TESTERS WANTED! ×

POLL: What's your putting grip?

StrokerAce

What's your putting grip?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. What grip do you use when putting? (feel free to elaborate below as well)

• Traditional/dominant hand low
    • Non dominant hand low (Left for righties/right for lefties)
    • Pencil/Paintbrush/Claw
    • Something else
    • I putt opposite of what I swing the club (putt lefty/swing righty or vice-versa)

I use the claw grip- really helps me with the club path- before I was very rounded, taking it back on the inside and swinging it around. The claw helped me go straight back and straight forward and not have my hips involved .. Dropped strokes off my game with this grip for sure

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

KB

Cobra LS - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7x

Cobra F9 3w- Fujikura Tour Spec 2.0 8x

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW

Taylormade Hi-Toe 50,54, 58 wedges 

Evnroll ER2

Ohio

6 handicap 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did it feel like your swingweight changed at all?

- Alan

nothing that I could notice one way or the other.  I didn't have a big SuperStroke type grip on before ... just a regular paddle style.

if anything it allowed me to feel the putter head better..

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

• 2 weeks later...

Standard with my index finger running down the shaft. I've always done this and I don't know why lol

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I actually just switched to the claw a few weeks ago.  I had the traditional grip ever since I started playing golf, but it got to the point where I couldn't hit my line and I couldn't even feel confident over a 3 footer.  I went out and started practicing a little before a skins game I was playing in and decided to tinker with the claw grip.  I immediately felt more control over where the putts were going, so I played that skins game with it.  I rolled in 6 birdies that day and walked away with 9 of the skins in the group since we were playing carry-overs.  I've stuck with it ever since. 

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

I actually just switched to the claw a few weeks ago.  I had the traditional grip ever since I started playing golf, but it got to the point where I couldn't hit my line and I couldn't even feel confident over a 3 footer.  I went out and started practicing a little before a skins game I was playing in and decided to tinker with the claw grip.  I immediately felt more control over where the putts were going, so I played that skins game with it.  I rolled in 6 birdies that day and walked away with 9 of the skins in the group since we were playing carry-overs.  I've stuck with it ever since. 

I also switched to the claw a several weeks back and it now feels natural.  I automatically grab the putter in that manner and I haven't even thought about conventional since the move. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I immediately felt more control over where the putts were going,

That was my experience, too. I have found that distance control is a bit more of a struggle unless I have a lot of time on the practice green.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

well I am standard.  have no reason why other than its what I always have done.  messed around with left hand low and claw but just stroking a few putts each on the putting green.  Standard feels natural and I putt great with it.  not very interesting I know. 

I AM A GOOD PUTTER

I AM A GOOD PUTTER

I AM A GOOD PUTTER

I AM A GOOD PUTTER
I AM A GOOD PUTTER

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

i do a mixture of things, i do have my dominate hand low, but i also extend my index finger on my right hand (dominate) down the length of the putter grip,  I find that when i do this it has stopped any wrist action and forces me to use my full arm/body instead of the hands. 

Also i have added in exhaling before i make my putting stroke. it sound crazy but i'm way more accurate since i've started doing this. It helps relax the body and keep things still. 

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has their right index finger pointed down running along the grip. Have no idea why I do it just feels comfortable. Just got the black spider putter and the stock grip is too small. Thinking about getting the straight (blue) golf Pride snsr grip instead of the SS

i do a mixture of things, i do have my dominate hand low, but i also extend my index finger on my right hand (dominate) down the length of the putter grip, I find that when i do this it has stopped any wrist action and forces me to use my full arm/body instead of the hands.

Also i have added in exhaling before i make my putting stroke. it sound crazy but i'm way more accurate since i've started doing this. It helps relax the body and keep things still.

Funny you mention that - the exhale .. I've found that for me I do better with a slight inhale to start the putting stroke... It seems to help me move the club back more smoothly, vs getting a little "lifty" and handsy with it.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Funny you mention that - the exhale .. I've found that for me I do better with a slight inhale to start the putting stroke... It seems to help me move the club back more smoothly, vs getting a little "lifty" and handsy with it.

What ever works best for you is the right thing to do, that's what I always say..

it is actually a very common and proven method that the exhale helps calm and steady your body. Marksmen/snipers use this method when shooting. 

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has their right index finger pointed down running along the grip. Have no idea why I do it just feels comfortable. Just got the black spider putter and the stock grip is too small. Thinking about getting the straight (blue) golf Pride snsr grip instead of the SS

i have the super stroke 2.0 long grip as i don't like my index finger running off the grip. I am debating on switching over the the super stroke 2.0 flat instead. my buddy has this grip and i love the feel of it. 

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

I have experimented with left hand low and claw, but never really felt they were any better for me. Might try them again, I often miss putts left by pulling them. These grips might help me be more SBST when putting... or not

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Back before I got on the oversized grip path, I used a modified claw style grip. Ever since making the switch to non-taped oversized grips I've gone back to a conventional style, but an all 10 fingers grip, no overlap or finger down the shaft.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

• 2 months later...

I used the Seve grip described in this video as the basis for my grip:

However it has evolved to look a lot like Jordan Spieth's (albeit without the alternate hands). I use thicker superstroke grips and I've managed to bring my thumbs almost side-by-side so that my shoulders are flatter.

Left hand low. Best move I made as a golfer

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Left hand low. Best move I made as a golfer

Golf magazine has LHL instruction this month - or for us lefties Right Hand Low.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I switched to the claw.  It's been the best way for me to take my wrists out of it.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

I wasn't a huge fan of the round putter grip on my Edel. Just re-gripped it with a Garsen Max and switched to the Claw grip. That grip is made for the Garsen Max. Holy cow I am dead on the money with this thing now! Who would have thought that lining up where you think you are then striking it there could improve your putting?!  :D

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

My hands are in the traditional position, but I have a slightly unconventional grip... To start, my right, dominant hand, is low (traditional). Now here is where the unconventional comes in... I've seen some people talking about positioning their index finger down the grip/shaft, BUT it always seems to be referencing the low hand. I run my index finger down the grip on my high hand and keep my low hand index finger in a more conventional position (although I will sometimes run both index fingers down the grip/shaft on short putts).

Don't remember why or when I switched to this grip, but I've been using it for years with good results. It is also worth noting that I am still using a traditional sized pistol grip, I have tried larger SuperStroke style putter grips and have zero feel for my putts.

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

I just ordered the P2 react Tour grip yesterday. Anyone tried them yet. Some solid tech ideas in them.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I went with a claw grip this year and won't be changing anytime soon!! I had a severe problem

With my right hand getting too involved and the claw took him

right out of the equation! I use a superstroke flatso

I'm kind of like a Jordan Spieth grip only instead of left hand low my left hand is at the top of the grip and the first hand on the club. My right hand grips my left with my middle and pinkie fingers, my middle and pointer are on the grip. I use a SS 3.0 flatso so my thumbs are next to each other and my pointer has a gap from my middle finger. I also do a small forward press.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My hands are in the traditional position, but I have a slightly unconventional grip... To start, my right, dominant hand, is low (traditional). Now here is where the unconventional comes in... I've seen some people talking about positioning their index finger down the grip/shaft, BUT it always seems to be referencing the low hand. I run my index finger down the grip on my high hand and keep my low hand index finger in a more conventional position (although I will sometimes run both index fingers down the grip/shaft on short putts).

Don't remember why or when I switched to this grip, but I've been using it for years with good results. It is also worth noting that I am still using a traditional sized pistol grip, I have tried larger SuperStroke style putter grips and have zero feel for my putts.

So.... It turns out I'm a liar... I was putting in the house last night and realized that my grip actually isn't what I said it is! When I address a putt, I start with only my left hand (upper hand) on the grip, which DOES include my left index finger running down the grip... But I realized that I am unconsciously moving that finger back to a conventional high hand grip when my low hand is going on the shaft.. My putting grip is so ingrained that I wouldn't have realized this little tidbit if I hadn't been thinking about it during my putting! My low hand index finger will still find it's way onto the shaft 50% of the time though...

It's funny that what you think you do isn't always what you do!

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

Archived