JBones

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - VICE PRO SOFT GOLF BALLS

Our Sponsors

Stage 2 Placeholder

Vice Pro soft 95-105 group – Official MGS Forum Review by GolferKen

[picture]

Player Intro.

Tell us what is in your bag, your current ball and why you use that ball.

Driver: Callaway Hyper X 9* reg shaft. Irons: Taylormade Tour Preferred CB 4-GW, SW. Wilson FG tour 3 wood.  My current ball is the Srixon Z star.  I was looking for a cheaper option to the Pro V1x I was using, as luck would have it I won a year supply of Srixon Z stars.  They gave me the same distance as the ProV1x but I felt I had more feel and spin around the greens with the Z star.  Also more durable.

Tell us how you play. We want to have an understanding of who you are so opinions are relative.

I'm a walker who really likes to get to his ball and usually ready to hit my shot before the next guy gets to his ball.  As I approach my ball. I know what shot I want o hit so I just have to wait for the other to hit theirs, or decide what they're going to try. Ready golf for sure.  I'm not as long as I think I should be so I just try and play within myself.  If I'm golfing with a guy I know hits it longer than me, I don't try and play the hero and hit shot that I know I can't.  If I have to lay up, I lay up.  I like getting paired up with other golfers on the course. Meeting and sharing golf experiences with others make this game more fun for me.  

Performance

Performance on the Course

Describe the following:

●     Distance – Does the ball provide adequate distance? Is it responsive off the tee?  How does it compare to your gamer?  For me, the distance with the Vice Pro soft was better than I expected.  Being soft I automatically thought it would be shorter, boy was I wrong.  Driver was equal to and greater on many of my drives.  Irons, I would say they were for the most part, they were slightly longer.  Just a few yards, but longer.

●     Consistency – Is the ball flight consistent? Is it predictable and consistent while chipping and pitching?  The ball flight was consistent.  They went where I was aiming. On a mid to high trajectory. Chipping and pitching were great, I could feel the ball on the face and new right away if I made good contact or not.  I did have a chip in for a “par save” The flight in the air was very consistent.  They flew through the air with the greatest of ease!  On this par 3 we were playing, you could feel the wind coming slightly into you, but as I found out after we started walking to the green, it became more intense, gusty.  Not a lot but enough you could tell the change from tee box to green.  The hole was 146 yds. So a 7 iron for me, but I thought, little wind and still not swinging 100% yet(1st round), smooth 6 iron.  Glad I did!  The ball held the wind beautifully and landed about 15 ft right and below the hole.  No birdie, but a solid par. 

●     Feel – How does it feel off the driver and irons? How does it feel and respond while putting?  It felt very soft off the driver and I didn't mind that.  I'm used to more feedback from the driver because that's what I'm used to.  Even with the soft feel, I could still tell where I was contacting on the face of the driver, on the irons; I loved how soft they felt.  So smooth. 

●     Carry vs Roll – Does the ball stay in the air forever and stop or do you hit low fliers that roll forever. Which is better for your course? On my round I had to play a number of high shots over trees and try to land on the green. The ball flew through the air, longer than I expected but they all landed soft and held the green.  Impressive!  I would normally have landed and bounced off the back.

Course Score: (Out of 50 points) 50

Performance Notes

●     How did it perform? Better than expected. It does the same as my current gamer, but as the round went on, I felt I had more confidence in the shots I needed to hit.  The; just short of the green 15 feet, uphill and down toward the cup another10 feet. The pitch from behind a bunker, past the cart path off a side hill lie, stopped it 10 feet from the hole!!

●     Were you pleased with how the accessory performed?  Very pleased.  They went where I was aiming on a consistent line and trajectory.  On miss hits, when I was off toward the toe, they were only slightly off target.  They made my misses less severe.

●     Please compare and contrast it to what you are currently playing?  When compared to my current gamer, Srixon Z, the Vice Pro soft was every bit as good if not better in some cases.    I've only had a small sample size playing with the Vice Pro, due to weather and the late opening of the courses in Winnipeg, but I like this ball A LOT!

●     What factors were you pleased with?  I'm very pleased with all this ball has to offer.  Distance, feel, accuracy, durability.  All tops in my books.  I'm also very pleases with the matte finish on the ball.  It caught me off guard at 1st, thought it looked like a bar of soap. LOL.  When you're used to seeing the high shine on all the other balls out there, you take it for granted that these too will be the same.  NOT at all!

Subjective

Looks & Durability

Describe the following:

●     Appearance/graphics/packaging.  I liked everything about this ball! Great package with the classy Vice logo on the front and then the Jaguar stalking its prey (the big boys) on the back.

●     Short term/long term durability.  So far I have played only 1 round with the Vice Pro soft but I have no doubt that its durability won't be an issue.  The course I was playing was tree lined and I'm not going to lie, I hit a few trees this round.  I thought that after hitting trees, twigs, out of the muddy ground would leave a few marks on the ball.  NOPE!  There was 1 mark, a small black mark about 2 dimples long that appeared after hitting a tree.  I continued to use it, cleaning after every hole and by the end round it had all but disappeared!  WOW, I've never had that happen on a ball before.

●     Other unique details.

●     How does it compare to other balls, beyond being round and white?  When I 1st saw the ball and the matte finish, I wondered how it would be for tracking the flight and spotting it in the fairway. I always wear sunglasses while playing and I had no issues!  And as far as finding it in the woods, no problem.  Once the leaves come it might be different but I will have to wait a little longer for that.

Looks Score: (Out of 15 points)   15

20170430_160017_HDR_resized.jpg

20170430_160035_HDR_resized.jpg

20170430_160242_resized.jpg

20170430_160249_resized.jpg

Sound and Feel

Describe how the product sounds and feels

●     Is it soft, crisp, dull, clunky (feel free to use your own imaginative phrases)?  Off the face of the driver, it was a muted sound at impact.  Off the irons, again muted.  Both fell soft like dropping your head on a fluffy pillow

●     Does it impact your performance in a noticeable way?  Not at all. I can still tell where the ball is contacting the face and that's what's important for me.

●     How does the sound cause you to react?  I think I gained more confidence because without the louder “click” from my usual gamer, it was almost calming: “That felt good!”

Sound and Feel Score: (Out of 15 points)   15

Likelihood of Purchase

How likely would you be to purchase this accessory?  YES. Absolutely would purchase this ball.  The way this ball preformed for me and my game…IT WAS AWESOME!  Distance, feel, control. Everything you can ask for in a ball and more.   And to top it off, the durability of this ball was 2 thumbs up!! I knocked it off trees, through mud and twigs.  “It took a licking and kept on ticking”

LOP Score: (Out of 20 points)   20

Subjective Notes

Summarize your overall impressions.  What else can I say about how much I like these balls?  They perform better than my Srixon Z's.  More distance, more accurate and they feel out of this world.  And then there's the added bonus of how durable they are. Wow!  Bounced off trees, found and still looked great.  I'm thing about my round I played with Vice Pro soft golf ball

Conclusion & Final Score   

Summarize your review in a storytelling style. Touch on those aspects of the product you find significant (both good and bad).  Overall I am very impressed with the Vice Pro soft golf ball.  Looks are outstanding.  Feel is "soft" but not where you can't tell where the ball contacts the face and what direction it was going.  Distance is on par and longer on many shots.  Control, I could control the flight, low or high.  Durability, was far more unexpected than I was expecting.  It held up much BETTER than I thought it would. All that said, I have only been able to enjoy 1 round with the Vice Pro, but I can't wait to but in some more rounds with these beauties!

Total Score:   100

• Like 1

Vice Pro Soft ball â€“ Official MGS Forum Review by BigtazzGOLF

Player Biography & Interview

The Questions
● Handicap/average score? 13
● Strengths of your game? Length
● Weakness of your game? Putting
● Typical ball flight? High
● Typical miss? Right
● Current comparable equipment? Titleist Pro V1x

● Swing tempo? Smooth
● Driver swing speed? 110
● What makes you love the game? The competition and friendships I've developed over the years
● How long have you been golfing? 20 yrs
● What kind of golfer are you? Competitive, but fun

● What is in your bag?

Ø  Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 8° with Grafalloy ProLite 35

Ø  Taylormade Jetspeed 3 wood 15*

Ø  Taylormade Speedblades 4-PW

Ø  Cleveland  CG16 Satin 52*

Ø  Cleveland  588 RTX 2.0 56*

Ø  Sentio Sierra 101-M

● How did you choose them? Cost, feel, and looks
● What region do you play out of?  South

● Are you a tinkerer or a set and forget it type?  Set and forget, once I have things how I like them, I'll never touch it.

● What's your story?

My story is similar to most.

Boy meets golf, boy falls in love with golf, golf treats him badly.

Boy keeps coming back for more lol

I'm 43 years old and I wish I'd have caught the golf bug at a younger age instead of waiting till my later years. My 2016 was a rough year. In the spring I had high hopes of achieving my golf goals, but in late May I became ill (some may remember from my pulled muscle thread) and this sidelined me for almost 4 months. I'm still dealing with some mild issues, but only time will help it I believe.

I'm married with 3 kids (no longer kids except my baby girl, she's 17 and will always be daddy's girl) My wife of almost 22 years has put up with my golf game since I caught the bug 2 years after we wed. She doesn't play, but I'm still holding hope she will someday. My oldest son, who is in the Navy, has caught the bug and tries to play when he can and when he comes home on leave. His new wife doesn't play, but does like to drive the cart I believe, so that's a plus. Still waiting on my middle son to catch the bug, but being a sophomore at the University of Tenn. doesn't allow much free time. My first set of clubs I bought from Service Merchandise and having never played except for some range time at Putt-Putt I thought I was ready. I went to the local muni and was paired up with three old guys. I shook their hands and apologized as I told them this was my first time on the course to actually play and I'd try not to slow them down. That day I learned that you “drive for show and putt for dough”!

A few years later I advanced to my first real set of clubs, the Callaway X series driver and woods and the x-18 irons (my son now has these minus the woods) I started playing better and even won my flight in the city publink. I then found my current league The GolfNuts. Playing competitive rounds every week with those guys has helped me to lower my score to mid to low 80's on a regular basis.

After being selected to review the Vice golf ball I went to their website to really see what this company from Germany was all about. I have seen their ad's on Facebook and twitter, but never thought of buying in bulk to get a discounted ball. I'm hoping to find out thru this review if what Vice is doing is special or not. I hope you enjoy my review and look forward to answering any questions I can for you.

Below are a few pictures I snapped as I opened it up.

20170407_154109.jpg

Love the aggressive feeling I get from the packaging, makes me want to go after every pin!

20170407_154139.jpg

20170407_154333.jpg

The competition is about to begin!

20170407_154459.jpg

• Like 3

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Vice Pro Soft – Official MGS Forum Review by BigtazzGOLF

I'll be comparing the Vice Pro Soft against my normal ball the Titleist Pro V1x

Performance

●     Distance – Distance for the Vice ball was about the same for irons and wedges, noticeable difference was in the driver. On sweet spot shots of both balls, I was seeing on average 9-10 yds gain from the Vice over the Pro V1x.

●     Consistency – the Vice Pro Soft is on par with my usual game and accuracy with my irons from long irons thru wedges. I did notice a better shot dispersion pattern with my driver and 3 wood with the Vice Pro Soft vs the Pro Vix

●     Feel – This is a section about how the ball feels off your clubs and before I get to that I must start with how it feels in your hand right out of the box. Rubbery. Like a silicon type material. This caught me off guard and slightly distracting until I started putting and chipping with it. That feeling soon left me and I no longer thought about it.

●     Now how it felt off my clubs, off my woods and irons, it felt soft but responded nicely. Off the putter it rolled nicely and did not feel or sound clicky as some balls do.

●     Carry vs Roll – I noticed similar flight and carry time for both the Vice and Pro V1x balls. The Vice ball, I had trouble stopping on the greens on approach shots. They'd hit and roll out 8-12 yds vs the Pro v1X that would hit and stop from the same approach shots.

Course Score: (35 out of 50 points)

Performance Notes

After a few rounds with the Vice ball I am getting more accustomed to it and started scoring batter than I did when I first put it into play. This is a ball in my opinion that you need to get a few rounds under your belt to really appreciate it.

Subjective

Looks & Durability

The look of the Pro Soft is interesting to me. It comes in a “matte” finish and according to the Vice website, ( http://www.vicegolf.com/us2/vice-golf-pro-soft-white ) it is the first urethane cast ball to do this. The matte finish gives it an anti-glare look which is neat and provides better visibility while in flight.

The durability of the ball gets top marks from me. Skipping it off cart paths, off trees and even down a paved road, it took a beating and kept going. I notice it would collect grass stains quicker than a regular ball, but this easily wipes clean.

Looks Score: (15 out of 15 points)

Sound and Feel

The Pro Soft as I mentioned earlier, felt soft off my clubs, but wasn't a noticeable distraction just something to get accustomed to then your fine.

No real difference in the sound off any club from driver to putter between the Vice or Titleist ball.

Sound and Feel Score: (11 out of 15 points)

Likelihood of Purchase

Me personally the likely hood of purchase for this ball isn't very strong for a couple of reasons. One, the purchase plan doesn't suit my needs in buying balls. I don't buy in bulk.  Two, the ball itself didn't fit my swing or how I play. Any new ball I try I can usually tell within the first round if it is something I'd like to shift my game towards and the Vice Pro Soft didn't do it for me. It is a very nice ball, but not for me.

LOP Score: (5 out of 20 points)

Conclusion & Final Score

To summarize my thoughts on the Vice Pro Soft golf ball, it is a nice ball and I bet a bunch of people will like it. I love the packaging it comes in and I'm sold on the matte finish and the fact it comes in different colors. I'd like to try this ball again in colder temperatures, I'm betting it'll be a great winter ball. If you're able to buy in bulk, this is a good option to look into.

Total Score: (66)

• Like 2

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

Stage 3 Placeholder

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

• Handicap: 12
  • Strengths: Short irons
  • Weakness: Pitching/Chipping
  • Typical ball flight: Mid-High

• Typical miss: Left
  • Current Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft
  • Swing tempo: Medium
  • Driver swing speed: 100-105
  • What makes you love the game? Sights, smells, and sounds. I love sports and the outdoors, is there really a better way to enjoy the two? There is nothing better than going out to play on freshly cut grass, in the mid 70s, with the sun shining. You just cannot beat it. Add in the sound of iron shot being crisply struck, and it's heaven on Earth.
  • How long have you been golfing? This year marks my second full year of playing golf. I started in 2015 at the end of the season.
  • What kind of golfer are you? I'm a very focused, competitive golfer, but I'm also out to have a good time. I compete with myself every time I'm on the course to hit better shots, sink better putts, and enjoy the game more and more. 
  • What's your story? Back in high school, our school went to state for golf 6 years in a row and placed top 5 every time. I did not play then, never really liked the game. That was about 7-8 years ago. My good friend played on that team and has played all his life. Back in 2015 he told me to buy a set of clubs just to go out and play with him, never knowing at the time that I would fall in love with the game. So I bought some Top Flite irons and that is where it all began. I try to go out as much as I possibly can, rain or shine.
  • What is in your bag? 
Driver: Cobra F7+ | Stiff  Flex | 9.5* 

FW: Callaway XR 3W | Reg Flex

Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex 4H | Reg Flex

Irons: Ping G25  | 4-PW | White Dot | +1"  | Stiff Flex

Wedges: Callaway MD3 | 52/56/60 | +1 " | 3* Up | Wedge Flex

Putter: Ping Sigma G Anser | 36.5"

• How did you choose them? You're probably asking yourself, why the mismatching flexes. Well, when I started I didn't know much about all of that so I purchased regular flex assuming that was what I needed. As the time passed I realized what I needed and everything is slowly making its' way to that. Everything is all over the place, I have never had a proper fitting, mostly static stuff. Throughout the course of this year (hopefully) I would like to order a new hybrid, as I never hit this one. The XR 3W has been my go-to, even though it's regular flex, it will be hard to replace.
  • What region do you play out of? Missouri, USA
  • Are you a tinkerer or a set and forget it type? Eh, as of right now I'm a tinkerer. I am slowly, but surely figuring everything out about my swing and making small adjustments along the way until I find exactly where I need to be.

Enough about me, let's get the ball rolling...

7BMWBWx.gif

...with some glamour shots!

Qq3Yg63.jpg

p9AIarq.jpg

5McYnQy.gif

HGgrxyt.jpg

AVHGxoi.jpg

vlpW0n4.jpg

ZWfX1zk.jpg

dZSO4DC.jpg

One last shot, for science!

uPQ5WYD.jpg
  • Like 5

:ping-small: G400 Max

:ping-small: G410 3W

:ping-small: G410 3 & 4 Crossover

:ping-small: i200 5-PW

:vokey-small: Vokey SM7 | 52-56-60

:taylormade-small: Taylormade Spider X

So, I hear you all like balls. White balls. Yellow balls. Orange balls. Well today, I'm going to be telling you all about them, more specifically the Vice Pro Soft.

Ever since I read about Vice Golf and how they make premium balls that can compete with anything out there, without paying the inflated price, I had to give them a shot. However, the only way you can get that lower price is if you buy multiple dozen. UNLESS, you get lucky enough to be chosen as a tester, like I did. I was thrilled, I love trying out new equipment and testing new products. It's like a fun hobby. 

I started off comparing this ball to Callaway Chrome Softs, then compared it some others such as the Srixon Soft Feel and the Wilson Duo.. mainly because those are some other soft balls I have hanging out in my bag. I was ready for the competition!

The first thing I noticed when I opened the package was the matte white finish. Mmm mmm mmm, I like it. I know that it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is definitely different, and well, I like different. 

So if you like premium balls at a lower price and a matte finish, we're 2 for 2. 

Now, onto how they performed. I was very anxious to tee these up. After reading all of the characteristics of this ball: S2TG technology, 336 dimple design, and 3-piece cast urethane cover, I was ready to GRIP IT AND RIP IT! 

Unfortunately, to me, they were not as soft as I was expecting them to be. Especially compared to the Chrome Softs. *Note my swing speed, may be different for other golfers. They did however fly straight and long! Giggity.

Onto the greener side of things, they really performed around the greens. See what I did there? I was worried at first, they had some roll out to them during my first couple of rounds. My fault though. I decided to really test them to see what I could get them to do on the green when my round was over. I hit some from just off the fringe and moved back in increments to about 70 yards out and this is where they shined. Most shots were 1 or 2 bounces then stopped, respective of the distance to green. It felt great. This is where one of their claims to fame held up. 

Time to sink some putts.

Their KIL (Keep in Line) putting line looks great, one of the best I've seen on a ball. It's not really thin and it's not overly obnoxious. It's perfect. I did some testing with these versus the Wilson Staff Duo and the Chrome Softs. I had the balls placed at my putter, without my knowing which one it was, and rolled all three of them. I would say in this competition, the Vice was more similar to the WS Duo than the CS. It was soft. Very soft. 

Dirty balls, nobody likes them. 

After playing a few rounds with each of the balls I typically play, I compared how dirty they were at the end of the rounds as well as how easy they were to clean and get to look "like-new" again. In my experience, the Vice balls did not clean up as easily as the others. I think the matte finish is to blame for this, but I could be wrong. Or, maybe it's just how they appear in my eye as they don't like shiny when cleaned, so it could be a placebo effect. Just a minor thing, but like I said, nobody likes dirty balls. 

To wrap things up, the Vice Pro Soft was a hit and miss for me. There were certain things I liked about them, but also certain things that my current ball does better. Here is the TOTALLY RAD thing though. If you purchase 5+ dozen of these balls, you can get them for $24.95 a dozen. For that price, I'd say they're more than worth it. So, get a couple buddies to pitch in, buy several dozen to split, and let me know how they performed for you.

• Like 4

As of right now, my current ball is the Callaway ChromeSoft. To be totally honest, I started out playing Nike PD Softs a while back and was lucky enough to get some ChromeSofts to try out, and I never looked back. It's fun comparing your normal equipment against other new stuff out there, and this was an exciting showdown. 

My game can be very good one day and very random the next, so I made sure to get in a lot of testing with the Vice Pro Softs. Luckily I live in a small town of about 1,500 people and our local club is rarely ever busy. I am fortunate enough that I can go out whenever I want and play around without any hassle. It allows me to stop, drop a few balls, and test out how they react with different shots. I will usually play every Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and then most times another day or two throughout the week.

Performance

⦁ Distance: This is one area where the ball passed my expectations. It was surprisingly long and held it's line pretty well without any leaking too far left (my typical miss)

⦁ Consistency: Very predictable. There was never a time I was unsure of what the ball would do as long as my swing was what I wanted it to be.

⦁ Feel: Not as soft as the Chrome Soft, but not too firm to make you suspect it's a cheap ball. 

⦁ Carry vs Roll: The Vice Pro Soft has some great carry to it, I was able to hit some of my best drives with the VPS. 

Course Score: (45 of 50 points)

Performance Notes

⦁ This ball performed right around where I thought it would. I do not think it is a contender against my ChromeSoft, however, at the price point you can get it at (if you buy multiple dozen) it's a great ball. If you are able to buy several dozen and get these for $24.95, there is not a ball that will be it for that price.

Subjective

Looks & Durability

⦁ The matte finish is something unique that is starting to hit the market a lot more, it may not be for everyone, but I am a definite fan. 

⦁ The "Vice" scripture is also very appealing, it's not some plain font that you see on most other balls. It has some fancy to it. 

⦁ The "KIL" Keep In Line putting line is one thing that stands out. It allows you to easily line up your putts and not be to overwhelming on the ball. Very subtle, but very nice addition. 

Looks Score: (15 of 15 points)

Sound and Feel

⦁ Not as soft as my current gamer, but as I previously mentioned, it does not feel cheap. 

⦁ When struck with anything besides a putter, it has a dull-like sound to it. Feels and sounds just like any other soft ball when on the putting green. Nothing clicky like you get with some mid-range balls.

Sound and Feel Score: (10 of 15 points)

Likelihood of Purchase

⦁ At the price point of one dozen, $34.95 + shipping costs, I do not see myself buying just a single dozen. However, if I can talk some friends into testing some themselves, I would gladly buy several dozen and split the costs. You just can't beat the ball at the discounted price.

LOP Score: (18 of 20 points)

Subjective Notes

⦁ If you are looking for a premium ball that you can potentially get at a not-so-premium price, look no further. The ball performs well and looks ever better!

Conclusion & Final Score

⦁ I was very anxious to try out the Vice brand. I had always read about them and their premium balls shipped straight to you to cut out the middle man. It's an awesome selling point. Unfortunately I never got around to buying any. That being said, this testing I have done over the past couple weeks may make me eager to buy some in the future. I had my doubts at first. I thought "No way can this company compete with other premium ball brands such as Callaway, Titleist, Bridgestone, etc." I was wrong. Sorta. The balls did surprisingly well in the tests I was able to put them through. They were staight. They were long. They looked great. However, they were not as soft as I had hoped. I wanted it to be a serious contender for my Chrome Soft. It was a tough battle through and through, but I think they were defeated. But, don't let that stop you from trying any of Vice's balls. They just may the one you're looking for. 

Total Score: 88

• Like 3

• Handicap?  Index 4.1
  • Strengths of your game?  Wedge play
  • Weaknesses of your game?  Putting
  • Typical ball flight? Mid - high
  • Typical miss?  Left
  • Current ball?  Snell, MTB
  • Swing tempo?  Fast
  • Driver swing speed?  105 mph
  • Video of swing?  
  • What makes you love the game?  I have always loved a challenge and 53 years later, the challenge still exists.
  • How long have you been golfing?  53 years
  • What kind of golfer are you?  Way too competitive and not nearly as good as I want be or used to think I was.  But I'm OK with that.  Golf is more fun with a smile than gritted teeth.
  • What's your story?  I began playing at age 5 when a 9-hole course opened in my hometown.  Quickly 4 of us became daily players and won a state championship in high school. One of those friends played on tour for years, and all of us played college golf.  We are still good friends which is perhaps one of the greatest stories of golf.  It builds relationships.
  • What is in your bag?
    • Cobra AMP Cell Driver
    • TaylorMade Burner 3-wood
    • Cobra 19 degree hybrid
    • Cobra ProS3 4-P
    • Vokey SPM 52, 56 and 60
    • Odyssey White Hot #9
  • How did you choose them?  Aesthetics and feel, demos, trial and error.
  • What region do you play out of?  Iowa , midwest US
  • Are you a tinkerer or a set and forget it type?  I am a novice club builder so, for myself, I'm a tinkerer.  But with limits.  I'm much more likely to try a different club than make an adjustment to a club.

Vice1.jpg

Vice2.jpg

Vice3.jpg

• Like 3

PING i-20 Driver, 8.5 degree, stiff

TaylorMade Burner 2.0 3-wood, 15 degree, stiff

TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Hybrid, 18 degree, stiff

Cobra Pro S3 4-P Dynamic Gold S-300

Vokey SPM 52, 56 & 60

Boccieri N1-L

Snell My Tour Ball

Stage 2:

I have had my review done for a few days and wanted to include some pictures that I kept forgetting to have taken.  I doubt any photos I would include would vary significantly from what my fellow testers have posted, so I am going with my review only.

About Me and How I Play

I am a competitive person and I can get upset when I do not play well.  I am wrestling with some significant changes in my game.  I am 58 years old and the loss of distance that I have experienced in the past 4 or 5 years is troubling.  I used to be one of “the big hitters.”  Now I “play pretty well for a guy my age.” The toughest thing about this is the inconsistency.  Some days a good 7-iron will go 155 yds.  Some days maybe 145.  I never know.  And it is very different from the 170 I used to hit it.

Even with these changes, I still want to play well, but the target seems to move.  I know I am unlikely to win another club championship, but I should still always break 80, shouldn't I?  Apparently not.  The competitor that resides within gets steamed, while the rational person that lives next to the competitor realizes that a bad day golfing is better than many things.  Rarely the score adds up to something even par or better.  Too often it doesn't.  But I love the game, am addicted, or both, and am always excited for the next opportunity to play.

This ball seems to be marginally longer off of the tee than the Snell MTB.  Marginally.  While I did not use a tape measure to confirm this, off of the tee I was playing from places very similar to where I usually play, but perhaps a half-club closer to the green.  With my irons, I could detect no discernable difference in length.

The ball seemed to stay in the air longer, but again I would say the difference was marginal.  I hit some knock-down shots where the ball produced the desired flight.  To me it can be hit by good players and produce the result they want for the shot being played.  It is very difficult to measure roll parameters because it is currently so wet in our area that more balls plug than bounce at this time. Most people would prefer to see more roll on our course.  A lot of run will rarely cause issues.

It hit it pretty straight in general and the trajectory and flight path matched what I see in my usual game.  This was true on full shots and less-than-full “feel” shots like pitching and chipping. I did chip-in once the first round I played with it, so it must be true, right?

The Vice Pro Soft feels fantastic off of all of my clubs.  Even though the feel was favorable, I could not get this ball to spin with my wedges like I can with either the Snell MTB or the Titleist Pro V1. This is a big issue and shows in the course score.  The ball also felt solid off of the putter face.  I will say that the ball feels strange when you hold it.  The matte finish is very different, at least in the realm of “tour” balls.  But I actually liked this more as I played it.

Course Score: 42

Looks & Durability

The jungle / wild cats look is aggressive, and new golf equipment needs this type of marketing.  The matte finish is unique.  I found the ball to be very durable. And the matte finish makes the number of holes played with the ball harder to detect visually.  This ball compares favorably with other “tour” balls and deserves consideration in that segment.  My wedges tend to be hard on the surface of the balls I play.  Either the Vice Pro Soft is very durable, or I simply was not hitting my wedges crisp.  That is certainly possible, but seems unlikely to have persisted as I worked my way through the entire dozen.

Looks Score: 13

Sound and Feel

The ball feels similar to other “tour” balls off of all of my clubs.  Crisp is a good word.  And the sound the ball produces off of the driver where it is most noticeable is solid.  My playing partners commented on it several times in different rounds.  The sound didn't change my reaction other than to elicit the joy that a solidly struck shot can produce.

Sound and Feel Score: 13

Likelihood of Purchase

The price of the Vice Pro Soft is outstanding.  I am unlikely to move away from the Snell MTB as my “gamer” because of the lack of spin produced in my short game.  I'll gladly continue to spend slightly more for that capability.  But I will almost certainly buy the Vice Pro Soft in small quantities.

LOP Score: 16

Conclusion & Final Score

I am a serious golfer who thinks the OEMs are becoming the enemy.  Golf is an expensive game and it seems to get worse with each new generation of equipment.  I am grateful to MyGolfSpy for shining the light on equipment like direct market golf balls, and the Vice Pro Soft.  This is a very good golf ball and when you factor in the price, it may in fact be a great golf ball.  It feels good, sounds great, and is easily worth what they are charging.  I don't believe anyone but the most elite amateur players and touring professionals are capable of distinguishing the subtle differences between this ball and “the #1 ball on tour.”  So why pay for that undetectable difference?  While I had difficulty getting the ball to spin, others may not.  As I said earlier, I believe it can be hit by good players and produce the result they want for the shot being played.  It is definitely belongs in the conversation for those who want a high performance ball.

Total Score: 84

• Like 2

Vokey SPM 52, 56 & 60

Boccieri N1-L

Snell My Tour Ball

Stage 3 Placeholder

Vokey SPM 52, 56 & 60

Boccieri N1-L

Snell My Tour Ball

I know which ball you use/prefer is more of a personal choice but what balls come most recommended that have been tested, currently working my way though my last box of pro Vs but when they're gone I'm switching to the ChromeSoft Truvia any other recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I know which ball you use/prefer is more of a personal choice but what balls come most recommended that have been tested, currently working my way though my last box of pro Vs but when they're gone I'm switching to the ChromeSoft Truvia any other recommendations?

I know Snell and Kirkland Signatures have been getting lots of praise lately. You may look into them. Also, the Srixon Q or Z stars are highly recommended balls.

• Like 1

Stage 1 Placeholder

● Handicap? (Or average score)

● Handicap 15

● Strengths of your game?

● I always be positive. My mid irons are oke.

● Weakness of your game?

● Don't hit the ball always in the center, so my ballstrike

doesn't always go in the right direction. I have to work on my short game, 10-60 meter shots.

● Typical ball flight?

● Low ball flight.

● Typical miss?

● Heel strike

● Current Ball?

● Pinnacle Lady

● Swing tempo?

● Moderate

● Driver swing speed?

● My driver swingspeed is about 78-83 mph

● Video of swing?

● https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV-NEZXubcg

● https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvOsKQ8hZkQ

● What makes you love the game?

● I love golf, since my first step on the golf course and hitting my first golfball on the range. From that moment, golf went through my vines.

Golf is a ticket to freedom. Being outdoors in nature while practicing this sport makes your heart beat faster. The deer, rabbits and other animals see and hear give you a privileged feeling. Striving for perfection, but it's never perfect.

● How long have you been golfing?

● I was 20 years when I started with golf (2008), after a few years of chronical Lyme Disease. I played golf for 5 years whereafter the Lyme came back. For 4 years I had chronical Lyme Disease again and couldn't do anything. Since this year, 2017, my health is become much better, so I started again with golf. I love this sport, so I can't without it. My energy isn't already 100%, so I have to take it easy, but when I feel good, I play some golf!!

● What kind of golfer are you?

● I'm a very fanatic golfer. I always push myself to the limit. I'll become a better golfer. I want to become a single handicapper. As long as I'm not a single handicapper, I'm nog satisfied.

I'm so addicted to golf that I can't a day without golf. Though it isn't golf by myself, then it is read about it, watch movies and talk about it.

● What's your story?

● Been playing for about 5 years. Playing handicap 15. I'm very addicted to golf. In The Netherlands (Europe) there are less women's golfers, particularly of my age. I hope to inspire some girls/women's between 20 and 35 also to play this lovely sport. Ever since I start playing golf, the game has been running through my veins. I would like to bring my handicap down to a single handicap.

● What is in your bag?

Driver:

King Cobra Speed LD Offset M12.0 – Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara Lite Flex shaft 12 degrees (2007)

Houten:

King Cobra Speed LD Offset 3 wood – Aldila HL65 Lite Flex shaft (2007)

Hybrides:

-

IJzers:

King Cobra FP 5-sw – Aldila HL65 Lite Flex shaft (2007)

Wedges:

-

Putter:

Odyssey White Hot XG Teron (2007)

Golfbal:

Pinnacle Lady

This year I want to buy new irons, hybrid, woods and a driver (fitted golf clubs, now I play with a standard set of Cobra from 2007). This Cobra set is suitable for about handicap 18 or higher.

I also want to play with a fitted golfball, maybe this Vice Pro Soft is perfect for me.We'll see……

● How did you choose them?

● I purchased these clubs following the advice of a man in a golf shop.

● What region do you play out of?

● I play in my area in Northern of The Nerhetlands.

● Are you a tinkerer or a set and forget it type?

● I'm definitely a tinkerer golfer.

Very good photos and welcome to the forum

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade M6 10.5*

FW: Sub70 16* 4 wood

Irons:  Sub 70 

699 Pro - 3 Iron (4 iron bent to 20*)

639 CB 4 - 6

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges:

Cleveland RTX 3 50*

Titleist Vokey SM7 54* & 60*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport II Teryllium T22 
Ball: Titleist Pro V1
Bag: Sub 70 Cart Bag
Handicap index:  +2.1

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Great start guys and gals!! Foz, I would love to hit a hickory stick, never seen one in person yet. And Manjagolf, I am glad you are doing better health wise. You have a great swing Everyone of you had interesting stories to tell and I thank you for sharing them with us I almost forgot why you were here, to review these Vice golf balls

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

WITB:

Driver:   :cobra-small: F9 driver 9* stiff shaft 

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* regular shaft

Hybrids:  :nike-small: Vapor Flex  3 & 4 hybrids regular shafts 

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Ben Hogan BHB01 blade

Ball:  :Snell: Black

Bag: 2015 Ogio Chamber Cart Bag & 2018 MyGolfSpy Stand Bag

Hi Spies,

Stage 1 is up and the competition is under way.

Thanks Vice and MGS for letting me test these balls.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?/topic/19001-OFFICIAL-FORUM-MEMBER-REVIEW---VICE-PRO-SOFT-GOLF-BALLS&do=findComment&comment=271025

Tazz

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

• Like 2

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

I have seriously wanted to look into these golf balls as they seem to provide great performance for the dollar value. 

• Like 1

I was chosen for the review of these golf balls and never received a PM or the golf balls. I am new to MGS, but an avid WRXer. Any help guys?

Driver: Callaway GBB 9* w/ Aldila Rogue RIP I/O Silver 60S
FW: Cobra F7 15.5* w/ Fujikura Pro Stiff
Hybrid: Titleist 915H 20* Aldila Rogue Black 85S Hybrid
Irons: Taylormade 2011 TP MC 4-7 / MB 8-PW KBS Tour 120S
Wedges: Vokey SM6 51* 55* 59* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Flatstick: Scotty Cameron Futura X7M 35.25"

I was chosen for the review of these golf balls and never received a PM or the golf balls. I am new to MGS, but an avid WRXer. Any help guys?

Did you contact one of the moderators about it ?

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver:  :cobra-small: F8 10.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 SEL Project X 5.5 shafts 5-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB Project X 5.5 shaft 4 Iron

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag:  :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z*Star