Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Impact position, what's the best advice you've heard

Struggling to take a divot after the ball, it is usually right the ball. It feels like the club head has so much momentum it's nearly impossible to hold off. Basically I have very little shaft lean and a slight flip after impact.

What are some thoughts or ideas you have had to work on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So this is the best advice I have gotten and give for this. Our clubs are tools designed to get the ball in the air. We need to let the tool do the work. They work best when you hit down on the back of the ball. Sounds funny but works. Just like throwing a punch you need to do this accelerating thru the ball or your target.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I am not a teaching pro. But I use a constant ball position about 2 ball widths in from my left heel. There is an article floating around somewhere else about low point that is worth a read. A simple google search will get you there.

I started adding a little more forward press last year and I made better contact. Hands hang naturally take my grip which ends up being middle between my pec and shoulder.

I'd find a good instructor to take a look.

My coach has me hit punch shots which helped, and gave me a great low draw to play into the wind to boot. However, when I start getting to say hip height, the club head, for me, seems really hard to hold back. When I think about hitting down it just turns into a snap hook.

I've been reading about the DST club, I have a tour striker, but I feel like I can get away with hardly any shaft lean.

During the masters, which has the greatest app ever, if you watched on the tee of 12, it seemed like all the guys were really sliding toward the target. My lower half is way too active as it is. Perhaps I should try to slide a bit.

Good weight shift will help. I wouldn't worry so much about taking a divot. Make good contact with the ball. The act of hitting down on the ball means on the down swing before you start your follow through. If you actually try to hit down you'll get those snap hooks, and other sorts of miss hits. The ball should be a smidge behind your low point of your swing for irons, wedges and fairways(this depends), and slightly forward of your low point with Driver to get the best launch, but you'd have to get on a launch monitor or have a coach tell you if hitting up/level/or down with your driver suits you and your equipment.

My coach has me hit punch shots which helped, and gave me a great low draw to play into the wind to boot. However, when I start getting to say hip height, the club head, for me, seems really hard to hold back. When I think about hitting down it just turns into a snap hook.

I've been reading about the DST club, I have a tour striker, but I feel like I can get away with hardly any shaft lean.

During the masters, which has the greatest app ever, if you watched on the tee of 12, it seemed like all the guys were really sliding toward the target. My lower half is way too active as it is. Perhaps I should try to slide a bit.

Tour Striker does nothing to help with shaft lean or hand position. DST does

So this is the best advice I have gotten and give for this. Our clubs are tools designed to get the ball in the air. We need to let the tool do the work. They work best when you hit down on the back of the ball. Sounds funny but works. Just like throwing a punch you need to do this accelerating thru the ball or your target.

I hope this helps.

This is a very good start. In my opinion a lot of impact position ambiguity happens because golfers don't embrace the essential physics. Initially the ball rises on an upward arc via Bernoulli's principle. Backspin is created by presenting the clubhead to the ball in a descending arc. Meaning the foundation of majestic towering iron shots is smashing the ball into the ground. Because it bears repeating; smashing the ball into the Earth makes it rise high into the sky. From SW to deuce, they are all the same. If you can start to wrap your head around always making virtually the same descending blow on the ball, the reasoning behind a set of matching clubs with specifically gapped lofts becomes abundantly clear.

Without knowing your specific tendencies I'm only going to offer one more thought. If the clubhead arrives at the ball before your hands, it's impossible (virtually) to create a divot that begins on the target side of the ball. Your hands have a very simple job, gently hold the club, period. They should never pull or flip; just sit quietly on the grip as your hip fires through impact. Just try to forget about the clubhead entirely because its arrival at the ball is an inevitability. By delaying its arrival you are merely storing kinetic energy to release on the ball in a descending arc.

I know it's counterintuitive but try to mentally recategorize the role of your hands in the golf swing. They store energy and then release it. Think of them as a battery and your downswing is the charging cycle. The longer you allow them to charge, the more energy you have to release with passive fury on that annoying little white ball.

I'm going to pour myself a stiff drink now.

please excuse fat (iPhone) thumbs

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

Try "the frisbee" drill. This is to get you to release properly and hit down on the ball. Basically, pretend you have a frisbee in your left hand (If you swing righty). Very simple, take the frisbee back in your normal backswing and then come through and throw the frisbee straight down at the ball. Piece of cake!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Try "the frisbee" drill. This is to get you to release properly and hit down on the ball. Basically, pretend you have a frisbee in your left hand (If you swing righty). Very simple, take the frisbee back in your normal backswing and then come through and throw the frisbee straight down at the ball. Piece of cake!

I like that idea. Great heads up!!

Sent from my SM-N920T using MyGolfSpy mobile app

This is a very good start. In my opinion a lot of impact position ambiguity happens because golfers don't embrace the essential physics. Initially the ball rises on an upward arc via Bernoulli's principle. Backspin is created by presenting the clubhead to the ball in a descending arc. Meaning the foundation of majestic towering iron shots is smashing the ball into the ground. Because it bears repeating; smashing the ball into the Earth makes it rise high into the sky. From SW to deuce, they are all the same. If you can start to wrap your head around always making virtually the same descending blow on the ball, the reasoning behind a set of matching clubs with specifically gapped lofts becomes abundantly clear.

Without knowing your specific tendencies I'm only going to offer one more thought. If the clubhead arrives at the ball before your hands, it's impossible (virtually) to create a divot that begins on the target side of the ball. Your hands have a very simple job, gently hold the club, period. They should never pull or flip; just sit quietly on the grip as your hip fires through impact. Just try to forget about the clubhead entirely because its arrival at the ball is an inevitability. By delaying its arrival you are merely storing kinetic energy to release on the ball in a descending arc.

I know it's counterintuitive but try to mentally recategorize the role of your hands in the golf swing. They store energy and then release it. Think of them as a battery and your downswing is the charging cycle. The longer you allow them to charge, the more you energy have to release with passive fury on that annoying little white ball.

I'm going to pour myself a stiff drink now.

please excuse fat (iPhone) thumbs

:blink: I went and got a drink after reading that.. But well put together post!

I just try to hit the little ball before the big one when I can. :lol:

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Could forward press prior to starting club back

Trial and error feel is dif for ever player what works for me might not work for you. On my 17 th yr was 6.2 at onetime now 9.8 but it's coming along. Look on YouTube should be plenty of drills listed

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I like that idea. Great heads up!!

Sent from my SM-N920T using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I like this too.

Swing bottom for most of us can be elusive. Consistent shaft lean is the thing that leads to consistent swing bottom it seems. Alignment sticks are really good for finding and keeping it without trying to hard to sway into it but rather getting the hands in the right place.

The old challk line, as in the 1 inch (or more) wide sidewalk chalk line in front of the ball works good too. Putting say a 2 foot long by 1 inch wide plus line down on the range is easy to do.Taking out the grass on or in front of the line is easy enough to see.

Something like this frisbee drill that is a simple thought and a repetative action with the left hand sounds really good...

DST may reap big dividends too Im thinking.

Watch Jack Nicklaus on the down swing his first move is to drive is left foot into the ground. It appears his left knee moves toward the target line before hands start down.  I have been working on this move and it has helped me hit solid shots.  It also helped me eliminate my slide.

Try a compression board.  You can do a google search for "golf compression board" and probably create one yourself.

An example of one for sale:

http://www.intheholegolf.com/COMBRD/Striker-3000-Compression-Board-Golf-Trainer.html

I used to be a "flipper" too.... I had the DST for a while and, while it helped, I felt I was getting some bad swing habits to develop.

Now, unless the ball is high on a tee (in which you'd want a positive angle of attack) I remind myself to drive the ball into the ground.

As an aside - there's nothing wrong with being a "sweeper".  Plenty of very good pros sweep the ball off the turf.  However, there is a distinct difference between being a sweeper and flipping the ball.

In my case I was flipping because the clubhead was past my hands at impact.  Never a good thing....  I think I had the ball as the target of my swing rather than the destination.  :(

A lot of things in the swing can cause flipping.  Can you post a video of your swing?

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Try a compression board.  You can do a google search for "golf compression board" and probably create one yourself.

An example of one for sale:

http://www.intheholegolf.com/COMBRD/Striker-3000-Compression-Board-Golf-Trainer.html

I used to be a "flipper" too.... I had the DST for a while and, while it helped, I felt I was getting some bad swing habits to develop.

Now, unless the ball is high on a tee (in which you'd want a positive angle of attack) I remind myself to drive the ball into the ground.

As an aside - there's nothing wrong with being a "sweeper".  Plenty of very good pros sweep the ball off the turf.  However, there is a distinct difference between being a sweeper and flipping the ball.

In my case I was flipping because the clubhead was past my hands at impact.  Never a good thing....  I think I had the ball as the target of my swing rather than the destination.   :(

A lot of things in the swing can cause flipping.  Can you post a video of your swing?

An example of using a lie/compression board... skip forward to 2:49

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

The tire drill. I noticed no one had mentioned that so I signed up here just to answer your question ha ha. It's a great way to develop the feel.

I like a tire much better than an impact bag because it's mass is down low like where the ball would be, but if you keep that in mind an impact bag will work. It needs to be heavy.

Swing at it with a square face instinctively, hard enough to move the tire, then hold impact position. Note the muscles you are using to hold. Then just push the tire and hold. Those are the very muscles you use in the swing to get in that position.

Anything really, that is stationary you can push your club against will work. I push against my car tire while warming up. Think of it as an isometric. 

You should note your trail arm will automatically move into that power position next to your rib cage, and your trail wrist will remain flexed.

Memorizing those feels will help you get better braced going back. Poor lower body bracing is imo a root cause of early release and flipping.

Struggling to take a divot after the ball, it is usually right the ball. It feels like the club head has so much momentum it's nearly impossible to hold off. Basically I have very little shaft lean and a slight flip after impact.

What are some thoughts or ideas you have had to work on this?

Hey bro use these couple pieces of advice and you'll be good to go:

1. Thin shots can be a direct cause of you "humping it", this would be losing your spine angle on the downswing. To fix it, take something on the practice tee to rest your butt against. I literally bring a folding chair and set it up. Your butt should just touch it at address and press against it a little bit at the top of the backswing. You should not stop making contact until right about impact or just a touch after. You may experience some chunks in the early going, but start with some 3/4 wedges to get a feel.

2. Make an "impact bag". Take a small duffle or old backpack and stuff it full of towels. Have the back of the bag in the center of your stance. Take a smooth slow swing and stop at the impact position. You should generate a nice thump at impact to feel that position.

3. No joke on this one because I do it every practice session. HIT BALLS WITH YOUR EYES CLOSED. I'm not even shitting you, I picked this up about 8 years ago. Arnie Frankel actually recommended it. Anyway, after you are warmed up take an 8-iron to start and get setup like normal. Just before you swing, close your eyes and keep them closed the whole swing until just after impact. Now, this could feel really weird, but what you will realize is that you will allow your actual "swing" to happen. Under these conditions I have gotten to a point of "striping" multiple shots in a row with a 3-iron.

Cheers

Burk

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

I would check your grip. A weak grip will force your hands to stay back in order to hit target.

The opposite is true of a strong grip which will encourage your hands to be forward in order to square the club face.

Okay I've had "issues" with divots my entire golfing life and been as low as a 1. Tom Watson barely takes a divot with short irons and rarely any with other clubs.

So the first question is whether there is an issue?

For me it's sometimes. So here's the drills my teacher has given me.

1. Full swing half speed seven irons while trying to throw the club at the guy left of me. I tend to get stuck inside and this helps with that. I sometimes use it to warm up.

2. Set up at impact (weight on outside left instep, hips open, weight on ball of right foot heel in the air). Then swing from there. It's hard at first but you will take a divot.

3. Don't worry if there's no divot on anything over a 6 iron.

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm going to second Rev here if he doesn't mind.

I rarely take a divot unless it's really soft ground. I "bruise" the grass a little all the way up through 2 iron, and that feels like a sweep to me, but it sails like a rocket.

If I do start taking divots I end up hitting fat, usually when I am tired near the end of a 18 hole day.

Hands on your left pocket at impact (for right handed) and vice versa. I had an issue with body rotation and my hands keeping up, my coach told me this and it really clicked for me.

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

Archived