TESTERS WANTED! ×

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - VICE PRO SOFT GOLF BALLS

JBones

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stage One - The Questions......

Image1492600745.376490.jpg

● What's your story? I am 66 years old, with a 17 – 19 Handicap, play golf every week and have been playing since I was 8 years old. In 1959, the City of Frankfort, Kentucky opened a new city park called Juniper Hills. Located just west of the city, Juniper Hills included a Par 72, 18 Hole rolling terrain golf course. My Grandfather and his buddies joined the club and began playing every week. I was only 8 yrs old, but my Grandfather decided I was old enough to be his caddy. So I began my golfing career pulling a Bagboy cart filled with Powerbilt golf clubs up and down the rolling terrain of Juniper Hills. As a caddy, I learned the rules of golf and how the game was played. My first set of clubs were a hodgepodge set of old hickory shafted clubs. Leftovers from my Grandfathers old clubs. Ones that he took to Africa when he was building a sawmill to harvest mahogany wood to America for office furniture. They carved out some land in the jungle for a 9 hole course and played it for their recreation. Sadly, today I only have the putter left, so it hangs on the wall above my desk at home. I progressed from the hickory clubs to used Powerbilts that were my Grandfather's. At age 10, I got my first set of cleats(steel spikes of course). I felt like I was king of the world when I walked around the clubhouse area going clickety clack, clickety clack. I spent my summers at the club, caddying in the mornings then either hawking lost balls or playing in the hot Summer afternoons. I witnessed a Hole in one at age 13 when one of my friends aced the 140 yard Par 3 #6. When I moved to Florida in 1987, I was a 10 Handicap. Unfortunately, I was either working, or playing with my 4yr old daughter so I did not get much time to retain my handicap and watched it slip to an 18. Fast forward through the years to now, I have been playing with a 6” steel plate, 13 screws & an inch of my left hip bone in my left wrist (ice skating accident in 1998). Because of the injury, my handicap ballooned to the mid 20's for several years, so I moved to graphite irons to reduce as much vibration as possible. I was able to get my handicap back down to 13 for a few months in 2011, but that did not last. For the past several years, I have been bouncing between 17 and 19. My drives usually range from 195 to 225, with an occasional 230 and my 6i is my 150 yard club.

Image1492600604.721691.jpg

● What is in your bag?( University of Kentucky Team Effort Bucket Bag,Wilson Triton, Cobra F7 3W, Cobra F6 5W, Cobra Bio-Cell 2H, Cobra F6 4-SW irons with Matrix Red Tie regular shaft 2* Flat, EVNROLL E6 putter)

● How did you choose them?(I was intrigued by the Driver vs Driver show and really liked the ability to adjust the Driver. I acquired the Cobra F7 3W from ebay; I purchased the F6 4-5W new from Golfsmith. I purchased the Cobra Bio-Cell 2H fnew from Dick's. I was selected to review the Cobra F6 irons ands kept them in my bag. I was selected to review the EVNROLL putter and fell in love with it.)

● Strengths of your game?(Drive & Approach iron)

● Weakness of your game?(Chipping and Putting)

● Typical ball flight?(Medium Launch)

● Typical miss?(Right)

● Current Ball?(Snell MTB)

● Swing tempo?(Moderate)

● Driver swing speed?(85-90)

● What makes you love the game?(Memories of my Grandfather)

● What region do you play out of?(Southeast – Florida, for the past 30 years)

● Are you a tinkerer or a set and forget it type?(Definitely a Tinkerer)

Image1492600321.822450.jpg

Image1492600268.885990.jpg

Image1492600640.877549.jpg

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Stage Two - The Review:

When I started to review the Vice Pro Soft I decided to test it alongside a couple other balls in a Best Ball format. To do that, I selected the four balls(Vice Pro Soft, Titleist Pro V1, Callaway Chrome Soft & Snell MTB) then proceeded to play 9 holes. I hit the balls in a random sort off the Tee, then recorded the distance to the balls. Next, I then placed the balls at the spot of the best drive and hit my approach shots. I then measured the distance from the hole to each ball. I thought this would give me both longest drive and most accurate iron shots. Playing 9 holes in this format actually was like playing 36 holes! The average drive was as follows:

Vice Pro Soft…………...203.7 yards

Callaway Chrome Soft..187.3 yards

Titleist Pro V1……….…186.7 yards

Snell MTB……………...181.6 yards

The Longest Drive was the Vice Pro Soft with 232 yards.

As for Approach Accuracy, I measured the distance from the pin to the ball, totaling the yardage for all 9 holes……here are the results…

Vice Pro Soft…..62 yards, with 2 out of 9 shots off the green

Snell MTB……..68 yards, with 2 out of 9 shots off the green

Titleist Pro V1…119 yards, with 4 out of 9 shots off the green

Callaway Chrome Soft…134 yards, with 5 out of 9 shots off the green

To summarize, it appears the Vice Pro Soft is the real deal for someone with a slow to moderate swing speed. I got considerably more distance off the drive(6 shots with Wilson Triton driver and one with Cobra F6 4 iron). I also seemed to hit the greens better.(2 Par 3's and 7 approach shots) Now for the rest of the review…..

IMG_0535.JPG

Performance

Performance on the Course

Describe the following:

● Distance – As reported above, the VPS was the longest ball off the Tee.

● Consistency – The ball flight off the driver is mid launch.

● Feel –The VPS has a nice soft feel off the driver. The irons from the fairway and chipping around the green had a solid feel, but not “clicky”.

● Carry vs Roll – I got plenty of bounce and roll as we are experiencing drought-like conditions.

Course Score: (48 of 50 points)

IMG_0532.JPG

Performance Notes

Subjective

Looks & Durability

Describe the following:

● Unusual golf ball with matte white finish. This is the first matte finished golf ball worldwide. There are tiny silicate particles in the clear lacquer which provides a special adhesion to the green….they call it S2TG (Stick To The Green) Technology.

● Played several rounds and the matte finish looks fine with no burrs.

● The sightline is terrific! Very easy to line up your putt. This is called the KIL Putt Linie (Keep In Line).

● I had a difficult time cleaning the ball after marking on the green. The grass stain and dirt seemed to stick to the matte finish.

IMG_0127.JPG

Looks Score: (12 of 15 points)

IMG_0527.JPG

Sound and Feel

Describe how the product sounds and feels

● There is no real sound when striking the ball as compared to other comparative balls.

● I am used to playing low compression balls so the dull sound is normal to me.

Sound and Feel Score: (12 of 15 points)

Image1493302780.566793.jpg

Likelihood of Purchase

How likely would you be to purchase this accessory?

● These are the real deal, but I have way too many balls in my closet currently, so I will be ordering these as soon as I can get the inventory down.

● I do like the volume buying discount……1/$35, 3/$30 and 5/$25

LOP Score: (18 of 20 points)

Subjective Notes

Summarize your overall impressions.

IMG_0126.JPG

Conclusion & Final Score

It was fun trying to play 4 balls in a scramble format all by myself. However, I did get pretty tired on the last couple holes as it was like playing 36 holes in 2 hours and 15 minutes. I loved the challenge of trying to see which ball performed the best for me. And that is the new Vice Pro Soft. It was long off the Tee, accurate off the irons and putted very smooth.

Total Score: (90 points)

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Stage 3 Placeholder

vice1.jpegHandicap: 14.5 Strength: Iron distance Weakness: Pushes and Pulls Ball flight: Normal height, straight or slight draw. Typical miss: Pushed right. Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft Tempo: Fast Swing speed: 90 Started playing golf in my 20's with three friends, we played a round together every weekend in the summer at dawn. I played the game for three and a half years before I broke 100, shooting a 93 on a par 73 course. I have been playing the game for about 30 years. I play in every tournament I can get lined up during our short golf season here in Minnesota. Driver: Ping G 9° Reg flex 3 Wood: Ping Rapture 14° Hybrid: Ping G5 19° Irons: Taylormade Rsi2 4-Pw Wedges: Taylormade 52° Taylormade 56° Adams 60° Putter: Taylormade Spider I tinker with the game mostly during simulator golf season.

Sarge

VICE Pro Soft review
by Mike Specht

vice1.jpeg

The golf balls arrived on my doorstep a few days after I was notified that I had been chosen to do a review. I promptly opened the box and grabbed a sleeve of balls, I dumped one out into my hand and immediately thought I had received an unfinished product... The finish of the ball was flat matte white and I believed they had missed a step in the finishing process. Heading to the computer I pulled up the Vice website and here is what I found.

"Thanks to tiny silicate particles in the clear lacquer, the VICE PRO SOFT is the first matte finished cast urethane golf ball worldwide. The very thin coating and special adhesion to the green offers the player superbly smooth and on-demand feel of the ball and controllable, high degree of backspin thanks to the S2TG technology. UV-resistance has been maximized by the use of BJ13 coating. The matte finished coating provides an anti-glare effect while addressing the ball as well as better visibility in the sky and on the ground."

Ok, so the balls are made this way.

vice2.png.jpeg

v11.png

Mike Specht

Handicap 13-15

Swing Speed 85-90

Fiddle Stix.jpg

Step 1 of my testing was to grab a sleeve and head to the golf course. I switched between my game ball Callaway Chrome Soft and the Vice Pro Soft on alternating holes to get a basic feel of the product. Temperature was a little above 50 degrees with winds 10-15.

Step 2 I played two balls per hole to compare distance and playability. Temperature was in the upper 50's with winds 5-10.

Step 3 I spent several hours in the practice area hitting short and long pitches, chipping, sand shots and putting. Temperature was in the Mid 60's, wind 5-10.

2017-09-5--11-07-55.jpeg

v800.jpeg

Performance

Distance: Distance off of the driver was comparable to the Chrome Soft, I could not say that either ball was longer than the other however the slightly lower trajectory of the Pro Soft translated into more roll out. At the cooler temperature I was testing in I don't believe that either ball was compressing like they would have if it was 80 degrees outside. 

Consistency: The Pro Soft flight played well off of the driver, irons and putter. I did not have any issues during any of my testing.

Feel: The soft core and Urethane cover give this ball the feel of using the top of the line ball products. I was especially impressed with the feel off of my irons.

Carry vs Roll: The dimple pattern of the Pro Soft seemed to give me a slightly flatter trajectory than the Chrome Soft off of the driver which  translated into a few more yards of roll out.

Course Score: 42 of 50

​Performance Notes:

​

• Overall performance of the Pro Soft was comparable to any of the high end golf balls that I have used.
  • Spin off of my wedges was very good especially from the sand where it stopped shorter than any of the balls I used in my testing.
  • Compared to my current ball I feel the Pro Soft has exceptional spin off of my wedges.
  • The slightly lower trajectory gave me a longer roll out off of my driver which equated to a longer total drive distance than my current ball. 

Looks and Durability:

• ​The appearance of the ball is different than any other ball I have ever used, the matte finish took a little getting used to. The “Keep in Line” (KIL) putting line is bold and long for ball alignment when putting.
  • ​During my testing I had no durability issues and believe this product will last as long as any Urethane covered ball on the market.
  • ​The most unique feature of this ball is the matte finish which has tiny silicate particles in the clear finish. I believe this feature is what gives it the extra spin off of my wedges but also causes the ball to be hard to keep clean as it seems to become soiled on every iron and wedge shot.
  • ​Mind you the look is not bad just very different from current products on the market.

Looks Score: 8 of 15

​Sound and Feel:

• ​The Pro Soft ball sounds good coming off the driver and Irons.
  • ​I felt confident while using the Pro Soft and nothing about the sound or feel of the ball hindered that feeling.

​Sound and Feel Score: 11 of 15

​​Likelihood of Purchase:

• ​The VICE Pro Soft performed well throughout my testing, a positive towards purchasing.
  • ​The VICE business concept of bringing quality products to the consumer without costing a fortune is also a positive.
  • ​I struggle with the purchase of this product solely on the basis of the dull matte finish. The performance was there but keeping the ball clean was a never ending project.

LOP Score: 14 of 20

I found the performance of the Pro Soft to be very good off of all the clubs in my bag and have no complaints on any aspect of performance. The soft core seemed to be very compatible with my swing speed and the cast urethane cover responded to every good strike that I made. Distance seemed to be a little better than my current ball and I have no complaints of the sound and feel. Overall I enjoyed using the product and being the only one on the course using a ball that no one else had in their bag. The matte finish was the hot topic when I set it on the tee. Thank you Golf Spy for the opportunity to test this product.

v801.jpeg

Final Score 75 of 100

Sarge

Stage 1 Placeholder

First of all Thanks to MGS and Vice.

Box.Balls.jpg
http://www.vicegolf.com/us2/vice-golf-pro-soft-white
The Questions
● Handicap? (Or average score)Currently not keeping a Handicap as I have had so many injuries over the past few years every time I feel like I'm getting somewhere I'm back to the start. Currently I'm probably playing around a 24ish based on recent scoring.
● Strengths of your game? I would say the strength of my game is between 150 yards and into the green. Putting is not going to be included in this. While I think I'm ok on the greens not even going to pretend I'm good with the flat stick.
● Weakness of your game?
the Tee box, recently I'm either hitting it ok or hitting it in the woods. Mostly just in the woods.
● Typical ball flight? High mostly. When I'm hitting it good its a high Fade.
● Typical miss? Slice or more like 150 yards and a sharp right turn.
● Current Ball? Currently I've been playing Titleist ProV1x, Bridgestone B330rxs, and Callaway Hex control depending on the conditions. I prefer the B330rxs, but the ProV1x is very predictable which is nice and the Callaway's are for when I'm not swinging great since price wise they are the cheapest but they also perform the worst around the greens but not terrible.
● Swing tempo? When I'm hitting it good its slow back smooth forward. When I get out of Rhythm its more like fast back fast forward followed by me cursing.
● Driver swing speed? I haven't measured in a few years but I average around 95.
● Video of swing? “Pending weather TBD”
● What makes you love the game?The Peaks and the Valleys. I can play horrible for 17 holes but on 18 if I have a chance for birdie then it has been a good day.
● How long have you been golfing? Almost 10 years now since I really took up the game. If you count TW video games it has been longer.
● What kind of golfer are you? I am not a long ball hitter, so I have to manage the course and have a game plan. When I have a game plan and execute it I'm playing pretty well. When I start trying to hit it 5 yards further and fall away from it the end is near for my score.
● What's your story? My story is fairly boring. I played sports my entire life and was pretty good but never concentrated on one sport. Which in the end I think impacted me playing further than high school. I picked up golf after I got married because my in laws play every father's day an annual family tournament. Just for fun and bragging rights,oh and the loser has to tee off the next year in a skirt. That unfortunately will be me this upcoming year, Worst round I had played in a long time. Anyways I digress that started my itch for playing and if you asked my wife my addiction to the game and buying equipment.
● What is in your bag? my favorite part…..FYI I'm a “collector”
    Driver - Ping Anser 10.5* but set at 11*, 3W - the club I'm always changing, about to do my own little testing with the 4 that I own at the moment. Currently I game the Adams Speedline Super S 15*, I have a smattering of Hybrids thanks to my collector status but if I'm not testing I probably have my Cobra Bio Cell set to 19.5* and my Nike Covert 4 hybrid (24*) and sometimes I throw in my Ping Anser 17* depending on if I have a 3 wood that day, Irons - Nike Slingshot Tour I have 3-PW but I only play 5-PW because of my Hybrid addiction, Wedges - Nike Slingshot OSS gap wedge(50*) Callaway Mac Daddy 2 56* and Titleist Vokey 58* weird setup but it works for me, and Putter. - Odyssey Versa Jailbird This thing has taken probably 5 strokes off my rounds. Nothing like finding a putter you love.
● How did you choose them?Most of them was because of price. Money is king and I usually don't have much to spend thanks to bills and life. So I buy mostly used and try to get things when there are sales and they are a few years old. I may splurge here and there if timing is right but for the most part I'm a budget buyer.
● What region do you play out of? I'm in the Mid-West in the St. Louis area. So this time of year is about finding a chance to play in-between rain.
● Are you a tinkerer or a set and forget it type? I think it depends on what you consider a tinkerer. Once I find the best setting I mostly don't touch it. But I'll tinker a bit trying to find that right setting. Now for non-adjustable sometimes I go by the buy till you find what works.

So hopefully you guys can enjoy the rest of the reviews to come. First impressions have been good but I won't spoil anything yet.

Now a few pictures of what we are looking at!

Shipping Package.jpg

Unboxing.jpg

Box Reverse.jpg

Under the Lid.jpg

Stage 2 Placeholder

Vice Pro soft– Official MGS Forum Review by Kolby Walker

Player Intro. So in my Stage 1 you got to get a feel for me and my bag, know a little about myself and a bit about the balls I play. So for a more detailed sneak, here is a quick review about the 3 Golf Balls I play the most pre Vice Pro Soft:

Bridgestone B330RXs - my go to ball if I have some, They just seem to fly for me. They play well around the greens with a hop and stop when I strike it well, but usually limited roll out compared to other cheaper balls I have played (Nike Mojo, Wilson Zip, Noodle Long and Soft, Callaway Hex Control). Overall a solid ball that does what it is supposed to and gives me consistent yardages.

Titleist ProV1x - I mostly play these when I find them on the course(amazing how many you can find). The best part of these is I know exactly how they will respond. On the green either putting or chipping they respond how I would expect they don't fly off the face but also are not like some of the soft balls that are a bit bouncy. Overall if money wasn't an issue I would probably go back and forth between these and the B330RXs.

Callaway Hex Control - so I bought these on a whim because I payed $25 for a double dozen. Basically what I got was a great ball that fly well and handles itself well around the greens. It's the only non Urethane cover ball I've played in the last few years and it responds really well. In comparison to the other two I play these when my swing is out of whack or there is a ton of water and I don't want to lose a ball that costs almost as much as the entire package of the Hex Control.

Now onto the ball everyone wants to hear about. first of all I had heard of Vice and looked into Vice, but had not taken the plunge into ordering when this review came up. It is always exciting to test something you are already looking into….Thanks again MGS.

Performance

Describe the following:

● Distance – Does the ball provide adequate distance? The Vice Pro Soft distance wise competes with my current 3 balls. This is all eye test as I don't have a range finder or anything like that but I was getting more distance than the other “Soft Balls” I've played in the past as well(Supersoft and a variety of Wilson) I'm not talking 4 extra clubs but 5 yards maybe. Some of that is my swing some of that is striking etc., but overall I was pleased. Is it responsive off the tee? I would say it is responsive off the tee, If you hit a Wilson Zip lets say sometimes I feel like I'm hitting one of those mini marshmallows. I want to know if I've hit something not have to look at my club like I may have missed the ball. The Pro Soft gives me that feedback that I want, but gives me a softer than normal feel from say a ProV1. How does it compare to your gamer?

Compared to the B330RXs I love both in the distance department I think the Bridgestone flies a bit further but not much.

● Consistency – Is the ball flight consistent? My ball flight is high in general, so I hit the Pro Soft consistently high. That said it was repeatable, which is what I look for. I didn't have any random fliers that went 10 yards further or 5 yards shorter even though I centered all three. If you strike it you will get similar flight. Is it predictable and consistent while chipping and pitching? This was my favorite part of this ball, it responds so well of your short-mid irons. The wedge consistency was above average from every lie I hit it out of(Deep rough, short stuff, fringe, medium rough, etc.) only thing I didn't get to do was hit it out of the sand…..giving myself a high five on that.

● Feel – How does it feel off the driver and irons? Driver as I said before it isn't a marshmallow so you know you have hit it and it feels great. Not hard and not overly soft. Kind of like my B330RXs but without the click I hear when I hit it. More of a muted sound, which might not be everyone's cup of tea but I really enjoyed it. How does it feel and respond while putting? I didn't like putting this the first go around. The first thing I did after opening the box and taking pictures of everything was put a sleeve on my indoor putting mat. I think this is really where you can tell it is in the soft ball category. My ProV1x and B330RXs don't need as much help getting to the hole. Now every ball is different that is why we review stuff. For me it was a simple matter of hitting it more with the putter.The roll was very consistent and I didn't have any weird wobbles or anything like that. So in comparison I don't always putt the B330RXs great in fact I've noticed my strokes putting are actually up a few strokes compared to the ProV1x And Hex Control….in steps the Vice Pro Soft I rolled this thing great on course with great distance control and consistency all around.

● Carry vs Roll – Does the ball stay in the air forever and stop or do you hit low fliers that roll forever. Which is better for your course? Well thanks to my high ball flight I would say someplace in the middle. Traditionally my ball doesn't roll much unless I hit a lower flight on purpose. Missouri This time of year is wet so even with a low ball flight it doesn't have a ton of roll. Come summer I'll be able to test roll better. Most of my shots just stuck in the ground or kind of hit and slowed down. I prefer some roll but wasn't going to happen. I think this will roll a bit once everything dries out.

Course Score: 43 (Out of 50 points)

Performance Notes

● How did it perform? performed great especially on the greens and around the greens, 50 yards and in this thing is a killer.

● Were you pleased with how the accessory performed? Yep

● Please compare and contrast it to what you are currently playing? slightly different balls as this is “soft” golf ball vs a ball not necessarily considered in that “soft ball” category even though it is softer than others. So I got better results putting, chipping, and 100 yards and in. Driver was similar with the nod going to the B330RXs barely and irons and hybrids were similar so I'll call it a tie. But inside 100 yards is where I have to succeed to be good since I'm not a bomber. And Vice Pro Soft crushed my other balls.

● What factors were you pleased with? The specialized Urethane cover seemed to grip and stick better Helping me seeming chip and pitch better.

● How did it compare to your current accessory? Very comparable across the board even though slightly different products.

● Did it help you on the range or on the course more? Course

● Could you use it in both settings? yes as long as there is a short game area.

● What factors did you find lacking? I need to test more from the tee, I was hoping to be a bit longer but that could have also been the wet weather playing a part.

● What improvements would you like to see? I think it is a great product.

● What would you do away with? Well this is a personal preference I don't really use line up lines so I could do away with that but that's just me.

Subjective

Looks & Durability

Describe the following:

● Apprearance/graphics/packaging. So when I say Vice exudes aggressive play you just have to look at the packaging. So the front of the box is a Olive Green color and it looks classy with the Vice logo. Well turn it over and you have an Angry Jaguar staring you down from the jungle. If that doesn't shout be aggressive what does. Then you open up the box where the graphics continue and inside the sleeve is something odd….Matte finished Golf ball. Now there are not a ton of ways to make a golf ball look different. You can make it white Yellow Orange but white is white, or so I thought. A Matte White golf ball is just cool. A little weird at first to get used to because well it's different. but I really like it. The Line up line is different than most it has a special name and everything (KIL). I don't really use line up lines so didn't really catch my fancy but I'm sure some people will like it. I tried to use it a bit but once again lines don't really help me so it became more of a distraction of if I had it lined up right.

● Short term/long term durability. Short term durability is pretty good in terms of the ball doesn't get cuts in it or anything like that….unless you hit a roof, just fair warning….Now I think the least durable part of the ball would be the color. I found that grass stains dirt and other things would impact the brightness of the matte white finish. Now if you clean it real good it isn't terrible but I don't want to spend more time cleaning the ball than figuring out the line on my putt. Long term durability I had 3 balls I played with for an entire round. They all held up real well and like I said other than hitting a roof they held up great.

● Other unique details. just about everything about the aesthetics is unique. Bouncing off the actual balls I reviewed they also have a Red and Lime Green color you can choose from which look really cool online and I wish we could have got a sleeve of each of those as well.

● How does it compare to other balls, beyond being round and white? Like I said even though this ball is round and white it is just different than normal golf balls. And different in a good way I think.

Looks Score: 15 (Out of 15 points)

Sound and Feel

● Is it soft, crisp, dull, clunky (feel free to use your own imaginative phrases)? Hmmm I would say the sound of this when you hit it is somewhere between all the balls I like. It's soft but not too soft, you can feel it at impact but not like hitting rock balls, its not clicky like some balls get the sound I would go with is a soft thwip.

● Does it impact your performance in a noticeable way? I think it was pleasant so I would consider it a positive.

● How does the sound cause you to react? Sound helps feel so some of the sound is based on your clubs. That said the soft thwip when you center one is great.

Sound and Feel Score: 14 (Out of 15 points)

Likelihood of Purchase

How likely would you be to purchase this accessory? Now this may be my second issue with the ball besides the grass stains I have to rub off. I don't Buy more than a dozen or two at a time. And to really get your money's with you need to order 5 or 6 dozen. Now that said if you and some buddies split the cost or something I could see that being a better option. It is probably just me being someone who doesn't have the extra cash on hand. That said if I could swing the money at a given moment these would probably be my gamer. For the green side play alone it would be worth it.

● Why or why not?

Why-Green side play, consistent Why Not-Price when not buying more than a dozen

LOP Score: 14 (Out of 20 points)

Subjective Notes

Summarize your overall impressions.: This is a high end ball that can compete with the best if not be better. They have taken a unique spin on something that lets face it is round and white how do you do that different? Vice does and they do different better than the rest I have seen.

Conclusion & Final Score

I had a blast being able to review these Vice Pro Soft Balls. I'm hoping to hold on to the last few I have for a while if I can. When I first was chosen I was super pumped to get them and I reviewed what I could online. The pictures online truly do not do the Matte finish justice. It is the most unique golf ball I have ever had the opportunity to play. I think they play well for the mid level swing speed they are for. While the weather has played a role in distance I think once the rain subsides these will get a bit more distance than they have so far. I've already gotten tons of glances and questions about the matte finish. Here's to style and being different on the course!

Total Score: 86/100 (Add up all 5 categories and present a total score)

More Pictures to follow.

Stage One

Hello, I am Jackie an avid golfer from Minneapolis presently playing to a 5.2 HI. I have been playing golf for a very long time but was not that serious about how I played until the last 10 years or so. I play every weekend and love every minute of it.  Nothing beats getting outside, enjoy mother nature and shooting my lowest score ever.  ;) I am an EWGA member and play with the other women in the group on a regular basis in addition to competing in MWPGA and MGA events.

Good 3.jpg

The strength of my game has been my driving the past couple of years. 200 plus yards with a very high percentage of drives between the trees. I have learned to play “smart” golf as I age which has helped me lower my handicap a bit. My putting has been my biggest weakness but I have been working on it in addition to my short game 40 yards and in. Fixing these two are going to be a key to getting to that coveted 0.0 HI. I have also started working with a golf coach and fitness trainer to work on the mental and physical aspects of my game as I feel both of these are in need of attention and they will help me play solid

golf for years to come.

I tend to hit a medium height soft fade, which puts my usual miss to the right. Occasionally I will double cross myself and hit the big pull to the left- ouch! My swing tempo is probably what you would consider medium or average. Slowing down my back swing is key to hitting the ball consistently. My driver swing speed hovers around 90 MPH and being an AARP member, I don't believe it will be going up much. I am once again working on a stronger grip and drawing the ball more consistently but I have just been unable to master controlling it. I do love the extra 20 – 40 yards off the tee though.

If you haven't figured it out yet, yes I am a golf addict and proud of it. I played my first round here in tropical Minnesota in February and just snuck 18 in between thunderstorms last Sunday. Every round is different and if you put in the time golf is very rewarding. No, I am not talking about how much money you can take off your buddies on the weekend. I may have been talking about skins and day games! : )

The ball I play tournaments with, the Bridgestone B330RX and e6. I usually will use soft balls in the spring before it is 70 and in the fall after my tournaments are over and it has cooled down. This is why I was interested in trying out the Vice Pro Soft. I like the way the ball feels out of the box and it's matte white finish is appealing to the eye. I look forward to giving the Vice Pro Soft a thorough testing to see how it stands up to my favorite!

Sleeve and 3.jpg

What is in my bag you ask:

Driver - Cobra F6+ Stiff/Cobra BioCell Reg/Stiff 2 shafts adj loft

Cobra Fly-Z 4 Metal Stiff/ GX-7 X-Metal

Cobra Fly-Z 5 Metal Regular

Adams 4 Hybrid stiff

Mizuno JPX-850 Irons 5 - PW Graphite regular

Cleveland 588 RTX – 2 Black Steel Regular Flex 52, 56, 60 : two dot

Putter – A 34 “ Stainless Scotty Cameron Newport 2- 34” Wilson Infinite SouthSide

How did I choose my clubs, do you have a minute? I have an old white TaylorMadfe R-1 and I was looking to upgrade. My dad was in town and wanted to get a new putter on the way to the golf course so we stopped at my favorite now defunct GolfSmith and while he was trying out putters I was testing the SLDR. He was done so I started walking out and my dad asked where my new driver was. After explaining we had a tee time in an hour and it would take 30 minutes to get there he said if I picked it out in 15 minutes he was buying. Call me stupid, I looked at the wonderful sales person and asked if he could finish my fitting in 10 minutes and he said sure. I grabbed the SLDR and another salesman came up with the bio cell and said these were 200 Dollars cheaper and giving his customers better results. We tried it and once the stiff shaft was on it was the best. Dad paid for it and I was a very surprised owner of a new Red Cobra Bio Cell.

Vice 1 and driver.jpg

Fast forward a year and a half and the M-1's and F6's are out. The M-1 was struggling to keep up with the Bio Cell so I started with the Cobra F-6 etc and found the f-6+ gave me 10 more yards and this was all on the same simulator. So happy 50th Birthday to me and my sweetie bought me the pretty blue Cobra F6+. I love it so much I won't even use it until it is regularly in the 70's out. Fast forward to March and guess who is asking what I want for my Birthday. I have been to 49 states so I said either the GX-7 Hot Metal(kinda for him, he is battling stage 3 lung cancer) or a golf trip to Nebraska. Well the GX-7 is in my bag and I was surprised at how wonderful it is. Give me 30 or so yards and I can get it over just about any tree and it is giving me 200 yards with a regular shaft. I can hit it out of a fluffy lie in the rough and have had some success off the fairway with it. I wonder how long it will be until it's in Brett's bag.

I had a cobbled up set of fairway metals so I tried the Cobras and I like them, generally easy to hit with some nice pop.

The irons I picked out at 2nd swing after trying Ping G25's, Callaway and some others were my Mizunos and I love them! I use graphite shafts to protect my shoulders but I just bought these new steel shaft wedges because I felt I was losing too much accuracy. We shall see.

The putter is a quandary. I am usually good with a putter at a short distance or a long distance but not both. The two I am playing with now are my attempt to change that.

Stage Two

As it stands today, my tournament ball is the Bridgestone B330 RX and its backup is the e6.  Why, simply put they are the longest two balls that I have played with where I enjoy the flight and control of the ball.  The e6 is a bit longer but does not have the spin ability of the B330 RX.  I don't get as much backspin as I would like sometimes, that is what probably makes it easier for me to bounce back and forth between the two.  If you purchase ahead of time you usually can get a buy 3 get one free deal…

Performance on the Course:

range1_resized.png

The performance of the Vice Pro Soft is what you would expect from a soft ball.  It is much easier to get 7/8's of my distance but good luck getting that last eighth.  For me at 70 degrees this was 15 – 20 yards with my driver and about 10 yards with my irons.

Forgetting about distance, I love the way the ball comes off the club and it performed well in up to 30 MPH wind gusts (Welcome to Minnesota, the third windiest state in the Union.)  The Vice Pro Soft was very consistent in the way it reacted when I was chipping and pitching and it rolled very well when putting.

chip1_resized.png

I have a medium to high flight on my ball so I do get more carry than roll.  It is April here in Minnesota, so it is damp and the roll is minimum anyway.  The one thing I did notice with the matte finish on the Vice Pro Soft is they picked up a little more dirt than other shiny golf balls.  The dirt washed off at the next tee and all was fine, but it may make the ball harder to find when the grass is a bit taller if the ball is duller from mud.

For me the Vice Pro Soft will be a good low temp ball.  Being over 29 for a good 20 years or so now, I don't like to swing too hard when it is cold out.  I get stiff and don't want to pull any muscles etc.  I think a shiny finish would be good for when it is damp out otherwise a good ball that I can get some backspin on.

chipready_resized.png

Course score: 40

Looks and Durability:

The packaging for the Vice Pro Soft is different for sure, but that doesn't matter to me, I am buying what is on the inside.  The ball itself came in a matte white finish which I liked, but it did grab some mud on the hole dimming the color but otherwise didn't seem to affect performance unless it was a glob then that is out of the engineer's hands.  I like the matte finish in the sun, the less things glare the better in my book, hence the black wedges.

I found the Vice Pro Soft golf balls to be very durable.  I played 5 rounds with the same sleeve of balls and the two I did not lose (splash) are still in great shape!

Looks score: 15

Sound and Feel:

The Vice Pro Soft Golf balls had a nice soft feel off the club with a solid but muted sound.  I loved the feel and sound of the golf balls.  The Vice Pro Soft balls rolled beautifully off the putter whether I put a good stroke on it or not…

https://youtu.be/6qWj8t0MWDQ

Sound and Feel score: 15

Likelihood of Purchase:

The Vice Pro Soft Golf Balls will not replace my present tournament balls.  I just cannot give up the distance.  If I need balls for the spring or fall, I would not hesitate to buy these.  I knew this coming in and that is why they are getting the LOP score I am giving them.  They are the best soft golf ball I have used to date and the price is very reasonable for high performance golf balls.

Likelihood of Purchase Score:20

Subjective Notes:

The Vice Soft Pro golf Balls are a very high quality high performance golf ball.  They are durable and affordable, the more you buy the more you save, every golfers dream.  I was able to get 5 rounds in with a sleeve, just awesome!

Conclusion:

To conclude the Vice Pro Soft golf ball is a very good ball and will serve golfers with lower swing speeds or those of us who brave the elements as much as possible to extend our golf season.  Better yet, they come in some very neat colors though I only tested the matte white.

Colored Vice Pro Soft resized.png

Total Score: 90

Stage 1 Placeholder

●       Handicap? (Or average score)

●       Handicap 15

●       Strengths of your game?

●       I always be positive. My mid irons are oke.

●       Weakness of your game?

●       Don't hit the ball always in the center, so my ballstrike

doesn't always go in the right direction. I have to work on my short game, 10-60 meter shots.

●       Typical ball flight?

●       Low ball flight.

●       Typical miss?

●       Heel strike

●       Current Ball?

●       Pinnacle Lady

●       Swing tempo?

●       Moderate

●       Driver swing speed?

●       My driver swingspeed is about 78-83 mph

●       Video of swing?

●       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV-NEZXubcg

●       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvOsKQ8hZkQ

●       What makes you love the game?

●       I love golf, since my first step on the golf course and hitting my first golfball on the range. From that moment, golf went through my vines.

Golf is a ticket to freedom. Being outdoors in nature while practicing this sport makes your heart beat faster. The deer, rabbits and other animals see and hear give you a privileged feeling. Striving for perfection, but it's never perfect.

●       How long have you been golfing?

●       I was 20 years when I started with golf (2008), after a few years of chronical Lyme Disease. I played golf for 5 years whereafter the Lyme came back. For 4 years I had chronical Lyme Disease again and couldn't do anything. Since this year, 2017, my health is become much better, so I started again with golf. I love this sport, so I can't without it. My energy isn't already 100%, so I have to take it easy, but when I feel good, I play some golf!!

●       What kind of golfer are you?

●       I'm a very fanatic golfer. I always push myself to the limit. I'll become a better golfer. I want to become a single handicapper. As long as I'm not a single handicapper, I'm nog satisfied.

I'm so addicted to golf that I can't a day without golf. Though it isn't golf by myself, then it is read about it, watch movies and talk about it.

●       What's your story?

●       Been playing for about 5 years. Playing handicap 15. I'm very addicted to golf. In The Netherlands (Europe) there are less women's golfers, particularly of my age. I hope to inspire some girls/women's between 20 and 35 also to play this lovely sport. Ever since I start playing golf, the game has been running through my veins. I would like to bring my handicap down to a single handicap.

●       What is in your bag?

Driver:

King Cobra Speed LD Offset M12.0 – Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara Lite Flex shaft 12 degrees (2007)

Houten:

King Cobra Speed LD Offset 3 wood – Aldila HL65 Lite Flex shaft (2007)

Hybrides:

-

IJzers:

King Cobra FP 5-sw – Aldila HL65 Lite Flex shaft (2007)

Wedges:

-

Putter:

Odyssey White Hot XG Teron (2007)

Golfbal:

Pinnacle Lady

This year I want to buy new irons, hybrid, woods and a driver (fitted golf clubs,  now I play with a standard set of Cobra from 2007). This Cobra set is suitable for about handicap 18 or higher.

I also want to play with a fitted golfball, maybe this Vice Pro Soft is perfect for me.We'll see……

●       How did you choose them?

●       I purchased these clubs following the advice of a man in a golf shop.

●       What region do you play out of?

●       I play in my area in Northern of The Nerhetlands.

●       Are you a tinkerer or a set and forget it type?

●       I'm definitely a tinkerer golfer. 

20170407_161405.jpg

20170407_161451.jpg

20170407_161502.jpg

20170407_161535.jpg

20170407_161711.jpg

20170418_143217.jpg

20170418_143333.jpg

20170418_143404_001.jpg

20170418_143616.jpg

20170418_143958.jpg

20170418_144106.jpg

20170418_144211.jpg

20170418_144332.jpg

20170418_144430.jpg

20170418_144448.jpg

20170418_154139.jpg

20170418_154224.jpg

20170418_155040.jpg

20170418_155100.jpg

20170418_155209.jpg

20170418_155220.jpg

20170418_155237.jpg

20170418_155446.jpg

20170418_155521.jpg

IMG_20170413_084418_179.jpg

20170418_154506.jpg

Driver  :callaway-small: Epic Flash 10,5* Project X Even Flow 5.0A 45G

Hybrid:   :titelist-small: 816 H1 19

Irons:   :callaway-small:  Apex CF16 (5-PW) - Recoil 760 F3

Wedges:   :vokey-small:  SM6 56

Putter:   :odyssey-small:   White Hot XG Teron

Ball: :callaway-small: E.R.C. Soft Triple Track

Bag: Sun Mountain H2NO

Stage 2 Placeholder

Vice Pro Soft review

Player Intro.

When I started review these Vice Pro Soft balls, I test them alongside my current ball, Pinnacle Lady. For the test, I hit 4 balls of each brand with the Driver, 6 iron, a pitching wedge and with the putter.

I also played 9 holes with 1 ball each. I picked my best shot and placed the balls at that spot. From there I hit the next shot until they lie on the green. On the green, I played every ball as they lie.

The average driving distance with the Pinnacle Lady was between 197-203 yards. The average driving distance with the Vice Pro Soft was much further. I hit them between 208-219 yards. A difference of 10-15 yards! I like these Vice Pro Soft from the tee!!!!!!

The average 6 iron distance with the Pinnacle Lady was between 126-130 yards. The average distance with the Vice Pro Soft was a little further, but not as much as the driving distance with the driver. I hit the Vice Pro Soft balls with the 6 iron between 132-137 yards. 

The wedge shots performance wise were the same conditions, but feels wise they were very different. Reed later on this review more about this.

Performance

●     Distance – From the tee, the Vice Pro Soft flies about 15 yards further than the Pinnacle Lady, which I compared. Therefore, it is a huge difference. With the 6 iron the difference is about 5 yards, which I also like.

●     Consistency – The ballflight with the irons was a bit higher. This was a better ballflight high. Normally my ballstikes are too low.

●     Feel – I love the way the ball comes off the club. I could really feel the softness of the ball.

Performance wise on and around the green, the Vice Pro Soft feels a lot different. There is more control on and around the greens with less bouncing on the green and more role.

●     Carry vs Roll – The Vice Pro Soft ball carried further than the Pinnacle Lady which one I compared. The roll was the same, but the Vice Pro Soft had more consistent roll and less bounce on the fairways.

Course Score48 out of 50 points

Subjective

Looks & Durability

●     The eye wants something too. The packaging is very awesome. The balls came in a matte green box. The picture of the leopard, who is the symbol of this Vice Pro Soft ball, is great.

●     I like the matte outer coating instead of the standard glossy balls.

●     Simple design, great effect! I do not like to draw my ball with a moderate stick. I love the “Keep in Line” stripe on the ball. I enjoy the peace of this bright black stripe on the ball, both with my eyeshot and putting.

●     After a round of golf, they look properly nasty dirty, but they clean up brilliantly with a little bit of soap and water!

Looks Score: 15 out of 15 points

Sound and Feel

·         I did feel the difference in feel of the ball. Through the urethane cover, the ball feels softer. I love this ball. He felt so so soft. Especially in the short game area, I very much feel the softness of the ball. I like the death feel with putting.

·         The ball also has a tiny sound.

·         Overall, the Vice Pro Soft absolute feels great.

Sound and Feel Score: 15 out of 15 points

Likelihood of Purchase

●     Definitely, the Vice Pro Soft golf balls will replace my current Pinnacle Lady balls.

●     Pricewise these balls are very interesting and they are available in three colors (matte white, matte lime and matte red).

LOP Score: 20 out of 20 points

Subjective Notes

●     I am pleasantly surprised with the amount of action I got with this ball.

●     Overall, I do love this ball. It has all I want; the looks, the feel and the data. I do love this ball by his feeling, particularly around and on the greens, and giving more distance.

●     The Vice Pro Soft golf balls are a very high performance golf ball, which perform very well!

Conclusion & Final Score

This Vice Pro Soft golf balls plays very long of the tee and softly around the green. These are very high quality golf balls, which perform excellent. The matte outer coating looks very nice.

The quality of the balls is unprecedented for the price. Pricewise they are very interesting when you buy these balls in volume, then you get volume discount.

Overall, I do LOVE these balls!!

Total Score: 98

20170418_154700.jpg

20170423_163711.jpg

20170423_164014.jpg

20170423_164053.jpg

20170423_164134.jpg

20170418_154224.jpg

20170418_155040.jpg

20170418_155237.jpg

20170418_155521.jpg

Stage 3 Placeholder

• Handicap? (Or average score)

- Handicap is 14

• Strengths of your game?

- I would say the biggest strength of my game is inside 150 yards.  Typically, pending on the weather, that is a 7-iron and in.  I really like to try and attack the pin with any of my wedges, but the best-laid plans don't always pan out! :)  I feel like I am a pretty consistent putter.  I do not make a ton of long putts, but I also do not 3 putt many greens. 

• Weakness of your game?

- My biggest weakness is off of the tee-box.  I struggle with my driver and my woods.  If it is really bad during a round, I will hit my hybrid or 4-iron off of the tee and keep my driver in the bag. 

• Typical ball flight?

- My typical ball flight is low and piercing.  I learned how to play golf on the windy courses of South Dakota, so I think that is where I learned how to hit that low, piercing shot.  Even with my shorter irons, my ball flight is much lower than most golfers.  I do not mind the low-ball flight though because I tend to get some action on my wedges because of the lower ball flight. 

• Typical miss?

- I am a right-handed golfer.  My typical miss is a snap-hook.  It can get super ugly on the golf course. J   I think I can get really fast with my hands and it can get snappy really quickly! 

• Current Ball?

- I am in the market for a new ball.  I have hit the Volvik S4 (too expensive), TaylorMade Tour Preferred (didn't really care for this ball) and several Callaway options.

• Swing tempo?

- I believe I have a fairly rhythmic, slow and steady swing speed.  I do this because my hands can get too fast and then I get the snap-hook. 

• Driver swing speed?

- 90 MPH

• What makes you love the game?

- Man, this is a good question. I love the difficulty of the game.  I love how prepared you have to be for each shot or the worst could happen.  I love that it fuels the super competitive side of me.  I am a high school football coach, so I love how golf makes you prepare for every shot or it will get the best of you.  Kind of like football, we need to prepare each week to be the best we can be.  If not, the season isn't going to be what we want it to be.  I also love that I can take my wife out and she can enjoy the game with me.  I am definitely looking forward to teaching my daughter how to golf when the time comes. 

• How long have you been golfing?

- I started golfing when I was in college (12 years ago).  I was looking for a summer job and the golf course in town was hiring for the season.  I applied, got the job and worked at the golf course most summers in college.  With that, came free golf.  I had never really played golf before, but I fell in love instantly. 

• What kind of golfer are you?

- I would say I am a risk-taker on the golf course.  I am always itching for the one shot that brings me back to the course the next day; that 210-yard hybrid, into the wind with a putt for eagle.  Those are the shots I live for – the shots I crave on the course.

• What's your story?

- I am 31 years old.  I am a Speech Pathologist in the schools in a small town in Iowa.  I coach high school football in the fall and love to get out on the golf course whenever I can.  I am married, my wife and I have a beautiful 10-month old daughter at home.  I grew up in a football-crazed town and now I live in a football-crazed town. Our family motto is, “Faith, Family, Football.”   My wife and I try and get out on the golf course whenever we can.  I am looking forward to the day where we all three can go out and play the game we love together. 

• What is in your bag?

- I just recently bought a new set of clubs from Golf USA in Ames, Iowa.  Great store, if you are ever in the area tell them I sent you! Golf USA is one of the best golf stores around this area.  My clubs are as follows:

- Driver: Nike Vapor Speed

- 3 wood: Nike Vapor Speed Fairway

- Hybrid: Titleist 915H 3h

- Irons: Nike Vapor Fly Pro (4-AW)

- Wedges: Nike Engage Wedges (52, 56, 60)

- Putter: SeeMore FGP Mallet

• How did you choose them?

- I got fit for my clubs at Golf USA in Ames, Iowa.  I hit several different setups and liked the Nike clubs the best.  I hit Callaway, Cobra, and Ping clubs that day.  Spent about 3 hours with the staff at Golf USA getting everything ready to go.  I love the look of my Nike Vapor Fly Pro Irons and get excited every time I address the ball.

• What region do you play out of?

- Iowa

• Are you a tinkerer or a set and forget it type?

- I am not much into tinkering around with my driver setup (maybe I should be).  I like to leave it at neutral and figure my swing out around the club. 

DSCN0138JPG.jpg

DSCN0132JPG.jpg

DSCN0128JPG.jpg

DSCN0124JPG.jpg

DSCN0122JPG.jpg

Driver: :nike-small: Nike Vapor Speed (10.5 degrees, Stiff)
Hybrid: :titelist-small: Titleist 915H 3h (stiff)
Irons: :nike-small: Nike Vapor Fly Pro (4-AW, stiff +.5 inch long)
Wedges: :nike-small: Nike Engage (52, 56, 60)
Putter: :seemore-small: SeeMore FGP Mallet
Ball: Vice Pro Soft

Bag: Puma Cart Bag

Shoes: :footjoy-small: FootJoy Hyperflex BOA

Dexterity: Right Handed

Handicap: 14

Vice Pro Soft Golf Balls – Official MGS Forum Review by Caleb Wiegmann

*** No pictures yet, the weather the past 8 days here in Iowa has been miserable.  It is snowing right now on April 28, 2017.  Welcome to Iowa!  Pictures to come….

Player Intro

I just recently bought a new set of clubs from Golf USA in Ames, Iowa.  Great store, if you are ever in the area tell them I sent you! Golf USA is one of the best golf stores around this area.  My clubs are as follows:

- Driver: Nike Vapor Speed

- 3 wood: Nike Vapor Speed Fairway

- Hybrid: Titleist 915H 3h

- Irons: Nike Vapor Fly Pro (4-AW)

- Wedges: Nike Engage Wedges (52, 56, 60)

- Putter: SeeMore FGP Mallet

I am in the market for a new ball.  I have hit the Volvik S4 (too expensive), TaylorMade Tour Preferred (didn't really care for this ball) and several Callaway options.

Performance

Describe the following:

• Distance – The Vice Pro Soft knocked it out of the ballpark in this area in my opinion.  Typically off the tee, I am around 250 yards with a low-ball flight.  With the Vice Pro Soft, I was 250+ with all of my drives.  My ball flight was typical (low), but it was consistently straight (unless the ole snaphook came out!).
  • Consistency – I felt like the Vice Pro Soft was incredible around the green (115 yards and in).  Very consistent ball flight with the same pattern on the greens (a few hops and grab).  I felt incredibly confident around the greens with this ball.  The matte look of the ball and the Keep in Line (KIL) marking made me feel like a superhero out on the course.  I felt like I could hole any putt from any distance. 
  • Feel – I thought the feel of the Vice Pro Soft was perfect for me.  I loved the sound off of the irons and I love the look of the ball at address.  The matte look of the ball really sold it for me.  I love, love, loved the look of the ball at presentation.  Again, this made my confidence at every shot higher than it typically is. 
  • Carry vs Roll – I tend to hit low fliers.  I learned to play golf on the Plains of South Dakota (Go Coyotes!) and that is why I hit a shot with a lower ball flight.  The ball does tend to roll out for me, especially when hit with my driver, 3-wood or hybrid. 
  • Performance – I thought the Vice Pro Soft ball performed extremely well.  I was very pleased with it in every aspect of my game.  Off the tee, around the green, on the green and sitting perfectly in the fairway; the matte look of the golf ball makes it look stunning from every aspect.  The Keep in Line (KIL) putting line was also very well produced.  Not too oversized, not too small, just about the perfect size and it truly does help you line up that putt. My swing speed is around 90 MPH, I would venture to say this is one of the best performing balls for swing speeds around 85-95 MPH.  It allows you to be super aggressive if you want because of the soft feel you are going to get on the green. Extraordinary distance of off the tee and that extra-soft feel we all want around the green. 

Course Score: (50 out of 50 points)

Subjective

Looks & Durability

Describe the following:

• The packaging off this golf ball is simply awesome.  The picture of the animal crawling through the jungle is great.  All I could think of was, “I am on the prowl for some great golf shots!”  The packaging also makes you feel very confident about your time on the golf course.  Very animalistic.  Very cool.  Very well put together. 
  • The durability of this ball is very good.  I used it for my entire round and did not notice any scuffs or significant marks on the ball.  One thing that does happen with the matte finish is that the ball is definitely harder to clean.  I always like to have a clean golf ball (part of my OCD) and I noticed I had to clean the ball more often than usual.  In the grand scheme of things, this issue is pretty small since I always bring a wet towel with me on the course.  I like to have my clubs clean too!
  • The matte finish on this golf ball is definitely different.  It is the first of its kind for a golf ball.  I loved it.  I think the matte finish is just what my golf ball needed.  It did not reflect at all on those bright, sun-shiney days like other golf balls have done for me in the past.  It is almost exactly opposite of what the Volvik S4 white model ball gives you.  That ball made me feel like the ball was “shining” in the sun and I did not appreciate that during my setup.  The matte finish, the KIL putting line, and the simplistic, beautiful design makes the Vice Pro Soft golf ball look great!

Looks Score: (14 out of 15 points)

Sound and Feel

• I thought the sound of impact with the Vice Pro Soft was very appealing.  It makes you want to hit shot after shot (max of 4 pending on the hole J).  Overall, I thought the sound of the ball was very typical for a low-compression golf ball.  I thought the feel of the Vice Pro Soft was perfect for me.  I loved the sound off of the irons and I love the look of the ball at address.  The matte look of the ball really sold it for me.  I love, love, loved the look of the ball at presentation.  Again, this made my confidence at every shot higher than it typically is.  Overall, the sound and the feel of the Vice Pro Soft golf ball was great for me. 

Sound and Feel Score: (15 out of 15 points)

Likelihood of Purchase

• Overall, this golf ball was a game-changer for me.  It will definitely be gamed right away.  What am I going to do with my inventory of other golf balls?!? The overall feel, look, sound and appearance of the golf ball all matched exactly what I am looking for.  I really liked the volume discount as well – 1/$35, 3/$30 and 5/$25. Also, they have some pretty sweet colors of golf balls too if that fits your fancy (Lime and red colors).  I am thinking about gaming some of those too!! Overall, I am very pleased with the Vice Pro Soft golf ball. I will definitely be purchasing more in the future!

LOP Score: (20 out of 20 points)

Subjective Notes

Overall, I was very impressed with the quality and durability of these golf balls.  They will be in my bag for a long time to come! The consistent ball flight, soft-feel and overall ability of the ball around the green made this ball a very viable option for me! I am very appreciative of the opportunity MGS gave me to review and play with these golf balls.  I will be adding more to my collection in the near future!

Conclusion & Final Score

In conclusion, I say, “buy, buy, buy, buy!!!!!”  If your swing speed is less than 100 MPH, I think these are great golf balls for you! Thank you to MGS for the chance to test these Vice golf balls, they are truly a game-changer in my opinion. 

Total Score: 99 out of 100

Thanks all, I hope this review helps you in whatever way is best for you!

Caleb Wiegmann

Stage 3 Placeholder

My current ball I us is the Srixon Z star.  It has everything I was looking for in a ball, distance; feel around the green and durability.

My average score is 84

7 iron distance: 150 yds.

Ball flight – Is usually a high fade, the “butter fade” as my friends call it. Lol.  With my miss being a slice. 

Putter – Taylormade Raylor with pure roll insert

Strength of my game would be my chipping and short irons.  I use my 51* gap wedge for most of my chipping and pitching.  Depending on the lie, close to the green and with tight grass, I will use my 56* Vega wedge with very good results. J

Weakness would be hitting my fairway woods, just can't seem to hit them consistently, it goes straight, slice, pull.  Just never know but I'm working on it.  The grind!

Swing tempo is fast but I'm not out of balance when I swing.  (depend on how many beers)

• Driver swing speed – 95 mph

Why do I love this game?  Every day, every game is different, even on the same course.  I also love the people you meet on the course.  The challenge of beating my last score always drives me to play better and have fun! 

I've been golfing since I was 15 yrs old.  Me and my hockey pals would go out and hit the ball around, not really keeping score.  Then I actually hit some good shots and I was hooked!

What kind of golfer are you? –I feel I'm a good golfer who wants to get better every time he is out on the course.  Just can't find enough $ to play all I would like too.  I didn't start getting serious about my game till years later, I would read articles in “Golf Magazine” and try out the different drills they had.  I would pick and choose the 1's I knew would help my game and used that to get better.  And it worked, every season I would work on a different part of my game, the one that was giving my problems the year before, and try to correct them from the articles I read.  I never had a lesson and am self-taught.  I am proud to go golfing with my daughter and show her the values that this game has.  We have a great time on the course together. 

What's in my bag? 

• Taylormade Tour Preferred CB irons 4-GW. I picked up the matching SW to complete the set.
  •  Driver: Callaway Hyper X 9* reg shaft.  Wilson FG 3+4 woods.
  •  Putter: Taylormade Raylor. 
  • Ball: Srixon Z star. 

How did I choose them?  - I had been using the same set of Macgregor RPM's for about 15 years, 1 day my wife was asking about my clubs, this was a 1st, she thought I have them just recently. Ahh no.  That Christmas I was surprised with a $500 gift card from Golf Town! WOW.  Off I went and started looking at clubs under that price.  I was looking at club a couple of years old to keep the price down, while I was trying out clubs, the fitter at Golf Town brought me over the Taylormade Tour Preferred CB.  I tried them, fell in love with them, and the best part, they were on sale for half price!!  SOLD! 

What region do I play in?

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

What's my story?

I'm 50 yrs old, married 22 years to my wonderful wife and we have 2 children, my son is 20 and my daughter is 16.  I am currently working as a Production Supervisor for Magellan Aerospace.  I have been there almost 1 year in May.  Before that I worked in the Optical industry for 25 years making eye glasses for Luxottica.  They closed our facility down putting both me and my wife both out of work.  That was a tough time with both of us out of work.  But we have both found new jobs and new careers and are very happy.  My daughter is my golf buddy and we try and go out at least once every 2 weeks together.  These are my favorite days!!  My son surprised my 1 birthday and took me golfing.  Up until then, he has shown no interest in going out with me, even though I ask him often.  I am still shocked when of think of that day.  I will get him hooked yet!! LOL.  

Kens G5 phone 622.jpg

Kens G5 phone 623.jpg

Kens G5 phone 624.jpg

Kens G5 phone 628.jpg

Kens G5 phone 652.jpg

Kens G5 phone 653.jpg

Kens G5 phone 660.jpg

Stage 2 Placeholder

Vice Pro soft 95-105 group – Official MGS Forum Review by GolferKen

[picture]

Player Intro.

Tell us what is in your bag, your current ball and why you use that ball.

Driver: Callaway Hyper X 9* reg shaft. Irons: Taylormade Tour Preferred CB 4-GW, SW. Wilson FG tour 3 wood.  My current ball is the Srixon Z star.  I was looking for a cheaper option to the Pro V1x I was using, as luck would have it I won a year supply of Srixon Z stars.  They gave me the same distance as the ProV1x but I felt I had more feel and spin around the greens with the Z star.  Also more durable.

Tell us how you play. We want to have an understanding of who you are so opinions are relative.

I'm a walker who really likes to get to his ball and usually ready to hit my shot before the next guy gets to his ball.  As I approach my ball. I know what shot I want o hit so I just have to wait for the other to hit theirs, or decide what they're going to try. Ready golf for sure.  I'm not as long as I think I should be so I just try and play within myself.  If I'm golfing with a guy I know hits it longer than me, I don't try and play the hero and hit shot that I know I can't.  If I have to lay up, I lay up.  I like getting paired up with other golfers on the course. Meeting and sharing golf experiences with others make this game more fun for me.  

Performance

Describe the following:

●     Distance – Does the ball provide adequate distance? Is it responsive off the tee?  How does it compare to your gamer?  For me, the distance with the Vice Pro soft was better than I expected.  Being soft I automatically thought it would be shorter, boy was I wrong.  Driver was equal to and greater on many of my drives.  Irons, I would say they were for the most part, they were slightly longer.  Just a few yards, but longer.

●     Consistency – Is the ball flight consistent? Is it predictable and consistent while chipping and pitching?  The ball flight was consistent.  They went where I was aiming. On a mid to high trajectory. Chipping and pitching were great, I could feel the ball on the face and new right away if I made good contact or not.  I did have a chip in for a “par save” The flight in the air was very consistent.  They flew through the air with the greatest of ease!  On this par 3 we were playing, you could feel the wind coming slightly into you, but as I found out after we started walking to the green, it became more intense, gusty.  Not a lot but enough you could tell the change from tee box to green.  The hole was 146 yds. So a 7 iron for me, but I thought, little wind and still not swinging 100% yet(1st round), smooth 6 iron.  Glad I did!  The ball held the wind beautifully and landed about 15 ft right and below the hole.  No birdie, but a solid par. 

●     Feel – How does it feel off the driver and irons? How does it feel and respond while putting?  It felt very soft off the driver and I didn't mind that.  I'm used to more feedback from the driver because that's what I'm used to.  Even with the soft feel, I could still tell where I was contacting on the face of the driver, on the irons; I loved how soft they felt.  So smooth. 

●     Carry vs Roll – Does the ball stay in the air forever and stop or do you hit low fliers that roll forever. Which is better for your course? On my round I had to play a number of high shots over trees and try to land on the green. The ball flew through the air, longer than I expected but they all landed soft and held the green.  Impressive!  I would normally have landed and bounced off the back.

Course Score: (Out of 50 points) 50

Performance Notes

●     How did it perform? Better than expected. It does the same as my current gamer, but as the round went on, I felt I had more confidence in the shots I needed to hit.  The; just short of the green 15 feet, uphill and down toward the cup another10 feet. The pitch from behind a bunker, past the cart path off a side hill lie, stopped it 10 feet from the hole!!

●     Were you pleased with how the accessory performed?  Very pleased.  They went where I was aiming on a consistent line and trajectory.  On miss hits, when I was off toward the toe, they were only slightly off target.  They made my misses less severe.

●     Please compare and contrast it to what you are currently playing?  When compared to my current gamer, Srixon Z, the Vice Pro soft was every bit as good if not better in some cases.    I've only had a small sample size playing with the Vice Pro, due to weather and the late opening of the courses in Winnipeg, but I like this ball A LOT!

●     What factors were you pleased with?  I'm very pleased with all this ball has to offer.  Distance, feel, accuracy, durability.  All tops in my books.  I'm also very pleases with the matte finish on the ball.  It caught me off guard at 1st, thought it looked like a bar of soap. LOL.  When you're used to seeing the high shine on all the other balls out there, you take it for granted that these too will be the same.  NOT at all!

Subjective

Looks & Durability

Describe the following:

●     Appearance/graphics/packaging.  I liked everything about this ball! Great package with the classy Vice logo on the front and then the Jaguar stalking its prey (the big boys) on the back.

●     Short term/long term durability.  So far I have played only 1 round with the Vice Pro soft but I have no doubt that its durability won't be an issue.  The course I was playing was tree lined and I'm not going to lie, I hit a few trees this round.  I thought that after hitting trees, twigs, out of the muddy ground would leave a few marks on the ball.  NOPE!  There was 1 mark, a small black mark about 2 dimples long that appeared after hitting a tree.  I continued to use it, cleaning after every hole and by the end round it had all but disappeared!  WOW, I've never had that happen on a ball before.

●     Other unique details.

●     How does it compare to other balls, beyond being round and white?  When I 1st saw the ball and the matte finish, I wondered how it would be for tracking the flight and spotting it in the fairway. I always wear sunglasses while playing and I had no issues!  And as far as finding it in the woods, no problem.  Once the leaves come it might be different but I will have to wait a little longer for that.

Looks Score: (Out of 15 points)   15

20170430_160017_HDR_resized.jpg

20170430_160035_HDR_resized.jpg

20170430_160242_resized.jpg

20170430_160249_resized.jpg

Sound and Feel

●     Is it soft, crisp, dull, clunky (feel free to use your own imaginative phrases)?  Off the face of the driver, it was a muted sound at impact.  Off the irons, again muted.  Both fell soft like dropping your head on a fluffy pillow

●     Does it impact your performance in a noticeable way?  Not at all. I can still tell where the ball is contacting the face and that's what's important for me.

●     How does the sound cause you to react?  I think I gained more confidence because without the louder “click” from my usual gamer, it was almost calming: “That felt good!”

Sound and Feel Score: (Out of 15 points)   15

Likelihood of Purchase

How likely would you be to purchase this accessory?  YES. Absolutely would purchase this ball.  The way this ball preformed for me and my game…IT WAS AWESOME!  Distance, feel, control. Everything you can ask for in a ball and more.   And to top it off, the durability of this ball was 2 thumbs up!! I knocked it off trees, through mud and twigs.  “It took a licking and kept on ticking”

LOP Score: (Out of 20 points)   20

Subjective Notes

Summarize your overall impressions.  What else can I say about how much I like these balls?  They perform better than my Srixon Z's.  More distance, more accurate and they feel out of this world.  And then there's the added bonus of how durable they are. Wow!  Bounced off trees, found and still looked great.  I'm thing about my round I played with Vice Pro soft golf ball

Conclusion & Final Score   

Summarize your review in a storytelling style. Touch on those aspects of the product you find significant (both good and bad).  Overall I am very impressed with the Vice Pro soft golf ball.  Looks are outstanding.  Feel is "soft" but not where you can't tell where the ball contacts the face and what direction it was going.  Distance is on par and longer on many shots.  Control, I could control the flight, low or high.  Durability, was far more unexpected than I was expecting.  It held up much BETTER than I thought it would. All that said, I have only been able to enjoy 1 round with the Vice Pro, but I can't wait to but in some more rounds with these beauties!

Total Score:   100

Vice Pro Soft ball â€“ Official MGS Forum Review by BigtazzGOLF

Player Biography & Interview

The Questions
● Handicap/average score? 13
● Strengths of your game? Length
● Weakness of your game? Putting
● Typical ball flight? High
● Typical miss? Right
● Current comparable equipment? Titleist Pro V1x

● Swing tempo? Smooth
● Driver swing speed? 110
● What makes you love the game? The competition and friendships I've developed over the years
● How long have you been golfing? 20 yrs
● What kind of golfer are you? Competitive, but fun

● What is in your bag?

Ø  Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 8° with Grafalloy ProLite 35

Ø  Taylormade Jetspeed 3 wood 15*

Ø  Taylormade Speedblades 4-PW

Ø  Cleveland  CG16 Satin 52*

Ø  Cleveland  588 RTX 2.0 56*

Ø  Sentio Sierra 101-M

● How did you choose them? Cost, feel, and looks
● What region do you play out of?  South

● Are you a tinkerer or a set and forget it type?  Set and forget, once I have things how I like them, I'll never touch it.

● What's your story?

My story is similar to most.

Boy meets golf, boy falls in love with golf, golf treats him badly.

Boy keeps coming back for more lol

I'm 43 years old and I wish I'd have caught the golf bug at a younger age instead of waiting till my later years. My 2016 was a rough year. In the spring I had high hopes of achieving my golf goals, but in late May I became ill (some may remember from my pulled muscle thread) and this sidelined me for almost 4 months. I'm still dealing with some mild issues, but only time will help it I believe.

I'm married with 3 kids (no longer kids except my baby girl, she's 17 and will always be daddy's girl) My wife of almost 22 years has put up with my golf game since I caught the bug 2 years after we wed. She doesn't play, but I'm still holding hope she will someday. My oldest son, who is in the Navy, has caught the bug and tries to play when he can and when he comes home on leave. His new wife doesn't play, but does like to drive the cart I believe, so that's a plus. Still waiting on my middle son to catch the bug, but being a sophomore at the University of Tenn. doesn't allow much free time. My first set of clubs I bought from Service Merchandise and having never played except for some range time at Putt-Putt I thought I was ready. I went to the local muni and was paired up with three old guys. I shook their hands and apologized as I told them this was my first time on the course to actually play and I'd try not to slow them down. That day I learned that you “drive for show and putt for dough”!

A few years later I advanced to my first real set of clubs, the Callaway X series driver and woods and the x-18 irons (my son now has these minus the woods) I started playing better and even won my flight in the city publink. I then found my current league The GolfNuts. Playing competitive rounds every week with those guys has helped me to lower my score to mid to low 80's on a regular basis.

After being selected to review the Vice golf ball I went to their website to really see what this company from Germany was all about. I have seen their ad's on Facebook and twitter, but never thought of buying in bulk to get a discounted ball. I'm hoping to find out thru this review if what Vice is doing is special or not. I hope you enjoy my review and look forward to answering any questions I can for you.

Below are a few pictures I snapped as I opened it up.

20170407_154109.jpg

Love the aggressive feeling I get from the packaging, makes me want to go after every pin!

20170407_154139.jpg

20170407_154333.jpg

The competition is about to begin!

20170407_154459.jpg

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Vice Pro Soft – Official MGS Forum Review by BigtazzGOLF

I'll be comparing the Vice Pro Soft against my normal ball the Titleist Pro V1x

Performance

●     Distance – Distance for the Vice ball was about the same for irons and wedges, noticeable difference was in the driver. On sweet spot shots of both balls, I was seeing on average 9-10 yds gain from the Vice over the Pro V1x.

●     Consistency – the Vice Pro Soft is on par with my usual game and accuracy with my irons from long irons thru wedges. I did notice a better shot dispersion pattern with my driver and 3 wood with the Vice Pro Soft vs the Pro Vix

●     Feel – This is a section about how the ball feels off your clubs and before I get to that I must start with how it feels in your hand right out of the box. Rubbery. Like a silicon type material. This caught me off guard and slightly distracting until I started putting and chipping with it. That feeling soon left me and I no longer thought about it.

●     Now how it felt off my clubs, off my woods and irons, it felt soft but responded nicely. Off the putter it rolled nicely and did not feel or sound clicky as some balls do.

●     Carry vs Roll – I noticed similar flight and carry time for both the Vice and Pro V1x balls. The Vice ball, I had trouble stopping on the greens on approach shots. They'd hit and roll out 8-12 yds vs the Pro v1X that would hit and stop from the same approach shots.

Course Score: (35 out of 50 points)

Performance Notes

After a few rounds with the Vice ball I am getting more accustomed to it and started scoring batter than I did when I first put it into play. This is a ball in my opinion that you need to get a few rounds under your belt to really appreciate it.

Subjective

Looks & Durability

The look of the Pro Soft is interesting to me. It comes in a “matte” finish and according to the Vice website, ( http://www.vicegolf.com/us2/vice-golf-pro-soft-white ) it is the first urethane cast ball to do this. The matte finish gives it an anti-glare look which is neat and provides better visibility while in flight.

The durability of the ball gets top marks from me. Skipping it off cart paths, off trees and even down a paved road, it took a beating and kept going. I notice it would collect grass stains quicker than a regular ball, but this easily wipes clean.

Looks Score: (15 out of 15 points)

Sound and Feel

The Pro Soft as I mentioned earlier, felt soft off my clubs, but wasn't a noticeable distraction just something to get accustomed to then your fine.

No real difference in the sound off any club from driver to putter between the Vice or Titleist ball.

Sound and Feel Score: (11 out of 15 points)

Likelihood of Purchase

Me personally the likely hood of purchase for this ball isn't very strong for a couple of reasons. One, the purchase plan doesn't suit my needs in buying balls. I don't buy in bulk.  Two, the ball itself didn't fit my swing or how I play. Any new ball I try I can usually tell within the first round if it is something I'd like to shift my game towards and the Vice Pro Soft didn't do it for me. It is a very nice ball, but not for me.

LOP Score: (5 out of 20 points)

Conclusion & Final Score

To summarize my thoughts on the Vice Pro Soft golf ball, it is a nice ball and I bet a bunch of people will like it. I love the packaging it comes in and I'm sold on the matte finish and the fact it comes in different colors. I'd like to try this ball again in colder temperatures, I'm betting it'll be a great winter ball. If you're able to buy in bulk, this is a good option to look into.

Total Score: (66)

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

Stage 3 Placeholder

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

• Handicap: 12
  • Strengths: Short irons
  • Weakness: Pitching/Chipping
  • Typical ball flight: Mid-High

• Typical miss: Left
  • Current Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft
  • Swing tempo: Medium
  • Driver swing speed: 100-105
  • What makes you love the game? Sights, smells, and sounds. I love sports and the outdoors, is there really a better way to enjoy the two? There is nothing better than going out to play on freshly cut grass, in the mid 70s, with the sun shining. You just cannot beat it. Add in the sound of iron shot being crisply struck, and it's heaven on Earth.
  • How long have you been golfing? This year marks my second full year of playing golf. I started in 2015 at the end of the season.
  • What kind of golfer are you? I'm a very focused, competitive golfer, but I'm also out to have a good time. I compete with myself every time I'm on the course to hit better shots, sink better putts, and enjoy the game more and more. 
  • What's your story? Back in high school, our school went to state for golf 6 years in a row and placed top 5 every time. I did not play then, never really liked the game. That was about 7-8 years ago. My good friend played on that team and has played all his life. Back in 2015 he told me to buy a set of clubs just to go out and play with him, never knowing at the time that I would fall in love with the game. So I bought some Top Flite irons and that is where it all began. I try to go out as much as I possibly can, rain or shine.
  • What is in your bag? 
Driver: Cobra F7+ | Stiff  Flex | 9.5* 

FW: Callaway XR 3W | Reg Flex

Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex 4H | Reg Flex

Irons: Ping G25  | 4-PW | White Dot | +1"  | Stiff Flex

Wedges: Callaway MD3 | 52/56/60 | +1 " | 3* Up | Wedge Flex

Putter: Ping Sigma G Anser | 36.5"

• How did you choose them? You're probably asking yourself, why the mismatching flexes. Well, when I started I didn't know much about all of that so I purchased regular flex assuming that was what I needed. As the time passed I realized what I needed and everything is slowly making its' way to that. Everything is all over the place, I have never had a proper fitting, mostly static stuff. Throughout the course of this year (hopefully) I would like to order a new hybrid, as I never hit this one. The XR 3W has been my go-to, even though it's regular flex, it will be hard to replace.
  • What region do you play out of? Missouri, USA
  • Are you a tinkerer or a set and forget it type? Eh, as of right now I'm a tinkerer. I am slowly, but surely figuring everything out about my swing and making small adjustments along the way until I find exactly where I need to be.

Enough about me, let's get the ball rolling...

7BMWBWx.gif

...with some glamour shots!

Qq3Yg63.jpg

p9AIarq.jpg

5McYnQy.gif

HGgrxyt.jpg

AVHGxoi.jpg

vlpW0n4.jpg

ZWfX1zk.jpg

dZSO4DC.jpg

One last shot, for science!

uPQ5WYD.jpg

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

So, I hear you all like balls. White balls. Yellow balls. Orange balls. Well today, I'm going to be telling you all about them, more specifically the Vice Pro Soft.

Ever since I read about Vice Golf and how they make premium balls that can compete with anything out there, without paying the inflated price, I had to give them a shot. However, the only way you can get that lower price is if you buy multiple dozen. UNLESS, you get lucky enough to be chosen as a tester, like I did. I was thrilled, I love trying out new equipment and testing new products. It's like a fun hobby. 

I started off comparing this ball to Callaway Chrome Softs, then compared it some others such as the Srixon Soft Feel and the Wilson Duo.. mainly because those are some other soft balls I have hanging out in my bag. I was ready for the competition!

The first thing I noticed when I opened the package was the matte white finish. Mmm mmm mmm, I like it. I know that it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is definitely different, and well, I like different. 

So if you like premium balls at a lower price and a matte finish, we're 2 for 2. 

Now, onto how they performed. I was very anxious to tee these up. After reading all of the characteristics of this ball: S2TG technology, 336 dimple design, and 3-piece cast urethane cover, I was ready to GRIP IT AND RIP IT! 

Unfortunately, to me, they were not as soft as I was expecting them to be. Especially compared to the Chrome Softs. *Note my swing speed, may be different for other golfers. They did however fly straight and long! Giggity.

Onto the greener side of things, they really performed around the greens. See what I did there? I was worried at first, they had some roll out to them during my first couple of rounds. My fault though. I decided to really test them to see what I could get them to do on the green when my round was over. I hit some from just off the fringe and moved back in increments to about 70 yards out and this is where they shined. Most shots were 1 or 2 bounces then stopped, respective of the distance to green. It felt great. This is where one of their claims to fame held up. 

Time to sink some putts.

Their KIL (Keep in Line) putting line looks great, one of the best I've seen on a ball. It's not really thin and it's not overly obnoxious. It's perfect. I did some testing with these versus the Wilson Staff Duo and the Chrome Softs. I had the balls placed at my putter, without my knowing which one it was, and rolled all three of them. I would say in this competition, the Vice was more similar to the WS Duo than the CS. It was soft. Very soft. 

Dirty balls, nobody likes them. 

After playing a few rounds with each of the balls I typically play, I compared how dirty they were at the end of the rounds as well as how easy they were to clean and get to look "like-new" again. In my experience, the Vice balls did not clean up as easily as the others. I think the matte finish is to blame for this, but I could be wrong. Or, maybe it's just how they appear in my eye as they don't like shiny when cleaned, so it could be a placebo effect. Just a minor thing, but like I said, nobody likes dirty balls. 

To wrap things up, the Vice Pro Soft was a hit and miss for me. There were certain things I liked about them, but also certain things that my current ball does better. Here is the TOTALLY RAD thing though. If you purchase 5+ dozen of these balls, you can get them for $24.95 a dozen. For that price, I'd say they're more than worth it. So, get a couple buddies to pitch in, buy several dozen to split, and let me know how they performed for you.

As of right now, my current ball is the Callaway ChromeSoft. To be totally honest, I started out playing Nike PD Softs a while back and was lucky enough to get some ChromeSofts to try out, and I never looked back. It's fun comparing your normal equipment against other new stuff out there, and this was an exciting showdown. 

My game can be very good one day and very random the next, so I made sure to get in a lot of testing with the Vice Pro Softs. Luckily I live in a small town of about 1,500 people and our local club is rarely ever busy. I am fortunate enough that I can go out whenever I want and play around without any hassle. It allows me to stop, drop a few balls, and test out how they react with different shots. I will usually play every Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and then most times another day or two throughout the week.

Performance

⦁ Distance: This is one area where the ball passed my expectations. It was surprisingly long and held it's line pretty well without any leaking too far left (my typical miss)

⦁ Consistency: Very predictable. There was never a time I was unsure of what the ball would do as long as my swing was what I wanted it to be.

⦁ Feel: Not as soft as the Chrome Soft, but not too firm to make you suspect it's a cheap ball. 

⦁ Carry vs Roll: The Vice Pro Soft has some great carry to it, I was able to hit some of my best drives with the VPS. 

Course Score: (45 of 50 points)

Performance Notes

⦁ This ball performed right around where I thought it would. I do not think it is a contender against my ChromeSoft, however, at the price point you can get it at (if you buy multiple dozen) it's a great ball. If you are able to buy several dozen and get these for $24.95, there is not a ball that will be it for that price.

Subjective

Looks & Durability

⦁ The matte finish is something unique that is starting to hit the market a lot more, it may not be for everyone, but I am a definite fan. 

⦁ The "Vice" scripture is also very appealing, it's not some plain font that you see on most other balls. It has some fancy to it. 

⦁ The "KIL" Keep In Line putting line is one thing that stands out. It allows you to easily line up your putts and not be to overwhelming on the ball. Very subtle, but very nice addition. 

Looks Score: (15 of 15 points)

Sound and Feel

⦁ Not as soft as my current gamer, but as I previously mentioned, it does not feel cheap. 

⦁ When struck with anything besides a putter, it has a dull-like sound to it. Feels and sounds just like any other soft ball when on the putting green. Nothing clicky like you get with some mid-range balls.

Sound and Feel Score: (10 of 15 points)

Likelihood of Purchase

⦁ At the price point of one dozen, $34.95 + shipping costs, I do not see myself buying just a single dozen. However, if I can talk some friends into testing some themselves, I would gladly buy several dozen and split the costs. You just can't beat the ball at the discounted price.

LOP Score: (18 of 20 points)

Subjective Notes

⦁ If you are looking for a premium ball that you can potentially get at a not-so-premium price, look no further. The ball performs well and looks ever better!

Conclusion & Final Score

⦁ I was very anxious to try out the Vice brand. I had always read about them and their premium balls shipped straight to you to cut out the middle man. It's an awesome selling point. Unfortunately I never got around to buying any. That being said, this testing I have done over the past couple weeks may make me eager to buy some in the future. I had my doubts at first. I thought "No way can this company compete with other premium ball brands such as Callaway, Titleist, Bridgestone, etc." I was wrong. Sorta. The balls did surprisingly well in the tests I was able to put them through. They were staight. They were long. They looked great. However, they were not as soft as I had hoped. I wanted it to be a serious contender for my Chrome Soft. It was a tough battle through and through, but I think they were defeated. But, don't let that stop you from trying any of Vice's balls. They just may the one you're looking for. 

Total Score: 88

• Handicap?  Index 4.1
  • Strengths of your game?  Wedge play
  • Weaknesses of your game?  Putting
  • Typical ball flight? Mid - high
  • Typical miss?  Left
  • Current ball?  Snell, MTB
  • Swing tempo?  Fast
  • Driver swing speed?  105 mph
  • Video of swing?  
  • What makes you love the game?  I have always loved a challenge and 53 years later, the challenge still exists.
  • How long have you been golfing?  53 years
  • What kind of golfer are you?  Way too competitive and not nearly as good as I want be or used to think I was.  But I'm OK with that.  Golf is more fun with a smile than gritted teeth.
  • What's your story?  I began playing at age 5 when a 9-hole course opened in my hometown.  Quickly 4 of us became daily players and won a state championship in high school. One of those friends played on tour for years, and all of us played college golf.  We are still good friends which is perhaps one of the greatest stories of golf.  It builds relationships.
  • What is in your bag?
    • Cobra AMP Cell Driver
    • TaylorMade Burner 3-wood
    • Cobra 19 degree hybrid
    • Cobra ProS3 4-P
    • Vokey SPM 52, 56 and 60
    • Odyssey White Hot #9
  • How did you choose them?  Aesthetics and feel, demos, trial and error.
  • What region do you play out of?  Iowa , midwest US
  • Are you a tinkerer or a set and forget it type?  I am a novice club builder so, for myself, I'm a tinkerer.  But with limits.  I'm much more likely to try a different club than make an adjustment to a club.

Vice1.jpg

Vice2.jpg

Vice3.jpg

PING i-20 Driver, 8.5 degree, stiff

TaylorMade Burner 2.0 3-wood, 15 degree, stiff

TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Hybrid, 18 degree, stiff

Cobra Pro S3 4-P Dynamic Gold S-300

Vokey SPM 52, 56 & 60

Boccieri N1-L

Snell My Tour Ball

Stage 2:

I have had my review done for a few days and wanted to include some pictures that I kept forgetting to have taken.  I doubt any photos I would include would vary significantly from what my fellow testers have posted, so I am going with my review only.

About Me and How I Play

I am a competitive person and I can get upset when I do not play well.  I am wrestling with some significant changes in my game.  I am 58 years old and the loss of distance that I have experienced in the past 4 or 5 years is troubling.  I used to be one of “the big hitters.”  Now I “play pretty well for a guy my age.” The toughest thing about this is the inconsistency.  Some days a good 7-iron will go 155 yds.  Some days maybe 145.  I never know.  And it is very different from the 170 I used to hit it.

Even with these changes, I still want to play well, but the target seems to move.  I know I am unlikely to win another club championship, but I should still always break 80, shouldn't I?  Apparently not.  The competitor that resides within gets steamed, while the rational person that lives next to the competitor realizes that a bad day golfing is better than many things.  Rarely the score adds up to something even par or better.  Too often it doesn't.  But I love the game, am addicted, or both, and am always excited for the next opportunity to play.

This ball seems to be marginally longer off of the tee than the Snell MTB.  Marginally.  While I did not use a tape measure to confirm this, off of the tee I was playing from places very similar to where I usually play, but perhaps a half-club closer to the green.  With my irons, I could detect no discernable difference in length.

The ball seemed to stay in the air longer, but again I would say the difference was marginal.  I hit some knock-down shots where the ball produced the desired flight.  To me it can be hit by good players and produce the result they want for the shot being played.  It is very difficult to measure roll parameters because it is currently so wet in our area that more balls plug than bounce at this time. Most people would prefer to see more roll on our course.  A lot of run will rarely cause issues.

It hit it pretty straight in general and the trajectory and flight path matched what I see in my usual game.  This was true on full shots and less-than-full “feel” shots like pitching and chipping. I did chip-in once the first round I played with it, so it must be true, right?

The Vice Pro Soft feels fantastic off of all of my clubs.  Even though the feel was favorable, I could not get this ball to spin with my wedges like I can with either the Snell MTB or the Titleist Pro V1. This is a big issue and shows in the course score.  The ball also felt solid off of the putter face.  I will say that the ball feels strange when you hold it.  The matte finish is very different, at least in the realm of “tour” balls.  But I actually liked this more as I played it.

Course Score: 42

Looks & Durability

The jungle / wild cats look is aggressive, and new golf equipment needs this type of marketing.  The matte finish is unique.  I found the ball to be very durable. And the matte finish makes the number of holes played with the ball harder to detect visually.  This ball compares favorably with other “tour” balls and deserves consideration in that segment.  My wedges tend to be hard on the surface of the balls I play.  Either the Vice Pro Soft is very durable, or I simply was not hitting my wedges crisp.  That is certainly possible, but seems unlikely to have persisted as I worked my way through the entire dozen.

Looks Score: 13

Sound and Feel

The ball feels similar to other “tour” balls off of all of my clubs.  Crisp is a good word.  And the sound the ball produces off of the driver where it is most noticeable is solid.  My playing partners commented on it several times in different rounds.  The sound didn't change my reaction other than to elicit the joy that a solidly struck shot can produce.

Sound and Feel Score: 13

Likelihood of Purchase

The price of the Vice Pro Soft is outstanding.  I am unlikely to move away from the Snell MTB as my “gamer” because of the lack of spin produced in my short game.  I'll gladly continue to spend slightly more for that capability.  But I will almost certainly buy the Vice Pro Soft in small quantities.

LOP Score: 16

Conclusion & Final Score

I am a serious golfer who thinks the OEMs are becoming the enemy.  Golf is an expensive game and it seems to get worse with each new generation of equipment.  I am grateful to MyGolfSpy for shining the light on equipment like direct market golf balls, and the Vice Pro Soft.  This is a very good golf ball and when you factor in the price, it may in fact be a great golf ball.  It feels good, sounds great, and is easily worth what they are charging.  I don't believe anyone but the most elite amateur players and touring professionals are capable of distinguishing the subtle differences between this ball and “the #1 ball on tour.”  So why pay for that undetectable difference?  While I had difficulty getting the ball to spin, others may not.  As I said earlier, I believe it can be hit by good players and produce the result they want for the shot being played.  It is definitely belongs in the conversation for those who want a high performance ball.

Total Score: 84

PING i-20 Driver, 8.5 degree, stiff

TaylorMade Burner 2.0 3-wood, 15 degree, stiff

TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Hybrid, 18 degree, stiff

Cobra Pro S3 4-P Dynamic Gold S-300

Vokey SPM 52, 56 & 60

Boccieri N1-L

Snell My Tour Ball

Archived