POLL: What's your putting grip?

StrokerAce

What's your putting grip?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. What grip do you use when putting? (feel free to elaborate below as well)

• Traditional/dominant hand low
    • Non dominant hand low (Left for righties/right for lefties)
    • Pencil/Paintbrush/Claw
    • Something else
    • I putt opposite of what I swing the club (putt lefty/swing righty or vice-versa)

I use the claw grip- really helps me with the club path- before I was very rounded, taking it back on the inside and swinging it around. The claw helped me go straight back and straight forward and not have my hips involved .. Dropped strokes off my game with this grip for sure

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

KB

Cobra F9 - Fujikura Ventus  7x  cut to 43.75

Cobra F9 - Fujijura Ventus 8x

Taylormade 2UDI - Graphite Design Tour DI

Taylormade P760 4 iron X100

Taylormade P7-TW 5-PW- DGX100 

Taylormade 52,58,64 wedges 

Ohio

6 handicap 

Did it feel like your swingweight changed at all?

- Alan

• Like 1

Did it feel like your swingweight changed at all?

- Alan

nothing that I could notice one way or the other.  I didn't have a big SuperStroke type grip on before ... just a regular paddle style.

if anything it allowed me to feel the putter head better..

• Like 1

(D) G410 LST | (3) SpeedZone Big Tour | (5) TM Sim Max | (H) Titleist 818 H2 | (I) Z785 | (W) ZipCore | (P) Cleveland Premier HB 11

• 2 weeks later...

Standard with my index finger running down the shaft. I've always done this and I don't know why lol

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

DRIVER:                  :mizuno-small:  ST190, 10.5*, Fujikura  Atmos Black Tour Spec 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Wrap, midsize

HYBRIDS:    :adams-small:    Pro  2 hybrid 16*, Aldila Tour Red 75g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip 

:mizuno-small:           JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip                                  

IRONS:            :cobra-small:    King Forged Tour 4i-pw, KBS FLT, shafts, stiff,  Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

WEDGES:        rsz_scor-golf-logo.png        50, 55, 60 degree wedges with Genius 12 stiff flex,   Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

PUTTER:       :odyssey-small:    O-Works Marksman 33.5", Superstroke 1.0 Flatso grip w/ 50g counter core

BALL:          :bridgestone-small: Tour B X                                                     

BAG:          :Ogio:              Cirrus Golf Bag 

Shoes:              Skechers                  Hexgo Control  Shoes

I actually just switched to the claw a few weeks ago.  I had the traditional grip ever since I started playing golf, but it got to the point where I couldn't hit my line and I couldn't even feel confident over a 3 footer.  I went out and started practicing a little before a skins game I was playing in and decided to tinker with the claw grip.  I immediately felt more control over where the putts were going, so I played that skins game with it.  I rolled in 6 birdies that day and walked away with 9 of the skins in the group since we were playing carry-overs.  I've stuck with it ever since. 

• Like 2

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

I actually just switched to the claw a few weeks ago.  I had the traditional grip ever since I started playing golf, but it got to the point where I couldn't hit my line and I couldn't even feel confident over a 3 footer.  I went out and started practicing a little before a skins game I was playing in and decided to tinker with the claw grip.  I immediately felt more control over where the putts were going, so I played that skins game with it.  I rolled in 6 birdies that day and walked away with 9 of the skins in the group since we were playing carry-overs.  I've stuck with it ever since. 

I also switched to the claw a several weeks back and it now feels natural.  I automatically grab the putter in that manner and I haven't even thought about conventional since the move. 

• Like 1

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey 
 ODYSSEY ARM-LOCK 2-BALL TEN 

I immediately felt more control over where the putts were going,

That was my experience, too. I have found that distance control is a bit more of a struggle unless I have a lot of time on the practice green.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 10.5* (set at 8.5*) Tensei CK Orange
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x Pix
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

2021 Test - Callaway Epic Speed

well I am standard.  have no reason why other than its what I always have done.  messed around with left hand low and claw but just stroking a few putts each on the putting green.  Standard feels natural and I putt great with it.  not very interesting I know. 

I AM A GOOD PUTTER

I AM A GOOD PUTTER

I AM A GOOD PUTTER

I AM A GOOD PUTTER
I AM A GOOD PUTTER

• Like 2

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

i do a mixture of things, i do have my dominate hand low, but i also extend my index finger on my right hand (dominate) down the length of the putter grip,  I find that when i do this it has stopped any wrist action and forces me to use my full arm/body instead of the hands. 

Also i have added in exhaling before i make my putting stroke. it sound crazy but i'm way more accurate since i've started doing this. It helps relax the body and keep things still. 

• Like 2

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has their right index finger pointed down running along the grip. Have no idea why I do it just feels comfortable. Just got the black spider putter and the stock grip is too small. Thinking about getting the straight (blue) golf Pride snsr grip instead of the SS

• Like 1

i do a mixture of things, i do have my dominate hand low, but i also extend my index finger on my right hand (dominate) down the length of the putter grip, I find that when i do this it has stopped any wrist action and forces me to use my full arm/body instead of the hands.

Also i have added in exhaling before i make my putting stroke. it sound crazy but i'm way more accurate since i've started doing this. It helps relax the body and keep things still.

Funny you mention that - the exhale .. I've found that for me I do better with a slight inhale to start the putting stroke... It seems to help me move the club back more smoothly, vs getting a little "lifty" and handsy with it.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Funny you mention that - the exhale .. I've found that for me I do better with a slight inhale to start the putting stroke... It seems to help me move the club back more smoothly, vs getting a little "lifty" and handsy with it.

What ever works best for you is the right thing to do, that's what I always say..

it is actually a very common and proven method that the exhale helps calm and steady your body. Marksmen/snipers use this method when shooting. 

• Like 1

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has their right index finger pointed down running along the grip. Have no idea why I do it just feels comfortable. Just got the black spider putter and the stock grip is too small. Thinking about getting the straight (blue) golf Pride snsr grip instead of the SS

i have the super stroke 2.0 long grip as i don't like my index finger running off the grip. I am debating on switching over the the super stroke 2.0 flat instead. my buddy has this grip and i love the feel of it. 

• Like 1

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

I have experimented with left hand low and claw, but never really felt they were any better for me. Might try them again, I often miss putts left by pulling them. These grips might help me be more SBST when putting... or not

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Back before I got on the oversized grip path, I used a modified claw style grip. Ever since making the switch to non-taped oversized grips I've gone back to a conventional style, but an all 10 fingers grip, no overlap or finger down the shaft.

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX119 18* Hybrid, Projext X Evenflow Blue, 6.0

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

🤮⛳   Flo-C

:titelist-small: Pro V1X, 2021 Model, #33

• 2 months later...

I used the Seve grip described in this video as the basis for my grip:

However it has evolved to look a lot like Jordan Spieth's (albeit without the alternate hands). I use thicker superstroke grips and I've managed to bring my thumbs almost side-by-side so that my shoulders are flatter.

Left hand low. Best move I made as a golfer

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Super Hybrid 17*, Aldila RIP Alpha 105 S, tipped 1”

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All clubs have :Arccos:  In the Winn Dri-Tac 2.0 Oversize grips

Left hand low. Best move I made as a golfer

Golf magazine has LHL instruction this month - or for us lefties Right Hand Low.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel