GolfSpy Stroker

POLL: What's your putting grip?

What's your putting grip?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. What grip do you use when putting? (feel free to elaborate below as well)

• Traditional/dominant hand low
    • Non dominant hand low (Left for righties/right for lefties)
    • Pencil/Paintbrush/Claw
    • Something else
    • I putt opposite of what I swing the club (putt lefty/swing righty or vice-versa)

Our Sponsors

I switched to the claw.  It's been the best way for me to take my wrists out of it.

Driver: PXG 0811 X Gen 2
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

I wasn't a huge fan of the round putter grip on my Edel. Just re-gripped it with a Garsen Max and switched to the Claw grip. That grip is made for the Garsen Max. Holy cow I am dead on the money with this thing now! Who would have thought that lining up where you think you are then striking it there could improve your putting?!  :D

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

My hands are in the traditional position, but I have a slightly unconventional grip... To start, my right, dominant hand, is low (traditional). Now here is where the unconventional comes in... I've seen some people talking about positioning their index finger down the grip/shaft, BUT it always seems to be referencing the low hand. I run my index finger down the grip on my high hand and keep my low hand index finger in a more conventional position (although I will sometimes run both index fingers down the grip/shaft on short putts).

Don't remember why or when I switched to this grip, but I've been using it for years with good results. It is also worth noting that I am still using a traditional sized pistol grip, I have tried larger SuperStroke style putter grips and have zero feel for my putts.

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 6X Blue
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :odyssey-small: Metal-X Milled #2
Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS

I am traditional hand placement but have a tank cruiser so I love the counterbalance.

The thing I feel is most important is a grip that feels comfortable, then double checking that your shoulders are square with a mirror and eyes over the line or just inside.

Sent from my XT1254 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I just ordered the P2 react Tour grip yesterday. Anyone tried them yet. Some solid tech ideas in them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I went with a claw grip this year and won't be changing anytime soon!! I had a severe problem

With my right hand getting too involved and the claw took him

right out of the equation! I use a superstroke flatso

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I'm kind of like a Jordan Spieth grip only instead of left hand low my left hand is at the top of the grip and the first hand on the club. My right hand grips my left with my middle and pinkie fingers, my middle and pointer are on the grip. I use a SS 3.0 flatso so my thumbs are next to each other and my pointer has a gap from my middle finger. I also do a small forward press.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My hands are in the traditional position, but I have a slightly unconventional grip... To start, my right, dominant hand, is low (traditional). Now here is where the unconventional comes in... I've seen some people talking about positioning their index finger down the grip/shaft, BUT it always seems to be referencing the low hand. I run my index finger down the grip on my high hand and keep my low hand index finger in a more conventional position (although I will sometimes run both index fingers down the grip/shaft on short putts).

Don't remember why or when I switched to this grip, but I've been using it for years with good results. It is also worth noting that I am still using a traditional sized pistol grip, I have tried larger SuperStroke style putter grips and have zero feel for my putts.

So.... It turns out I'm a liar... I was putting in the house last night and realized that my grip actually isn't what I said it is! When I address a putt, I start with only my left hand (upper hand) on the grip, which DOES include my left index finger running down the grip... But I realized that I am unconsciously moving that finger back to a conventional high hand grip when my low hand is going on the shaft.. My putting grip is so ingrained that I wouldn't have realized this little tidbit if I hadn't been thinking about it during my putting! My low hand index finger will still find it's way onto the shaft 50% of the time though...

It's funny that what you think you do isn't always what you do!

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 6X Blue
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :odyssey-small: Metal-X Milled #2
Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS