselves on the course, but they still pick and choose when to let the emotion flow.  

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

First - Completely agree with Highfade....BEEF!!

Second - Like Downlowkey mentioned, in today's world we have a ton of opportunities to see a golfers personality through social media.  Take a guy like Bowditch.  He's playing so terrible right now he wouldn't win a club championship 2nd flight.  He hasn't been on TV in ages, let along actually played a weekend.  But if you follow the guy on twitter he's freaking hilarious.  Just from his personality and tweets he's one of my new favorite golfers.  I'm pulling for him based purely on his personality.

Third - Did you watch the Ryder Cup this year?  Holy crap was it full of exactly what you say is missing.  I think today's players are just a little more careful expressing themselves on the course, but they still pick and choose when to let the emotion flow.  

I'm a big fan of Bowdo's twitter as well. Love that guy despite all of his problems!

Well, he's not exactly at the top of the game right now but I can tell you this, Ernie Els is a real fun guy to be around!

About 15 years ago (maybe a little longer), I was living and working in Vail, Colorado for their parks department. The head of the operation was a South African by the name of Piet who was best buddies with Ernie. I witnessed Ernie Els in all his vacation glory. The man likes to have fun.

The first time I met Ernie, he pulled up to the club house in an old VW bus, the door slid open and out fell about 50 beer cans followed by the big easy who apparently was living in the van and had not changed clothes or showered in a few days. We went out to play in two foursomes with carts. Ernie played in cut off jean shorts, flip flops and drank at least one beer per hole. Coming in, we had a foursome behind us grow irritated with our slow pace of play. I do not remember the exact circumstances but Ernie ended up playing the pissed off guy from the group behind us heads up for a considerable amount of money. Ernie won. Ernie was incredibly nice and incredibly drunk every time I met him. Not a pretentious bone in his body and I truly believe, if it were possible, he would have played the majority of his golf in cut offs, flip flops and three sheets o the wind.

I have another Ernie story involving a snow mobile, I'll save it for another day...

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Bravo for that story ^ sir.

giphy.gif

I wonder how Arnold Palmer would have been perceived if he was a pro in the modern era.  He was quite the ladies man.  Was always with different women, even when married to his first wife.  Tom Callahan, the famous sports author who recently penned "Arnie" has covered as much in the book and through radio interviews discuss Arnold and his life.

I have wondered this too. If the original Nest, an old watering hole between Palm Springs and Rancho MIrage, that was torn down in the middle 2000's, could tell stories Arnie would of had a lot splainin to do. Winnie seems not to uncommon where $$$ lifestyle and golf is involved, I have seen. To many stories to even bother with.

I dont blame any of todays players for minding their own business on or off the course to avoid the social media nonsnese. As had been said to many dollars involved to let click bait determine that.

I personally like to play a round with people that actually talk to you during the round and not so much focused on their round, it is a game after all.  Some people I get paired up with need to loosen up and relax.....have fun. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I like to see the fire that pros get when that one birdie or par save gets them going. I also like the sportsmanship that shows... Like Rose and Garcia had at the Masters coming down the stretch, each congratulating the other when great shots were made. I do miss the emotions Tiger displayed on the course the electrified the spectators on the phenomenal shots he made. These pros are so good that it does become robotic at times.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Murray is a great follow on twitter. He calls out trolls and speaks his mind. He usually goes off once a week on something that would be considered controversial.

Notably lately have been his comments on the OWGR catering to European and Asian tour players and something about he hates foreigners who come to the USA and take college scholarships from American student athletes

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I always liked Ernie...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

to be fair with the money involved it's easy to see why players aren't prone to being fun or that charismatic even.

That said some players are perceived

Spieth - is boring and slow

Rory - aloof

Etc etc

But was it ever really different?

Yes we had people like John Daly, but what about woods and Faldo? Amazing, exciting players - but wow hard to love those personalities. Maybe, cold hard bastards win more?

Is part of the issue, the traditional nature of the PGA tour? Once a season it gets a bit crazy with the football style crowd lining a par 3 - why not more often? Give the players a chance to show their personality, bet many of them are a lot more fun than we see now.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Did I say I'm a huge Boo Weekly fan and he's pretty cool too

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I think part of the problem is, guys like Speith think us older crowd is weird for wanting his autograph or a picture. Arnie, Jack and the Men of golf woulda stopped and given you a handshake you'll never forget and say thanks. Not ew, an old guy.

I know a good memory in a child is priceless, but there are older fans too which are forgotten about with the "kids" of golf.

If someone had a different experience please share!

It's not really ew an old guy. The athletes are sick of grown men shoving kids out of the way to get autographs, only to put the signed item's on ebay

Yeah, there are those jackasses. But what about the genuine fan? A few jerks ruin it for us all.

And would they give the genuine fan a chance?

- Al

Yeah, there are those jackasses. But what about the genuine fan? A few jerks ruin it for us all.

And would they give the genuine fan a chance?

- Al

Problem is they can't distinguish between the two.  So yes, a bunch of jerks ruin it for the rest of us

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/jordan-spieth-torches-adult-autograph-seekers-at-pebble-beach-over-profanity/

Archived