TESTERS WANTED! ×

POLL: What's your putting grip?

StrokerAce

What's your putting grip?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. What grip do you use when putting? (feel free to elaborate below as well)

• Traditional/dominant hand low
    • Non dominant hand low (Left for righties/right for lefties)
    • Pencil/Paintbrush/Claw
    • Something else
    • I putt opposite of what I swing the club (putt lefty/swing righty or vice-versa)

Mike Malaska has a pretty good youtube series and he mentioned that the "flat" part of the superstroke grip would be better if it didn't align with the top of the club but to the side that you putt with (right side for righty and left for lefty)

Not sure I agree with your right handed or left handed. I think it is better stated as the side you use to control putter motion. I am right handed but use my left side to control the putter In a shoulder or arms only stroke your statement might be true. I have also heard advocation for round grips to prevent the person from trying to control the release of the putter based on feeling the flat portion of the grip. Lots of theories on how to putt. All probably work but you need to understand the impact of making the change; just like a full swing change.

Regarding the poll question. I was left hand low a couple of weeks ago switched back to traditional, but will probably go back to left hand low.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I agree with your right handed or left handed. I think it is better stated as the side you use to control putter motion. I am right handed but use my left side to control the putter In a shoulder or arms only stroke your statement might be true. I have also heard advocation for round grips to prevent the person from trying to control the release of the putter based on feeling the flat portion of the grip. Lots of theories on how to putt. All probably work but you need to understand the impact of making the change; just like a full swing change.

Regarding the poll question. I was left hand low a couple of weeks ago switched back to traditional, but will probably go back to left hand low.

good point!  I think what he was getting at is that you can utilize the flat part of the grip to kind of "feel" where the face of the putter is at impact.  Not sure I totally buy it but thought it was certainly an interesting take.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I'm finding that I am equally poor at putting no matter what grip I use, I need to use a DP for putting, much the same way a pitcher uses a DH in baseball.

Right hand low seems to allow me to make better contact, but I struggle getting it started on line with that grip. Standard grip I struggle with getting good contact all the time, but I get it started on line. Maybe I'll switch to one Handed putting.

A few years back when I was in a very dark place with the flat stick, I putted one handed. It was only for putts inside 12-15 feet but it was effective. The funny thing is, the hand I putted with my right (dominant) hand. It actually helped me putt better in the long run and gave me some confidence. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Switched to left hand low last year and have seen drastic improvements to my putting. Feel like it helps me keep the face square

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

When you use a lead hand low grip, it creates more angle in the trail wrist.  That's a good thing.  It's always easier to hold more angle in your wrist than less angle.  If you have no angle in the trail wrist, it's easier for the trail wrist to break down on the backswing and followthrough, thus flipping.

However, I could never get comfortable with lead hand low grip.  I use a traditional grip but with a forward press which sets an angle in my trail wrist.  I swing the handle; not the club head.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Used a traditional interlock putting grip for years. Until last year!

Made the switch the claw grip (I'm a right handed golfer). And it's easily one of the best decisions I've made for my short game. My makes just started going up as soon as I made the switch. Proximity to the hole was improved drastically on putts outside for 25ft.

I believe the claw grip helped me quiet my hands during my stroke allowing for better feel and improved accuracy. Was getting the ball on line more consistently.

Interesting how we're seeing more and more tour pros make the switch to the claw.

CoryRondeau

Hmm... Maybe I'll give one of these other putting styles a try again as I'm a terrible putter. It can't get any worse at the moment, right?! Lol

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I have a fairly traditional putting grip but of all the bizarre things I interlock with the putter.  I remember the first time that I did it - first green Town and Country Golf course in Sheboygan Wisconsin - no practice - no rationale, my putting was in a slump so I tried something different.  I can't even recall whether I made or missed just that I needed a change and that seemed to be that.  It was prior to moving to Florida so about twelve years ago.

It must have worked because I'm only on my third putter since then and putter number two was in the bag for ten of those years.  I only switched because of the EVNRoll test.  That puppy has stayed in the bag.

I use a mid sized grip - there have been a variety of them on my putters as I switch grips about every two years and tend to go with the one I get a good buy on.  I have another midsized waiting in the wings at home but the current one is only about six months old.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Standard. That's how I learned and haven't felt the need to change.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I have used the claw for last two years. Much improved over traditional. I think it forces me to get my eyes over the ball.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I've tried claw so many times, I want it to work but I can't get it down. When I bring the putter back, it gets a little crazy and goes off line. Feels almost as if I'm putting one handed. Any tips?

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Hmm... Maybe I'll give one of these other putting styles a try again as I'm a terrible putter. It can't get any worse at the moment, right?! Lol

MDGolfHacker

I used to push putts all the time with the standard grip. Left hand low took me some carpet putting and one round to get used to it. After that I never looked back.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

Been a cross handed putter since the late 1980's  Nowadays, they call it left hand low?

Used to use the Tiger Shark grips until the USGA made them illegal and have finally settled on the Super Stroke flatso 2.0

Jim, the retired GC Superintendent

Jim the retired Golf Course Superintendent

Can we get a photo of this? To see what it looks like.

Sorry I couldn't get the pic taken today as my wife was playing golf and I was out running errands.   I'm playing golf tomorrow so I will have one of my buds take a quick couple of shots with my phone and post it

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Been a cross handed putter since the late 1980's  Nowadays, they call it left hand low?

Used to use the Tiger Shark grips until the USGA made them illegal and have finally settled on the Super Stroke flatso 2.0

Jim, the retired GC Superintendent

Hi Jim - I see you're from Plainville; I used to live in North Attleboro and am now up the highway in Franklin.

Any chance you worked at either Wentworth Hills or Heather Hill?  Those are the 2 Plainville courses I can think of.

Welcome to MyGolfSpy!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I will leave this alone. If you read this the wrong way it could be interesting.

LOL !

Cleveland

I'm gonna have to google tiger shark grips. I can't remember those or why they were made illegal.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I use left hand high, right hand low. But, what I'd like to try is interlocking all my fingers. That way everything is square and lined up. Feels good when I try it without a putter. Bad part is, I'm not sure they make a grip big enough to actually try it and I have small hands.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I use a superstroke flatso 3.0 on a face balanced putter, I overlap 2 fingers and try to put my thumbs side by side as much as it is comfortable. This keeps my shoulders nearly the same height and neutral, my thought is keeping my thumbs moving perpendicular toward the target. It feels kind of like cheating because the ball starts on the line I am looking at each time, I just have to dial in feel. I am a mechanical putter and this got me to forget about mechanics after setup

Here ya go with pics of my grip as requested:

IMG_2083.JPG

IMG_2084.JPG

IMG_2085.JPG

Cleveland

I am a traditional gripmputter. Maybe the only thing different, is like Ole Grey, I use a pretty strong right hand.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Here ya go with pics of my grip as requested:

IMG_2083.JPG

IMG_2084.JPG

IMG_2085.JPG

Ole gray:

Tried that grip style a few weeks ago, just didn't feel comfortable for me and didn't see much of a change distance and line wise. Could of given it a few more chances, but I just decided to go back to what's comfortable and figure out why my putting stroke sucked. Realized I was decelerating and not swinging through the ball (which is true of my swings on the irons and woods as well). Worked on that yesterday and saw a bit of improvement in terms of less three putts and more par saves.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Ole gray:

Tried that grip style a few weeks ago, just didn't feel comfortable for me and didn't see much of a change distance and line wise. Could of given it a few more chances, but I just decided to go back to what's comfortable and figure out why my putting stroke sucked. Realized I was decelerating and not swinging through the ball (which is true of my swings on the irons and woods as well). Worked on that yesterday and saw a bit of improvement in terms of less three putts and more par saves.

MDGolfHacker

You got to find something that you are totally comfortable with and rollthat rock.... One thing that's helping me is I'm able to lag long putts much better which has cut down my 3 putts. Anyways do what works and get that sucker in the hole as quick as possible!

Cleveland

Archived