TESTERS WANTED! ×

ULTIMATE REVIEW! – Solus FC-10 Wedge Review

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

solus-fc-10-banner.jpg

black-dotted-lines28.jpg

fc-10-21.jpg

Solus Golf - For The Non-Brandwashed Golfer

Here at MyGolfSpy we often talk about the tendency of some golfers to become "Brandwashed". You know who these guys are. They're the ones with 14 clubs (or 13 clubs and a Cameron) all with the same logo. Why they buy what they buy is a mystery. Maybe it's what their favorite golfer plays, maybe they figure if a certain brand advertises itself as being the most popular, driver, hybrid, iron or wedge on tour then it absolutely has to be the best club for them. Whatever the reason, these guys love what they love, and more often than not, there's no convincing them that maybe, just maybe they should consider something different.

As insidious as it is to be "BrandWashed", there is a nameless affliction several times more severe. There exists in some golfers a total and complete negative bias against one or many manufacturers, based not on previous experience, performance, or any other rational basis. Instead these biases are born from silly little things like maybe you didn't like a pair of the company's tennis shoes back in '84, or maybe you think Davis Love and Duffy Waldorf are snooty names, or perhaps like me, you saw a product advertised in a half-hour infomercial on The Golf Channel and decided unequivocally that it's on an infomercial, it must be crap.

"This wedge is now a constant fixture in my bag and has been since early April when I took it out on a golf course for the first time", says GolfSpy.

Such was my introduction to Solus Golf. I had barely taken up the game when I saw my first Solus infomercial. Back in those days I was solidly brandwashed myself. I had a 14 clubs in my bag, all with the same logo. I wasn't about to waste my time listening to some no name company with a funny little wedge and a goofy little sole grind tell me that their wedge was better than mine. Who the hell do they think they are?

READ FULL REVIEW: CLICK HERE

Help Spread The Word: Just click the "Share" button on the top of the article.

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

We've added something new and a little bit different with this review. Let us know what you think.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Very nice review. My only "complaint" is that I don't have a baseline to compare the Solus's accuracy to. I'm also a little surprised by their price ($150). With the Scratch 8620 at $99 (which I'm insanely happy with), the price factor really takes Solus out of the picture for me.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Very nice review. My only "complaint" is that I don't have a baseline to compare the Solus's accuracy to. I'm also a little surprised by their price ($150). With the Scratch 8620 at $99 (which I'm insanely happy with), the price factor really takes Solus out of the picture for me.

From a market placement perspective, the FC-10 compares more to Scratch's 1018 forged wedges than the 8620s. So in that respect, I think the price isn't completely out of line. Of course, if you're happy with your wedges, then there's absolutely no reason to switch. My experience has been that always seeking the next best thing does more harm than good.

Regarding your complaint about a baseline, yeah, we're aware, and we agree. Essentially we had two pools of wedges to pull from; our test samples, and the stuff that's been in our bags for quite a while. Obviously when you're trying to put a score on performance, it's not really fair to compare a new wedge to a not-so-new wedge (especially when so many golfers are focused on spin numbers). As far as new wedges go, we only have a few on hand, so it's not really enough to do a reasonable head to head comparison at this time.

As an aside, I hope to do a lot more with wedges (I've got 4 or 5 different ideas on the table right now). I'm not a putter fanatic, but I certainly understand that passion that they stir up in so many golfers. That's exactly how I feel about wedges.

There are also other logistical issues with the reviews themselves. Striking a balance between good, meaningful content, without overwhelming the reader with data and inane details is tricky as well.

That said, we have a plan in the works which will address exactly these issue, not only for wedges, but for every club we review.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

From a market placement perspective, the FC-10 compares more to Scratch's 1018 forged wedges than the 8620s. So in that respect, I think the price isn't completely out of line.

That's an excellent point, thank you, and I never thought $150 was out of line, just too high to be a "must try."

Thanks for your response regarding my "complaint." I certainly appreciate the difficulty of trying to achieve a baseline, I just thought it was worth mentioning. MGS does the best job BY FAR of giving objective data and great reviews. I also really appreciate that you guys do more than just hype the latest line from the giants, you bring clubs like Solus into the light and let us know whether or not they're worth a serious look.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Archived