#16 Dgolfer

Dgolfer

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Handicap:4

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:31 AM

Try "the frisbee" drill. This is to get you to release properly and hit down on the ball. Basically, pretend you have a frisbee in your left hand (If you swing righty). Very simple, take the frisbee back in your normal backswing and then come through and throw the frisbee straight down at the ball. Piece of cake!

I like that idea. Great heads up!!

Sent from my SM-N920T using MyGolfSpy mobile app

#17 Undershooter30

Undershooter30

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members

• 2,999 posts
  • Handicap:0.1

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:40 AM

This is a very good start. In my opinion a lot of impact position ambiguity happens because golfers don't embrace the essential physics. Initially the ball rises on an upward arc via Bernoulli's principle. Backspin is created by presenting the clubhead to the ball in a descending arc. Meaning the foundation of majestic towering iron shots is smashing the ball into the ground. Because it bears repeating; smashing the ball into the Earth makes it rise high into the sky. From SW to deuce, they are all the same. If you can start to wrap your head around always making virtually the same descending blow on the ball, the reasoning behind a set of matching clubs with specifically gapped lofts becomes abundantly clear.

Without knowing your specific tendencies I'm only going to offer one more thought. If the clubhead arrives at the ball before your hands, it's impossible (virtually) to create a divot that begins on the target side of the ball. Your hands have a very simple job, gently hold the club, period. They should never pull or flip; just sit quietly on the grip as your hip fires through impact. Just try to forget about the clubhead entirely because its arrival at the ball is an inevitability. By delaying its arrival you are merely storing kinetic energy to release on the ball in a descending arc.

I know it's counterintuitive but try to mentally recategorize the role of your hands in the golf swing. They store energy and then release it. Think of them as a battery and your downswing is the charging cycle. The longer you allow them to charge, the more you energy have to release with passive fury on that annoying little white ball.

I'm going to pour myself a stiff drink now.

please excuse fat (iPhone) thumbs

:blink: I went and got a drink after reading that.. But well put together post!

I just try to hit the little ball before the big one when I can. :lol:

Driver- Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme 8.5* w/ Diamana Ahina 80x 44"
Fairway Metal- Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 3W 13* w/ Matrix 7m4 X 42.5"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Tour Issue Mizuno FliHi 3i w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 465ct X
          Mizuno Mp59 4i-6i w/ Project X 6.5

Mizuno Mp69 7i-pw w/ Project X 6.5
Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 54* w/ rifle spinner shafts and 58* w/ KBS Tour Custom Pearl White
Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- ProV1X

Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

#18 Bags

Bags

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:59 AM

Could forward press prior to starting club back
Trial and error feel is dif for ever player what works for me might not work for you. On my 17 th yr was 6.2 at onetime now 9.8 but it's coming along. Look on YouTube should be plenty of drills listed

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

#19 dadivots

dadivots

SPY ANALYST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:08 PM

I like that idea. Great heads up!!

Sent from my SM-N920T using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I like this too.

Swing bottom for most of us can be elusive. Consistent shaft lean is the thing that leads to consistent swing bottom it seems. Alignment sticks are really good for finding and keeping it without trying to hard to sway into it but rather getting the hands in the right place.

The old challk line, as in the 1 inch (or more) wide sidewalk chalk line in front of the ball works good too. Putting say a 2 foot long by 1 inch wide plus line down on the range is easy to do.Taking out the grass on or in front of the line is easy enough to see.

Something like this frisbee drill that is a simple thought and a repetative action with the left hand sounds really good...

DST may reap big dividends too Im thinking.

#20 pnac66

pnac66

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Handicap:9

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:53 PM

Watch Jack Nicklaus on the down swing his first move is to drive is left foot into the ground. It appears his left knee moves toward the target line before hands start down.  I have been working on this move and it has helped me hit solid shots.  It also helped me eliminate my slide.

#21 Aholland1198

Aholland1198

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Handicap:6

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:38 PM

Thanks so much for the input, everyone.

Has anyone had a chance to work with the DST device?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 strokerAce

strokerAce

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 820 posts
  • LocationFRANKLIN, MA
  • Handicap:13

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:09 PM

Try a compression board.  You can do a google search for "golf compression board" and probably create one yourself.

An example of one for sale:

http://www.inthehole...lf-Trainer.html

I used to be a "flipper" too.... I had the DST for a while and, while it helped, I felt I was getting some bad swing habits to develop.

Now, unless the ball is high on a tee (in which you'd want a positive angle of attack) I remind myself to drive the ball into the ground.

As an aside - there's nothing wrong with being a "sweeper".  Plenty of very good pros sweep the ball off the turf.  However, there is a distinct difference between being a sweeper and flipping the ball.

In my case I was flipping because the clubhead was past my hands at impact.  Never a good thing....  I think I had the ball as the target of my swing rather than the destination.  :(

A lot of things in the swing can cause flipping.  Can you post a video of your swing?

Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 13hc
check out my review of the TomTom 2 Golf GPS Watch! - TomTom2
NOW REVIEWING! Ping Glide 2.0 wedges! - Glide2
Big Dog Titleist 915 D2 diamana red 50s
Little Dog Titleist 906 F4 15.5* graphite design ys6+
Puppy Dog Titleist 816 H1 #3-21* diamana red 60s
Sticks TWG Sterling single length 5-P truetemper XP90s
Branches Ping Glide 2 50/54/58 truetemper XP95
Twig Ping Cadence TR Ketsch 388g Counterbalance

#23 strokerAce

strokerAce

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 820 posts
  • LocationFRANKLIN, MA
  • Handicap:13

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:33 PM

Try a compression board.  You can do a google search for "golf compression board" and probably create one yourself.

An example of one for sale:

http://www.intheholegolf.com/COMBRD/Striker-3000-Compression-Board-Golf-Trainer.html

I used to be a "flipper" too.... I had the DST for a while and, while it helped, I felt I was getting some bad swing habits to develop.

Now, unless the ball is high on a tee (in which you'd want a positive angle of attack) I remind myself to drive the ball into the ground.

As an aside - there's nothing wrong with being a "sweeper".  Plenty of very good pros sweep the ball off the turf.  However, there is a distinct difference between being a sweeper and flipping the ball.

In my case I was flipping because the clubhead was past my hands at impact.  Never a good thing....  I think I had the ball as the target of my swing rather than the destination.   :(

A lot of things in the swing can cause flipping.  Can you post a video of your swing?

An example of using a lie/compression board... skip forward to 2:49

Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 13hc
check out my review of the TomTom 2 Golf GPS Watch! - TomTom2
NOW REVIEWING! Ping Glide 2.0 wedges! - Glide2
Big Dog Titleist 915 D2 diamana red 50s
Little Dog Titleist 906 F4 15.5* graphite design ys6+
Puppy Dog Titleist 816 H1 #3-21* diamana red 60s
Sticks TWG Sterling single length 5-P truetemper XP90s
Branches Ping Glide 2 50/54/58 truetemper XP95
Twig Ping Cadence TR Ketsch 388g Counterbalance

#24 SwingJunkie

SwingJunkie

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationPlanet earth for the most part. haha Alabama
  • Handicap:na

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:49 PM

The tire drill. I noticed no one had mentioned that so I signed up here just to answer your question ha ha. It's a great way to develop the feel.

I like a tire much better than an impact bag because it's mass is down low like where the ball would be, but if you keep that in mind an impact bag will work. It needs to be heavy.

Swing at it with a square face instinctively, hard enough to move the tire, then hold impact position. Note the muscles you are using to hold. Then just push the tire and hold. Those are the very muscles you use in the swing to get in that position.

Anything really, that is stationary you can push your club against will work. I push against my car tire while warming up. Think of it as an isometric. 

You should note your trail arm will automatically move into that power position next to your rib cage, and your trail wrist will remain flexed.

Memorizing those feels will help you get better braced going back. Poor lower body bracing is imo a root cause of early release and flipping.

#25 burkmi08242012

burkmi08242012

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Michigan
  • Handicap:1.9

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:12 AM

Struggling to take a divot after the ball, it is usually right the ball. It feels like the club head has so much momentum it's nearly impossible to hold off. Basically I have very little shaft lean and a slight flip after impact.

What are some thoughts or ideas you have had to work on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey bro use these couple pieces of advice and you'll be good to go:

1. Thin shots can be a direct cause of you "humping it", this would be losing your spine angle on the downswing. To fix it, take something on the practice tee to rest your butt against. I literally bring a folding chair and set it up. Your butt should just touch it at address and press against it a little bit at the top of the backswing. You should not stop making contact until right about impact or just a touch after. You may experience some chunks in the early going, but start with some 3/4 wedges to get a feel.

2. Make an "impact bag". Take a small duffle or old backpack and stuff it full of towels. Have the back of the bag in the center of your stance. Take a smooth slow swing and stop at the impact position. You should generate a nice thump at impact to feel that position.

3. No joke on this one because I do it every practice session. HIT BALLS WITH YOUR EYES CLOSED. I'm not even shitting you, I picked this up about 8 years ago. Arnie Frankel actually recommended it. Anyway, after you are warmed up take an 8-iron to start and get setup like normal. Just before you swing, close your eyes and keep them closed the whole swing until just after impact. Now, this could feel really weird, but what you will realize is that you will allow your actual "swing" to happen. Under these conditions I have gotten to a point of "striping" multiple shots in a row with a 3-iron.

Cheers
Burk

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

What's in the bag?

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour

3-Metal: Callaway Steelhead III

5-Metal: Callaway Big Bertha

Irons: Callaway Steelhead XR Pro

Sw: Nike VRev Tour 54

Lw: Adams Pugliells Black 58

#26 ridgewalker

ridgewalker

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Handicap:8

Posted 27 April 2017 - 04:08 AM

I would check your grip. A weak grip will force your hands to stay back in order to hit target.
The opposite is true of a strong grip which will encourage your hands to be forward in order to square the club face.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

#27 revkev

revkev

AGENT NAME: PHOENIX

• Members

• 7,597 posts
  • LocationSt Petersburg FL
  • Handicap:3.9

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:07 PM

Okay I've had "issues" with divots my entire golfing life and been as low as a 1. Tom Watson barely takes a divot with short irons and rarely any with other clubs.

So the first question is whether there is an issue?

For me it's sometimes. So here's the drills my teacher has given me.

1. Full swing half speed seven irons while trying to throw the club at the guy left of me. I tend to get stuck inside and this helps with that. I sometimes use it to warm up.

2. Set up at impact (weight on outside left instep, hips open, weight on ball of right foot heel in the air). Then swing from there. It's hard at first but you will take a divot.

3. Don't worry if there's no divot on anything over a 6 iron.

Good luck

<p>Driver: G30 10.5</p><p>Fairway woods: Callaway xHot extremes</p><p>Hybrid: SLDR S (not C) </p><p>Irons: Wilson C 200 aldila rogue 75 5-PW     2 degrees flat</p><p>Wedges: SCOR 48, 53, 60 Genius graphite  2 degrees flat </p><p>Putter Never Comprimise Vodoo Daddy 32.5"</p><p>Bag: Nike Cart</p><p>Ball: Bridgestone B330 RX, Snell MTB

#28 Shankster

Shankster

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • LocationNo Mans Land
  • Handicap:WX

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:07 PM

I'm going to second Rev here if he doesn't mind.

I rarely take a divot unless it's really soft ground. I "bruise" the grass a little all the way up through 2 iron, and that feels like a sweep to me, but it sails like a rocket.

If I do start taking divots I end up hitting fat, usually when I am tired near the end of a 18 hole day.

Alan Shanks

Taylormade R1
Taylormade SLDR TS
Taylormade Jetspeed 2Hy
Titleist 712u 3 iron
Taylormade RocketBladez Tour 3-PW
Taylormade Tour Preffered 52°
Taylormade Tour Preffered 56°
Taylormade Tour Preffered 60°
Taylormade Ghost Tour Maranello
Titleist Pro V1